ImageImageImage

Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:48 pm

Hey All!

I don't share links to things I write outside of RealGM all that often, but I wanted to share this:

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-walt-disney-world-would-be-the-ideal-spot-for-the-nba-to-salvage-its-season-142557713.html

I shared on the GB too, but I know a lot of you don't go there. Or you're straight up banned! :lol:

If the NBA season is saved by playing at a single-site, Walt Disney World is the logical choice. Read on for why!

Hope you are all well and staying safe!

Smitty
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#2 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:06 pm

Great idea Smitty. There would also be less temptation for the players to head out compared to Las Vegas, where it is always easy to find trouble.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#3 » by captain green » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:31 pm

Anything to get this going. just make sure that Celtics are far away from the lakers. And Philly has to share a closet in goofy's room.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,281

Post#4 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:02 am

Smitty is a god.
Read on Twitter
celtics792244
Rookie
And1: 794

Post#5 » by celtics792244 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:02 pm

Oh Mickey, your so fine, your so fine it blows my mind, oh Mickey...
Great idea, no better way than to get new fans on board in a time that there is no alternative.
The negative... how many 'super, duper' teams will we have in future seasons... as all these guys will be surely become pals. Will we only have 1 or 2 teams that matter in years to come?
That is what made this season so much fun...6 to 7 teams that had a legit shot of winning it all.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,631

Post#6 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 4, 2020 4:10 pm

Smitty731 wrote:Hey All!

I don't share links to things I write outside of RealGM all that often, but I wanted to share this:

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-walt-disney-world-would-be-the-ideal-spot-for-the-nba-to-salvage-its-season-142557713.html

I shared on the GB too, but I know a lot of you don't go there. Or you're straight up banned! :lol:

If the NBA season is saved by playing at a single-site, Walt Disney World is the logical choice. Read on for why!

Smitty

So how did this story start? Did you come up with it on your own, getting help from Disney on the facts as needed? Or did they pitch to you (with you being the obvious choice due to your history with them, among other reasons)?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#7 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon May 4, 2020 4:24 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:

Smitty

So how did this story start? Did you come up with it on your own, getting help from Disney on the facts as needed? Or did they pitch to you (with you being the obvious choice due to your history with them, among other reasons)?

I think Smitty came up with it on his own, since he knows the Disney facilities, as well as his knowledge of what would be required for the NBA to start up again during the pandemic.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Smitty731 » Mon May 4, 2020 5:46 pm

Smitty

Totally mine. I did fact check a few things, since it had been a bit since I had worked any events at EWWS. (Self-congratulation: I was correct on all of what I needed to fact check!).

From there, I pitched the idea to a couple of outlets that I freelance with and Yahoo bought it.

The same day the article posted, 4/16, I heard from some people with Disney and some people from the NBA (teams, players and the league itself). All were nice and supportive. The message from the NBA itself was "Thank you for a thoughtful and thorough idea."

When Shams broke his report that the NBA was seriously considering the idea, it blew up all over again. This time around, it was in a much bigger way. I heard from even more people this time around. All have again been very supportive, with a handful asking supporting questions.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured it would be good to put a little context to the idea's formation and what happened since. But the entire thing was all me. After nearly 20 years of work at Walt Disney World, I have a pretty good idea of how things work.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#9 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 4, 2020 6:27 pm

Smitty731 wrote:

Smitty

Totally mine. I did fact check a few things, since it had been a bit since I had worked any events at EWWS. (Self-congratulation: I was correct on all of what I needed to fact check!).

From there, I pitched the idea to a couple of outlets that I freelance with and Yahoo bought it.

The same day the article posted, 4/16, I heard from some people with Disney and some people from the NBA (teams, players and the league itself). All were nice and supportive. The message from the NBA itself was "Thank you for a thoughtful and thorough idea."

When Shams broke his report that the NBA was seriously considering the idea, it blew up all over again. This time around, it was in a much bigger way. I heard from even more people this time around. All have again been very supportive, with a handful asking supporting questions.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured it would be good to put a little context to the idea's formation and what happened since. But the entire thing was all me. After nearly 20 years of work at Walt Disney World, I have a pretty good idea of how things work.

In that case, VERY well done!! Indeed, awesomely well done.

There really is no limit to the kinds of opportunities that can emerge if one gets a reputation for writing smart and interesting stuff.

One thing I'd advise you to do if it's at all practical -- write a followup refreshing the analysis, even if there's no news hook for it. E.g., I'm sure Disney agrees exactly with some of your educated guesses and would guide you to slightly revising others. Ditto "league sources".
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,817

Post#10 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 4, 2020 6:49 pm

Smitty731 wrote:

Smitty

Great insight, Smitty.
Keep up the Good Work.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Smitty731 » Mon May 4, 2020 6:55 pm

Smitty731 wrote:

In that case, VERY well done!! Indeed, awesomely well done.

There really is no limit to the kinds of opportunities that can emerge if one gets a reputation for writing smart and interesting stuff.

One thing I'd advise you to do if it's at all practical -- write a followup refreshing the analysis, even if there's no news hook for it. E.g., I'm sure Disney agrees exactly with some of your educated guesses and would guide you to slightly revising others. Ditto "league sources".

In the works. We're holding to hopefully get a few more details, but looking like it will probably run without those. The NBA is very much taking their time, as they should.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#12 » by 24istheLAW » Wed May 20, 2020 6:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Bump. Looks like this could actually come to pass.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,589

Post#13 » by The Corey's » Wed May 20, 2020 10:56 pm

Pretty sad, Shams a former Yahoo employee cant throw Smitty the bone he earned.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#14 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Thu May 21, 2020 12:47 pm

I am guessing that if this goes through the playoffs start in July (with a worse case scenario match up for the Celtics) ends before labor day and the new norm for the NBA is December-August.
*Insert witty signature here.*
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#15 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat May 23, 2020 6:07 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#16 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun May 24, 2020 4:55 am

The Corey's wrote:Pretty sad, Shams a former Yahoo employee cant throw Smitty the bone he earned.

I agree, but that kind of thing doesn't happen much unless there's a very clear pattern, like there is for scoops.

It's generally the people in the industr(ies) being covered who reward your prescience, or else you don't get rewarded at all.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#17 » by ParticleMan » Sun May 24, 2020 4:38 pm

Haha, Smitty FTW!!

It makes a lot of sense. Probably our best hope for finishing the season.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#18 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon May 25, 2020 5:30 pm

Read on Twitter
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#19 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed May 27, 2020 7:35 pm

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,817

Post#20 » by Parliament10 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:26 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Early August???
Wow. A 5-month gap in play. -- That's something.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics