Penny Hardaway Compares G League Recruitment Of Prospects To 'Tampering'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Penny Hardaway Compares G League Recruitment Of Prospects To 'Tampering' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 1, 2020 7:01 pm

Penny Hardaway believes the NBA's new use of the G League is detrimental to college basketball as they are actively recruiting prospects who have already committed to schools.

“For me, I didn’t think the G League was built – and I could be wrong – to go and recruit kids that want to go to college out of going to college,” Hardaway said. “I thought they were going to be the organization that was going to be, if you want to go overseas or you absolutely did not want to play college 100 percent, that this would be the best situation for you before you go into the NBA.

“But taking guys out of their commitments (or) they’ve already signed and continuing to talk to their parents, it’s almost like tampering. I really don’t agree with that.”

Jalen Green had committed to Memphis, while Isaiah Todd and Daishen Nix backed out of their commitments to Michigan and UCLA respectively.

Via Jason Munz/Memphis Commercial Appeal

TheGameWinner
Veteran
And1: 1,361

Re: Penny Hardaway Compares G League Recruitment Of Prospects To 'Tampering' 

Post#2 » by TheGameWinner » Fri May 1, 2020 8:48 pm

Penny is the epitome of ethics - good view. he needs to stfu. I'm glad top recruits are going to g-league - are trained and monitored by NBA level staff and will mitigate against any major injuries that could be prevented - and they get to take care of their families without taking major agent loans prior to getting drafted.
DarkoNeedsAfro
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,239

Post#3 » by DarkoNeedsAfro » Fri May 1, 2020 9:57 pm

Penny is clearly just mad he got outbid.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,948

Post#4 » by BigGargamel » Sat May 2, 2020 12:13 am

LOL @ this guy. Get a grip.

A 17 or 18 year old isn’t allowed to change his mind or keep all options open.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#5 » by alienpick » Sat May 2, 2020 2:27 am

The G League is offering paid schooling afterwards, it’s a no brainer. Colleges are businesses, if they can’t handle some fair competition then they need to close down.
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#6 » by njknicks » Sat May 2, 2020 10:51 am

Ironic how basketball icon Penny Hardaway insinuating G league tampering.

NBA has finally awoken & realized that the best way to have the best possible product is by establishing a legitimate alternative to the NCAA -- which they have finally done.

Unless NCAA goes all in & competes with the G League, gone are the days where you will see Kentucky / Duke / UNC acquire the top 10 players in the country.

Ironically also ... would not be surprised to see current top tier NCAA coaches aim for G league coaching in the near future.
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Post#7 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sat May 2, 2020 6:38 pm

Corporate athletics is getting less and less interesting and compelling by the year. Thank goodness for the alternative to these spoiled and entitled athletes. I hope they all go pro so that way the NCAA can be the highest echelon of true competition and sport. Those who play for the love of the game. No load management garbage. No hold outs. No more self aggrandizement.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Return to Wiretap Discussion