ImageImageImage

Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,936

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#861 » by DayofMourning » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:12 am

Does Gobert to Golden State make too much sense? The rift seems like a pretty bizarre story to me, but if someone has to go, then Rudy to GS for their 1st and whatever filler seems to be an interesting deal. It's great for GSW, who gets exactly what they need in a lost year. Nobody in this draft will satisfy what they need right now.

For Utah, it's more about salvaging a weird situation. Getting a top pick to groom with Donovan would seem to be the best return they could expect for a guy with a year left on his deal.
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#862 » by IggieCC » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:49 am

DayofMourning wrote:Does Gobert to Golden State make too much sense? The rift seems like a pretty bizarre story to me, but if someone has to go, then Rudy to GS for their 1st and whatever filler seems to be an interesting deal. It's great for GSW, who gets exactly what they need in a lost year. Nobody in this draft will satisfy what they need right now.

For Utah, it's more about salvaging a weird situation. Getting a top pick to groom with Donovan would seem to be the best return they could expect for a guy with a year left on his deal.

GS getting DPOY center for free in a tank year that's canceled for a pandemic? Free recovery year for Steph and Klay? Free Andrew Wiggins?

Sheesh Dom
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#863 » by DayofMourning » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:00 am

IggieCC wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:Does Gobert to Golden State make too much sense? The rift seems like a pretty bizarre story to me, but if someone has to go, then Rudy to GS for their 1st and whatever filler seems to be an interesting deal. It's great for GSW, who gets exactly what they need in a lost year. Nobody in this draft will satisfy what they need right now.

GS getting DPOY center for free in a tank year that's canceled for a pandemic? Free recovery year for Steph and Klay? Free Andrew Wiggins?

Sheesh Dom

Spurs took advantage of that kind of year twice. Other teams probably did too. Go from being a contender, to having some big time bad luck, to having amazing luck. Golden State with a DPOY candidate at center would be pretty nutty. Draymond would take all the credit.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#864 » by DayofMourning » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:59 pm

]

Orlando Shaquille was one of the best things to ever happen to the NBA...

I got into basketball during Alonzo's rookie season (drafted 2nd behind O'Neal) and wanted him to be the foil to Shaq. However, Shaq was just too good. It was historically stupid for Orlando to offer him less than the absolute max they could offer. Shaq was always a bit of an egomaniac, but his early days....my oh my was he something. I'll always appreciate Orlando Shaq exponentially over Lakers Shaq.
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#865 » by HeatFanLifer » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:27 pm

DayofMourning wrote:]

Orlando Shaquille was one of the best things to ever happen to the NBA...

I got into basketball during Alonzo's rookie season (drafted 2nd behind O'Neal) and wanted him to be the foil to Shaq. However, Shaq was just too good. It was historically stupid for Orlando to offer him less than the absolute max they could offer. Shaq was always a bit of an egomaniac, but his early days....my oh my was he something. I'll always appreciate Orlando Shaq exponentially over Lakers Shaq.

When the Heat made the trade for Anthony Mason, Brian Grant, and Eddie Jones I was ready for a Heat-Lakers NBA finals. Then Zo went down with the kidney illness :(. In hindsight, I’m not sure the Heat could have gotten to the finals, even with a healthy Zo because Hardaway was a shell of himself at that point. Would have been an amazing series to watch though.
OP for NBA FT record
Big NBA Fan
Senior
And1: 329

Post#866 » by Big NBA Fan » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:50 pm

94 and 95 Orlando Shaq was insanely good for someone so young. He averaged 29 PPG (!) both years. I agree that Orlando Shaq was more fun to watch than Lakers Shaq.

He had a pretty good rookie year, but the critics were giving him a hard time for being so raw on offense and not caring about his profession enough.

Shaq silenced the doubters by putting up video game numbers in the 94 and 95 regular seasons.

As for Shaq and Zo, it was really cool to see them win a title together.

Speaking of them, here are some highlights of a couple of epic battles between them.

Zo's quickness in transition actually used to give Shaq problems, even in his younger days. Zo always ran the floor better.

I agree 2001 Heat with a healthy Zo could have beaten the 15-1 playoff Lakers that year.

Just wish Wade didn't get hurt in the ECF in 2005 and Shaq didn't suffer that really bad thigh injury right before the playoffs that year. Those injuries, and the lack of a # 3 option in the starting line-up who could create their own shot, cost them that series against Detroit. Ruined what was an absolutely magical regular season.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#867 » by DayofMourning » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:55 pm

HeatFanLifer wrote:When the Heat made the trade for Anthony Mason, Brian Grant, and Eddie Jones I was ready for a Heat-Lakers NBA finals. Then Zo went down with the kidney illness :(. In hindsight, I’m not sure the Heat could have gotten to the finals, even with a healthy Zo because Hardaway was a shell of himself at that point. Would have been an amazing series to watch though.

I was so pumped for EJ. I was a fan of PJ and a big fan of Mash, but the results were heartbreaking. Just heartbreaking. We were better than those Knicks teams. Something intrinsically kept us from winning. Bad luck? I don't know. Tough times.

I remember Zo showing out in the Olympics. He was really considered a top five player at that time. Maybe higher. I wrote an English literature paper on him at the time of his kidney ailment. He was really something. Truth be told, I didn't enjoy being a Heat fan for a couple seasons after his loss.

However, we drafted Caron, who I was a big fan of, and then we drafted a guy I didn't know much about, Dwyane Wade. Things turned around big time.
Big NBA Fan
Senior

Post#868 » by Big NBA Fan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:04 am

2nd year Shaq I was talking about...
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#869 » by HeatFanLifer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:05 am

DayofMourning wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:When the Heat made the trade for Anthony Mason, Brian Grant, and Eddie Jones I was ready for a Heat-Lakers NBA finals. Then Zo went down with the kidney illness :(. In hindsight, I’m not sure the Heat could have gotten to the finals, even with a healthy Zo because Hardaway was a shell of himself at that point. Would have been an amazing series to watch though.

I was so pumped for EJ. I was a fan of PJ and a big fan of Mash, but the results were heartbreaking. Just heartbreaking. We were better than those Knicks teams. Something intrinsically kept us from winning. Bad luck? I don't know. Tough times.

I remember Zo showing out in the Olympics. He was really considered a top five player at that time. Maybe higher. I wrote an English literature paper on him at the time of his kidney ailment. He was really something. Truth be told, I didn't enjoy being a Heat fan for a couple seasons after his loss.

However, we drafted Caron, who I was a big fan of, and then we drafted a guy I didn't know much about, Dwyane Wade. Things turned around big time.

That team with Butler, Odom, and Wade was fun to watch. I don’t know how far they could have gone, but they had a bright future together.
OP for NBA FT record
Big NBA Fan
Senior

Post#870 » by Big NBA Fan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:09 am

That team with Butler, Odom, and Wade was fun to watch. I don’t know how far they could have gone, but they had a bright future together.

Completely agree; the 07-10 years would have been much better with them prior to the Big 3. They were just lacking a quality C.

Shaq became nothing but trouble after 2005; he rode Wade's coat-tails in 2006 and then became completely useless.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,759

Post#871 » by QUIZ » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:48 am

I miss Tyler Herro :(

17ppg season coming next year, starting shooting guard. :nod:
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,471

Post#872 » by Bishop45 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:03 am

Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#873 » by Bishop45 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:17 am

Read on Twitter

Rest in Power Chadwick

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,812

Post#874 » by AirP. » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:02 pm

Read on Twitter
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#875 » by Bishop45 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:39 pm

What a trash yr, ups to Kat man. Chit.

Rest in Power Chadwick

AirP.
RealGM

Post#876 » by AirP. » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:17 am

What a wonderful win for the Bulls fans by getting rid of such a terrible person. He was a huge reason I quit being a Bulls fan.
Read on Twitter

For those wondering... here's a copy of the story from the web archive website that gives you some insight. He also tried to strong-arm J.Butler to take a cheap contract or threatened to bury him on the bench behind Tony Snell... Butler didn't take the offer and Thibs refused to bench Butler which added to the reasons the Bulls horrible FO tried everything they could do to get rid of Thibs(because the owner hired him over them), they eventually lied to the owner enough to get him to fire Thibs. Have I mentioned they're just a horrible FO?

https://web.archive.org/web/20130715044258/http://chicagosidesports.com/gar-formans-questionable-call-ron-adams-is-a-class-act/

Read on Twitter
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,983

Post#877 » by eddieheatfan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:12 pm

Bishop45 wrote:What a trash yr, ups to Kat man. Chit.
yeah 2020 its a nightmare for many... :(
AirP.
RealGM

Post#878 » by AirP. » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:31 pm

Looks like I'll be adding another team to follow next year. I could absolutely see him going to Brooklyn, it was just a couple years ago when he was trying to force himself out of Cleveland and listed Minnesota as one of his 5 trade destinations. I do wonder if the owner blocked the ability for Thibodeau to trade for him(Glen Taylor took Wiggins off the table for Butler) which really opened up Butler's eyes to how much power Thibodeau didn't have. Also, I could understand Brooklyn letting K.Atkinson go early to show Thibodeau that the spot was truly open for him vs a possibly of them keeping Atkinson.
Read on Twitter
AirP.
RealGM

Post#879 » by AirP. » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:29 pm

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, sorry, just heard the new VPBO talking about their "new" direction.
The Chicago Bulls franchise, just a *(@#@$( horrible franchise, changing directions every few year, they have no culture, the only thing that is normal for the franchise is that it will change every few years
!
GarPax is out but new VPBO Arturas Karnisovas wants to go to pace and space... weird... let's see how this works... you might notice how indecisive this franchise is... let's play with pace... nope we lose, let's play defense, we're winning but it's not winning a championship for whatever reason, back to pace!

Coaches since the MJ years(without MJ Chicago is completely irrelevant as a large market franchise).... Just a horribly ran franchise. Only 1 coach in over 35 years(S.Skiles) had any NBA head coach experience when hired in Chicago.

P.Jackson(great coach)
T.Floyd(just terrible) Note: Friend of management.
Cartwright(big man for Curry/Chandler) explayer P.Myers also explayer who finished up a season after Cartwright was fired.
Skiles(tough, defense)
Vinny Del Negro(player's coach) - Note: Never coached (head or assistant) at any level of basketball, gave a very good presentation to the owner while the owner was in Arizona on vacation(he was the assistant GM for the Suns).
Thibodeau(tough, defense) - Note: Owner hired him and never worked well with the FO, FO worked for multiple years to get rid of him.
Hoiberg(pace and space) - Note: Friend of the FO and the reason they moved Butler.
J.Boylen(tough, defense)
the direction that the new VPOB wants (pace and space) which once again means... new coach.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#880 » by AirP. » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:49 pm

Chicago talk show host polling if the fans want Thibodeau back...
Read on Twitter

Return to Miami Heat