2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Are you happy with the Thunder’s draft night decisions?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Yes
36%
No
18%
Not sure
45%

Total votes: 11

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#121 » by getrichordie » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:44 am

jambalaya wrote:For the first rounder, I think the basic choice is trade up significantly for Vassell, Nesmith or Pokusevski or make sure you can get who want among Jalen Smith, Tre Jones, Tyler Bey and Paul Reed.

If they were super-confident Toppin or Haliburton was the right guy / fit, they could try to move way up but it seems unlikely or quite costly.

If you didn't like the picks available at 25, turning it into 2-3 seconds, now and perhaps later, might be ok.

Poku would be the biggest gamble of these.

I hate Jalen Smith as a fit for our team. Think he’s a 4/5 tweener who doesn’t do a whole lot on offense at the next level.

Nesmith is okay, but I’m not in love with him either.

Would love to trade up to get Vassell but at what cost?

I’d like to take a shot on Oturu who I think is being underrated. He’s a good passer for a big man. I think his floor is a 6th man. Has stretch 5 potential.

If Lewis Jr. slips, I full expect Presti to bite. Same thing with Tyler Bey. Presti is going to see some Roberson in Bey and his eyes will light up.

Patrick Williams is another guy I wouldn’t mind rolling the dice on at 25 is he’s available.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#122 » by jambalaya » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:51 am

Not as impressed with Williams as some others.

Oturu might be alright if they plan to move on soon from Adams.

Presti probably won't pick Tyler Bey. He threw Brandon Clarke away. He probably would be interested in K Lewis. More than me.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#123 » by getrichordie » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:43 am

jambalaya wrote:Not as impressed with Williams as some others.

Oturu might be alright if they plan to move on soon from Adams.

Presti probably won't pick Tyler Bey. He threw Brandon Clarke away. He probably would be interested in K Lewis. More than me.

I wouldn't call throwing Brandon Clarke away as a meaningful indicator as to what Presti will decide this year. Roberson was a 3-year player out of Colorado just like Bey is. And I think it is important to note that I think Presti knew Clarke was coming in really close to his ceiling where as Bazley just has a ton of potential due to his tools and he flashed that this year. Bazley is a whole > 4 years younger than Clarke. I don't know if there's a prospect in this years draft that screams untapped potential like Bazley did in our range in last year's draft.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#124 » by jambalaya » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:53 am

Bazley screams first year suck at many things and in general. The good was defensive rebounding, blocks, maybe not fouling and generally taking the right shots even if the shot efficiency was weak. He'll gets yr 2 & 3 to show more improvements. I won't think much about "potential" til he gets to half-decent then average.

On RPM estimate he starts out as one of the least helpful forwards in the league. Let me know when he passes B Clarke (45th best RPM estimate in league).
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#125 » by bondom34 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:09 am

Really like either of the Bey's if available, Jones and the PFs jambalaya listed too. Though I like Williams as well.

I'm fairly open, not a fan of McDaniels much. Would totally hate Achiuwa or Carey.

The Clarke trade seems bad, it is what it is at this point. Doubt Bazley is ever as good as rookie Clarke.

Also Bane is kind of interesting.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#126 » by jambalaya » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:17 am

Read on Twitter

BPM and TS% for prospects, overall and against strong teams. Williams down further against strong opponents.

Maybe there is a guy like Clarke / T Bey in many drafts. Probably should take one sometime.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#127 » by getrichordie » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:03 am

jambalaya wrote:
Read on Twitter

BPM and TS% for prospects, overall and against strong teams. Williams down further against strong opponents.

Maybe there is a guy like Clarke / T Bey in many drafts. Probably should take one sometime.

I think it is way too early to tell who won on the Clarke vs. Bazley front. Needs to be revisited in 2-3 years to get a proper analysis.

Also, nice find w/ these stats. Confirmed my analysis that Stewart and Okungwu are closer as prospects than most people think.

I also like Jalen Crutcher here. He's a guy I had my eye on as a sleeper in early mocks and these stats just bolster my valuation of him as a player.

Other guys that are looking pretty strong here are Oturu, Reed, Winston, Ayayi, Mays, Spencer Jones, Matt Mitchell, Riller, and Ayayi.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#128 » by jambalaya » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:20 pm

Lineup data shows best team results by far with Bazley when with Paul and Adams. Probably should either start next season or be one of first subs. Not good overall with SGA or Schroder but can be with 2-3 PGs.

Not sure how I feel about it or how it would hold up long-term but Paul Schroder Nader Bazley Adams was very good in 25 minutes so far. I'd try to get 50-100 more minutes for that if season is revived. Could possibly be a piece of the main lineup rotation next season.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#129 » by jambalaya » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:44 pm

Crutcher does look good in the stats / metrics. Will try to look at film later.

Hadn't looked at Bane before. Quick take is I'd share Bondom's interest in him. I like Saddiq Bey pretty well also.

Being somewhat impatient and increasingly liking this draft's depth, I might move some part of the future assets for more mid to late picks this draft, as long as the cost is reasonable.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#130 » by getrichordie » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:36 pm

jambalaya wrote:Crutcher does look good in the stats / metrics. Will try to look at film later.

Hadn't looked at Bane before. Quick take is I'd share Bondom's interest in him. I like Saddiq Bey pretty well also.

Being somewhat impatient and increasingly liking this draft's depth, I might move some part of the future assets for more mid to late picks this draft, as long as the cost is reasonable.

I feel like Crutcher would be a really solid back up PG at the next level.

I just don’t love Bane. I just don’t know what his selling point is. I don’t get it.

I share your sentiment, though, regarding this draft. I think there are definitely some value picks in the 2nd round depending on how the draft shakes out.

I’ve had Ayayi as high as 20th on my big board. There’s just something about him that I like about him. He has legit combo-guard potential and he’s shown some nasty flashes. Dosunmu is up there for me as well.

I think Keyontae Johnson is returning, but I would loved to have the chance to pick him in the mid-2nd round.

Winston makes me think of a smaller version of Paul Pierce.

I don’t know how more people aren’t talking about Isaiah Joe. Kid is a flat out sharp shooter. I like him as a cheap 6th man. He can’t be worse than Malik Monk as a prospect.

Wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on guys like Hughes or Whitley.

If Cazalon is declaring, I 100% want to stash his rights.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#131 » by jambalaya » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:07 pm

Bane is 44% from 3 on good volume and his only major boxscore weakness is a low ft rate.

I liked what I saw in Ayayi's stats a month or more ago but I don't think I have watched video of him yet.

I am not going to get around to watching video on everybody.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by bondom34 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:37 pm

I was OK with Joe earlier in the year, but he's been a weak defender and mostly just a shooter with nothing else. Bane's numbers are better pretty much across the board other than pure 3 point shooting. Ramsey's sort of OK but I don't really see any huge strengths either. I was higher on Green earlier but kind of lost it.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=desmond-bane--josh-green--isaiah-joe--jahmi-us-ramsey
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#133 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:03 am

jambalaya wrote:Bane is 44% from 3 on good volume and his only major boxscore weakness is a low ft rate.

I liked what I saw in Ayayi's stats a month or more ago but I don't think I have watched video of him yet.

I am not going to get around to watching video on everybody.

I just don't think Bane is going to be quick enough at the next level for his game to translate. I think he projects as a below average defender and his 3-pt shooting numbers are nice, but his release is pretty low. He's a good passer out of the PnR, but I just don't see him being asked to handle the ball at the next level unless it's in a pinch. He's average athletically, posting a negative wingspan (6'4), and he's just not quick enough for my liking. Also, his 80% FT shooting gives me concerns. He's held the same FT% over his entire 4 year career for the most part, so I hate when I don't see improvement in that area.

Now, I could be totally wrong about Bane. Maybe you can plug him in at the 1 on some teams and he will be bigger and could be solid at running a second unit, but I just can't see the same kind of threat being there at the next level due to his lack of quickness and speed. Furthermore, I don't see him being able to keep up with NBA guards.

When it comes to Joe, I just think he's a better athlete and a threat from 3 every time he steps on the floor. I like his release a lot better than Banes and he improved his FT% a whole 14 points and his FTr is double what Bane's is. I like that. Overall, I don't think he's worse than Banes defensively. I actually think he's a little better. He has nice tools (~6'10 wingspan) but needs to add weight. He knows how to hit threes off the dribble, spotting-up, in transition, and he leverages his 3-pt threat nicely to get to the hole.

Joe's knee is what is causing his stock to stop. But if he's healthy, I just like his fit better at the NBA level.

This game perfectly captures what Joe is capable of:

[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#134 » by getrichordie » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:33 pm

Really liking Josh Hall if we can get him in the 2nd round. Wouldn’t mind trading up. Think his potential is pretty high and is good value for 2nd round. Seems like such an OKC prospect.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#135 » by getrichordie » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:00 am

Read on Twitter
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#136 » by getrichordie » Thu May 7, 2020 6:10 pm

I have these guys as being available in our pick range:

Theo Maledon

#4 Jalen Smith - projects to be a back-up 4/5 who can rim-protect, rebound, and also stretch the floor a little. potential to be a great small-ball 5 and maybe a starting 4 with defensive improvements.
Daniel Oturu

#1 Josh Green - solid wing defender at the next level where he can guard 1-3 comfortably and also has potential to be above average when spotting up from 3. serviceable passer.

#2 Malachi Flynn - quick, heady, trusted ball-handler who can score from all over the floor and in a variety of ways. solid operating out of P&R. can lead second unit with 6th man potential.

Nate Hinton
Amar Sylla

#3 Robert Woodard II - projects to be a solid wing defender who can guard 2-4 and be an above average spot-up shooter from 3

Grant Riller
Jalen Crutcher
Isaiah Stewart

#5 Precious Achiuwa - projects to be a really good multi-positional defender who can handle switches and rotations. ideal role is back-up 5 who can also play the 4 and defend some 3s. offense won't be an issue in transition, but will be a project in all other areas. good defensive rebounder.

Aleksej Pokusevski
Tyler Bey
Leandro Bolmaro
Ashton Hagans
Reggie Perry
Paul Reed
Elijah Hughes
Tre Jones
Trevelin Queen
Killian Tillie
Devon Dotson
Desmond Bane

If you had to pick 5, who are you going with? Feel free to rank them and give reasoning.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#137 » by youngWizzy » Sat May 9, 2020 2:09 am

Hello everybody,

Tool: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com

I recently developed an NBA Draft Comparison tool that has gained a good amount of popularity on Twitter by several draft analysts

The tool retrieves similar physical, statistical (per40), and advanced stat comparisons for any player dating back to the 2000 NBA Draft based on their position

Note: Advanced stats only go back to the 2011 Draft and there are currently only limited physical comparisons for some of the 2020 prospects as the combine hasn't reported official measurements. Additionally, if you cannot find a player in the stats, visuals, or advanced pages you can enter their sports-reference url and the site will generate the comparisons then.

If you end up seeing this, any feedback/comments/suggestions that you have or would like me to add a feature to the website is something that I'd appreciate a whole lot. You can dm me here but preferable on twitter:youngwizzydfs and I will respond asap.

The experience is a lot better on desktop/laptop than mobile which is something I am working on right now

If you don't mind sharing the tool with your friends and people that would mean a whole lot as it could lead to potential donations to my site that will help keep it up! Been working on this for a few years now so it's been one hell of a roller coaster ride!

Per 40 stat comparison can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/stats

Advanced stat comparisons can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/advanced

Physical comparisons can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/measurements

A visualizations page which visualizes how a player compares to their position can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/visuals

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#138 » by bondom34 » Sat May 9, 2020 3:14 am

youngWizzy wrote:Hello everybody,

I recently developed an NBA Draft Comparison tool that has gained a good amount of popularity on Twitter by several draft analysts

The tool retrieves similar physical, statistical (per40), and advanced stat comparisons for any player dating back to the 2000 NBA Draft based on their position

Note: Advanced stats only go back to the 2011 Draft and there are currently only limited physical comparisons for some of the 2020 prospects as the combine hasn't reported official measurements. Additionally, if you cannot find a player in the stats, visuals, or advanced pages you can enter their sports-reference url and the site will generate the comparisons then.

If you end up seeing this, any feedback/comments/suggestions that you have or would like me to add a feature to the website is something that I'd appreciate a whole lot. You can dm me here but preferable on twitter:youngwizzydfs and I will respond asap.

The experience is a lot better on desktop/laptop than mobile which is something I am working on right now

If you don't mind sharing the tool with your friends and people that would mean a whole lot as it could lead to potential donations to my site that will help keep it up! Been working on this for a few years now so it's been one hell of a roller coaster ride!

Per 40 stat comparison can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/stats

Advanced stat comparisons can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/advanced

Physical comparisons can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/measurements

A visualizations page which visualizes how a player compares to their position can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/visuals

Just gave a retweet, this is really good stuff man!
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#139 » by youngWizzy » Sat May 9, 2020 3:20 am

bondom34 wrote:
youngWizzy wrote:Hello everybody,

Just gave a retweet, this is really good stuff man!

Thank you so much for the support! Appreciate all the love I can get really. Worked my a** of to make this haha. Thank you for sharing, it helps bring me donations and support that allows the website to stay up as long as possible.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#140 » by getrichordie » Wed May 13, 2020 5:35 am

Trevelin Queen should be in consideration for #25. Should definitely be available. Big impact player out of New Mexico State. Projects to be a good defender and good shooter. 3&D type. 6'6/190. A bit light, but hey, we can fix that.

[twitter] @thunderdustin

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder