NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Re: NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus 

Post#141 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:43 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:I don't understand how they're thinking of resuming the season when teams are trying to push the draft back from June 25th. Just end the season and start planning for the new NBA year. I understand financially it's a huge blow, but creating a watered-down rushed product isn't the answer.

They're pushing the draft back because they want to try to resume the season at some point.

I'm sure they would rather have two playoffs with a shortened regular season in between as opposed to just one season and one playoffs.

Ah that makes sense, I misunderstood the reason behind moving the draft.

I’m sure they would because it generates more revenue. I just feel like if they resumed this season it would be a shell of the product we’re used to.

I can’t imagine fans congregating to watch games as early as May/June, even if the threat is minimal. People will take a lot of time to feel comfortable being in big groups again. If they move the games to empty arenas with just players, it’d be so awkward. Imagine a monster dunk or clutch shot followed by complete silence. I’d rather wait for the NBA to be normal again.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#142 » by Sixerscan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:19 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:I don't understand how they're thinking of resuming the season when teams are trying to push the draft back from June 25th. Just end the season and start planning for the new NBA year. I understand financially it's a huge blow, but creating a watered-down rushed product isn't the answer.

They're pushing the draft back because they want to try to resume the season at some point.

I'm sure they would rather have two playoffs with a shortened regular season in between as opposed to just one season and one playoffs.

I’m sure they would because it generates more revenue. I just feel like if they resumed this season it would be a shell of the product we’re used to.

I can’t imagine fans congregating to watch games as early as May/June, even if the threat is minimal. People will take a lot of time to feel comfortable being in big groups again. If they move the games to empty arenas with just players, it’d be so awkward. Imagine a monster dunk or clutch shot followed by complete silence. I’d rather wait for the NBA to be normal again.

These are awkward times. If everyone is comfortable with the safety factors I'd like to see them give it a shot without crowds.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,428

Post#143 » by Eyeamok » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

This is where the Norvel Pelle's of the NBA, playing his air guitar when a dunk or a 3 point shot is made, becomes invaluable. My biggest concern is what is Embiid going to do when he waves the crowd on to make some noise and their is silence. They should think about piping in crowd noise. Have "mic'd up" cheerleaders too.

* I was going to put this in green font. But the more I read it the more I like my ideas.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#144 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:41 am

The Chinese Basketball Association has suffered another setback and have postponed their calendar until at least July.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257886/Chinese-Basketball-Association-Delays-Restart-Until-July

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#145 » by 76ciology » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:40 pm

Should NBA cancel the season?

For me, yes.

I dont want to play in games without rowdy crowds or without the CONTINUOUS grind of the 82 games season. It’s worse than winning a championship on a shortened season. We might as well just simulate the season on 2K and see who will win it.

I think it’s much better to cancel this season and just build up all the energy for next season (this october).
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#146 » by Stribor » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:52 pm

Why not morphing to seasons into one mega season? :D
76ciology
RealGM

Post#147 » by 76ciology » Fri May 1, 2020 4:21 am

Stribor wrote:Why not morphing to seasons into one mega season? :D

How?

My belief is, let all standards stay as is. If you can’t enforce that then you just forget it. This is unless it’s a new normal like the government banned playing at night because zombies are waking up during this time while rick and the rest of the walking dead protects everyone during the day. Then we do everything during the day.

Im not even THAT much of a fan of the league starting at december but if that’s what it takes to run everything as per standard and that we won’t risk missing another season then let it be.

The goal is to run the league as close to what it was as possible. No gimmicks like playing in an empty arenas where home court advantage doesnt exist
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#148 » by Sixerscan » Fri May 1, 2020 2:26 pm

76ciology wrote:

How?

My belief is, let all standards stay as is. If you can’t enforce that then you just forget it. This is unless it’s a new normal like the government banned playing at night because zombies are waking up during this time while rick and the rest of the walking dead protects everyone during the day. Then we do everything during the day.

Im not even THAT much of a fan of the league starting at december but if that’s what it takes to run everything as per standard and that we won’t risk missing another season then let it be.

The goal is to run the league as close to what it was as possible. No gimmicks like playing in an empty arenas where home court advantage doesnt exist

You might not be able to have an arena full of fans until the end of 2021. There might be another outbreak next winter that suspends next season too. Can't guarantee anything. If they can figure out a way to play you can't be picky. I'm sure the plan is to finish this season however they can, then play as close to 82+full playoffs with people in the stands next season if they can.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,461

Post#149 » by youngcrev » Fri May 1, 2020 2:56 pm

76ciology wrote:

How?

Well, that's one take I guess.

Finishing the season in a normal way isn't on the table. I'll take the strangeness of them playing in empty stadiums over no basketball at all.

Playing a full 82 next season in front of fans is far from a given at the moment.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#150 » by 76ciology » Fri May 1, 2020 7:27 pm

I think the plan now is to atleast start and then adjust on the fly.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#151 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri May 1, 2020 11:13 pm

A December start would be dope. It'd be nice to overlap less with the NFL/NHL and give us something to watch over summer besides MLB. It'd probably help ratings. We could have Christmas Day (opening day) and Independence Day (day 1 of the playoffs) games.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,478

Post#152 » by GoSixersBro » Mon May 4, 2020 8:49 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:A December start would be dope. It'd be nice to overlap less with the NFL/NHL and give us something to watch over summer besides MLB. It'd probably help ratings. We could have Christmas Day (opening day) and Independence Day (day 1 of the playoffs) games.

I actually like this too. That way we get playoff sports during all 4 seasons (NHL Spring, NBA Summer, MLB Fall, NFL Winter). Seems like it would be great for the respective markets. I also have a hard time watching playoff hockey because I am so consumed by basketball April-June.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Stopshere2
Head Coach
And1: 38

Post#153 » by Stopshere2 » Wed May 6, 2020 2:08 am

For those of you concerned about playing without crowds, here's what it will be like. You soon forget there's no crowd and get caught up in the play. Plus you get to hear clearly what the coaches and players are saying. Worth doing when the time is right imho

Luckily, for the revenue department of the government, speed doesn't kill.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#154 » by bondom34 » Fri May 8, 2020 4:54 am

Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,504

Post#155 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri May 8, 2020 3:58 pm

I know my opinion doesn't mean anything, but I think it would be cool (just for this year and for these circumstances) if we played in an empty gym in a tournament style setting. Break it up into four brackets 1 through 8 and play it out that way. It would take about two weeks to do the whole thing and the last team standing would get their rings. Let all 32 teams have at least one last game. Give every team a shot at advancing. This season is screwed anyway, and it's not fair to the players...Especially veterans who have put in 12+ years in the league. Let Vince Carter have a playoff game, let Lebron do his thing while he still has some of his prime left, CP3, etc.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#156 » by 76ciology » Sat May 9, 2020 4:51 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I know my opinion doesn't mean anything, but I think it would be cool (just for this year and for these circumstances) if we played in an empty gym in a tournament style setting. Break it up into four brackets 1 through 8 and play it out that way. It would take about two weeks to do the whole thing and the last team standing would get their rings. Let all 32 teams have at least one last game. Give every team a shot at advancing. This season is screwed anyway, and it's not fair to the players...Especially veterans who have put in 12+ years in the league. Let Vince Carter have a playoff game, let Lebron do his thing while he still has some of his prime left, CP3, etc.

They won’t deviate it that far, they want it as close as the real thing. Because they want it to be legitimate as possible
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#157 » by Eyeamok » Sat May 9, 2020 6:34 pm

Stopshere2 wrote:For those of you concerned about playing without crowds, here's what it will be like. You soon forget there's no crowd and get caught up in the play. Plus you get to hear clearly what the coaches and players are saying. Worth doing when the time is right imho

It will be great hearing Coach Brown yelling. "Ben Ben your open shoot the 3 !"

Marlo
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#158 » by Sixerscan » Sat May 9, 2020 8:39 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
Stopshere2 wrote:For those of you concerned about playing without crowds, here's what it will be like. You soon forget there's no crowd and get caught up in the play. Plus you get to hear clearly what the coaches and players are saying. Worth doing when the time is right imho

Basically:
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#159 » by Eyeamok » Sat May 9, 2020 10:02 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

Basically:

I remember that game, that was awesome. Brown and the Homie had a good laugh after that.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM

Post#160 » by 76ciology » Sun May 10, 2020 6:33 am

Happy mothers’ day to everyone’s mom today!

Return to Philadelphia 76ers