Where would you take Goga Bitadze in 2020 NBA draft?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Where would you take Goga Bitadze in 2020 NBA draft? 

Post#1 » by Lazlo4D » Tue Apr 7, 2020 4:00 am

The Pacers currently don't have a FRP the 2020 NBA Draft. Some think it will be a very weak draft.

After seeing Goga Bitadze in limited minutes this year with Pacers, what pick would he likely be taken?
Top five? Top ten? Same area he was taken last year (18th)?

Not sure I know the this year's college players very well especially with no NCAA tournament but I'd rather have Goga Bitadze than LaMelo Ball, and he is projected as top 5.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Re: Where would you take Goga Bitadze in 2020 NBA draft? 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 7, 2020 4:26 pm

Hard to say. In this theoretical, where did Goga play this past year? Still in the Adriatic League? Did he get any extra tv/video time? He wouldn’t have gotten to workout in front of execs this year, so it’s really possible he may have slid into the 2nd through no fault of his own, or more likely pulled out of the draft, just due to coronavirus restrictions.

Otherwise, I’m comfortable saying long term he’ll be at least on par with top 10 picks in this draft.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,758

Post#3 » by UcanUwill » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:06 am

As an Euro, I like him better than Avdija.
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,300

Post#4 » by Hoop Hunter » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:15 pm

I'm conflicted on Goga. Early in the season he had me very excited about his potential. Then he went into a big slump and didn't play very well for most Jan/Feb. Granted his playing time slipped, but was it his play that caused fewer minutes or his lack of minutes hurting his play? He looked like "deer in headlights" the longer the season went on, you would think he would be getting more comfortable?

I love his shot blocking and rebounding potential, his shooting has been very disappointing. I thought his shooting was his biggest selling point when drafted? Seems like a good guy, so I'll be rooting very hard for him, but I still have no idea what we have in Goga.

Since I haven't followed college basketball very much for 10+ years and know nothing about foreign players. I have no idea were he would be picked now. I guess I'll just wonder if we would have picked him in a do over? Who instead?
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#5 » by Jake0890 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Agree on the "deer in headlights" sentiment. I felt like his presence on the court was always noticed because he stood out as inexperienced and making minor mistakes. With that said, I have absolutely no idea where he would've gone in the draft this time around. If we're redrafting knowing what his performance was this year, his draft stock certainly doesn't go up.
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#6 » by Gremz » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Goga is great, he'll grow into his game. I'd imagine if he'd played another Euro season his stock certainly wouldn't have dropped and I keep hearing this next draft to be less than stellar.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#7 » by pacers33granger » Tue May 5, 2020 10:11 pm

If it's just Goga going into the draft, top 10 easily. He was getting talk of top 10 last year in a far better class. If it was after this year, probably still around top 10 or not far after.

He flashed the potential that got him drafted. The deer in the headlights, slow to react, etc. should have been expected. Almost no 19-20 year old is ready to come in and play the NBA game right away and especially not 7 footers who played overseas. The game will slow down for him in time.

Remember how awkward and out of his element Myles looked for most of his first year? The difference was he got a chance to play through more mistakes. Domas too, though he was misused in OKC, but it was assumed he would be at best an alright bench big after his first year. And those two played college ball in the states.

Goga might never realize the potential, but it is far too early to make projections with sporadic minutes in half a season.

Return to Indiana Pacers