Chris Paul to the Rockets

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,249

Re: Chris Paul to the Rockets 

Post#561 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:45 am

CP3 was pretty hard to guard in ISO.

Still may be, didn't see him play so much this year.

But in the WCF against the Warriors a couple of seasons ago, he was making some ridiculous shots, including from 3 which were contested, like side-step 3s with the shot clock running down.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#562 » by esqtvd » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:08 pm

wco81 wrote:CP3 was pretty hard to guard in ISO.

Still may be, didn't see him play so much this year.

But in the WCF against the Warriors a couple of seasons ago, he was making some ridiculous shots, including from 3 which were contested, like side-step 3s with the shot clock running down.

Not crazy about depending on questionable shots like that--it's part of the point. In that series, CP scored 21 ppg and his assists sank to 5.8 apg. Shot 46%/37%. That's really good, but hardly dominating.

Nobody's saying CP is/was a choker. But he wasn't really a closer. He can't go through you or over you--it's still gonna be some sort of jump shot. He's not going to get to the line either. He never scored 20 points a game in the regular season as a Clipper.

Hey, CP's a Hall of Famer. But as a scorer, he's just not on the level of the 25 ppg guys. And he had no help here either at crunchtime--If I'm gonna dog anybody, it'll be our other "superstar" Blake, who when we needed a hoop, always seemed to try to bull the ball into the post, turn it over, then whine at the ref while the other team zoomed down the other end for a layup.

Today on the Laker station, Ramona was talking about the new Michael Jordan series coming up on ESPN--about how MJ didn't start winning championships until he learned to trust his teammates and make them better, exactly what IMO Chris never did.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
wco81
RealGM

Post#563 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:24 pm

You don't think CP3 makes his teammates better?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#564 » by esqtvd » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:27 pm

wco81 wrote:You don't think CP3 makes his teammates better?

Not the way a Larry Bird or Magic Johnson did, no. And he needed to. I don't know Michael Jordan's story well enough to comment, but according to Ramona, the upcoming ESPN series is going to make the case that he did. MJ certainly achieved a lot with only Pippen and a bunch of spare parts. He made Rodman a HOFer.

And a lot of players talk about somebody in their careers who showed them the ropes and to whom they owe a lot of their success. I've never heard Chris's name come up in that mentor context [although maybe he's finally becoming that guy in OKC with Shai].

Look, I'm not downing Chris. He's one of the top 25 players of all time. But if he had any failing it was in the leadership department, and for a point guard that's a bigger deal than for most.
wco81
RealGM

Post#565 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:52 pm

Hmm, like I said, I haven't watched the OKC Thunder very much this year.

But they've been a lot better than expected and he leads them in assists and on/off.

Does that mean he made those other players better? Not sure, I guess you'd have to compare his teammates between last year and this year.

Anyways, Bird and Magic are very high bars. A player can be very effective at making other players better without playmaking at GOAT levels.

Presumably when a team wins, they like each other, the vets have a voice, so on.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#566 » by esqtvd » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:23 pm

wco81 wrote:Hmm, like I said, I haven't watched the OKC Thunder very much this year.

But they've been a lot better than expected and he leads them in assists and on/off.

Does that mean he made those other players better? Not sure, I guess you'd have to compare his teammates between last year and this year.

Anyways, Bird and Magic are very high bars. A player can be very effective at making other players better without playmaking at GOAT levels.

Presumably when a team wins, they like each other, the vets have a voice, so on.

I would blame Blake much more for the chemistry problems, both on and off the court. But it was on Chris as the HOFer and the point guard/captain to overcome them. And he didn't. I think he realizes that now. But it's too late.

They all realize that now. Like any Shakespearean tragedy, everybody's right and everybody's wrong. There are no villains here, only tragic heroes.

For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#567 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:49 am

[instagram][/instagram]
esqtvd wrote:

Not the way a Larry Bird or Magic Johnson did, no. And he needed to. I don't know Michael Jordan's story well enough to comment, but according to Ramona, the upcoming ESPN series is going to make the case that he did. MJ certainly achieved a lot with only Pippen and a bunch of spare parts. He made Rodman a HOFer.

And a lot of players talk about somebody in their careers who showed them the ropes and to whom they owe a lot of their success. I've never heard Chris's name come up in that mentor context [although maybe he's finally becoming that guy in OKC with Shai].

Look, I'm not downing Chris. He's one of the top 25 players of all time. But if he had any failing it was in the leadership department, and for a point guard that's a bigger deal than for most.

If Mike made Rodman a HOFer, it's purely the shine of 3 extra rings.

Rodman was Rodman - a champion, an multiple time all star, a rebound champ, a DPOY - before he ever became a Bull.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#568 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:13 am

Quake Griffin wrote:[instagram][/instagram]
esqtvd wrote:

If Mike made Rodman a HOFer, it's purely the shine of 3 extra rings.

Rodman was Rodman - a champion, an multiple time all star, a rebound champ, a DPOY - before he ever became a Bull.

Yes, plus the two from the Pistons. No rings, no Hall.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#569 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:32 am

Chris Paul Believes Players Need 'At Least' 3-4 Weeks To Prepare Before Resumption

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257956/Chris-Paul-Believes-Players-Need-At-Least-3-4-Weeks-To-Prepare-Before-Resumption

I'm just gonna trust that Chris is speaking as the head of the NBA Players Association.

Because this is WEAK. Up until April 15, the NBA players were being paid their FULL SALARIES. At $38M/year, Chris Paul was making almost ONE MILLION dollars a week to SIT ON HIS ASS.

Now they are still getting 75% of their salaries. If you can't stay in game shape for $750,000 A WEEK, you can just kiss my ass from now on.

"The weakest move I've ever seen from a superstar."

Return to Los Angeles Clippers