ImageImage

Does anyone have the virus?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Does anyone have the virus? 

Post#1 » by d-train » Thu Apr 9, 2020 7:42 pm

So far, I don't know anyone that has the virus. At least not that I know of.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Re: Does anyone have the virus? 

Post#2 » by Norm2953 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 10:22 pm

We’ll all likely know when the fast 5-10 minute test comes online next month
d-train
RealGM

Post#3 » by d-train » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:03 am

Norm2953 wrote:We’ll all likely know when the fast 5-10 minute test comes online next month

We should know before then. 5 days is the median time before an infected person that isn't asymptomatic gets symptoms. 80% of 2.5M people tested are negative, and this is while you need a reason to get the test. If the testing ever goes random, the infected rate will be less because a much larger percentage of people without symptoms will get tested.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#4 » by Goldbum » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:49 am

I'm not going to break any medical nondisclosure laws by posting information on a basketball forum... but I can promise you it is very very real. In fact the numbers at least here in Utah are intentionally under reported. If nationally it's as minimalized as it is here I would guess we are in for a long road.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
d-train
RealGM

Post#5 » by d-train » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:57 am

Goldbum wrote:I'm not going to break any medical nondisclosure laws by posting information on a basketball forum... but I can promise you it is very very real. In fact the numbers at least here in Utah are intentionally under reported. If nationally it's as minimalized as it is here I would guess we are in for a long road.

Of course, the virus is real and lots of people have it. And, more people have it than we know. It's estimated that many people had it and recovered without knowing they had it. All this can be true, and still most people don't have it.

Apparently, antibody testing is going to be a big thing going forward. So, we will eventually have lots of good data.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#6 » by Matt800 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:43 am

d-train wrote:
Goldbum wrote:I'm not going to break any medical nondisclosure laws by posting information on a basketball forum... but I can promise you it is very very real. In fact the numbers at least here in Utah are intentionally under reported. If nationally it's as minimalized as it is here I would guess we are in for a long road.

Of course, the virus is real and lots of people have it. And, more people have it than we know. It's estimated that many people had it and recovered without knowing they had it. All this can be true, and still most people don't have it.

Apparently, antibody testing is going to be a big thing going forward. So, we will eventually have lots of good data.

A study in china tested 175 people who had recovered from covid19 and about 30% had little to no antibodies. So it's possible the antibody testing will not be super accurate. Also potentially concerning that some people may not develop immunity after having it.
This pandemic may be an issue for a long time, but I'm optimistic that people will do enough physical distancing to slow the rate of spread and health care treatments will improve to lower the death rate, and hopefully lower the need for hospitalization.

And to answer the original question, I have an acquaintance that has been posting about their case on social media. Seems like they were in bed for weeks, and were cleared through a test recently but still are very weak and not able to do much.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#7 » by cdubbz » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:14 am

Feels like Oregon/Portland has been doing fairly well.

Early March I left work sick and was in bed from 10am until night time. Had no energy to do anything at all -not even sit on the couch and watch tv. Turns out it was just food poisoning from Buffalo Wild Wings. Felt great the next day after puking.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#8 » by Village Idiot » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:03 pm

I don't qualify for testing but I am pretty sure I have Covid. I'm now in my 4th week of sickness. After the first week my GP put me on antibiotics but they didn't help much. To begin with I had fever, coughing and fatigue. Only this week am I able to walk up the stairs in my house without being completely winded. This bug makes breathing a struggle. I still cough and sleep a lot but have been working online this week. Hopefully the cough will be gone during this weekend so I can go outside again.

My wife's friend is dating a guy in NYC who's brother died two weeks ago.

Happy Easter and stay safe everyone.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#9 » by Norm2953 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:58 pm

Please take care of yourself.

According to Chris Cuomo (CNN anchor), the virus is an aggressive virus that wants you on your back. The
best thing you can do is force yourself out of bed, walk around and be as active as you can handle.
d-train
RealGM

Post#10 » by d-train » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:59 pm

Village Idiot wrote:I don't qualify for testing but I am pretty sure I have Covid. I'm now in my 4th week of sickness. After the first week my GP put me on antibiotics but they didn't help much. To begin with I had fever, coughing and fatigue. Only this week am I able to walk up the stairs in my house without being completely winded. This bug makes breathing a struggle. I still cough and sleep a lot but have been working online this week. Hopefully the cough will be gone during this weekend so I can go outside again.

My wife's friend is dating a guy in NYC who's brother died two weeks ago.

Happy Easter and stay safe everyone.

Do they tell you why you don't qualify for the test? Are you being treated as if you have the covid virus?

Good luck with your recovery. Hopefully, everything go as well as possible.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#11 » by Shem » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:47 am

I had the virus. I'm making a good recovery. I did all the necessary social distancing, washing hands, not touching face, rarely left the house etc. I even went a step further when I rarely went out in public carrying around a sanitation wipe and wiped down EVERYTHING I touched. Took off my clothes when I came through the door and spayed them with Lysol and then got them ready to go into the wash. But somehow I got it anyway. What that tells me is that ANYONE is at risk once you leave your home and go out into public to buy groceries, etc. You can do just about everything right and still get it. It's that contageous. Especially knowing that the virus can float in the air 2-3 hours from an infected person. So someone infected was in an area maybe 60-90 minutes ago before I got there and I somehow breathed it in, or it floated into my eye, etc.

My symptoms were very similar to Chris Cuomo's experience with the virus which was helpful to see to understand what I was going through. It's not something I recommend getting because I had mild symptoms according to the doctor. It takes over a week to get over it.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#12 » by zzaj » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:09 am

Village Idiot and Shem, I'm really, really happy you both seem to making it through relatively unscathed.

I lost a friend and fellow musician in NYC from Covid, with a few more that tested positive but seem to have recovered. What an absolutely tragic turn of events for the globe and the future of our economy.

On the bright side, I'm fairly confident that multiple antivirals will be available in September which would change things--even if they are only good for 8-10 weeks. My sister-in-law is the head of pulmonary oncology at Providence. She's confident that fast-tracked vaccines will be available in early spring of next year.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#13 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:53 pm

If you don't have to leave the house, don't. Take care of yourself now so you won't have to do this all over again this summer. Be safe!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#14 » by d-train » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:17 pm

There is new data out that supposedly suggests that for every 1 symptomatic person with the China coronavirus there are 7-8 asymptomatic infected people. So, there is a lot more infected people than we previously thought.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#15 » by deanwoof » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:39 am

For the folks that live on Portland area, drive through testing via OHSU was quick and simple this week out in Hillsboro at the high school.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
d-train
RealGM

Post#16 » by d-train » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:20 am

Who is a little bit of a hypochondriac like me? I try to be sensible, but every time I get a little bit of a sore throat, a cough, or an upset stomach, my imagination takes over. I would pay $1000 for a test that would put my mind at ease.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#17 » by PDXKnight » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:26 am

d-train wrote:There is new data out that supposedly suggests that for every 1 symptomatic person with the China coronavirus there are 7-8 asymptomatic infected people. So, there is a lot more infected people than we previously thought.

In LA it was 55 times as much supposedly according to antibody tests. If these numbers are accurate our death rate is far far lower and the shutdowns need to end. But I say this, of course, knowing that we need to ensure these numbers are accurate in other areas and other test groups before we jump to conclusions & reopen to business as usual
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#18 » by PDXKnight » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:28 am

d-train wrote:Who is a little bit of a hypochondriac like me? I try to be sensible, but every time I get a little bit of a sore throat, a cough, or an upset stomach, my imagination takes over. I would pay $1000 for a test that would put my mind at ease.

When you work in a small city within a city you basically get used to the idea that you might get it. Helps when you’re 30 opposed to 80 as well I suppose given the death rates for older folks compared to young :-?
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#19 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:02 am

Oden2 wrote:If these numbers are accurate our death rate is far far lower and the shutdowns need to end.

Just ignore the massive numbers of people who had serious enough complications that it overwhelmed the health care systems or that they are still finding out new things about it, such as it causing blood clotting and strokes in young people.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#20 » by Matt800 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:27 am

Oden2 wrote:
d-train wrote:There is new data out that supposedly suggests that for every 1 symptomatic person with the China coronavirus there are 7-8 asymptomatic infected people. So, there is a lot more infected people than we previously thought.

In LA it was 55 times as much supposedly according to antibody tests. If these numbers are accurate our death rate is far far lower and the shutdowns need to end. But I say this, of course, knowing that we need to ensure these numbers are accurate in other areas and other test groups before we jump to conclusions & reopen to business as usual

The studies toward estimating percentage of population who has had covid19 through antibody tests have been poorly done. The one in Santa Clara tested 3330 people and got 50 positives. The issue is they advertised through facebook asking if people wanted a free test to see if they had it, which creates a bias by people who were exposed or think they had the virus being more inclined to sign up. The accuracy of the tests was also not precise enough for their test size. Their rate of having false positives was 2 out of 401. Which on a scale of 3330 would mean over 16 false positives. When the total was 50 positives, 16 is a huge amount of error. https://medium.com/@balajis/peer-review-of-covid-19-antibody-seroprevalence-in-santa-clara-county-california-1f6382258c25

And even if the death rate were lower it does not discount the amount of severe cases that can potentially overwhelm hospitals. Or the hospital workers dying, or quitting due to this situation further lowering the available care. It also doesn't factor in the long term complications from having covid19. There is already evidence of younger people who had mild cases of covid19 that have long term organ damage.

We also don't know how effective the shutdowns have been. Clearly they help, but what aspects help and what others aren't necessary? There is a lot that would be helpful to know more about.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers