ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVIII

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVIII 

Post#1621 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:41 am

Ruzious wrote:A Nets fan suggested Rui for Allen and Caris LaVert. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1950597&p=82483146#p82483146

I’d do it in a second.
In Rizzo we trust
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1622 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:11 am

Ruzious wrote:Sheesh, going back 4 years to pick out gotcha posts? Luckily, I've never been wrong in the last 4 years. You guys don't know how lucky you are to not have the burden of being right all the time.

That's right, Ruz. It's just you & I to carry that weight. I don't know how we do it. I feel for us, I really do.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1623 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:17 am

DCZards wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:...Well played. You must be working from home with too little to do :D

Guess you were right on Beal... he is a borderline all-star. Can you pull up your posts on Wall again? :D

Actually, I was somewhat wrong about Beal…turns out he’s borderline All-NBA.

The record will show that I’ve also been mostly right about Wall over the years. But I’m sure PIF would be happy to show you where I was dead wrong about Andrew Nicholson, Trey Burke and a few others. :D

Of course you were dead wrong about one thing or another -- & more than one! Who isn't? 'Cept me 'n Ruz, that is.... We were right about all the things you were right about, & we were right about all the things you were wrong about.

In fact, the only times we've ever been wrong were the times Ruz was differing with me, & I was right.

Now... what any of those things we were right about... what they were... that I can't quite recall. & I don't have time to look into the history, man: I'm too busy preparing the correct answers for questions that haven't been asked yet!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1624 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Apr 3, 2020 5:43 pm

I would like to trade the covid-19 scare for the Ebola scare.

No one seemed to care during the AIDS epidemic. But I guess there was not quite the same type of contagion then. In fact it was a sexually or intravenous drug or transfusion transmission. Covid seems to be like savoir faire. It's everywhere.

Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#1625 » by Rafael122 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:38 pm

So it looks like the Jazz might have to move Gobert as a result of this COVID-19 situation. Mitchell is their franchise guy and they're not going to want to piss him off.

My proposed trade: Thomas Bryant, Troy Brown Jr, Ish Smith, Jerome Robinson, Top 10 protected 1st round pick for Rudy Gobert. Works in the ESPN Trade Machine.

Wiz re-sign Bertans and Napier.

PG - Wall/Napier
SG - Beal/?
SF - ?/Bonga
PF - Hachimura/Bertans
C - Gobert/Wagner
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1626 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:12 pm

Rafael122 wrote:So it looks like the Jazz might have to move Gobert as a result of this COVID-19 situation. Mitchell is their franchise guy and they're not going to want to piss him off.

My proposed trade: Thomas Bryant, Troy Brown Jr, Ish Smith, Jerome Robinson, Top 10 protected 1st round pick for Rudy Gobert. Works in the ESPN Trade Machine.

Wiz re-sign Bertans and Napier.

PG - Wall/Napier
SG - Beal/?
SF - ?/Bonga
PF - Hachimura/Bertans
C - Gobert/Wagner

Yeah, he's gonna need to hire a PR firm - even Utah fans seem to want him out. Of course, that also lowers his trade value. And it'd be awfully expensive to pay Wall, Beal, and Rudy - and adding in Bertans.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1627 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:59 pm

Well, what do I know?... but, if I had to guess, I'd say there's less here than meets the eye. Gobert seems to have been careless, but that's not so very surprising, is it? Moreover, the quotes from Mitchell that I have read don't support the idea of some irreparable break.

Finally, this is business not a Batman comic. Management sits down with Mitchell, & asks "Do you really want us to trade Rudy? B/c if we have to, then we aren't going to get value for him, & all the work we've all done to move towards a title, including your work, goes down the drain. So... maybe you'd rather talk it out with this guy you've been playing with -- & both playing so well! -- the last few years?"

And... the problem soon goes away. Once Covid's a memory, so is the problem.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1628 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:21 pm

Not to mention that the result of the trade is a nightmare. We are at $125m for 10 players (assuming @ $15m for Bertans -- which everyone here seems to be happy to pay him -- plus $3m for Napier & $1m for whoever we take with the Bulls pick in R2).

One of the 10 hasn't shown he can play in the league at all (Schofield). A second hasn't yet shown he's going to be average starter level (Rui). A third hasn't shown he's a replacement level bench player (Wagner). A fourth is a R2 rookie. A fifth is a very promising, but young & raw Euro-player (Bonga). A sixth is a veteran journeyman combo guard (Napier). A seventh turns 28 later this year & has never been a starter in the league (Bertans).

The other three are Wall, Beal, & Gobert. Wall will be 30 & coming off a major injury. Gobert will be expiring. He'll need a max salary, obviously. Which we could not give him.

In short... no, we cannot trade for Rudy Gobert!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1629 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:25 am

payitforward wrote:Not to mention that the result of the trade is a nightmare. We are at $125m for 10 players (assuming @ $15m for Bertans -- which everyone here seems to be happy to pay him -- plus $3m for Napier & $1m for whoever we take with the Bulls pick in R2).

One of the 10 hasn't shown he can play in the league at all (Schofield). A second hasn't yet shown he's going to be average starter level (Rui). A third hasn't shown he's a replacement level bench player (Wagner). A fourth is a R2 rookie. A fifth is a very promising, but young & raw Euro-player (Bonga). A sixth is a veteran journeyman combo guard (Napier). A seventh turns 28 later this year & has never been a starter in the league (Bertans).

The other three are Wall, Beal, & Gobert. Wall will be 30 & coming off a major injury. Gobert will be expiring. He'll need a max salary, obviously. Which we could not give him.

In short... no, we cannot trade for Rudy Gobert!

Correct - the money doesn't work out, and the team really wouldn't work out. It'll be interesting to see how Utah fans react to him when play finally starts back up.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1630 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:34 pm

Meh... no big deal, really. A couple of young athletes, I imagine they're both completely recovered. & no real trouble caused either.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1631 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:28 pm

payitforward wrote:Meh... no big deal, really. A couple of young athletes, I imagine they're both completely recovered. & no real trouble caused either.

It might become ok between them - but I wouldn't assume everyone's going to forgive Gobert.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1632 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:53 pm

Does Karl Anthony Towns' mom passing in any way connect with the virus Gobert helped spread?

Sent from my SM-A205U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1633 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:01 pm

An interesting trade idea was brought up on the Trade Board: Jarrett Allen and Brooklyn's 1st rounder (20) to Washington for the 9th pick, Mo Wags, and a 2nd rounder. It wasn't brought up by a Wiz fan, and it got favorable reviews. I was surprised - seems to me it's a heckuva trade for Washington.
Hibachi_0
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#1634 » by Hibachi_0 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:12 am

Ruzious wrote:An interesting trade idea was brought up on the Trade Board: Jarrett Allen and Brooklyn's 1st rounder (20) to Washington for the 9th pick, Mo Wags, and a 2nd rounder. It wasn't brought up by a Wiz fan, and it got favorable reviews. I was surprised - seems to me it's a heckuva trade for Washington.

Nice trade. Without any clear option to use our 9th pick, getting better inside and still being able to pick in the first round sounds as a great trade to me.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1635 » by Ruzious » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:19 pm

Hibachi_0 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:An interesting trade idea was brought up on the Trade Board: Jarrett Allen and Brooklyn's 1st rounder (20) to Washington for the 9th pick, Mo Wags, and a 2nd rounder. It wasn't brought up by a Wiz fan, and it got favorable reviews. I was surprised - seems to me it's a heckuva trade for Washington.

Nice trade. Without any clear option to use our 9th pick, getting better inside and still being able to pick in the first round sounds as a great trade to me.

In that thread, Brooklyn fans like it more than Washington fans.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,339

Post#1636 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:54 pm

Seems pretty good to me. Allen is better than what we're likely to find with the #9 pick, and we still end up with the #20 pick to add depth.

The only problem I see is that Allen will be a free agent next year in a frothy free agency market. He might command a ridiculous salary which would make our long term cap structure untenable. It's going to be pretty hard to pay Allen and Bertans while also carrying the contracts of Wall and Beal.

I'd like it a lot better if Allen would agree to an extension for something less than $15M a year.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1637 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:09 am

That's a great trade for us. Allen is about to turn 22 next week. He's younger than a number of guys in the draft! nate does make a valid point about potential salary problems, but there would be lots of ways to deal with that.

I wonder whether they'd take Rui instead of our #9 pick? Then we could trade the #9 & #20 for the #3 & a high R2 pick -- come away with Rui's guy Okongwu, plus Paul Reed or Tyler Bey.

Imagine if we'd taken Boston's #17 pick for Bertans at the deadline & then we did make this trade. With Allen & those 2 picks (#17 & 20), we'd have taken a huge step towards becoming a contending team.

Or if we'd done the deal with Boston, their #17 & our #9 would be likely to bring us back the #3 pick along with one near the top of R2 -- we'd be in a position to nab Ruzious's guy Okongwu along with, say, Paul Reed or Tyler Bey. Then take Bolmaro with the Bulls' #37. Plus, Boston might well have included their #46 pick in that trade -- add Xavier Tillman to the haul!

We'd have tremendous flexibility, & we'd have trade assets -- e.g. Okongwu might put us in a position to trade Thomas Bryant: he'd bring a mid-R1 pick next year at the very least.

But... we didn't trade Bertans. Foolishly.
& we wouldn't offer Rui in place of our #9 pick in this trade: we are "all in" on Rui.

Even so, this remains an outstanding trade for us. Along w/ Allen, we could add Nesmith at #20. We can, & I hope we will, buy a high R2 pick from Elton Brand & take 1 of Paul Reed, Tyler Bey, or Leandro Bolmaro. Then sign Neemias Queta undrafted.

Add Allen, Nesmith, Reed or Bolmaro & Queta next year? Maybe Tillman too? Yes!
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1638 » by gambitx777 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:40 am

I still wouldn't trade rui right now.hes still going to have about as much value in a year or two as he does now if he doesn't take a jump. If he does take a jump or two the. He's worth a lot more !

I feel you trade Bryant and a second for temple and Allen . They are comparable in value to me but they do different things and Bryant fits better with what Jordan does and isn't going to be as expensive to keep Allen. Sign him to a 10-15 mill extension and moving Bryant midigates the cost. But you can then take the best player at 9

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1639 » by payitforward » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:33 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I still wouldn't trade rui right now.hes still going to have about as much value in a year or two as he does now if he doesn't take a jump. If he does take a jump or two the. He's worth a lot more !

I feel you trade Bryant and a second for temple and Allen . They are comparable in value to me but they do different things and Bryant fits better with what Jordan does and isn't going to be as expensive to keep Allen. Sign him to a 10-15 mill extension and moving Bryant midigates the cost. But you can then take the best player at 9

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

No on both your claims, from my POV.

Rui's value won't stay the same. & if he'd be worth more if he got better -- that's true about any player, & if it were a reason not to make a trade there would be no trades made.

Plus I would have no interest in Temple, he isn't worth the Bulls R2 pick this year for example -- & anyway I don't want to trade any more draft picks. Nor would the Nets give us Allen for Bryant straight up.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1640 » by dangermouse » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:34 am

Jarrett Allen would be great for this team. Good fit next to Rui. I'd do that trade in a heartbeat if we are picking around #6-10 this year.

In other news I am so bored of this god damn pandemic
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.

Return to Washington Wizards