ImageImageImageImageImage

John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Re: John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III 

Post#1661 » by dckingsfan » Sat Feb 8, 2020 7:03 pm

I though Wall was very good in the broadcast booth - I would love it if he was there for the first quarter of every game.

Justin Kutcher is starting to grow on me. Drew Gooden, not so much, it is all about me, me, me...
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1662 » by gambitx777 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 8:06 pm

Yeah the need to hire something new who has some pazaz
dckingsfan wrote:I though Wall was very good in the broadcast booth - I would love it if he was there for the first quarter of every game.

Justin Kutcher is starting to grow on me. Drew Gooden, not so much, it is all about me, me, me...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1663 » by payitforward » Sat Feb 8, 2020 8:10 pm

I thought John was terrific in the booth. He doesn't have any grasp of the professional stuff -- pacing, passing back & forth, & he had a tendency to repeat some phrases ("I tell him every day..."), but his understanding of the game, his quick pick-ups on stuff that happens, his generosity towards the players for what they can do.... He was really really good.

Drew is starting to learn the job to some degree. I like when he makes fun of himself. These guys are growing on me... as they improve too.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#1664 » by FAH1223 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 12:27 am

gambitx777 wrote:Yeah the need to hire something new who has some pazaz
dckingsfan wrote:I though Wall was very good in the broadcast booth - I would love it if he was there for the first quarter of every game.

payitforward wrote:I thought John was terrific in the booth. He doesn't have any grasp of the professional stuff -- pacing, passing back & forth, & he had a tendency to repeat some phrases ("I tell him every day..."), but his understanding of the game, his quick pick-ups on stuff that happens, his generosity towards the players for what they can do.... He was really really good.

Drew is starting to learn the job to some degree. I like when he makes fun of himself. These guys are growing on me... as they improve too.

Drew has gotten better. But man, Caron is a step above IMO.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1665 » by Wizardspride » Mon Mar 9, 2020 12:00 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#1666 » by DCZards » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:30 pm

Read on Twitter
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#1667 » by closg00 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 am

Pay wall issue, but some of you have access.....
Up against John Wall: G League players schooled by rehabbing guard

https://theathletic.com/1705527/2020/03/30/up-against-john-wall-g-league-players-schooled-by-rehabbing-guard/
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1668 » by payitforward » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:35 pm

I just signed up for a 3-month free subscription.

Wish there was some video of John practicing w/ the GoGo. Actualy... I wish there was any basketball whatever to watch!! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1669 » by Wizardspride » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#1670 » by DCZards » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:01 am

This is from an interview with John Hollinger that appeared in The Athletic.
JOHN HOLLINGER: Incorporating a high-usage piece is always a lot more complicated than incorporating a role player, because inevitably, they are going to displace a lot of possessions that were formerly used in different ways.

That said, I still think the Wizards can have a lot of offensive success while playing to Wall’s strengths. While Washington ran more stuff that allowed secondary players to thrive, one of the big reasons the offense improved so much wasn’t just the structure. It was the fact that they acquired a guy who can reliably hit from 30-plus feet off of pin-downs. Beal and Dāvis Bertāns were essentially the story of Washington’s offense, with a nudge from the Thomas Bryant-Moe Wagner center combo. The other guys weren’t major factors.

Any time Bertāns or Beal were off the court, the offense was pretty miserable (104.8 points per 100 possessions without Beal, 106.5 without Bertāns), but the Wizards scored at a fire emoji-worthy 118.7 per 100 clip with both playing, according to NBA.com.

Assuming that Bertāns re-signs, that element isn’t going away, and the floor will be a lot more open for Wall to do his thing anytime Bertāns is out there with him. Of course, one of Wall’s best skills has been the ability to generate 3-point shots for teammates; having shooters like Beal, Bertāns (and of course Garrison Mathews!!!) surrounding him should only make him more dangerous.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1671 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:19 pm

Hollinger mentioned Garrison Mathews...??
wall_glizzy
Junior
And1: 199

Post#1672 » by wall_glizzy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:56 pm

payitforward wrote:Hollinger mentioned Garrison Mathews...??

Off the topic of this thread, but yes he and Katz apparently love Mathews lol

FK: I see you mentioned our Text Thread Player of the Year above. Did anyone think we could go three questions without bringing up Garrison Mathews?!

For those of you who aren’t hacking our phones and need more background here, our text history is riddled with some combination of the names “Garrison” and “Mathews.” In the past three months, there has been reference to 2 a.m. Mathews film sessions, updates on references to him at random sports analytics conferences and purportedly genuine questions about if a team can convert a two-way contract into a max.

We need to find hobbies. But the fact that neither of us has done so means I am uniquely qualified to ask you this question and you, my friend, are the single analyst most certified to answer it.

I know you think Mathews is a legitimate NBA player, even though he went undrafted this past summer and ended up on a two-way contract. Where do you rank him amongst the rest of the youth the Wizards collected within the last year without giving up much or anything: Wagner, Bonga, Schofield and Robinson?

[...]

As for Garrison Mathews!!!, we had a pretty limited sample to work from last season (just 227 minutes), but one thing that has changed in the league in the past five years is that high-level shooters have a role to play, almost regardless of their defensive ability. And the big surprise was that Mathews, defensively, wasn’t even that bad. He has decent size at 6-5 and didn’t seem overtly flammable, at least relative to the rest of this team.

That said, as I dig deeper, it seems we may need to slow our roll a little on Mathews. The issue is whether he can keep shooting this well. Mathews played about twice as many minutes in the G League as he did in the NBA, and those minutes didn’t go nearly as well. He shot 30.4 percent on 3s and his PER was just 10.5, whereas most NBA-caliber players put up video game stats in the G League. His career mark in four years at Lipscomb was 37.4 percent — again, good but not bonkers.

I’d say he’s still a prove-it-to-me guy for the Wizards, but his NBA minutes were encouraging enough that he should be somebody they bring back on a minimum contract. If he can indeed turn the corner into a high-volume bombs-away guy in the mold of Duncan Robinson, he’ll be worth every cent.

This is all from part one of the article from which the quote Zards posted was pulled: https://theathletic.com/1768828/2020/04/27/projecting-the-wizards-future-with-former-nba-executive-john-hollinger-part-i/
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1673 » by Ruzious » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:43 pm

Notice all these guys start out as 24 year old rookies. Kinda makes me think that pure shooters should be developed longer in the G League. Duncan Robinson is one I can't figure out. He wasn't even that good in college. He had a nice freshman year but seemed to get worse, but watching him - he appears to be the real deal.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1674 » by Wizardspride » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#1675 » by pcbothwel » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:12 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

This cant be said enough. John Wall hasnt been 100% for an extended period of time in over half a decade.
i truly think any "diminished" version we may see due to the Achilles will be offset by his knees and feet being healthy again.

Combine that with a dedication to living/eating better and lower usage... The "Best" i.e. Most effective John Wall could quite possibly be seen over the next 2-3 years.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#1676 » by FAH1223 » Fri May 1, 2020 1:34 am

pcbothwel wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

This cant be said enough. John Wall hasnt been 100% for an extended period of time in over half a decade.
i truly think any "diminished" version we may see due to the Achilles will be offset by his knees and feet being healthy again.

Combine that with a dedication to living/eating better and lower usage... The "Best" i.e. Most effective John Wall could quite possibly be seen over the next 2-3 years.

Full Pod

dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#1677 » by dobrojim » Fri May 8, 2020 5:34 pm

A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1678 » by Dark Faze » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:53 pm

I'm of the opinion that John should play now. Everyone is in the same position of not being in basketball shape and there is a training camp. With the potential of no hooping until as late as December of next year--and likely very little ball being played in the summer--I'm just uncomfortable with that much of a gap for John in terms of playing basketball.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1679 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:40 am

Not only that but if let's say Kyrie talks some dudes into sitting out the play offs. Some big name guys even and the full wizards team shows up in shape, add wall and boom you might have a path the a the tittle series.
Dark Faze wrote:I'm of the opinion that John should play now. Everyone is in the same position of not being in basketball shape and there is a training camp. With the potential of no hooping until as late as December of next year--and likely very little ball being played in the summer--I'm just uncomfortable with that much of a gap for John in terms of playing basketball.

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#1680 » by doclinkin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:41 pm

Dark Faze wrote:I'm of the opinion that John should play now. Everyone is in the same position of not being in basketball shape and there is a training camp. With the potential of no hooping until as late as December of next year--and likely very little ball being played in the summer--I'm just uncomfortable with that much of a gap for John in terms of playing basketball.

I think for insurance purposes he has to sit out. Not because he hasn't hit the threshold for insurance to kick in but because reports of his being in great shape etc surfaced early in the year. I suspect the insurance company might look to challenge the payout for the year if he showed up at the last second and played superman. He talks about being in shape and ready to play and able to roast everyone and there are videos suggesting this is possible, but as soon as the question is raised about him playing there is a quick 'no' and no follow up. That hints there are non health related reasons for the holdout.

Return to Washington Wizards