ImageImageImageImageImage

Joakim Noah to the Clippers (rumblings are now reality)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Re: Joakim Noah to the Clippers (rumblings are now reality) 

Post#41 » by NippySudz » Sun Mar 8, 2020 6:09 am

50CalClips wrote:I tweeked my knee two weeks ago, pain on the outer side, I was limping, etc (partial tear of something? idk).

Friday, I was back snowboarding all day. It still felt tweeked that morning, it feels tweeked now... but I was out there on the mountain for about 8 hours (couldn't stop myself, too much fun).

Point is, I believe Joakim Noah will contribute, he'll play through the pain.

Read on Twitter

he had achilles surgery 5 months ago, I don't think he'll be playing through pain. he'll be playing at the risk of injuring himself and maybe suffering another serious injury, just like boogie. they shouldn't use him unless they really have to.
BallUpnSlowMo
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#42 » by BallUpnSlowMo » Mon Apr 6, 2020 12:32 am

If the 2019-20 NBA season is cancelled, I would like to see the Clippers give Joakim Noah a good look during the off season or during next years training camp.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,803

Post#43 » by esqtvd » Mon Apr 6, 2020 2:17 am

since everything was frozen in place by the virus stoppage, Noah is on the longest 10-day contract in NBA history lol

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2020-03-17/can-clippers-still-be-a-contender-with-momentum-derailed
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
BallUpnSlowMo
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#44 » by BallUpnSlowMo » Mon Apr 6, 2020 4:00 pm

With everything that was going on, I didn't even realize that the Clippers had signed him. Well they should keep him for the rest of the regular season and playoffs (that's "if" the rest of the regular season or a shorten version and playoffs are played).
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#45 » by Young Sterling » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:14 pm

Hey, one overlooked positive to this in the Battle of LA: Joakim Noah now has more time to recover and contribute during Playoffs while LAL let go of Cousins who could've benefitted and offered the same. Something that I haven't heard get talked about yet I guess
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#46 » by esqtvd » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:10 am

Young Sterling wrote:Hey, one overlooked positive to this in the Battle of LA: Joakim Noah now has more time to recover and contribute during Playoffs while LAL let go of Cousins who could've benefitted and offered the same. Something that I haven't heard get talked about yet I guess

I'm just glad to have a body to throw at AD and their other two bigs. I don't care what shape Noah's Achilles is in, don't need skill or speed, I just want sneaky, dirty veteran NBA smarts and a very bad attitude.

yeah baby :wink:

https://fadeawayworld.com/2017/04/01/top-10-dirtiest-players-in-nba-history/

6. Joakim Noah

The former defensive player of the year award-winner was known for his outstanding post defense and rim protection, as well as being a great passer and an excellent teammate, something that constantly made him get into trouble with opposing teams and even with the refs due to his loud and vocal style.

Now, with his prime far behind him, the Center and great leader will be remembered for all those times he took it an extra notch and turned his physical play into dirty play, as well as all those times he constantly trash talked his rivals and even the entire city of Cleveland.
Young Sterling
Sophomore

Post#47 » by Young Sterling » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:04 am

esqtvd wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:Hey, one overlooked positive to this in the Battle of LA: Joakim Noah now has more time to recover and contribute during Playoffs while LAL let go of Cousins who could've benefitted and offered the same. Something that I haven't heard get talked about yet I guess

I'm just glad to have a body to throw at AD and their other two bigs. I don't care what shape Noah's Achilles is in, don't need skill or speed, I just want sneaky, dirty veteran NBA smarts and a very bad attitude.

6. Joakim Noah

The former defensive player of the year award-winner was known for his outstanding post defense and rim protection, as well as being a great passer and an excellent teammate, something that constantly made him get into trouble with opposing teams and even with the refs due to his loud and vocal style.

Now, with his prime far behind him, the Center and great leader will be remembered for all those times he took it an extra notch and turned his physical play into dirty play, as well as all those times he constantly trash talked his rivals and even the entire city of Cleveland.

Oh hell yeah. This guy's defensive IQ is off the charts. I think people forget he put himself in MVP conversation on basically Defense alone. Offensively he's not bad either. It's not like we have any bigs who space the floor other than JGreen. Better defender than both Trez and Zu still imo. Also, possibly a better rebounder. Nothing to take away for either big though, we have like 3 great options at C. Not legendary, but great options. All about making it fit in the right matchups.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#48 » by playaloc916 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:10 pm

esqtvd wrote:

6. Joakim Noah

Lol, that pic is worth a thousand words :lol:
I can picture him doing that after flagrant fouling AD from behind and getting whistled for a technical...
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,418

Post#49 » by TrueLAfan » Sat May 2, 2020 9:21 pm

I think he'll be able to do more than that. Last year was kind of a revelation. The delay is the best thing could happen to Noah (and, really, PG—but that’s another story). And, yeah, we’re incredibly lucky. His achilles wasn’t separated, just cut. No rupture. But I’m sure it needed to heal so that it could withstand the rigors of NBA play—now, he doesn’t have to come back early and risk a full rupture (*cough*Durant!*cough*). He hurt it in September and had a six month timeline for recovery. He just picked up an extra 2-3 months. Tbat will help a lot.

And make no mistake about it, Noah was terrific last year once he started getting regular minutes. His defensive play was great; he adjusted to his diminished physical skills (another reason why he’ll help). His offensive play was as good or better than it ever had been. His +/- was great. It took him about 6 weeks to round into form, but from mid-January until he folded it up for the season, he had a 20 game run where he was terrific.

21.7 mpg, 10.5 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 3.1 apg, 1.0 bpg, .56% FG

I mean—how much would that help? That’s 17 and 12 per 36. That’s more blocks in court time than Zu. That’s more assists per minute than Bev. And doing that with smart, veteran play and attitude and, yeah, a dirty streak. 8-)

So, yeah. I hate the shutdown. But I’m also glad for the shutdown in some ways. Noah is one of the good ways.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#50 » by esqtvd » Mon Jun 8, 2020 10:48 pm

Looooooooong article at the subscription-only The Athletic.

The takeaway: Noah has no rings, and he picked the Clippers. I did not know he suffered a possible career-ending injury in September while he was preparing to try out for the Clippers. Did anybody else hear that? All I remember is that he was coming, and then all of a sudden he wasn't.

He didn't tear the Achilles; he cut it in a training room accident. Now it all makes sense. He always wanted to come play with us. We always wanted him.

https://theathletic.com/1844238/2020/06/08/im-as-ready-as-can-be-joakim-noah-earns-one-last-title-shot-with-clippers/

Joakim Noah didn’t end up on the Clippers by chance.

Behind the scenes, the two-time All-Star and former Defensive Player of the Year lobbied for his 10-day contract, working the phones and using his connections to help engineer a workout with the Clippers.

To Noah’s point, at least he is on a team now. Last fall, he wasn’t sure if he would ever play basketball again.

Back in late September, Noah had a workout scheduled with the Clippers a week before the team started training camp in Hawaii. But days before the workout, Noah was trying to move a stainless steel ice bath after a workout when the metal slashed his right Achilles.

He didn’t rupture his Achilles, which would have kept him out close to a year and almost certainly ended his career given his age (34 at the time) and the injury’s dreaded track record (it’s arguably the worst injury in basketball). But the freak accident was going to sideline him for roughly six months — almost the entire 2019-20 regular season — and potentially erase the progress he had made with a bounce-back 2018-19 season in Memphis.

During his rehab, Noah says he consistently reached out to two of his former coaches...

Noah knew Thibodeau was close with Doc Rivers, whom Thibodeau has stayed with for weeks at a time in Los Angeles. He also knew Donovan has a friendly relationship with Clippers president of basketball operations Lawrence Frank dating back to their college coaching days in the 90s.

“I was like, ‘Can you please call?'” Noah said. “I wanted to be on the Clippers.”

Noah even contacted friends of Austin Rivers, hoping Austin could get through to his dad. The full-court press was on. Noah was reported to be linked to other opportunities, including Dallas and Denver, but his internal commitment to the Clippers never swayed.

The interest was mutual.

“All I needed was a little hope,” Noah said. “I’ve been working my ass off every day since.”

In mid-February, Noah received a call from his agent, Bill Duffy. “‘L-Frank wants to come see you,'” Duffy told Noah.

Within a few days, Frank, who was visiting his family in New Jersey after the Clippers’ game in Philadelphia before the All-Star break, showed up at the Players Association gym to watch Noah work out.

All Noah wanted was a workout with the Clippers and a shot to earn their 15th roster spot. He knew that, even if he didn’t play, he could help the locker room with his leadership and experience. The workout went well — or so Noah thought – but after a week passed, he didn’t hear anything. And then another week passed. Crickets. There was no update.

Then out of the blue in early March, he received a phone call from the Clippers.

“I got the call like, ‘Can you come to L.A.?'” Noah said. “I packed my bags and I’ve been here since.”

Shortly after, Noah was joined by Ivica Zubac, the Clippers’ 23-year-old starting center in his fourth season, who diverted from his normal pregame routine to strike up a conversation with his new teammate.

An underrated aspect of the Joakim Noah signing: mentoring Ivica Zubac. Noah, a former Defensive Player of the Year and two-time All-Star, will certainly be a positive voice in Zubac’s ear during Noah’s time with the Clippers (and in the playoffs if he’s re-signed).

Last season in Memphis, Noah was clearly a rotation-level big. Had he not injured his Achilles, he might have earned minutes on the Clippers this season or potentially a larger role on another team if he had entertained any other suitors. But the current reality, as Noah admits, is that he has not played NBA competitive basketball since the end of the 2018-19 season and any type of competitive basketball since September.

If the Clippers want him to serve as a veteran leader by mentoring the young bigs ahead of him in the rotation, he is on board.

To make things easier, the Clippers sent Noah personalized weights and workout equipment — as they did for the rest of the team — to help him stay in shape. Each week, he takes part in organized Zoom workouts on top of the training he does with Hamilton.

According to Rivers, Noah stands the most to gain during the long layoff.

“It’s been great for him,” Rivers said. “There are certain individuals who this rest period, or whatever this is called, has been a benefit, and Jo is one of them for sure because he’s got a chance now to get healthy and to get in shape. And that will be a factor for him.

“He will be a guy that will be able to help us.”

“There’s nobody I would want to do this with more than with the Clippers.”

"I knew that if I didn’t train and the day came that the Clippers would call and I wasn’t ready, I would have a lot of regrets,” he said. “And it’s what kept me training is that hope of making this team. It wasn’t about the money. It wasn’t about any of that.

“It was about being able to finish my career on a team that has a common goal.”
Young Sterling
Sophomore

Post#51 » by Young Sterling » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:41 am

esqtvd wrote:Looooooooong article at the subscription-only The Athletic.

The takeaway: Noah has no rings, and he picked the Clippers. I did not know he suffered a possible career-ending injury in September while he was preparing to try out for the Clippers. Did anybody else hear that? All I remember is that he was coming, and then all of a sudden he wasn't.

He didn't tear the Achilles; he cut it in a training room accident. Now it all makes sense. He always wanted to come play with us. We always wanted him.

Yeah I mean we knew that there was a freak acccident of some sort, but the nature of the injury remained a mystery. After reading the article, it's just so ridiculous hearing that it happened while he was moving a metal bath... That's some Steve Nash on the Lakers ****.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers