2020 Pre-Draft Discussion

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Re: 2020 Draft Discussion 

Post#401 » by SWedd523 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:14 pm

Kembastockton wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:We go best player available. If thats Toppin so be it.

I am pretty sure the best player in this draft has been agreed to be Onyeka Okongwu. Many believe him to have a high floor with elite potential.

When was this agreed upon and who did the agreeing?
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#402 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Apr 2, 2020 1:04 pm

Obi Toppin won't be there at 8.
It has been written...
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#403 » by No-Man » Thu Apr 2, 2020 1:44 pm

Okongwu is a fine prospect but by no means he is the best prospect in this class lmao

He is alright, I'd be good with him late lotto, maybe late top10 in a specific situation but the Hornets need better
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#404 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Apr 2, 2020 1:55 pm

Okongwu is not very skilled. Kupchak favors skilled players. Every pick so far has been a highly skilled player. Athleticism is a bonus but it doesn't drive his scouting evaluations it seems. Kupchak will not draft Okongwu. He'd take Cole Anthony before Okongwu in my opinion.
It has been written...
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#405 » by Benjamin Linus » Thu Apr 2, 2020 4:36 pm

Outside of the top prospects (Edwards, Wiseman, Ball, Obi) who are some of the high upside guys?

With a draft this weak it seems like a good time to swing for the fences since you ain’t gonna miss out on much if you stike out
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#406 » by yosemiteben » Fri Apr 3, 2020 3:05 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Kupchak favors skilled players. Every pick so far has been a highly skilled player. Athleticism is a bonus but it doesn't drive his scouting evaluations it seems.

I would say Bridges was much more athletic than he was skilled. Do you disagree?
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#407 » by UNCNYC » Fri Apr 3, 2020 10:07 am

Benjamin Linus wrote:Outside of the top prospects (Edwards, Wiseman, Ball, Obi) who are some of the high upside guys?

With a draft this weak it seems like a good time to swing for the fences since you ain’t gonna miss out on much if you stike out

Here are a list of guys by position who I feel could have a good ceiling outside of what you mentioned. Not all have declared but many have or are expected too

PG
RJ Hampton
Theo Maledon
Devon Dotson

SG
Killian Hayes
James Bouknight
Isaiah Joe - reminds me EXACTLY of Ray Allen and Bradley Beal

SF
Aaron Wiggins
Leandro Bolmaro
josh green

PF
Jaden McDaniels
Onyeka Okongwu
Borisa Simanic

C
Jalen Smith
Jericho Sims
Zeke Nnaji
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#408 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Apr 3, 2020 10:58 am

yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Kupchak favors skilled players. Every pick so far has been a highly skilled player. Athleticism is a bonus but it doesn't drive his scouting evaluations it seems.

I would say Bridges was much more athletic than he was skilled. Do you disagree?

He's a freak athlete but that didn't drive the pick. He can score inside or out and he can finish with either hand. He can score in transition. He can play 3 or 4 and he can switch on defense. His skillset is very well rounded and diverse. There wasn't any big question of IF on any single aspect of his game. Highly skilled athletic freak. His athleticism increases his upside. But without the skill base it limits upside. Okongwu has a low ceiling.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#409 » by yosemiteben » Fri Apr 3, 2020 8:53 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

He's a freak athlete but that didn't drive the pick. He can score inside or out and he can finish with either hand. He can score in transition. He can play 3 or 4 and he can switch on defense. His skillset is very well rounded and diverse. There wasn't any big question of IF on any single aspect of his game. Highly skilled athletic freak. His athleticism increases his upside. But without the skill base it limits upside. Okongwu has a low ceiling.

Meh, agree to disagree. His stats regressed across the board his second season, and the year he was drafted he had pretty meh shooting %'s. He's a tweener due to his athleticism and body size more than because of skill. He came in with a very shaky handle and poor vision.

He definitely had potential, but the sure thing was the athleticism, not the skill.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#410 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Apr 4, 2020 4:41 am

I'm big on Haliburton. 6'5 guard who is an elite passer and shot 42% from 3. Count me in
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#411 » by 316Hornets » Wed Apr 8, 2020 4:12 pm

This might be one crazy draft where future stars get picked later than usual due to the lack of data with no NCAA Tournament and other Pre-draft activities. What's good is if the season ends today, we'll get the Boston 2nd rounder, Cleveland 2nd rounder(#2 or #3). We lose our own 2nd rounder to New York, but overall decent picks to find that diamond in the rough.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,515

Post#412 » by Bassman » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:44 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:I'm big on Haliburton. 6'5 guard who is an elite passer and shot 42% from 3. Count me in

Man do we need a really good SHOOTER at shooting guard! Realize he is rated as more of a PG due to build but good height and length. Hopefully he could add strength and play a combo role. Also need a real center but not likely at this pick.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#413 » by Benjamin Linus » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:55 pm

The Ringer just put up their NBA draft guide. The rankings might be a little wack but the breakdowns are pretty good. Quick glance, Devin Vassell is someone who caught my attention. Most mocks/boards had him late first round so I never really looked into him but he seems like someone to consider in our range - 6'7, elite defender (possibly best wing defender), shooting 41.5% from three and after watching some highlights it looks like he's got a little more to his game than just a typical 3&D prospect
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#414 » by euphorbus » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:31 pm

Cole Anthony is going pro. He'll flame out in about three years. There is no way he is ready for the NBA, physically, mentally, or in terms of actual basketball skill.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#415 » by UNCNYC » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:17 pm

it looks like Isiah Joe submitted his paperwork for the draft. that makes my choosing easy for our first pick. I have my picks as if fell to us

PICK 1 -
SG - Killian Hayes
SG - Isaiah Joe
SF - Leandro Bolmaro

PICK 2 -
PF - Borisa Simanic
C - Jalen Smith
SG - Ayo Dosunmu
SF - josh green
SG - Ty-Shon Alexander
PF - Amar Sylla
SF - Aaron Wiggins
SF - Elijah Hughes

PICK 3 -
PG - Devon Dotson
SF - Malcolm Cazalon
SG - Nate Hinton
C - Jericho Sims
C - Zeke Nnaji
SG - Tyrell Terry
SF - Saddiq Bey
PG - Tom Digbeu
C - Kaleb Wesson
SF - Jordan Tucker

I would probably trade back and take Joe with the first pick
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#416 » by UNCNYC » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:48 am

I have gone back and forth with who I would take if they were there at our 2nd pick between Tyshon Alexander and Ayo Dosunmu but I think I will choose Ayo SLIGHTLY. This guy has the potential to be the best in this draft. Ayo is better offensively and Tyshon defensively

Ayo could be an allstar.

Here are highlights of Tyshons game. (Although they are a bit boring) this dude is a defensive GLOVE and a solid all around player.

EDIT :

Players I would be EXTREMELY happy with are
SG - Killian Hayes
SG - Isaiah Joe
SF - Leandro Bolmaro
SG - Ayo Dosunmu
PF - Borisa Simanic

Players I would be happy with are
SG - Melo Ball
SF - josh green
SG - Ty-Shon Alexander
SF - Malcolm Cazalon
SG - Nate Hinton
SG - Tyrell Terry
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#417 » by LofJ » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:11 am

I wonder if the lottery is still going to happen next month. I heard that the draft might not happen until late July, early August.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,734

Post#418 » by Diop » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:15 am

LofJ wrote:I wonder if the lottery is still going to happen next month. I heard that the draft might not happen until late July, early August.

it can't happen if they don't know the final win tally, theu havent decided when the season will be finished yet
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#419 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:41 pm

Silver said we'd get an update at the beginning of May so I'm hoping the draft is addressed at that time also.

Seems straightforward to me though, if the season continues the lotto/draft is delayed, if the season is canceled the lotto/draft goes on as scheduled.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#420 » by BigSlam » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:18 pm

Diop wrote:
LofJ wrote:I wonder if the lottery is still going to happen next month. I heard that the draft might not happen until late July, early August.

it can't happen if they don't know the final win tally, theu havent decided when the season will be finished yet

NHL is talking about holding the draft before the end of the season.

Which would mean the lottery would have to take place prior to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets