Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Re: 2020 Draft Discussion 

Post#421 » by Diop » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:44 am

BigSlam wrote:
Diop wrote:
LofJ wrote:I wonder if the lottery is still going to happen next month. I heard that the draft might not happen until late July, early August.

it can't happen if they don't know the final win tally, theu havent decided when the season will be finished yet

NHL is talking about holding the draft before the end of the season.

Which would mean the lottery would have to take place prior to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i guess that would kill the end of season tanking
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#422 » by LofJ » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:50 pm

I can't get excited for any of the high lottery guys other than Edwards, Wiseman, or Hayes. I don't believe in the two-way potential of Ball, Toppin, Avdija, Okongwu, or Okoro.

Vassell and Haliburton further back could be good on both ends as well, but outside of them I'm not a huge fan of the players in our draft range.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#423 » by euphorbus » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:25 am

LofJ wrote:I can't get excited for any of the high lottery guys other than Edwards, Wiseman, or Hayes. I don't believe in the two-way potential of Ball, Toppin, Avdija, Okongwu, or Okoro.

Vassell and Haliburton further back could be good on both ends as well, but outside of them I'm not a huge fan of the players in our draft range.

In that case, it might make sense to trade away the Charlotte first-round pick for a player and second-round draft picks.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#424 » by UNCNYC » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:50 pm

Hey guys This draft is so deep man. There hasn't been a draft with as much talent
that will go undrafted in recent memory.

this is who I want in ORDER if fell to us

GROUP 1 - EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH
SG - Killian Hayes
SG - Isaiah Joe
SG - Ayo Dosunmu
SF - Leandro Bolmaro
PF - Borisa Simanic

GROUP 2 - HAPPY WITH
SG - Melo Ball
SF - josh green
SG - Ty-Shon Alexander
SF - Elijah Hughes
PG - Devon Dotson
C - Jalen Smith

GROUP 3 - OK WITH
SF - Malcolm Cazalon
SG - Nate Hinton
SG - Tyrell Terry
C - Kaleb Wesson
SF - AJ Lawson
SF - John Petty
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#425 » by UNCNYC » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:59 pm

Just wanted to update the LAST section of my group. I added in a few players and changed around the order.
The first 2 groups are the same.

This list is who I would take in ORDER if they fell to us at our 3 picks.

GROUP 1 - EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH
SG - Killian Hayes
SG - Isaiah Joe
SG - Ayo Dosunmu
SF - Leandro Bolmaro
PF - Borisa Simanic

GROUP 2 - HAPPY WITH
SG - Melo Ball
SF - josh green
SG - Ty-Shon Alexander
SF - Elijah Hughes
PG - Devon Dotson
C - Jalen Smith

GROUP 3 - OK WITH
SF - Malcolm Cazalon
SG - Tyrell Terry
SF - Isaiaha Mike
SG - MaCio Teague
SF - AJ Lawson
PF - Trendon Watford
SF - John Petty

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN - CJ Elleby, Jerimiah Robinson Earl, Lamar Stevens, Saddiq Bey, Nate Hinton.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
And1: 499

Post#426 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:10 am

I think Charlotte might draft Jaden McDaniels (Jalen's brother) at number #8. He has top 3 potential/talent and could be the best player drafted in 2020 looking back in 5 years. He plays both ends of the court and is a multi talented offensive player. As his body fills out and he gets stronger he should be a mix of a Brandon Ingram and Jonathon Isaac type of player. Best case scenario he becomes a KD like player.

UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#427 » by UNCNYC » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:29 am

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:I think Charlotte might draft Jaden McDaniels (Jalen's brother) at number #8. He has top 3 potential/talent and could be the best player drafted in 2020 looking back in 5 years. He plays both ends of the court and is a multi talented offensive player. As his body fills out and he gets stronger he should be a mix of a Brandon Ingram and Jonathon Isaac type of player. Best case scenario he becomes a KD like player.

I am already a HUGE fan of Jalen McDaniels. Jaden is the only player I left off my list that I wouldn't mind at all if we drafted. I would love to see a lineup at times with both Martin twins, Graham and McDaniels brothers on the court.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#428 » by UNCNYC » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 am

I have re-done my list. I am going to put in my TOP five ONLY at each position we draft, and what players I am currently considering with that pick. With a MAX player limit of 10 at that pick listed in combination of TOP 5 players I for that pick and players OUTSIDE LOOKING IN with a max of 10 listed. If you do not see a players name listed I am not considering that player at least not currently for that pick.

This will be my FINAL list at least until play resumes.

This list is in ORDER of who I would take if fell to us.

PICK 1 -
SG - Killian Hayes
SG - Isaiah Joe
SG - Ayo Dosunmu
SF - Leandro Bolmaro
PF - Borisa Simanic

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN = SG-LaMeLo Ball, PF-Jalen McDaniels

PICK 2 -
SF - Josh Green
SG - Ty-Shon Alexander
SF - Elijah Hughes
PG - Devon Dotson
C - Jalen Smith

OUTSIDE LOOKIN IN = Saddiq Bey

PICK 3 -
SF - Malcolm Cazalon
SG - Tyrell Terry
SF - Isaiaha Mike
SG - MaCio Teague
SF - AJ Lawson

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN = PF-Trendon Watford, SF-John Petty, CJ Elleby, PF-Jerimiah Robinson Earl, SF-Lamar Stevens
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
LofJ
RealGM

Post#429 » by LofJ » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:29 pm

I think the Knicks will take Cole Anthony higher than he's being mocked and as a result Killian Hayes will fall to us. He plays the kind of basketball that Borrego wants to play, if he's there I will be shocked if he isn't the pick. He had a Kobe like upbringing too being born in the US, but growing up in France while his Dad played pro basketball.

I think the pick will be him or Halliburton if either of them are still on the board. Which is fine by me because outside of Wiseman and Edwards (and possibly Avdija) I think they're the best bets in the top half of the lottery.

I don't think we're going to use a top 10 pick on a big with a limited skillset like Okongwu. You don't take players like that high in the draft anymore.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
And1: 499

Post#430 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:23 pm

UNCNYC wrote:I have re-done my list. I am going to put in my TOP five ONLY at each position we draft, and what players I am currently considering with that pick. With a MAX player limit of 10 at that pick listed in combination of TOP 5 players I for that pick and players OUTSIDE LOOKING IN with a max of 10 listed. If you do not see a players name listed I am not considering that player at least not currently for that pick.

PICK 1 -
SG - Killian Hayes
SG - Isaiah Joe
SG - Ayo Dosunmu
SF - Leandro Bolmaro
PF - Borisa Simanic

PICK 2 -
SF - Josh Green
SG - Ty-Shon Alexander
SF - Elijah Hughes
PG - Devon Dotson
C - Jalen Smith

PICK 3 -
SF - Malcolm Cazalon
SG - Tyrell Terry
SF - Isaiaha Mike
SG - MaCio Teague
SF - AJ Lawson

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN = PF-Trendon Watford, SF-John Petty, CJ Elleby, PF-Jerimiah Robinson Earl, SF-Lamar Stevens

SG/SF 6'6 CJ Elleby (Washington State Sophomore) is a potential steal for whoever drafts him. NBADraft.net currently has CJ at #37 overall and had him as a late 1st rounder (#26) before that. CJ tested the draft waters last season as well and got feedback from GMs/scouts that his defense needed work so he worked on that aspect of his game. CJ led the Pac-12 in total steals (56) and steals per game (1.8) this past season.

CJ scores well from all three levels. Catch and shoot and off of the dribble. He's an 82% ft shooter. Is able to create for others as well as create for himself. Rebounds well for his size (7.8 rpg). Has shown that he can guard 1-4 effectively. Has a high basketball IQ. He is a clutch player. Plays hard and has a chip on his shoulder after being overlooked by his hometown college (Washington Husky) as a recruit out of HS.

Ex NBA coach/player Earl Watson has recently said that CJ should be a first round pick in this 2020 draft and is his pre draft pick for the steal of this draft. Klay Thompson has spoken in very positive terms concerning CJ's skill level and draft readiness saying that he sees a lot of himself in CJ. Klay is mentoring CJ who goes to the same college as Klay did. If fact CJ's game resembles Klay's game in college. Not saying that CJ will be a Klay Thompson like player in the NBA but their games have a lot of similarities to it.

UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#431 » by UNCNYC » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:10 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:I have re-done my list. I am going to put in my TOP five ONLY at each position we draft, and what players I am currently considering with that pick. With a MAX player limit of 10 at that pick listed in combination of TOP 5 players I for that pick and players OUTSIDE LOOKING IN with a max of 10 listed. If you do not see a players name listed I am not considering that player at least not currently for that pick.

PICK 1 -
SG - Killian Hayes
SG - Isaiah Joe
SG - Ayo Dosunmu
SF - Leandro Bolmaro
PF - Borisa Simanic

PICK 2 -
SF - Josh Green
SG - Ty-Shon Alexander
SF - Elijah Hughes
PG - Devon Dotson
C - Jalen Smith

PICK 3 -
SF - Malcolm Cazalon
SG - Tyrell Terry
SF - Isaiaha Mike
SG - MaCio Teague
SF - AJ Lawson

SG/SF 6'6 CJ Elleby (Washington State Sophomore) is a potential steal for whoever drafts him. NBADraft.net currently has CJ at #37 overall and had him as a late 1st rounder (#26) before that. CJ tested the draft waters last season as well and got feedback from GMs/scouts that his defense needed work so he worked on that aspect of his game. CJ led the Pac-12 in total steals (56) and steals per game (1.8) this past season.

CJ scores well from all three levels. Catch and shoot and off of the dribble. He's an 82% ft shooter. Is able to create for others as well as create for himself. Rebounds well for his size (7.8 rpg). Has shown that he can guard 1-4 effectively. Has a high basketball IQ. He is a clutch player. Plays hard and has a chip on his shoulder after being overlooked by his hometown college (Washington Husky) as a recruit out of HS.

Ex NBA coach/player Earl Watson has recently said that CJ should be a first round pick in this 2020 draft and is his pre draft pick for the steal of this draft. Klay Thompson has spoken in very positive terms concerning CJ's skill level and draft readiness saying that he sees a lot of himself in CJ.Klay is mentoring CJ who goes to the same college as Klay did. If fact CJ's game resembles Klay's game in college. Not saying that CJ will be a Klay Thompson like player in the NBA but their games have a lot of similarities to it.

Yes this draft is sooooooo deep with good solid players. I have had CJ Elleby on my list most of this draft process.

Nothing about him stands out so I tend to lose interest and drop him out but I am a fan and think highly of him.

There are so many in that 35-60 draft spot and beyond to choose from this year imo. I would not be upset if we drafted him late
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#432 » by Diop » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:37 pm

That Afro alone makes me want to draft him
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#433 » by UNCNYC » Fri May 1, 2020 11:16 am

Nothing fancy about this guy but there is something that intriuges me about him. I will more than likely add him in my PICK 3 spot. His name is BOTH GACH. He has a veterans game but with a youthness to it. He has become a favorite of mine

WHO IS HE

HIS HIGHLIGHTS
;t=222s
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#434 » by UNCNYC » Fri May 1, 2020 12:02 pm

I am also getting high on Tyrell Terry even more. This is a new and GREAT video of his talent and what he brings. EXTREEEEEEEEMLY deep draft

He reminds me a Steph Curry

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
LofJ
RealGM

Post#435 » by LofJ » Fri May 1, 2020 4:33 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:This one took a while to put together but finally dropped the full 16 minute Killian Hayes breakdown.

A mention of how good he could be kicking the ball out to PJ Washington at the 2 minute mark. I want this guy in Charlotte. He and Graham would be the best passing backcourt in the league.
bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#436 » by bravor » Fri May 1, 2020 6:54 pm

He is really turnover prone (but he is not the only one with this kind of bad habit). His best asset for me is how versatile he is, and the fact that he has potential on both ends
The funny thing being that i had spoken about him long time ago here, knowing i have always been way higher on him than on Maledon. I hope he wont disappoint like Doumbouya (i really hope he is not Moiso 2.0 for us considering his physical gifts and fundamentals).
The funniest thing would be to see him drafted by the Pistons as Doumbouya & Hayes were the leaders of our golden U18 NT couple years ago.

For this season, i am still puzzled. For next year's draft though, i am really high on Ballo. I hope he will play with the Zags, but he is basically what has been missing for this team since a while. Unless there are other phenomenons around.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#437 » by UNCNYC » Fri May 1, 2020 11:12 pm

I will more than likely do one more WHO I WOULD TAKE LIST soon. Some really good PG's in this years draft.

;t=108s
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#438 » by UNCNYC » Fri May 1, 2020 11:51 pm

I was planning on waiting to do another WHO I WOULD TAKE IF FELL TO US list but I made so many changes overnight on my list.

Tyrell Terry has moved WAY UP on my list. I have also dropped Isaiah Joe and Ayo Dosunmu just a tad. (I really haven't dropped
them I just am considering drafting Bolmaro or McDaniels first and trying to pick up one of Joe, Terry or Dosunmu with PICK #2)

This will be my last list tho because I have researched %95 of the picks so unless someone falls out of nowhere I doubt the need to make adjustments till a couple months.

PICK 1 -
SG - Killian Hayes
SG - Leandro Bolmaro
PF - JaDen McDaniels
SG - Isaiah Joe
SG - Ayo Dosunmu

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN = SG-LaMeLo Ball, PF-Borisa Simanic

PICK 2 -
SG - Tyrell Terry
SF - Josh Green
SG - Ty-Shon Alexander
SF - Saddiq Bey
C - Jalen Smith

OUTSIDE LOOKIN IN = SF-Elijah Huges, PG-Devon Dotson, PG-Malachi Flynn, SG-Immanuel Quickley

PICK 3 -
SG - Both Gach
SF - Malcolm Cazalon
PF - Trendon Watford
PF - Zeke Nnaji
SG - CJ Elleby

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN = SG-John Petty, SF-Isaiah Mike, PF-Jordan Nwora, SG-MaCio Teague, SG-AJ Lawson
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#439 » by _tijo_ » Sat May 2, 2020 2:49 am

I know Hayes is a different person, etc.

But after Diaw and Batum, I just can't see Michael taking a French player. At least not for a while.
Who I woulda took:
2022: Duren | 2021: Bouknight, Jones | 2020: Ball | 2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#440 » by Snidely FC » Sat May 2, 2020 3:05 am

ESPN+ reporting projected revised NBA schedule with Free Agency Aug-Sept; then the draft; preseason not starting till December
Aug. 31, 2020 Starting at 6 p.m. ET, teams and players are permitted to begin free-agent negotiations

Sept. 6, 2020 Starting at noon ET, teams are allowed to sign free agents and conduct trades

The free-agent negotiations that began on Aug. 31 can now be solidified. In addition, trades that were previously agreed upon can now be officially completed under the new fiscal year.

Sept. 8, 2020

The NBA draft

Under this proposed scenario, the draft would shift to after the start of free agency, similar to how the NFL operates, with the lottery occurring in June.

This would not only eliminate the confusion on draft night with agreed-upon trades that cannot be finalized until after the new cap calendar begins -- like the delayed Anthony Davis deal last season -- but it also would lead to teams having better understandings of their rosters when making draft decisions.

As teams try to deal with multiple complications when evaluating prospects during the pandemic, the NBA allowing free agency to happen first could help franchises better prepare. The extra two weeks would give teams more time to potentially bring in draft prospects for individual workouts and in-person interviews.

Return to Charlotte Hornets