Post#1 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:41 am

Well...
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Re: LAKERS return 4.6 Mil Stimulus funding 

Post#2 » by Beethoven » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:27 am

Oh well. Lot of struggling small businesses need it. Glad we returned it.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#3 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:14 pm

How does that affect the cap?

Jk
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#4 » by Landsberger » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:18 am

How does an NBA team even get on the list?... or even have the spheres too ask? Pitiful... I'm sure if you follow the political donations of the Buss family it will probably make sense...
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Post#5 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:38 am

Just a PR nightmare. Yes, money returned. But short sighted. No vision. Did not forsee the obvious backlash. They returned the Money, meaning after the fact, they finally then seen the error of their ways. But hey, at least they returned it
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#6 » by Landsberger » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:18 am

LAKESHOW wrote:Just a PR nightmare. Yes, money returned. But short sighted. No vision. Did not forsee the obvious backlash. They returned the Money, meaning after the fact, they finally then seen the error of their ways. But hey, at least they returned it

The error was it becoming public and second thoughts are solely because it became public.

This is even more egregious than some of the other "large" companies doing this IMHO because the Lakers have very few true employees compared to the dollar value they asked for and took. A fast food chain could pay a whole lot of employees a reduced rate with that money... and they still probably should be vetted.

But hey.... Jimmy's got bar tabs that need to be paid and Jeannie probably needs a manicure.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#7 » by Beethoven » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:40 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:How does that affect the cap?

Jk

I think it would have given us the ability to go into luxury tax penalty $4.6 million more.

Which is essential.
In a sports business sort of way.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:00 pm

I don't get it... I think any uproar over this is pure fake news... Logic dictates that even if we kept it, it wouldn't prevent any other needy small business from getting their own.
And I don't get the feeling the average American cares who takes money from the government or whether they deserve it or not. All I hear is how the government isn't giving enough of it away.
That and it seems like most people literally hate their stimulus checks anyway, because Trump had the audacity to sign them. If I believed social media, there has to be a new hole in the ozone layer from all the people burning their checks.

Satire aside, The Lakers probably shouldn't have gotten a check, I just find any outrage about it highly disingenuous. Half the people bitching, just drove their Porsches to the bank to deposit the check they just got while talking on their iPhone 11s.

There is so much fake outrage out there right now, and so many people that seem clinically unable to mind their own damned business...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#9 » by Landsberger » Fri May 1, 2020 12:56 am

Kilroy wrote:I don't get it... I think any uproar over this is pure fake news... Logic dictates that even if we kept it, it wouldn't prevent any other needy small business from getting their own.
And I don't get the feeling the average American cares who takes money from the government or whether they deserve it or not. All I hear is how the government isn't giving enough of it away.
That and it seems like most people literally hate their stimulus checks anyway, because Trump had the audacity to sign them. If I believed social media, there has to be a new hole in the ozone layer from all the people burning their checks.

Satire aside, The Lakers probably shouldn't have gotten a check, I just find any outrage about it highly disingenuous. Half the people bitching, just drove their Porsches to the bank to deposit the check they just got while talking on their iPhone 11s.

There is so much fake outrage out there right now, and so many people that seem clinically unable to mind their own damned business...

Not sure I agree. At some point someone has to have valid outrage at outrageous things or we're all screwed in the end. Music is playing and chairs are disappearing......

Maybe you don't pay taxes but I sure as hell do and that money eventually will come from me and millions like me. I sure as hell wouldn't give it to millionaire trustafarians.

When life long millionaires in a business that will fill any hole in their cashflow with contracted and guaranteed $$ are lining up to get money the powers that be intend (If their is "fake news" it's probably this) to go to the businesses that don't have guaranteed future income I think it's something the "serfs" who will pay those bills in the future should at least question. Business such as a sports franchise have access to large lines of credit that true small businesses do not. I know people who can't get home equity loans right now to save their businesses for example. But then again they don't have access to celebrity politicians either.

The last break in the economy the big banks and their government cronies created they also created protections to shield themselves from the outcome(TARP, QE 1,2,3,4...) in the guise of helping the little guy. Hell the bill that supposedly prevents if from happening again carries the names of the Senator and Congressman that opened the regulatory holes that created it in the first place. Swap the acronym CDO with CLO and it's OK I guess.

I don't see this as a whole lot different. My guess is a year from now the same people supposedly protecting us will be protecting themselves from an open evaluation of the data or a holistic evaluation of the entire social impact of the Great COVID panic of "20.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,537

Post#10 » by stan francisco » Tue May 5, 2020 4:24 am

Landsberger wrote:
Kilroy wrote:I don't get it... I think any uproar over this is pure fake news... Logic dictates that even if we kept it, it wouldn't prevent any other needy small business from getting their own.

Not sure I agree. At some point someone has to have valid outrage at outrageous things or we're all screwed in the end. Music is playing and chairs are disappearing......

Maybe you don't pay taxes but I sure as hell do and that money eventually will come from me and millions like me. I sure as hell wouldn't give it to millionaire trustafarians.

When life long millionaires in a business that will fill any hole in their cashflow with contracted and guaranteed $$ are lining up to get money the powers that be intend (If their is "fake news" it's probably this) to go to the businesses that don't have guaranteed future income I think it's something the "serfs" who will pay those bills in the future should at least question. Business such as a sports franchise have access to large lines of credit that true small businesses do not. I know people who can't get home equity loans right now to save their businesses for example. But then again they don't have access to celebrity politicians either.

The last break in the economy the big banks and their government cronies created they also created protections to shield themselves from the outcome(TARP, QE 1,2,3,4...) in the guise of helping the little guy. Hell the bill that supposedly prevents if from happening again carries the names of the Senator and Congressman that opened the regulatory holes that created it in the first place. Swap the acronym CDO with CLO and it's OK I guess.

I don't see this as a whole lot different. My guess is a year from now the same people supposedly protecting us will be protecting themselves from an open evaluation of the data or a holistic evaluation of the entire social impact of the Great COVID panic of "20.

Humans vs Covid19 may eventually bring a positive or two to the human experience. We‘ll sure need it to offset all the pain.

If shortsighted (“let’s see if I can get away with it”) selfishness like this were to be one thing to go out of style forever because of the situation we’re in, I’d take that. It’s disgusting that they applied. Glad they returned it.

Too bad millions of people world wide will have to die as a precondition for basic human decency perhaps possibly finally becoming a feasible fashion.

Dead people don’t buy stuff. Dead people don’t invest in stock. Simple math. Opening up means people dying. Innocent people.

Opening up = Covid19 flair-up. Guaranteed. Fact.

So, Governor MiracleGro in Georgia is about to put water and sun on his Corona seedlings. Dead people also don’t ask for unemployment. Just like they won’t while they’re alive; as long as the governor says it’s safe to go back to work.

Yeah, I hope that **** goes out of style now.

They can say it’s safe until they’re blue in the face. Until the last case is gone, it’s not. Until a vaccine ... A flair up can explode anywhere. And it will.

Stay alert and clear of people for a while. Only 1.1% have been tested. Up to 60% have it without any symptoms. The ‘I feel fine’ fraction will spread it. See nursing homes.

It begs the question to the Gov MiracleGro of Georgia: How many dollars is a human worth, Governor? That’s the question. Less than your campaign contributions, we assume. How much, exactly? You didn’t consider health so you must’ve done this by the $ numbers then, right? Is it a different value depending on the human? Is a white rich campaign donor equally worth to a white trash tattoo artist in front of your god Mammon, Governor, or is it okay to sacrifice some blue collar innocent folk, in order to try to save your own political face?

So, how many dollars for a human?

Until there’s a vaccine or until the last case is gone, no country is safe. A vaccine might be here next fall, 2021. I’m sheltering in place for much longer than they will say is safe.

We haven’t tested enough to be able to even talk about opening up. End $0.02
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#11 » by Landsberger » Tue May 5, 2020 10:42 pm

^^ Let's not just single out the Lakers. Higher Education Institutions did it as well... except they are not giving it back.

The 25 Universities with the largest endowments totaling over $350 Billion were allocated over a Billion in "short term" aid. No wonder they don't read the Bills they pass.... These aren't your small state colleges either. Ivy League and major Universities are front and center here. Meanwhile... 150 small business a day are closing.

All of this started with a small University in the UK and a horribly done predictive modeling of COVID-19. Once Sweden decided to not do a total societal lockdown they predicted over 40,000 deaths in Sweden by May 1st in the smuggest of ways.... The death total in Sweden on May 1st was 2,600 or so. Similarly, almost all of the predictive modeling has been wrong. Some modelers not connected to Governments have been much more accurate but even then they have missed my a statistically massive margin.

My guess is that the powers that be will spend the next couple of years twisting the data to imply that what they did was appropriate. It was a difficult call for them but Sweden showed that the disease travels at roughly the same speed and kills at the same rate regardless of the draconian measures taken in most of the world. In fact, deaths per 1,000 are lower in Sweden than in the UK. Must be that education difference....

Return to Los Angeles Lakers