And1: 53,801

G-League "Ignite" – Shutting Down After 2023-24 Season 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Former Michigan basketball commitment Isaiah Todd reportedly joining G League

Orion Sang | Detroit Free Press | April 16, 2020

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2020/04/16/michigan-basketball-isaiah-todd-g-league/5145889002/
Todd and Green's commitment to playing in the G League appears to be the result of a push from the NBA to make the G League a more appealing option for high school players. ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported the new G League initiative will pay "elite prospects" at least $500,000 while providing a "one-year development program outside of the minor league's traditional team structure."

Read on Twitter

Going from $125,000 for G-league Selects, to $500,000 is going to make a Big difference.
That's more than many Two-Way Contract players make.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Game Changer: G-League Select offering $500K to High Schoolers 

Post#2 » by Parliament10 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#3 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:54 pm

Top-tier kids probably still make more in college, but overall this is awesome.

Who is the dude in this draft who skipped college to train and has an "internship" with New Balance for like a 1 million? I'd love to see more of that and just decimate the **** NCAA.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#4 » by grindtime22 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:39 am

Bleeding Green wrote:Top-tier kids probably still make more in college, but overall this is awesome.

Who is the dude in this draft who skipped college to train and has an "internship" with New Balance for like a 1 million? I'd love to see more of that and just decimate the **** NCAA.

It was Darius Bazley from the Thunder
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,150

Post#5 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:48 am

Read on Twitter
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#6 » by GoGreen » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:02 am

This is big big big big news. But who decides what G league team these guys play for?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#7 » by Parliament10 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:21 pm

GoGreen wrote:This is big big big big news. But who decides what G league team these guys play for?

They're going to play for a New Los Angeles team (that hasn't been created yet).
I gather that this will be the 29th G-League team. I believe that the Trail Blazers are the only holdout.

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
rywith22
Sophomore
And1: 159

Post#8 » by rywith22 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:03 pm

I think this is a GREAT idea from the NBA to do something like this. Sure, it hurts the NCAA for that one year those kids would be going to school but everyone knows who the 1 and done guys are, coming in. If anything, we should get more kids that go to school for 3-4 years now to develop their game. My only concern is that this new developmental thing try's to poach some sophomore or higher kids from NCAA schools to "develop" them. It should be reserved for the incoming freshman only and see if they can be turn into something or if they are just overhyped. Leave the kids in college. I'm curious to see how this goes...
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#9 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:30 pm

I'm glad to see this. No more pretending. The kids who plan on leaving after a year can get paid and practice against real pros, while the kids who aren't good enough to make the NBA and truly want an education now have scholarships available to them.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#10 » by Parliament10 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:02 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/04/20/g-league-mamba-sports-academy-facilites-select-team-headquarters?xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_campaign=sinow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com
The "Select Team" is a G League initiative that will pay elite prospects and provide a one-year development program separate from the league's prior makeup. To avoid assigning top players to NBA affiliate franchises, the G League has considered developing such high-level prospects in an academy-type structure, according to Sports Illustrated's Jeremy Woo. The salary range for the top prospects is believed to be in the range of $500,000, including incentives and sponsorship opportunities, per Woo.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Game Changer: G-League "Select Team" offering $500K to High Schoolers 

Post#11 » by Parliament10 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:23 pm

Duplicate
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#12 » by Parliament10 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:28 pm

rywith22 wrote:I think this is a GREAT idea from the NBA to do something like this. Sure, it hurts the NCAA for that one year those kids would be going to school but everyone knows who the 1 and done guys are, coming in. If anything, we should get more kids that go to school for 3-4 years now to develop their game. My only concern is that this new developmental thing try's to poach some sophomore or higher kids from NCAA schools to "develop" them. It should be reserved for the incoming freshman only and see if they can be turn into something or if they are just overhyped. Leave the kids in college. I'm curious to see how this goes...

IDk about that. These "Select Team" players get a scholarship along with their pay, and are able to acquire endorsements.
The thing that I'd like to see, is that the G-League go down to 16 years old. I mean, tennis players can go pro at 14.

These guys have only a limited time in their lives to play the sport at a professional level.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,229

Post#13 » by TheSheriff » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
rywith22 wrote:I think this is a GREAT idea from the NBA to do something like this. Sure, it hurts the NCAA for that one year those kids would be going to school but everyone knows who the 1 and done guys are, coming in. If anything, we should get more kids that go to school for 3-4 years now to develop their game. My only concern is that this new developmental thing try's to poach some sophomore or higher kids from NCAA schools to "develop" them. It should be reserved for the incoming freshman only and see if they can be turn into something or if they are just overhyped. Leave the kids in college. I'm curious to see how this goes...

IDk about that. These "Select Team" players get a scholarship along with their pay, and are able to acquire endorsements.
The thing that I'd like to see, is that the G-League go down to 16 years old. I mean, tennis players can go pro at 14.

These guys have only a limited time in their lives to play the sport at a professional level.

16 year olds cannot physically compete with 20 to 25 year old men playing in the G League. There is a reason MLB, which allows non-Americans to turn pro at 16, have separate leagues for those players. Tennis is a different sport with a different physical peak.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#14 » by Parliament10 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:06 pm

TheSheriff wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

16 year olds cannot physically compete with 20 to 25 year old men playing in the G League. There is a reason MLB, which allows non-Americans to turn pro at 16, have separate leagues for those players. Tennis is a different sport with a different physical peak.

IDK about that. I think that there are some 16 yr olds that can compete against early 20's.
Many Euro-players go pro at 16, some at 14. I think that it's a matter of semantics.

It's at 18 now, for the G-League. So we'll see. But when the NBA goes down to 18, it's not inconceivable that a 16 yr old could be ready to compete at the G-league level.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#15 » by Parliament10 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#16 » by Parliament10 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:05 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#17 » by Parliament10 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#18 » by Taget » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:15 pm

Stealing recruits from U of Michigan? Shameful! :nonono:
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#19 » by Parliament10 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:38 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics