ImageImageImage

Around the NBA discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,494

Re: Around the NBA discussion 

Post#141 » by dice » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:37 am

HMFFL wrote:RICK CARLISLE, Dallas Mavericks coach, 60 years old, 188 games over five seasons, retired in 1990 The last pickup game I played in was in 2000. This was a pretty compelling thing to observe if you’re any kind of historian. It was me, Derrick McKey, Chris Mullin and Larry Bird against Al Harrington, Jonathan Bender, Jeff Foster and Zan Tabak. We played a three-game series. It was tied 1-1. In the third game, Bird came off a screen on the right side, caught and shot a 17-footer high above Jeff Foster’s outreached hand. The ball went straight up in the air and straight through the basket without touching the rim at all. Larry and I looked at each other and basically said, ‘We’re done with this after today.’ The game-winner will probably never be able to be topped. Plus, physically, playing against those guys, Foster was so strong and so dynamic that it was dangerous being out there. Larry and I both realized it. That was the last time I ever did it. And I’m positive that was the last time he did it too. I was 41 at the time.

– via K.C. Johnson @ NBC Sports

jeff foster is one of the most underrated players of recent decades
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#142 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Mar 8, 2020 3:23 pm

seems like Dragic and Luka really want to play together in the NBA.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#143 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Mar 8, 2020 11:53 pm

God Bless, Memphis just signed Johntay Porter for nothing. That guy was a projected top 20 pick in last year's draft before the injury. Memphis is KILLING the game!! Respect.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,894

Post#144 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:03 am

Josh Hart calls out CJ McCollum for forgetting Dirk Nowitzki’s unstoppable fadeaway

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-josh-hart-calls-out-cj-mccollum-for-forgetting-dirk-nowitzki-unstoppable-fadeaway/amp/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
marti
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#145 » by marti » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:22 pm

HMFFL wrote:Josh Hart calls out CJ McCollum for forgetting Dirk Nowitzki’s unstoppable fadeaway

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-josh-hart-calls-out-cj-mccollum-for-forgetting-dirk-nowitzki-unstoppable-fadeaway/amp/

He even has Ginobili's eurostep in the list (I'm a huge fan of Ginobili myself, but that's too much)

Btw hi to everyone here, from a very bored mavs fan from Spain under quarantine since what looks like months now
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#146 » by HMFFL » Tue Apr 7, 2020 2:41 pm

Legion Hoops: Ben Wallace on the Pistons drafting Darko Millicic over Carmelo Anthony: “If we would’ve drafted Carmelo, I honestly don’t think we would have ever won a championship. Melo wanted to play right away. It would have had the potential to disrupt the team chemistry.”

– via Twitter

Draft, Ben Wallace, Carmelo Anthony, Detroit Pistons,

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#147 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:02 am

Jeff Siegel: Bradley Beal’s no-trade restriction would have lifted today, had the NBA season been on a normal schedule. If the Wizards were out of the playoffs, they could have traded with any other non-playoff team (though it’s exceedingly rare for a trade to be made in April or May).

– via Twitter jgsiegel

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#148 » by HMFFL » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:35 pm

Blake Griffin has fled Detroit and landed in L.A. … where the guy’s clearly not taking time off his workout regimen while the NBA season is on a hiatus. The Pistons forward was spotted out in Tinseltown this weekend, where he was shirtless and getting his sweat on outside, with some sort of training strap attached to his torso. Dude looks like he’s still staying true to staying fit during this long break … which doesn’t have a clear end in sight at the moment.

– via TMZ Staff @ TMZ.com

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#149 » by arkuo » Sun May 3, 2020 8:43 am

Victor Oladipo has turned down the Pacers' extension offer. Opening a trade rumor for the offseason.

This is the same situation where we got Kirstaps as the Knicks wanted to get something for him because he was sure to walk away anyway. I've long liked Oladipo's game next to Luka. Especially his All-NBA defense. Hope Donnie has some pieces to get it done.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#150 » by HMFFL » Mon May 11, 2020 1:43 am

Zion Williamson is being called out by his former marketing representative to admit that his mother and stepfather demanded and received money and gifts from shoe companies, as well as representatives from Duke, where Zion played for one season. 

Williamson originally sued Gina Ford and Prime Sports in June in hopes of getting out of his contract with her company, and she then countersued and has since asked Williamson to admit to several statements regarding his family receiving gifts and money under the table. While it wouldn't be all that surprising to find out that Zion's family got some cash from shoe companies and for him going to Duke, it will be interesting to see what coach Mike Krzyzewski might have to say about it. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com

May 10, 2020, 5:53 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#151 » by HMFFL » Mon May 11, 2020 2:00 am

arkuo wrote:Victor Oladipo has turned down the Pacers' extension offer. Opening a trade rumor for the offseason.

This is the same situation where we got Kirstaps as the Knicks wanted to get something for him because he was sure to walk away anyway. I've long liked Oladipo's game next to Luka. Especially his All-NBA defense. Hope Donnie has some pieces to get it done.

I view him as a high risk.
I don't consider him a #1 or #2 option on a Championship team so I don't want him. I don't like how unproductive he was when he did return this season.

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#152 » by dirkforpres » Mon May 11, 2020 3:06 pm

HMFFL wrote:
arkuo wrote:Victor Oladipo has turned down the Pacers' extension offer. Opening a trade rumor for the offseason.

I don't consider him a #1 or #2 option on a Championship team so I don't want him. I don't like how when he did return this season.

Disagree. He’s an incredible player when healthy and that’s a hard injury to recover from. I think he could easily slide in as the perfect off ball guard next to Luka, but it doesn’t matter... Dallas doesn’t have near enough to entice the Pacers into trading their star
FIRE JASON KIDD
arkuo
General Manager

Post#153 » by arkuo » Mon May 11, 2020 6:19 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

I don't consider him a #1 or #2 option on a Championship team so I don't want him. I don't like how when he did return this season.

Disagree. He’s an incredible player when healthy and that’s a hard injury to recover from. I think he could easily slide in as the perfect off ball guard next to Luka, but it doesn’t matter... Dallas doesn’t have near enough to entice the Pacers into trading their star

Donnie has to keep tabs on the Pacers for these reasons.

1. Pacers not willing to pay Oladipo is pretty much a similar situation with Utah failing to keep Hayward.
2. Pacers have not turned a profit since 2017. Relying on profit sharing.
3. Their owner's main business is shopping malls. And malls will have restricted business with the covid-19 situation.

So these things tell me they need to move one of Oladipo, Turner or even Brogdon.

Now if they plan to keep Oladipo, I'd be fine with THJ for Brogdon straight up. An expiring THJ gives them instant cap relief. Brodgon can be an excellent off ball guard next to Luka. Plays defense too.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#154 » by dirkforpres » Mon May 11, 2020 7:47 pm

arkuo wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

1. Pacers not willing to pay Oladipo is pretty much a similar situation with Utah failing to keep Hayward.
3. Their owner's main business is shopping malls. And malls will have restricted business with the covid-19 situation.

So these things tell me they need to move one of Oladipo, Turner or even Brogdon.

Now if they plan to keep Oladipo, I'd be fine with THJ for Brogdon straight up. An expiring THJ gives them instant cap relief. Brodgon can be an excellent off ball guard next to Luka. Plays defense too.

Turner would be the odd man out before Brogdon or Dipo surely.

Sabonis is clearly the superior big man on the team and Indiana picked Bitadze pretty high in the draft last year to likely be the one to replace him.

Is Turner worth trading for? I’m not sure I’d want to really give much more than Wright and picks for him
FIRE JASON KIDD
arkuo
General Manager

Post#155 » by arkuo » Mon May 11, 2020 8:26 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
arkuo wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Turner would be the odd man out before Brogdon or Dipo surely.

Sabonis is clearly the superior big man on the team and Indiana picked Bitadze pretty high in the draft last year to likely be the one to replace him.

Is Turner worth trading for? I’m not sure I’d want to really give much more than Wright and picks for him

Down year + no space for him on the Pacers roster. I'd say Powell + Wright + picks.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#156 » by HMFFL » Thu May 14, 2020 4:49 pm

Oladipo is a risk that turned down a 4yr extension worth $80m. His talents once justified that he deserves more money per year, but it's questionable that he can still be that player, and he realizes that the extension Indiana offer him will note than likely still be there later on.

I don't view like KP when he was rehabbing because I don't believe Oladipo is a #1 or #2 option on a team that wins a championship. While I do like him, I view of as more of a third option on a championship team, and I question if he can get back to his All-NBA caliber production that he once had.

arkuo
General Manager

Post#157 » by arkuo » Thu May 14, 2020 6:50 pm

HMFFL wrote:Oladipo is a risk that turned down a 4yr extension worth $80m. His talents once justified that he deserves more money per year, but it's questionable that he can still be that player, and he realizes that the extension Indiana offer him will note than likely still be there later on.

I don't view like KP when he was rehabbing because I don't believe Oladipo is a #1 or #2 option on a team that wins a championship. While I do like him, I view of as more of a third option on a championship team, and I question if he can get back to his All-NBA caliber production that he once had.

HMFFL, you have any idea if the Hawks plan to max out John Collins to keep him? Or would they just draft Obi Toppin as insurance in case Collins walks?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#158 » by HMFFL » Fri May 15, 2020 4:01 am

arkuo wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Oladipo is a risk that turned down a 4yr extension worth $80m. His talents once justified that he deserves more money per year, but it's questionable that he can still be that player, and he realizes that the extension Indiana offer him will note than likely still be there later on.

HMFFL, you have any idea if the Hawks plan to max out John Collins to keep him? Or would they just draft Obi Toppin as insurance in case Collins walks?

I expect Atlanta to not select Obi Toppin since John Collins is part of the future. While I'm not sure if he receives the max due to the virus situation, because of the unknow, and NBA supposedly lowering the salary cap, I do believe the Hawks give him the best offer.

I think the Hawks target Anthony Edwards or James Wiseman. I also expect them to explore trade options to see what kind of value they receive for their pick.

Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#159 » by Darren » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:25 pm

I think the Mavs is better off signing Isisah Thomas and maybe DeMarcus Cousins or Ryan Broekhoff to replace Mkg & Jackson for a playoff run. Thomas was a proven winner in playoff series. With the speedy and ability to shoot and create, this takes significant pressure off key players. For example, opponents can no longer put a PG on Doncic while IT is on court as well. This may be beneficial scenario for the whole team in a playoff series. IT, meanwhile, can find a big stage to improve next contract. With Barea on twight stage of career, IT sounds like a good replacement. The Mavs might actually trade Brunson for another young piece. This seems to be very beneficial in a long run as well.

With Powell injuries, the Mavs might need creative option at 4. Broekhoff can play stretch 4 role effectively and is familiar with the system. The low post defense from Broekhoff actually could pass eye tests. As for Cousins, I am not so sure. Cousins can play for sure. But both KP and Cousins wants the 5 role. I wonder if the duo could co-exist on the floor. Surely, Cousins could score and rebound. Not sure about the defense and effectiveness, though. Therefore, I like Broekhoff a little more.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#160 » by fuller4379 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:12 am

Glad to see the Clippers implode. Kawhi Leonard looking a little overrated after the Nuggets series. Can the Nuggets take down the real Los Angeles team now?

Return to Dallas Mavericks