Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 830

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#41 » by Teffer10 » Sun May 3, 2020 3:43 pm

ejs78 wrote:Tankathon has Mavs taking Nesmith
http://www.tankathon.com/players/aaron-nesmith

Also as far as Wood goes I live in Detroit and while he has improved he still makes alot of mental errors. For me it always hard to gauge how good a player is who is putting up good numbers on a bad team.

Beasley would be another guy we should consider and a decent fit.

As far as Nesmith, that is a guy I don't see the Mavs passing on unless Vassell is still on the board.
I still think they'll trade their pick to either move up to get Vassell or include it in a trade for a starter quality vet.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#42 » by Pointguard01 » Sun May 3, 2020 3:50 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
LOVE this. He could be an ideal #3 guy and had at a price where we could keep also resign Hardaway. Almost an ideal signing in 2021. Would assume this year's 3-pt shooting is a result of Philly's lack of spacing and not what he was in Miami.

Richardson is the guy I've been clamoring for all year because he seems to be the perfect missing piece and is still young.
Luka/Richardson/THJ/DFS/KP would be pretty awesome and Kleber can always alter with DFS for teams with bigger PFs.

What would it take to get him though?

Would Seth/Jackson/#18/#31 be enough to entice Philly?

Honestly I haven’t thought about him. But he’s up there behind Kris Middleton as an ideal [and somewhat attainable] #3 option behind Luka/KP.

I don’t think we could get him via trade though. Seth, THJ and Kleber could all fit on the 76ers as really good roles players but I don’t know that they go for it. I feel they would devalue the picks (win now mode), despite their need for more depth/role players bc they are too heavy.

Either a 3-way trade where the picks go to someone rebuilding for another quality role player to Philly or we wait until 2021 offseason.
Don7
Senior
And1: 820

Post#43 » by Don7 » Sun May 3, 2020 6:08 pm

To jump on Richardson bandwagon , he's Bill Duffy guy and he worked out with Luka few summers,even before he got to NBA and it would appear that they got a good relationship.Not saying that Luka will ran LeBron/Rich Paul scheme but it can't hurt(also Dallas native and one of the favorites of the board,Myles Turner switch to BDA few months ago).Probably need to wait for 2021.

Also i am sucker for reclamation projects like Ntilikina or Dunn,high draft picks that didn't pan out and you could get them cheap.That Beverly like pitbull on defense that can bring the ball up and is low usuge dude.Of course Pat is 38% from three and is making 13 mil. per year because of that,but i watch Dorian and think how much he improved over the years that i believe Dallas coaches and especially Frank has a room to grow in that department(and maybe Euro like atmosphere would helped him more than that Nicks situation).But this like Harry Giles and few others our deep cuts and low risk/high reward proposition.

But yeah , lets monitor J-Rich situation and let's get Jaden McDaniels(more likely that they trade picks -.-)
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#44 » by arkuo » Sun May 3, 2020 7:41 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
LOVE this. He could be an ideal #3 guy and had at a price where we could keep also resign Hardaway. Almost an ideal signing in 2021. Would assume this year's 3-pt shooting is a result of Philly's lack of spacing and not what he was in Miami.

Richardson is the guy I've been clamoring for all year because he seems to be the perfect missing piece and is still young.
Luka/Richardson/THJ/DFS/KP would be pretty awesome and Kleber can always alter with DFS for teams with bigger PFs.

What would it take to get him though?

Would Seth/Jackson/#18/#31 be enough to entice Philly?

Ideally you sign him outright in 2021 when he exercises his PO. Philly is capped out with the genius move of signing Horford, Embiid, Tobias Harris and now Ben Simmons all to maxes. Now they will not have room to sign Josh Richardson. Dallas swoops in nicely.

Also Rick Carlisle > Brett Brown.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Post#45 » by DBoys » Mon May 4, 2020 4:58 am

Josh Richardson? Other than the fact that he plays on another team, and has gotten attention, he's not really anything special. If you traded Wright for him, you'd want an un-do on that idea after about 5 games. I think DW's already more desirable than Richardson and he'll be way better after another year in Carlisle's laboratory as they keep working on skills and fit.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#46 » by arkuo » Mon May 4, 2020 8:20 am

DBoys wrote:Josh Richardson? Other than the fact that he plays on another team, and has gotten attention, he's not really anything special. If you traded Wright for him, you'd want an un-do on that idea after about 5 games. I think DW's already more desirable than Richardson and he'll be way better after another year in Carlisle's laboratory as they keep working on skills and fit.

Wright is good but we need taller defenders to compete in the west. Lebron, Kawhi, PG. We only have DFS and his 5 fouls. Wright is too skinny and will get pushed around easily.

Either way, you have to come to terms that Wright was Plan C at best. there is a reason that Cuban chased down Danny Green twice.
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#47 » by deb » Mon May 4, 2020 2:29 pm

arkuo wrote:
DBoys wrote:Josh Richardson? Other than the fact that he plays on another team, and has gotten attention, he's not really anything special. If you traded Wright for him, you'd want an un-do on that idea after about 5 games. I think DW's already more desirable than Richardson and he'll be way better after another year in Carlisle's laboratory as they keep working on skills and fit.

Wright is good but we need taller defenders to compete in the west. Lebron, Kawhi, PG. We only have DFS and his 5 fouls. Wright is too skinny and will get pushed around easily.

Either way, you have to come to terms that Wright was Plan C at best. there is a reason that Cuban chased down Danny Green twice.

Richardson is barely bigger than Wright and would struggle against bigger wings. He's a worse slasher and point guard than Wright. He's a much better shooter and off the ball player than Wright though, so he'd be a much better fit next to Doncic in the starting lineup. As far as secondary ball handlers/off ball scorers/defenders go, he's just one step lower than a bonafide star, not significantly worse than say Brogdon. He could match THJ's offensive production while being more consistent and quite a bit better defensively.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 340

Post#48 » by Michaellam1987 » Mon May 4, 2020 2:30 pm

I think Josh Richardson has similar height and body size when compared to THJ? He is really able to defense bigger forward like LeBron/Leonard/George etc.?
arkuo
General Manager

Post#49 » by arkuo » Mon May 4, 2020 2:37 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:I think Josh Richardson has similar height and body size when compared to THJ? He is really able to defense bigger forward like LeBron/Leonard/George etc.?

Pat RIley had him and Justise Winslow guard the opposing wings for a time. I'd like to judge J-Rich based on his time in Miami as he was in a more suitable environment. the spacing and coaching in Philly is just bad. Especially with the drama between Embiid and Simmons.

I think his skillset is what's most coveted if you have a player like Luka or Lebron running point. You really need shooters who can move well without the ball. Plus play above average D on the other end. Those types of players are what you need if you plan to succeed with Luka. We can't have another alpha star coming in wanting to get 25 shot attempts while playing behind Luka and KP.

When Lebron and Kyrie played together, Kevin Love's numbers took a dive. Essentially that 3rd "star" coming in has to be conscious of the sacrifice he is willing to make.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#50 » by HairyGOATee » Mon May 4, 2020 3:12 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:After wrestling with this a bit, I'm back to thinking Harkless or Crowder are the ideal targets this offseason. For the $9+ million MLE of course.

WHAT! This would be tragic if we signed Harkless. He's a 32% 3-point shooter that cannot create his own shot and doesn't roll to the rim. He's essentially DFS but will cost much more and we already have that role filled in the starting lineup. Off the bench, Kleber fills his role. No need. Crowder is similar in that he's best as a small ball 4 and I don't see the fit unless you think Hardaway can be our #3 guy.

I think Crowder can play some 3 for sure.

