Haliburton

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Haliburton 

Post#1 » by SNPA » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:31 am

He'll end up being better than a lot of other players getting more attention IMO.

High IQ on both sides of the ball. Skilled ball handler, skilled passer, really efficient shooter. Good size at either guard spot with long arms. Some draft boards have him top five. He makes his teammates better.

Look at the court awareness in this video. This cannot be taught.

He deserves more hype than he is getting. Some team is going to be real happy with their selection.

People knock his shooting motion, I say check his percentages. If a team is looking for a first option scorer, that's not him but if a team want a basketball player that will help win games, this kid should be high on the radar.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Re: Haliburton 

Post#2 » by getrichordie » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:23 am

Haliburton makes me nervous because he has talked with Schmitz about changing his shooting motion and he doesn’t have a consistent shot form.

He also struggles to finish around the basket which is something I think can be cleaned up, so it’s really his shot mechanics that are the big IF. When players start messing with there shots, things can go wrong fast as we’ve all seen.

Defensively, he’s fine for guarding 1s but he will struggle guarding stronger players.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
SNPA
General Manager

Post#3 » by SNPA » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:18 am

getrichordie wrote:Haliburton makes me nervous because he has talked with Schmitz about changing his shooting motion and he doesn’t have a consistent shot form.

He also struggles to finish around the basket which is something I think can be cleaned up, so it’s really his shot mechanics that are the big IF. When players start messing with there shots, things can go wrong fast as we’ve all seen.

Defensively, he’s fine for guarding 1s but he will struggle guarding stronger players.

"As a sophomore, he ranks in the 99th percentile on spot-ups and 98th percentile on catch-and-shoots."
https://uproxx.com/dimemag/tyrese-haliburton-nba-draft-profile-iowa-state-cyclones/

Form? I don't see much reason for concern. Marion shot from his chest and made a living in the NBA.

Haliburton is not, at this point, an iso scorer or an off the dribble pull up threat like some others. Stick him next to a PG like Fox though and he is going to be a deadly shooter.

Most players come into the league struggling against stronger players. I see him in the physical mold of Reggie Miller or Kevin Martin, he'll be able to use his IQ and length to defend SG's.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#4 » by gswhoops » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:40 am

Halliburton is a guy I love as a Warriors fan if we can trade down a couple spots. Think he would be a great third guard and could grow into a long-term successor at PG
Senor Chang
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,216

Post#5 » by Senor Chang » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:50 am

I am intrigued by his 7 foot wingspan. What doesn't this guy have?
wayoftheroad wrote:We’re getting bodied by Moochie Norris lmao
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#6 » by getrichordie » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:17 am

Senor Chang wrote:I am intrigued by his 7 foot wingspan. What doesn't this guy have?

Weight, sound shot mechanics, and advanced dribble moves.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#7 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:24 pm

getrichordie wrote:Haliburton makes me nervous because he has talked with Schmitz about changing his shooting motion and he doesn’t have a consistent shot form.

Then why mess with it. I remember a player by the name of Reggir Miller who had one of the ugliest shots I've seen on an elite shooter. Curry himself takes a somewhat unorthodox form where it almost comes from the hip yet springs up fast. That's somewhat how Haliburton shoots it. I might not mind him speeding up the motion but if hes hitting like he is at an efficient level sometimes these coaches need to get off thier high horse and understand people's body motions and strength are different. What's important is that whatever makes you comfortable, you do every single time. Consistency of movements. Cause once you start changing things it's like you go back to square one and it becomes true what you said; it's too late for all that at this high a level.

What I worry about right now is his weight. Hes not a bad athlete but hes not an elite athlete where hes gonna blow by guys like Morant did at that weight, even Morant will probably look to get stronger. I'm not concerned about it long term but if you have a FO who has no patience it could take him a 2-3 yrs of physical development just to then look at the nba level like he did at the college level and that's without adding more skills.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: Ty Haliburton 

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:06 pm

TYRESE HALIBURTON
Guard, Iowa State, sophomore

Genius playmaker who can be a major building block of a contending team.
Shades Of: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Sam Cassell

Age------------------------20.1
Wingspan-----------------7'0''
Height---------------------6'5''
Weight--------------------175

PLUSES
  • Always in control; he lacks lightning speed or explosiveness, but he uses subtle gear changes to throw defenders off balance, create room, and then strike.
  • Takes long strides on drives to the rim and displays good timing when gathering his dribble before using his length to score at the rim.
  • Creative playmaker with extraordinary vision and ambidextrous handles to deliver passes at all angles; he manipulates defenders with his eyes and dribble in the pick-and-roll, and has pinpoint accuracy on passes to rollers and shooters.
  • Good spot-up shooter with deep NBA range, despite his odd form.
  • A coach’s dream: He does all the little things on the court, from smart, timely defensive rotations to making rapid decisions to keep the offense flowing.

MINUSES
  • Lack of athleticism and burst limits his upside as a primary shot creator.
  • Generally avoids contact at the rim, which forces him to settle for tough layups or low-percentage floaters.
  • Made progress off the dribble as a sophomore, but still didn’t shoot well, and his stiff form raises concern.
  • Man-to-man defense: He stands in too much of an upright stance and moves laterally on his heels. Also takes poor angles fighting around screens.
The Ringer
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#9 » by cdubbz » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:53 am

The Warriors board likes Haliburton a lot.

What’s projected role in the NBA? Potential starting point guard or a good role player guard? A Shaun Livingston role? Or more Andre Miller
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#10 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:15 am

cdubbz wrote:The Warriors board likes Haliburton a lot.

What’s projected role in the NBA? Potential starting point guard or a good role player guard? A Shaun Livingston role? Or more Andre Miller

I actually like the Andre Miller comparison alot. As with any comparison you just have to adjust for pace and 3pt attempts in today's league but this pretty much nails it.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#11 » by SNPA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:33 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
cdubbz wrote:The Warriors board likes Haliburton a lot.

I actually like the Andre Miller comparison alot. As with any comparison you just have to adjust for pace and 3pt attempts in today's league but this pretty much nails it.

The passing instincts are there but Halliburton is a lot longer and has terrific defensive instincts. Plus he is a better shooter. Andre had a really nice and long career but Halliburton has more in the way of raw skills and physical potential going for him.

Halliburton would be a terrific pick for the warriors. I hope they let him slide.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#12 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:51 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
TYRESE HALIBURTON

PLUSES
  • Always in control; he lacks lightning speed or explosiveness, but he uses subtle gear changes to throw defenders off balance, create room, and then strike.
  • Takes long strides on drives to the rim and displays good timing when gathering his dribble before using his length to score at the rim.
  • Creative playmaker with extraordinary vision and ambidextrous handles to deliver passes at all angles; he manipulates defenders with his eyes and dribble in the pick-and-roll, and has pinpoint accuracy on passes to rollers and shooters.
  • A coach’s dream: He does all the little things on the court, from smart, timely defensive rotations to making rapid decisions to keep the offense flowing.

MINUSES
  • Generally avoids contact at the rim, which forces him to settle for tough layups or low-percentage floaters.
  • Made progress off the dribble as a sophomore, but still didn’t shoot well, and his stiff form raises concern.
  • Man-to-man defense: He stands in too much of an upright stance and moves laterally on his heels. Also takes poor angles fighting around screens.
The Ringer

Wait what? Schmitz said he has a 6'7" wingspan. Where are they getting 7' from?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#13 » by SNPA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:04 am

EvanZ wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
TYRESE HALIBURTON

PLUSES

MINUSES
The Ringer

Wait what? Schmitz said he has a 6'7" wingspan. Where are they getting 7' from?

I don’t think there are official measurements for him but it’s clear he is long. Lots of sites put him at around a seven foot wingspan and that’s a lot closer to the eye test. Just look at the image in the op.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#14 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:48 am

SNPA wrote:
I don’t think there are official measurements for him but it’s clear he is long. Lots of sites put him at around a seven foot wingspan and that’s a lot closer to the eye test. Just look at the image in the op.

It's definitely not 7'. Watch the ESPN video literally Schmitz talking about his wingspan. Haliburton wouldn't have made that video if it was off by 5". :lol:

It's 6'7" or very close to it. He's just a skinny dude so he looks even longer.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#15 » by SNPA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:28 am

EvanZ wrote:
SNPA wrote:

It's definitely not 7'. Watch the ESPN video literally Schmitz talking about his wingspan. Haliburton wouldn't have made that video if it was off by 5". :lol:

It's 6'7" or very close to it. He's just a skinny dude so he looks even longer.

It’s a long video. Do they ever talk about it? He easily could have not seen the graphic.

I found where the 6’7.5’’ number comes from and there are draft experts who question it.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/haliburton-a-1st-rounder-in-latest-cbs-mock.248726/page-6

Look at him play. He has great length. Not sure how being skinny makes his arms look longer. His elbows are bent in the op photo and his fists closed and his hands are below his crotch.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#16 » by SNPA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:32 am

Read on Twitter
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#17 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:20 pm

SNPA wrote:
Read on Twitter

Even if a few players have been questionable, I've never seen measurements off by 5 inches. 1 or 2 inches sure. And they are not always wrong in the same direction. I'd say at most his ws is 6'9" if you want to believe the measurement was erroneous. DYODD.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#18 » by SNPA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:56 pm

EvanZ wrote:
SNPA wrote:
Read on Twitter

Even if a few players have been questionable, I've never seen measurements off by 5 inches. 1 or 2 inches sure. And they are not always wrong in the same direction. I'd say at most his ws is 6'9" if you want to believe the measurement was erroneous. DYODD.

That’s the point Vecinie is making though. The measurements were way off in some cases. There is a reason most write ups talk about his excellent length.

His length reminds me of Tyreke Evans. 6’5’’ with a 6’11’’ wingspan.

His game reminds me of Malcom Brogdon, just constantly making the right good play.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#19 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:28 pm

SNPA wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
SNPA wrote:
Read on Twitter

That’s the point Vecinie is making though. The measurements were way off in some cases. There is a reason most write ups talk about his excellent length.

His length reminds me of Tyreke Evans. 6’5’’ with a 6’11’’ wingspan.

His game reminds me of Malcom Brogdon, just constantly making the right good play.

Whatever happened to Tyreke Evans? He just vanished.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#20 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:25 pm

Brogdon is also 6'5" with a 6'11" wingspan. I don't think it's a good comp otherwise. Brogdon is incredibly strong but not that athletic.

Return to NBA Draft