2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Are you happy with the Thunder’s draft night decisions?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Yes
36%
No
18%
Not sure
45%

Total votes: 11

Thunder Up
Senior
And1: 197

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#101 » by Thunder Up » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:13 am

add Jalen Smith to my list if his shooting improvement this year is legit
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#102 » by getrichordie » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:41 am

Thunder Up wrote:add Jalen Smith to my list if his shooting improvement this year is legit

I’m all aboard the Jalen Smith train too. I wouldn’t be mad if Presti got him. I can see him being apart of our future going forward. I just really like his game and I think he can defend 3 maybe 4 positions.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#103 » by getrichordie » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:43 am

Just throwing a couple of guards out there:

Immanuel Quickley
Samir Doughty
Jalen Harris (Nevada)
Seneca Knight

Forwards:

Franz Wagner
Marek Dolezaj
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#104 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Mar 5, 2020 12:15 pm

Even the teams that aren’t going to make the playoffs seem like decent possibilities to trade for a win now player- Kings, Suns, Bulls, Knicks, Warriors, Hawks, Bulls, Wolves, Blazers, and probably a few others. Add in the fact that teams already in playoff contention likely have little cap space and it just makes sense for okc to be aggressive in this years draft. I think people are confusing the fact that this isn’t a strong draft class to mean that there aren’t any good players. Sam’s patience so far makes it necessary for him to be more aggressive this offseason. If not, you have to wonder if shai is really considered a long term piece here.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#105 » by getrichordie » Thu Mar 5, 2020 5:57 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Even the teams that aren’t going to make the playoffs seem like decent possibilities to trade for a win now player- Kings, Suns, Bulls, Knicks, Warriors, Hawks, Bulls, Wolves, Blazers, and probably a few others. Add in the fact that teams already in playoff contention likely have little cap space and it just makes sense for okc to be aggressive in this years draft. I think people are confusing the fact that this isn’t a strong draft class to mean that there aren’t any good players. Sam’s patience so far makes it necessary for him to be more aggressive this offseason. If not, you have to wonder if shai is really considered a long term piece here.

I’m not sold on a bunch of the players in our range. I’d rather see Presti trade back, acquire further assets and pick up some early 2nd rounders. I think there’s some impact players that can be had in that range.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#106 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Mar 5, 2020 6:05 pm

getrichordie wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Even the teams that aren’t going to make the playoffs seem like decent possibilities to trade for a win now player- Kings, Suns, Bulls, Knicks, Warriors, Hawks, Bulls, Wolves, Blazers, and probably a few others. Add in the fact that teams already in playoff contention likely have little cap space and it just makes sense for okc to be aggressive in this years draft. I think people are confusing the fact that this isn’t a strong draft class to mean that there aren’t any good players. Sam’s patience so far makes it necessary for him to be more aggressive this offseason. If not, you have to wonder if shai is really considered a long term piece here.

I’m not sold on a bunch of the players in our range. I’d rather see Presti trade back, acquire further assets and pick up some early 2nd rounders. I think there’s some impact players that can be had in that range.

I’m not sold on a lot of them but I really like a few of them, Advija, Toppin, Okongkwu and a few others. Presti has had more success trading up rather than trading back. I would like to see him make an Ibaka- like trade with some of our vets to move up. Even trading up for 20 just a few spaces could get us a decent player if someone falls.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#107 » by getrichordie » Thu Mar 5, 2020 6:29 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

I’m not sold on a lot of them but I really like a few of them, Advija, Toppin, Okongkwu and a few others. Presti has had more success trading up rather than trading back. I would like to see him make an Ibaka- like trade with some of our vets to move up. Even trading up for 20 just a few spaces could get us a decent player if someone falls.

I think Okungwu will be solid in the NBA but he’s nothing to get excited about. I think Stewart can be had at a lower price and can provide most of what Okungwu can.

I don’t see a lot of Toppin’s game translating to the NBA. His shooting is fine, but he’s not going to beat players off the dribble with his size like he does in college. He will be solid for some NBA team, I just don’t think he fits Presti’s vision for the team.

I like Avidja a lot but I don’t think he will be available and he should go top 5. We aren’t movi up that high unless we can get Wiseman or Edwards.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#108 » by jambalaya » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:35 am

Another decent prospect who might be available at pick or with minor move up would be Nesmith. Offense (great shooting) but pretty big & athletic.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#109 » by getrichordie » Sat Mar 7, 2020 8:16 pm

jambalaya wrote:Another decent prospect who might be available at pick or with minor move up would be Nesmith. Offense (great shooting) but pretty big & athletic.

6'6 wing with a 6'10 wingspan who can do a little bit of everything. If he's available or in our range and we don't nab him, I'd be a little upset. He'll be coming off a stress fracture in his right foot, so medical information is going to be very important.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#110 » by jambalaya » Sun Mar 8, 2020 7:18 am

Possibly under-rated? Azubuike, Queta, Pritchard, Ayayi, Oturu? These are questions at this point. I need to watch video later.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Mar 8, 2020 12:56 pm

Is losing our pick this year the worst thing? If we lose it this year in a weaker draft, we keep our future second round pick in what is potentially the double draft.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#112 » by getrichordie » Sun Mar 8, 2020 5:54 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Is losing our pick this year the worst thing? If we lose it this year in a weaker draft, we keep our future second round pick in what is potentially the double draft.

Fair point. But that just means we have to wait longer to start developing a prospect. You’re talking about next year’s draft, right?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,497

Post#113 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:27 am

ThunderBolt wrote:Is losing our pick this year the worst thing? If we lose it this year in a weaker draft, we keep our future second round pick in what is potentially the double draft.

This isn't a weak draft. It is considered weak at the top because there isn't a Zion or other top tier guy. This draft is deep with quality prospects. This draft is not weak in the 20s and is arguably a better draft there then most years. Yes, losing their first for future seconds is bad. The player they would get at 20 is going to be a significantly better prospect then anyone they would likely get in the future in the 40s.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#114 » by jambalaya » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:51 am

Markus Howard may be a candidate for the second round pick. PG, scorer.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#115 » by jambalaya » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:01 pm

Other guys who might be available for the late second rounder? Mays, Pritchard, Perry. But probably not. So I'd try to trade up (maybe to about 40), take a stash with potential upside or trade out.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#116 » by getrichordie » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:53 pm

jambalaya wrote:Other guys who might be available for the late second rounder? Mays, Pritchard, Perry. But probably not. So I'd try to trade up (maybe to about 40), take a stash with potential upside or trade out.

These are the guys I have in our SRP range (this is from my personal top 60 BB)

45. Jordan Nwora*
46. Elijah Hughes*
47. Jeremiah Robinson-Earl*
48. Osasumwen Osaghae
49. Abdoulaye N'Doye

50. Vernon Carey Jr.*
51. Skylar Mays
52. Myles Powell
53. Grant Riller
54. Neemias Queta
55. John Petty*
56. Cassius Winston

57. Tyrell Terry*
58. Desmond Bane
59. Chris Smith
60. Reggie Perry*

I can see Presti taking a shot on a big like Queta or Osaghae. He could also shoot for a project wing in N’Doye or go for the competitive Mays who can do a little bit of everything and potentially lead our second unit in the future. A dark horse I like is Petty. Dude can shoot from NBA range with ease.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#117 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:16 am

I really hope McDaniels falls far enough to where we can trade up for him. I’m super high on him. If not, Khalil Whitney just feels like a Sam Presti special at #25...
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#118 » by jambalaya » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:19 am

Whitney at 25 would suck. 52? Whatever. Probably goes undrafted. Might have to take a 2way deal.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#119 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:28 am

jambalaya wrote:Whitney at 25 would suck. 52? Whatever. Probably goes undrafted. Might have to take a 2way deal.

Not saying I agree with it. Just saying I can see Presti doing something stupid like that a la Huestis.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#120 » by jambalaya » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:26 am

For the first rounder, I think the basic choice is trade up significantly for Vassell, Nesmith or Pokusevski or make sure you can get who want among Jalen Smith, Tre Jones, Tyler Bey and Paul Reed.

If they were super-confident Toppin or Haliburton was the right guy / fit, they could try to move way up but it seems unlikely or quite costly.

If you didn't like the picks available at 25, turning it into 2-3 seconds, now and perhaps later, might be ok.

Poku would be the biggest gamble of these.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder