ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA XI

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Re: Around the NBA XI 

Post#621 » by stan francisco » Thu Apr 2, 2020 5:25 am

If the Knicks snag Elton Brand as GM, they will soon return to their glory days.

I think we can expect that to be a done deal. We’ll have tough competition for Giannis, even if we have his brother.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#622 » by stan francisco » Thu Apr 2, 2020 6:03 am

And we can assume the season over.

Over the next four weeks we will find out exactly how recklessly ignorant we’ve been here in the USA to COVID-19. This is about to hit the fan, WW3 death toll like numbers ahead. If this administration calls 240,000 a success possible “if we do everything perfectly from here on out”, think 2.4M since we’re doing nothing right and have done nothing right since knowing about this since December; federally. My guess given the senseless lack of lockdown, testing, tracing, isolating; is that this will be an onslaught of unnecessary death ongoing until August or longer.

How did it trick the whole world? “I feel fine”, is how. Of all infected in Iceland, 50% had NO symptoms at all, and may have indirectly killed people they were in proximity to without knowing.

Georgia, Texas, Wyoming, Mississippi, Florida haven’t even shut down all but essential businesses. They’re trying to protect the economy for all the dead people to enjoy after they die of Covid-19. Or do they expect the neighboring state to send help?

Listen to the real news, not the Faux ‘news’. It’s not one guy from China. It’s not going away when it gets warm. It’s not 15 going down to 0. We don’t have it under control. It’s a deadly infection that is 4-500 times more contractable than the common flue and 20-30 times deadlier.

“I feel fine”, right now means ‘I’m willfully ignorant enough to risk your life with a deadly infection I might carry; at a time of no hospital beds’ or ‘I don’t care if I might kill you, I’m still gonna give you a hug when I drop off your groceries’.

That’s why we will all soon have to go on a shelter in place order, nationally. The president can’t deny reality any longer when your grandma dies two weeks after you visited her.

To do something to stop this madness, we’ll all have to self-isolate as much as we absolutely can. Now! A month ago. We should have done that two months ago.

I’m on day 18, voluntarily and thanks to my job allowing it. Grocery delivery outside and cloroxed, and my kids are the only contacts I’ve had. I’m gonna keep it that way for weeks on end. I can take walks for fresh air. But I’m not going to risk being an unknowing spreader of Corona virus. Then again, I like introspection time. Not everyone does.

My guess is that the NBA returns in January 2021 for another half season.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#623 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Apr 2, 2020 8:15 pm

Watched a David Blaine Magic special, did a number on Rondo, everyone cracked up, when Rondo picked a card, and Blaine hid it under Rondos watch...lol
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#624 » by Slava » Mon Apr 6, 2020 9:56 pm

So if the season gets cancelled, do they re do with last seasons draft order? If so, Lakers are in for a lottery pick.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#625 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Apr 8, 2020 11:19 pm

Hey, Montrez is a free agent. Lets see what else is out there
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#626 » by Slava » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:26 pm

This is a great video breaking down off ball movement in basketball.

Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,112

Post#627 » by Dr Aki » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:32 am

Basically get handsy?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#628 » by Slava » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:49 am

Dr Aki wrote:Basically get handsy?

He has a great point about even great defenders dialing down the intensity when they are off the ball. The best thing the Warriors did was re-emphasize off ball movement in a league predicated on high pick and rolls.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#629 » by Landsberger » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:27 am

Slava wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:Basically get handsy?

He has a great point about even great defenders dialing down the intensity when they are off the ball. The best thing the Warriors did was re-emphasize off ball movement in a league predicated on high pick and rolls.

Off the ball movement was a staple of the motion offenses throughout the history of the game. Playing without the ball is something that takes time to learn. Timing is the key.

Our current team has a couple guys who move well without the ball but we don't seem to have any real planned action off the ball in our sets with Bron at the point. We too often get into 3 guys at the line and Bron/Davis P&R. It could be so much better.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#630 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:09 am

I agree, and This is why i had mentioned before, without Jax and the Motion style, we are left with just getting more. More scorers. More talent. More dawgs. More 1 v 1 guys to compensate. Our coach is good defensively. But we have no motion and plenty of standing around.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#631 » by Kilroy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:38 am

Our team is hard to figure. If I didn't know the record and just watched us play games, I'd say we had no shot at a title. Our big 2 each do their thing but don't seem dominant enough to win it all. Our role players are inconsistent, and there's a massive drop off in talent from LeBron/AD to the next best guy on the team.
But it's hard to argue with the record... And it's hard to deny our string of big wins leading up to the shut down.

I still don't know... Despite our success, it's been hard to get really excited because it's always been kind of pulling out last minute wins from shaky games we almost gave away.

I find myself wondering what this team would look like with a better coach and system, at times too. LeBron, AD, McGee, Green, KCP could be a really interesting Triangle lineup...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#632 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:53 am

This is why in another thread i said, the Clippers lost out if the season is gone. They outmaneuvered our office by getting both Kawhi and George. They out gunned us during free agency, where we went for reggie J, lost out etc.. Their bench is stronger. And i believe Montrez is free. Jackson is free. Morris is free.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#633 » by Kilroy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:18 pm

Did anyone benefit more from this stoppage than Zion?.. No rookie wall... Dude was on injury watch every game...

I guess the answer hinges on how well he actually is keeping in shape... (not just what he says.)
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#634 » by iamworthy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:30 am

Kilroy wrote:Did anyone benefit more from this stoppage than Zion?.. No rookie wall... Dude was on injury watch every game...

I guess the answer hinges on how well he actually is keeping in shape... (not just what he says.)

The clippers.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#635 » by Landsberger » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:13 am

LAKESHOW wrote:I agree, and This is why i had mentioned before, without Jax and the Motion style, we are left with just getting more. More scorers. More talent. More dawgs. More 1 v 1 guys to compensate. Our coach is good defensively. But we have no motion and plenty of standing around.

This is a product of our star as much as anything. Bron has played this game basically one way and it's kind of late to put him in a motion offense I'd think. Back the the Triangle days we had plenty of sets for isolation however we always had secondary structured action off the ball. That's the part I just don't see. It's P&R to a 3 ball down the stretch for us. It's worked to this point for us but it still seems to not involve our talent at their fullest levels.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#636 » by Landsberger » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:16 am

Kilroy wrote:Did anyone benefit more from this stoppage than Zion?.. No rookie wall... Dude was on injury watch every game...

My guess is that LeBron has benefited more than anyone. Zion is what he is... which is a fun guy to watch but has a long way to go to be a real difference maker. Giving Bron a bunch of rest at this point has negated Doc's "I don't care how much you paid to see Leonard" load management crap.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#637 » by Kilroy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:54 am

iamworthy wrote:

The clippers.

How so? They were pretty healthy coming down the stretch. And they were starting to gel a little more as they all got PT together... If anything, I'd be concerned this set them back. I just don't see Kawhi or PG as the kind of leaders that rally the troops from home... I wouldn't be surprised if no one on that team's even talked to Kawhi since the shutdown...
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#638 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:38 am

If we started back up again, i would be clueless as to who would win. I mean it is a total toss up. We lost some momentum but needed rest. Clippers have to get everyone on the same page, difficult with all of the new parts. Bucks lost some momentum, and unknown if they would be able to re start the engine. They may be however in good position chemistry wise, but with this long break who knows. After 82 i can usually tell where our team is at, i could see a build up with our team, or if we aint.got it. But this coronavirus just threw everything out the window. Its a toss up imo.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#639 » by Landsberger » Fri May 1, 2020 1:04 am

LAKESHOW wrote:If we started back up again, i would be clueless as to who would win. I mean it is a total toss up. We lost some momentum but needed rest. Clippers have to get everyone on the same page, difficult with all of the new parts. Bucks lost some momentum, and unknown if they would be able to re start the engine. They may be however in good position chemistry wise, but with this long break who knows. After 82 i can usually tell where our team is at, i could see a build up with our team, or if we aint.got it. But this coronavirus just threw everything out the window. Its a toss up imo.

We have an aged Bron and a constantly dinged up Davis. I'd say since we can't win even one series without both of them we benefited the most. The Clips and Bucks could win a series with their depth with a star dinged up or out.... not so sure we could.

I'd also this may be the time Kuzma needed to get the monkey off his back shooting from deep.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#640 » by iamworthy » Mon May 4, 2020 3:24 pm

Kilroy wrote:
iamworthy wrote:

The clippers.

How so? They were pretty healthy coming down the stretch. And they were starting to gel a little more as they all got PT together... If anything, I'd be concerned this set them back. I just don't see Kawhi or PG as the kind of leaders that rally the troops from home... I wouldn't be surprised if no one on that team's even talked to Kawhi since the shutdown...

IIRC Paul George and pat bev were coming of hammy's that really doesn't go away for a while you just try to work through it. I believe this was Paul George 2nd hamstring injury this year. And with kwahi's knee issues, any amount of rest will always help him. I'm no doctor but I think rest is the best those guys could ask for considering those injuries.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers