ImageImage

What's next?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

When the NBA games restart, how will the NBA finish 19/20 season?

They will play some or all the unplayed regular season games before having playoffs.
15%
They will go right to playoffs.
31%
They will cancel the 19/20 regular season and playoffs.
54%

Total votes: 13

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

What's next? 

Post#1 » by d-train » Thu Apr 9, 2020 7:37 pm

Lillard wants to play the regular season games so Blazers have a chance to make playoffs.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Re: What's next? 

Post#2 » by Norm2953 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 10:35 pm

There is an ESPN poll that says 72% of the public will not attend sporting events until a working
Vaccine is available. The consensus from polling suggests the public wants all sports cancelled
through 2020 which would chill MLB and the NFL but leaves hope if an interim treatment that
Reduces the death toll arrives by the fall, we”ll at least NBA basketball
d-train
RealGM

Post#3 » by d-train » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:55 pm

Norm2953 wrote:There is an ESPN poll that says 72% of the public will not attend sporting events until a working
Vaccine is available. The consensus from polling suggests the public wants all sports cancelled
through 2020 which would chill MLB and the NFL but leaves hope if an interim treatment that

Nobody says the NBA can't play games without filling a stadium. I agree the NBA isn't going to 'business as usual' fill a stadium. I doubt we see stadiums in business until September.

A stadium is 20x safer than a bus or train ride, IMO. AFAIK, government's mass transit systems have been extremely careless in the spread of the China virus. How long do you think the private sector is going to bankrupt itself while mass transit is operating and facilitating the spread of the virus?
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#4 » by Norm2953 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:38 am

It will be interesting to see how much business as usual is impacted by the potential loss of a quarter
of the season and the playoffs. All that lost revenue is going to greatly depress the free agent
market for every team and I wonder if anyone other than Anthony Davis is going to get paid.
d-train
RealGM

Post#5 » by d-train » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:34 pm

Norm2953 wrote:It will be interesting to see how much business as usual is impacted by the potential loss of a quarter
of the season and the playoffs. All that lost revenue is going to greatly depress the free agent
market for every team and I wonder if anyone other than Anthony Davis is going to get paid.

There is no getting around it. No matter what measures owners and players take to mitigate the losses, the financial impact on the next free agency market is going to be huge. The hardest hit players will be the mid level players. AD and other star level players will get all the money first, then there well be scarce money for other very good players to divide.

I think I had a pretty good handle on what the Blazers budget would be, before all this. Now, I don't know. Getting under the tax before Lillard's and CJ's extensions hit might not be attainable anymore.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#6 » by HoopsFanAZ » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:05 pm

Deleted.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#7 » by Norm2953 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 am

The guidelines talking of having sporting events with the fans if they can manage social distancing. That's
going to lead to a profound impact on team revenue if let's say Blazer games end up with 5-6000 fans
instead of the 19000 fans they have today.

Let's say the NBA mitigates the impact if they started the games around Christmas day which is what the
NFL and CFB is thinking of doing.
d-train
RealGM

Post#8 » by d-train » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:36 am

Norm2953 wrote:The guidelines talking of having sporting events with the fans if they can manage social distancing. That's
going to lead to a profound impact on team revenue if let's say Blazer games end up with 5-6000 fans
instead of the 19000 fans they have today.

Let's say the NBA mitigates the impact if they started the games around Christmas day which is what the
NFL and CFB is thinking of doing.

It's safer to be one of 19000 in the Rose Garden than 1 of 20 in a bus or train car. I don't have to wait until Christmas to take a bus trip. I can do it right now.

I can get in my car, drive to the store, and buy a 6-pack of beer. But, I can't go to Fred Meyer and buy a pack of seeds.

The dentist is closed, but I can go to Home Depot and buy shades to cover my daughter's window in her new apartment.

I'm going to DMV tomorrow because my license needs to be renewed, but Oregon Department of Revenue won't answer their phones.

At some point, people are going to want a better explanation for why they can't buy toilet paper. Hoarding was a good story for about 3 weeks, now it's time for better lies or the truth. People aren't using more toilet paper and the hoarders are out of room. Costco is still out of toilet paper everytime I go shopping.

Government workers are paid to stay home. Everyone else has to burn through savings or ask for handouts to survive. Meanwhile, democrats are holding up aide to unemployed people because big city mayors want the federal government to bailout the bankrupt pensions of the government workers being paid to stay home.

If you thought it was crazy when Donald Trump was elected, wait to see how this ends.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#9 » by PDX MM » Mon May 11, 2020 4:46 am

Norm2953 wrote:There is an ESPN poll that says 72% of the public will not attend sporting events until a working

There is plenty of videos out there showing bars, coffee shops, cafes that have reopened and those places are packed with people who clearly don't care about social distancing. We will find out if a second wave is coming or not in the next few weeks. If the numbers stay flat or even continue to fall then I can see most if not all restrictions being lifted and once that is done I doubt any sporting event other than those in cities with botton feeder teams will struggle with attendance. Well baseball is the exception only because their attendance was already struggling before the pandemic.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#10 » by Norm2953 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:50 am

Those people crowding those open bars and cafes aren't necessarily the same people who attend sporting
events. Teams may not have a choice in how many tickets they can sell for I see the Miami Dolphins have
a preliminary seating plan that calls for 15,000 seats to an NFL game in a stadium that seats 65k.

Let's say the NBA goes down this road and the Blazers end up playing at 25% capacity (approx 5000 fans)
at least at the start. I could see the league delaying the start of their season until around Christmas day
with the hopes of steadily increasing capacity in the spring. I doubt the NBA will be able to restart the
games this season unless they go directly to the playoffs but imagine the chaos if one star player comes
down with the virus which impacts who wins the NBA title.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#11 » by Blazinaway » Mon May 11, 2020 10:58 pm

This news on the bargaining agreement will sure make things interesting! What yr's cap are Lillard's and CJ's extensions based on?

"The NBA and NBPA have reached an agreement to extend through the September the 60-day window that preserves the league's right to terminate the current Collective Bargaining Agreement by use of the force majeure clause.
The original 60-day window was set to close this week.
The agreement to push back the deadline allows the NBA and union to gather a clearer picture of the economic losses and bargain on a number of crucial financial issues including salary caps and luxury tax thresholds.
During a conference call with members of the NBPA membership on Friday, Silver began to prepare the players for the harsh financial realities.
"This CBA was not built for an extended pandemic," Silver said on the call, according to the audio tape. "There's not a mechanism in it that works to properly accept a cap when you've got so much uncertainty; when we'd be going in next season saying, 'Well, our revenue could be $10 billion or it could be $6 billion. Or maybe it could be less.'"
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#12 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:12 pm

Apparently Chris Paul held a conference call with the league superstars (including Dame) and there
was agreement to resume the 2019-20 season if there were proper safety protocols in place after
the green light for the league to start up is given.

I doubt the league can guarantee player safety and after today's senate hearings, more questions about
whether the NBA and MLB can safely re-open have to be asked. I tend to favor a more limited re-opening
with just the top 4 teams (Milwaukee, Toronto and the two LA teams) to limit the risks.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers