ImageImage

Prospect Spotlight -- Tyrese Haliburton

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Is Ty Haliburton worth a lottery selection for our Hawks?

No way we're spending a top-10 pick on another PG
16%
Yes! The defense, shooting & playmaking are a perfect fit
53%
Maybe. Depends on who else is still available
32%

Total votes: 19

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,356

Prospect Spotlight -- Tyrese Haliburton 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 3, 2020 7:10 pm

2020 NBA Draft Big Board

6. Tyrese Haliburton | Iowa State | G

Another great passing guard (esp. in the PnR); 43% shooter from three in college career on 237 attempts (99th percentile spot up shooter), shot 74% at the rim this past season. Very smart and cerebral player on the offensive and defensive end (3.8 STL%), pedestrian FTr (.184), only shot 24% on off-the-dribble jumpers this past season. Potential to reach star level equity is the only thing limiting him from being higher, will be a very good role player likely as a secondary playmaker.
Daily Thunder

Scouting NBA draft lottery prospects: Strengths, comps, intel

7. Tyrese Haliburton | PG | Iowa State | Age: 20.0

Haliburton took advantage of an injury to Iowa's starting point guard to gain valuable experience as a freshman and eventually forced his way onto NBA radar with a strong showing at the FIBA U19 World Cup this past summer where he led USA to a gold medal. His season was cut short in February with a fractured wrist, but not before he emerged as one of the most versatile and efficient college PGs, despite being forced to shoulder a significantly heavier load. -- Schmitz

Projected role: Secondary ball-handling 3-and-D guard

• Has good size for a point guard at 6-5 with a 6-7½ wingspan that should allow him to defend either guard position. Fluid athlete who changes speeds with long strides, polished footwork and smooth body control. Still developing physically.

• Has one of the highest basketball IQs of any player in the draft. Creative passer who empowers teammates with outlet passes and makes the game easy with the tremendous vision in pick-and-roll. Size, length and feel make him a factor on the glass, getting in passing lanes and even blocking shots on occasion.

• Career 43% 3-point shooter and 78% free throw shooter at the college level. Reliable with his feet set despite his unconventional mechanics. Has outstanding touch on floaters.

• Has played off the ball quite a bit in his college career due to his struggles creating offense from in the half court. Can't always beat better defenders off the bounce cleanly. Low release on his pull-up jumper makes it difficult for him to get his shot off at times. Likely will be at his best operating alongside a high-volume shot creator.

• Light frame limits him on both ends. Gets knocked off his path easily and forced to settle for difficult shots from outside the paint. Has a propensity for avoiding contact. Attempted only 71 free throws in 57 games in college.
ESPN Insider
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Prospect Spotlight -- Tyrese Haliburton 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 3, 2020 7:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Tyrese Haliburton | 6-foot-5 | G | Iowa State

It’s no secret Trae Young needs help. The Hawks brought in two wings in the 2019 class, but neither particularly profile as an offensive juggernaut. The ups and downs of Kevin Huerter have created question marks as to if he’s the backcourt mate of the future with Young. Haliburton represents a complementary guard with high IQ and shot-making ability. He fits with what GM Travis Schlenk likes in a backcourt player.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 3, 2020 7:29 pm

2020 NBA Draft Big Board: Latest updates after NCAA regular season

4. Tyrese Haliburton, Iowa State: Guard, 6-foot-5, 20 years old

Haliburton is a skinny, lengthy guard measured with a 7-foot wingspan though and 170-pound frame. But most important is his valuable 3-and-D skill set. Before his injury, his 3-point percentage (41.9%) and steal percentage (3.8%) were both among the best in the NCAA. As a distributor and lead ballhandler, despite an unusually low usage rate, his assist rate still ranks in the top 10 among all underclassmen at high-major programs. Haliburton has been productive enough to suggest he can take over as the starting point guard in the NBA as soon as next season. There may be a low ceiling, but there is also a very high floor.
USA Today

Iowa State sophomore Tyrese Haliburton lacks the flashy handle and athletic burst found in many franchise-changing point guards. But he compensates with his natural feel for the game and a reliable jumper. Haliburton is a genius-level playmaker with a deep understanding of how to manipulate defenders and the ability to deliver the ball with precision.

NBA coaches will love Haliburton because he does all the little things that contribute to winning. He swings the ball, takes the right shots, and makes smart defensive rotations.
The Ringer
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 3, 2020 7:50 pm

Insiders break down Iowa State PG Tyrese Haliburton

Iowa State point guard Tyrese Haliburton has helped himself so far this season as much as anyone else in the pre-draft process. the 6-foot-5 point guard out of Oshkosh, Wisc., had been seen as a likely first-round pick coming into the year, and has only improved his standing from there.

The decision on him has the potential to be something of a push-pull between analytically-inclined front offices versus those that substantially value scouting-based decision-making. On one hand, Haliburton’s numbers are kind of undeniable. He averaged 15.2 points, 5.9 rebounds and 6.5 assists this season while shooting 50.4 percent from the field, 41.9 percent from 3, and 82.2 percent from the foul line.

In general, few draft prospects in recent history top his combination of steal rate, block rate for a guard, rebounding rate, assist rate, and efficiency from both 2-point and 3-point range. It’s not an exaggeration to call Haliburton a statistical anomaly. His feel for the game and passing ability is seen as exceptional, as is his general level of unselfishness.

“Every analytics department in the league is going to love him,” one NBA analytics director told The Athletic. “His stat profile last year was obscene, and it somehow got better.”

However, his ballhandling leaves a lot to be desired...and evaluators still have questions about how his jumper will translate to the next level.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 3, 2020 8:23 pm

Sam Vecenie wrote:Halliburton would be a really interesting third guard early for Phoenix Atlanta* who has potential to grow into a terrific starter next to Devin Booker Trae Young*. He’s has a strong mix of skill, reactiveness to what’s happening around him, and feel for the game. In my opinion, you want Haliburton in something of a Lonzo Ball-type role where he is a secondary creator in the half-court, but a guy who can initiate the offense and run in the full court. Haliburton is a terrific pick-and-roll playmaker and passer, with feel for the game that is off the charts. He always makes the right decision and has posted about a 3-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio in two years at Iowa State. Simply, he’s just one of those guys that makes the right read and does it rapidly.

However, what Haliburton struggles with is creating his own shot. He hit his catch-and-shoot jumpers at a ridiculous 73.9 effective field goal percentage this season and displays tremendous touch in those settings. However, he made his pull-ups at just a 34.2 effective field goal percentage, according to Synergy. His shot mechanics are somewhat funky, and he really needs time to get the shot off. With Booker Young* next to him, he wouldn’t be required to create his shot as often, especially in end-of-clock scenarios. This would be a good outcome all around.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 4, 2020 12:25 am

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#7 » by kg01 » Mon May 4, 2020 12:44 am

This is my pick for us, if we keep the pick.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 4, 2020 12:27 pm

kg01 wrote:This is my pick for us, if we keep the pick.

You're now in favor drafting a PG? After all the grief you gave me last Fall?

:x

Spoiler:
kg01 wrote:*sigh*

ol, jammjamm still scouting potential Trae replacements. :roll:

kg01 wrote:I do find it odd that you're always scouting point guards....I expect us to lean away from drafting that position, all things being equal. That's all.
Sept 2019
kg01
General Manager

Post#9 » by kg01 » Mon May 4, 2020 12:54 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:This is my pick for us, if we keep the pick.

You're now in favor drafting a PG? After all the grief you gave me last Fall?

:x

Spoiler:
kg01 wrote:*sigh*

ol, jammjamm still scouting potential Trae replacements. :roll:

kg01 wrote:I do find it odd that you're always scouting point guards....I expect us to lean away from drafting that position, all things being equal. That's all.
Sept 2019

There's a yuge difference here, jammjamm. Yuge.

Haliburton isn't a starting point guard and isn't a player that needs the ball to be effective. He'd fit the role we'd have for him as someone to guard opposing pg's, act as a facilitator, and lead the second unit when Trae sits. STTE

On the other hand, you were scouting guards who'd be useless to us as backups and guys that likely couldn't play with Trae effectively. As my previous posts suggest, you were scouting Trae replacements.

Yuge difference. Yuge.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 4, 2020 1:01 pm

kg01 wrote:There's a yuge difference here, jammjamm. Yuge.

Yuge difference. Yuge.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 4, 2020 1:14 pm

kg01 wrote:Haliburton isn't a starting point guard and isn't a player that needs the ball to be effective. He'd fit the role we'd have for him as someone to guard opposing pg's, act as a facilitator, and lead the second unit when Trae sits. STTE

In all seriousness. If we're drafting for need in this draft -- Haliburton and Vassell fit perfectly for what we want and need on this squad.

If I was just starting a rebuild, I'd likely try to pair those two in a backcourt together.

TYRESE HALIBURTON
Guard, Iowa State, sophomore

Genius playmaker who can be a major building block of a contending team.
Shades Of: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Sam Cassell

Age------------------------20.1
Wingspan-----------------7'0''
Height---------------------6'5''
Weight--------------------175

PLUSES
  • Always in control; he lacks lightning speed or explosiveness, but he uses subtle gear changes to throw defenders off balance, create room, and then strike.
  • Takes long strides on drives to the rim and displays good timing when gathering his dribble before using his length to score at the rim.
  • Creative playmaker with extraordinary vision and ambidextrous handles to deliver passes at all angles; he manipulates defenders with his eyes and dribble in the pick-and-roll, and has pinpoint accuracy on passes to rollers and shooters.
  • Good spot-up shooter with deep NBA range, despite his odd form.
  • A coach’s dream: He does all the little things on the court, from smart, timely defensive rotations to making rapid decisions to keep the offense flowing.

MINUSES
  • Lack of athleticism and burst limits his upside as a primary shot creator.
  • Generally avoids contact at the rim, which forces him to settle for tough layups or low-percentage floaters.
  • Made progress off the dribble as a sophomore, but still didn’t shoot well, and his stiff form raises concern.
  • Man-to-man defense: He stands in too much of an upright stance and moves laterally on his heels. Also takes poor angles fighting around screens.
The Ringer
kg01
General Manager

Post#12 » by kg01 » Mon May 4, 2020 1:46 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:Haliburton isn't a starting point guard and isn't a player that needs the ball to be effective. He'd fit the role we'd have for him as someone to guard opposing pg's, act as a facilitator, and lead the second unit when Trae sits. STTE

In all seriousness. If we're drafting for need in this draft -- Haliburton and Vassell fit perfectly for what we want and need on this squad.

If I was just starting a rebuild, I'd likely try to pair those two in a backcourt together.

TYRESE HALIBURTON
Guard, Iowa State, sophomore

Genius playmaker who can be a major building block of a contending team.
Shades Of: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Sam Cassell

Age------------------------20.1
Wingspan-----------------7'0''
Height---------------------6'5''
Weight--------------------175

PLUSES
  • Always in control; he lacks lightning speed or explosiveness, but he uses subtle gear changes to throw defenders off balance, create room, and then strike.
  • Takes long strides on drives to the rim and displays good timing when gathering his dribble before using his length to score at the rim.
  • Creative playmaker with extraordinary vision and ambidextrous handles to deliver passes at all angles; he manipulates defenders with his eyes and dribble in the pick-and-roll, and has pinpoint accuracy on passes to rollers and shooters.
  • Good spot-up shooter with deep NBA range, despite his odd form.
  • A coach’s dream: He does all the little things on the court, from smart, timely defensive rotations to making rapid decisions to keep the offense flowing.

MINUSES
  • Lack of athleticism and burst limits his upside as a primary shot creator.
  • Generally avoids contact at the rim, which forces him to settle for tough layups or low-percentage floaters.
  • Made progress off the dribble as a sophomore, but still didn’t shoot well, and his stiff form raises concern.
  • Man-to-man defense: He stands in too much of an upright stance and moves laterally on his heels. Also takes poor angles fighting around screens.
The Ringer

Now I'll always see you as the wicked stepmother of the site. Congrats?

Seriously though, I do think Hali fits what we need as does Hayes. Is Vassell a lotto target though? I don't think we have a pick in his range.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 4, 2020 4:19 pm

kg01 wrote:Now I'll always see you as the wicked stepmother of the site. Congrats?

That sounds about right...and I'm sure you already know how I view you around this piece.

Spoiler:

OH snap!!!!

:falloff:

kg01 wrote:Is Vassell a lotto target though? I don't think we have a pick in his range.

Vassell's expected to go in late lotto range...9-14.

I view him as a worthy successor to Klay Thompson. A catch and shoot threat from deep who can play elite team defense. He's a better shooter than Cam and a muuuuch better defender than Huerter.

Plus, 3 & D wings are valuable trade currency in the current NBA.

Seriously, look at this shooting chart.

Spoiler:
Sam Vecenie wrote:He has a plus-four wingspan, and is an exceedingly good defender both on and off ball. His athleticism is good, not great, but he gets by with a lot of quickness. He fits from a personal standpoint, as the intel on him has come back very positive in regard to being a great teammate and locker room guy. But the big thing he brings is shooting. As you brought up, Vassell is a really high-level shooter. He hit 41.5 percent of his 3s in 2019-20, and his shot chart (per Synergy Sports) is essentially just a burning flame of fire.
The Athletic

shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#14 » by shakes0 » Mon May 4, 2020 6:39 pm

I'll be very disappointed if we come out of this draft taking a back up PG in the lottery.
kg01
General Manager

Post#15 » by kg01 » Mon May 4, 2020 7:24 pm

shakes0 wrote:I'll be very disappointed if we come out of this draft taking a back up PG in the lottery.

I get that. On paper, it seems very anti-climactic.

But we're no longer in the lotto looking for a home run. In this draft, there aren't any. So we need to be looking to team-build. That means this pick is gonna be a boring one but one that'll help us trend toward winning.

My true hope is that we parlay this pick into actual help via trade but I've said that ad nauseum so I'm sure folks are tired of hearing it. :)

I mean, seriously, if IND makes Oladipo available since their contract talks are stalling ....
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by shakes0 » Mon May 4, 2020 7:50 pm

kg01 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:I'll be very disappointed if we come out of this draft taking a back up PG in the lottery.

But we're no longer in the lotto looking for a home run. In this draft, there aren't any. So we need to be looking to team-build. That means this pick is gonna be a boring one but one that'll help us trend toward winning.

My true hope is that we parlay this pick into actual help via trade but I've said that ad nauseum so I'm sure folks are tired of hearing it. :)

I mean, seriously, if IND makes Oladipo available since their contract talks are stalling ....

I get that, but I'm more concerned about the chemistry in bringing in a lottery point guard. No one getting picked in the lottery wants to sign up for being a back up to a 10 year superstar. I think bringing in a guy like that is a recipe for disaster.

I'd rather bring in a guy like Obi Toppin or another wing player or take a flyer on Weisman and then find our back up PG in free agency or trade.
kg01
General Manager

Post#17 » by kg01 » Mon May 4, 2020 8:06 pm

shakes0 wrote:
kg01 wrote:

I get that, but I'm more concerned about the chemistry in bringing in a lottery point guard. No one getting picked in the lottery wants to sign up for being a back up to a 10 year superstar. I think bringing in a guy like that is a recipe for disaster.

I'd rather bring in a guy like Obi Toppin or another wing player or take a flyer on Weisman and then find our back up PG in free agency or trade.

Ah, I hear you. I absolutely have that concern with Ball. Less so with Haliburton and Hayes who both seem (keyword "seem") like team players.

Also kinda illustrates one reason why I want us to trade out. There's nobody good enough to be a lock starter but, as lotto picks, all could walk in the door with the attitude of one.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by shakes0 » Mon May 4, 2020 8:31 pm

kg01 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Ah, I hear you. I absolutely have that concern with Ball. Less so with Haliburton and Hayes who both seem (keyword "seem") like team players.

Also kinda illustrates one reason why I want us to trade out. There's nobody good enough to be a lock starter but, as lotto picks, all could walk in the door with the attitude of one.

totally agree. Hayes and Haliburton would be seem to be less of a concern in that regard than Ball, but we really have no idea if that's true or not. I gotta believe, team player or not, no one wants to start their career on a team where a young superstar plays your position. for me, this is more of a concern with lead guards and centers as opposed to wing players who are more interchangeable.

I think a guy like Toppin would probably be the best fit of any player in the draft. He'd come right in and be a productive player at a position where we definitely need more depth. And coming from Dayton and being a zero star recruit out of high school, I doubt he has a problem coming to a team where he has to earn his place.
kg01
General Manager

Post#19 » by kg01 » Mon May 4, 2020 9:13 pm

shakes0 wrote:
kg01 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

totally agree. Hayes and Haliburton would be seem to be less of a concern in that regard than Ball, but we really have no idea if that's true or not. I gotta believe, team player or not, no one wants to start their career on a team where a young superstar plays your position. for me, this is more of a concern with lead guards and centers as opposed to wing players who are more interchangeable.

I think a guy like Toppin would probably be the best fit of any player in the draft. He'd come right in and be a productive player at a position where we definitely need more depth. And coming from Dayton and being a zero star recruit out of high school, I doubt he has a problem coming to a team where he has to earn his place.

I like Toppin, in general, too.

I think I have the same issue with him that you have on the guards though. He seems like a Collins-lite and he'd come here as a sure backup. Basically college POY ... to a backup? I guess that could sit well with him but I can imagine that also being a tough pill to swallow.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by shakes0 » Mon May 4, 2020 10:38 pm

kg01 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
kg01 wrote:

I like Toppin, in general, too.

I think I have the same issue with him that you have on the guards though. He seems like a Collins-lite and he'd come here as a sure backup. Basically college POY ... to a backup? I guess that could sit well with him but I can imagine that also being a tough pill to swallow.

It's different for a lead guard though. They have to have the ball in their hands and they want to run the offense. Only room for one person on the floor at a time with that job description and we already have a super star.

Toppin is a 4, but doesn't need the ball in his hand like a lead guard. he just needs minutes. There's more minutes for him since he can back up Collins or play next to Collins when we go small. can also play the 3 and play next to Collins/Capella. So lots more options for a guy like that as opposed to a guy who is used to initiating the offense.

As far as college POY accepting being a backup, it happens more times than you think. Jalen Brunson, Frank Mason, Buddy Hield, Frank Kaminsky, Doug McDermot. In fact, Zion is the only one to not come off the bench in the past 7 years.

I think Toppin has "team player" written all over him just from his humble ascensions.

Return to Atlanta Hawks