ImageImageImage

Where to spend our MLE?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 552

Where to spend our MLE? 

Post#1 » by aguiar95 » Fri May 1, 2020 1:12 pm

Pretty simple, on who should we spend our standart MLE (Hoopshype has projected it to go up to 42M/4y next season)?

My list of OBTAINABLE guys goes in this order (doesn't need to spend the whole MLE):

- J. Holiday (IND);
- J. Jackson (MEM);
- D. Saric (PHO);
- C. Boucher (TOR);
- J. Hernangomez (MIN);
- D. Jones Jr. (MIA);
- D. Valentine (CHI);
- M. Harkless (NYK).

Do you have anyone else in mind? Since most teams will have this, we have to be quick to get our guy for next season.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Re: Where to spend our MLE? 

Post#2 » by dirkforpres » Fri May 1, 2020 3:05 pm

Derrick Jones is the best player on that list and I think he gets more than the MLE.

Saric probably fits the mold for this team the best, but I’m not really the biggest fan of his.

Josh Jackson would be pretty fun if he kept it together for a year.
FIRE JASON KIDD
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#3 » by arkuo » Fri May 1, 2020 5:20 pm

I'd like for us to pitch for Derrick Jones Jr. Raise the price and see if Riley bites. I know Bam Adebayo is waiting for his max in a year. Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn will all get new contracts the same time as Adebayo. And if Miami still wants a max slot for Giannis, then Riley cant afford all those big contracts left and right. We'll see if anyone wants to play chicken.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#4 » by Michaellam1987 » Sat May 2, 2020 3:36 am

Josh Jackson is a very interesting target that IMO won’t cost us the whole MLE
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#5 » by Pointguard01 » Sun May 3, 2020 12:17 pm

Unless you are signing anyone to a 1-year deal, dont use it.

This team's issue is not depth. We have 4-5 guys who are great 5th-7th guys on a team. We need to increase our talent on the top half of the roster. That can't be found for the MLE. Plus, signing someone for more than 1-year hurts our ability to go after a free agent in 2021, where we can find that 3rd option.

I would stand pat, let this team grow and play the trade market to collect assets as needed.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#6 » by arkuo » Sun May 3, 2020 12:25 pm

Hold on to the MLE. Oladipo might just hit the trade market.
Michaellam1987
Rookie

Post#7 » by Michaellam1987 » Mon May 4, 2020 2:21 pm

arkuo wrote:Hold on to the MLE. Oladipo might just hit the trade market.

Oladipo is perfect fit in DAL, but really difficult to find a feasible trade that can work with IND
arkuo
General Manager

Post#8 » by arkuo » Mon May 4, 2020 2:32 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:
arkuo wrote:Hold on to the MLE. Oladipo might just hit the trade market.

Oladipo is perfect fit in DAL, but really difficult to find a feasible trade that can work with IND

This is true. Miami can give them more pieces like Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn along with say, Kelly Olynyk.

But that would mean that trade him within the East as well.

Hope they go the New York Knick route and send him out west like Porzingis.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#9 » by Darren » Mon May 4, 2020 2:39 pm

Not to spend. Unload Powell, Wright, Jackson for pure cap space. Just focus on Max player.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#10 » by HairyGOATee » Mon May 4, 2020 3:24 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:Unless you are signing anyone to a 1-year deal, dont use it.

This team's issue is not depth. We have 4-5 guys who are great 5th-7th guys on a team. We need to increase our talent on the top half of the roster. That can't be found for the MLE. Plus, signing someone for more than 1-year hurts our ability to go after a free agent in 2021, where we can find that 3rd option.

I would stand pat, let this team grow and play the trade market to collect assets as needed.

Ionno about standing pat, but a 1 year deal may work for someone like Dragic, who really wants to play with Luka in the NBA.
Maybe it'd work for Josh Jackson too.

Alternatively, maybe they can get a guy like Crowder, and then swing a trade for a guy like Beal. Then they'd have Luka, Beal, Crowder, KP with what I would assume is a thin bench, but that's where the MLE in 2021 comes into play. And maybe that's where vet min deals, the team's draft picks this year, and unproven talent on waivers can come into play.

Maybe whoever they sign for the MLE can be used in a trade too.

Personally, I'd use the MLE and try to make a trade. The Mavs would have enough assets to swing a trade, I'm sure.

THJ
Seth
Kleber
DFS
Brunson
Wright
Powell
MLE
First Round Pick This Year
2nd Round Pick This Year
$5+ million cash
First round pick in 2027
Pick swaps in 2022, 24, 26
Other 2nd round picks throughout the next 7 years

I gotta believe there's some sort of combination the Mavs can offer a team for a 2nd playmaker.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#11 » by Pointguard01 » Tue May 5, 2020 12:26 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:Unless you are signing anyone to a 1-year deal, dont use it.

Ionno about standing pat, but a 1 year deal may work for someone like Dragic, who really wants to play with Luka in the NBA.
Maybe it'd work for Josh Jackson too.

Alternatively, maybe they can get a guy like Crowder, and then swing a trade for a guy like Beal. Then they'd have Luka, Beal, Crowder, KP with what I would assume is a thin bench, but that's where the MLE in 2021 comes into play. And maybe that's where vet min deals, the team's draft picks this year, and unproven talent on waivers can come into play.

Maybe whoever they sign for the MLE can be used in a trade too.

Personally, I'd use the MLE and try to make a trade. The Mavs would have enough assets to swing a trade, I'm sure.

THJ
Seth
Kleber
DFS
Brunson
Wright
Powell
MLE
First Round Pick This Year
2nd Round Pick This Year
$5+ million cash
First round pick in 2027
Pick swaps in 2022, 24, 26
Other 2nd round picks throughout the next 7 years

I gotta believe there's some sort of combination the Mavs can offer a team for a 2nd playmaker.

I agree about consolidating assets to upgrade, but if that's not possible, I dont see a single player for the MLE that upgrades this team enough to sacrifice cap space in 2021. There are too many good free agents and fits for this team to do that on a Crowder-level player.

Also, Dallas does not have the ability to get an top 30 player like Beal. Dallas would have to be looking at the 3rd tier players, combining all our assets. If you want a top 30 player, it will only come by trading Luka/KP or by waiting until 2021 offseason. And we lose that flexibility if we sign someone to $9-million.

Now, if you can upgrade the our #3 Best Player spot via trade assets during the draft (or early in free agency), then I would 1000% support using the MLE on a player like Jae Crowder.
Michaellam1987
Rookie

Post#12 » by Michaellam1987 » Tue May 5, 2020 1:15 am

I think we should think this way, if we have good chance to sign player using our MLE, don’t hesitate to sign, as it will eventually become a positive value asset and IMO won’t affect our 2021 offseason plan
Darren
RealGM

Post#13 » by Darren » Wed May 6, 2020 3:17 pm

DJ Augustin for 2-3M per deal and move Brunson to trade up for Aaron Nesmith works for me. But this doesn't take mle anyway. I'd try to find someone like Chieck Diallo who can roll to the basket and shoot a bit from long range and trade to move Powell and Wright for TE. Technically, the Mavs can spend 25M in 2021. But Is 25M technically enough for Giannis? I don't think so. Consider how much kawhi leonard get.
Michaellam1987
Rookie

Post#14 » by Michaellam1987 » Wed May 6, 2020 4:26 pm

Darren wrote:DJ Augustin for 2-3M per deal and move Brunson to trade up for Aaron Nesmith works for me. But this doesn't take mle anyway. I'd try to find someone like Chieck Diallo who can roll to the basket and shoot a bit from long range and trade to move Powell and Wright for TE. Technically, the Mavs can spend 25M in 2021. But Is 25M technically enough for Giannis? I don't think so. Consider how much kawhi leonard get.

25M is definitely not enough, but DAL can easily find teams to take on Seth/Maxi/DFS, and clear sufficient cap space to sign Giannis
Darren
RealGM

Post#15 » by Darren » Mon May 25, 2020 3:33 pm

1-year quick fix, e.g. Marcus Morris or Wilson Chandler, is possible. For multiple year contract, it'd better be young shooter or 3D player.
Rn5ho
Junior
And1: 376

Post#16 » by Rn5ho » Mon May 25, 2020 4:25 pm

Can't believe people are still thinking Giannis.. it's like making future plans based on 0.00001% chance of winning lottery. It's not happening and while that would probably make Dallas the best team of all time 2-3 years down the road, that's not the type of personality Giannis is - he's a competitor and as long as MIL is showing intent to build around him with decent players, he'll stay put. He doesn't care about spotlight of LA/NY/MIA etc. - he cares about his family and if MIL brings his brothers (they already have one), he will probably retire there (unless they are not competitve for the tile over the next contract.

Just start planning/theory crafting around some realistic targets, not Giannis lol :)
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#17 » by Mike lorenzo » Wed May 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Marcus Morris seems like a good fit and we're already chasing him, .... I wonder what LAC thought about him, I think they have their position well covered and want to spend the money elsewhere (Harrell?) Or a big one. MLE and maybe a multi-year agreement if we want you to choose us ... would you do it ... would you love to play for Dallas? ...
1+1=11
Michaellam1987
Rookie

Post#18 » by Michaellam1987 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:04 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:Marcus Morris seems like a good fit and we're already chasing him, .... I wonder what LAC thought about him, I think they have their position well covered and want to spend the money elsewhere (Harrell?) Or a big one. MLE and maybe a multi-year agreement if we want you to choose us ... would you do it ... would you love to play for Dallas? ...

I don’t think Morris will be willing to settle for MLE, he will likely have better offer from another team.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#19 » by JamesConway » Wed May 27, 2020 6:08 pm

Might have posted it already in a different thread but count me in as one of the members of team Saric. I think he'd be a great fit here. Not sure if it makes more sense to have him come off the bench or not. He'd be a terrific help in our secondary lineups with his playmaking + shooting skills but OTOH a Luka - KP - Saric trio would be exciting as well. So much size, skill and versatility would be special. And age-wise he could stick around for a long time.

I hope we draft two guys in the SG/SF/combo forward area on draft night. I doubt we'll find our luck in FA. The good wings all cost more than the MLE I'd bet. None of Bazemore (kinda short at 6'4), Harkless (awful shooter), Marcus Morris (should get either more money from a caproom team or get MLE-offers from better contenders), etc. really intrigue me.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#20 » by dirkforpres » Wed May 27, 2020 11:48 pm

Harry Giles, anyone?
FIRE JASON KIDD

Return to Dallas Mavericks