Luka
THJ
Crowder
Kleber/DFS
KP

And if you take a look at Harkless' 3 point shooting, he tends to do well every other year or so, but he also seems to be dependent on the situation. Playing with Luka and KP, he should be fine. Plus he's shooting ~35% from 3 this year, shot 41.5% 2 years ago, and 35% the year before that.

But he's not my first target. I like Crowder and Marcus Morris. Morris would be helpful for sure. I'd also like Gallo, but I don't think that'll hapen.

I'd consider Dragic based off of his desire to play with Luka, but I'd probably pass and just bring back JJB on a vet min deal.
DBoys
Starter

Post#51 » by DBoys » Mon May 4, 2020 3:48 pm

We see Wright as needing to be better as a shooter, but Richardson is not a better shooter than Wright. Look it up.
R - 43% FG, 33% 3s, 79% FT
W - 47% FG, 38% 3s, 79% FT

Defense? B-R's rating has Wright as the slightly better defender of the two. WS and Plus-Minus have Wright as way better in their metrics.

Wright is the better rebounder (rebound rate on both ends of the court), better passer (assist rate, and assist/turnover rate).

Who is a better candidate to fit alongside Doncic off the ball? Richardson's usage rate is about 50% higher than Wrights.

It looks to me like the desire to replace Wright with Richardson is purely "grass must be greener over there" thinking.
DBoys
Starter

Post#52 » by DBoys » Mon May 4, 2020 3:56 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:I think Josh Richardson has similar height and body size when compared to THJ? He is really able to defense bigger forward like LeBron/Leonard/George etc.?

THJ - 6-5, 203
JR - 6-5, 200
DW - 6-5, 183

Of these 3, the only one who shows to be a plus defender by the ratings is Wright, actually. Your best defensive wing in Dallas on bigger wings would more likely be DFS than any of those 3.
Don7
Senior

Post#53 » by Don7 » Mon May 4, 2020 5:16 pm

Josh is still a plus defender and better shooter then both of them.This year numbers you can easily understand when you start comparing spacing,Luka vs Ben,KP vs Joel,good lord they couldn't be a bigger diffrence.Delon is a nice player but doesn't seem to fit with Luka that well,at least Carlisle thinks that.He´s way to passive when he plays with him and not good enough/willing enough shooter like THJ...38% on 0,7 make per game really is not that impressive when opponents give you all the time in the world.I like him,but i like Seth more,not sure way people are in rush to trade that great contract , they cant cheat on week side when he shares the floor with Luka.
DBoys
Starter

Post#54 » by DBoys » Mon May 4, 2020 6:16 pm

Don7 wrote:Josh is still a plus defender and better shooter then both of them..

Based on what? JR's a lot of hype, with people simply expecting him to be of great value, but ...

I'd also warn about the challenge of confusing cause and effect. It's tricky. Is Wright intrinsically not willing to score? Or is he forced into a limited role, with a hard time fitting, because Luka hogs the ball and takes all the shots, and will keep doing so? If the latter, bringing in a player who tends to shoot more won't solve anything, it will just offer a different flavor of a guy who's hard to fit and whose game suffers because he's not getting the ball/shots as much as he's used to.

Josh got lots of hype because he developed better than most 2nd rounders, which made him feel valuable. But he has NEVER been a great shooter, with a true shooting pct in the 53% range or so, which is kinda meh. IOW even in Miami, he wasn't as accurate as Wright has been with Dallas. And he's no better in Philly. Every evaluation says he's really nothing more than an average-to-mediocre player (PER in the 12-14 range, basically, and 15 is league average).
Don7
Senior

Post#55 » by Don7 » Mon May 4, 2020 6:57 pm

DBoys wrote:
Don7 wrote:Josh is still a plus defender and better shooter then both of them..

Based on what? JR's a lot of hype, with people simply expecting him to be of great value, but ...

I'd also warn about the challenge of confusing cause and effect. It's tricky. Is Wright intrinsically not willing to score? Or is he forced into a limited role, with a hard time fitting, because Luka hogs the ball and takes all the shots, and will keep doing so? If the latter, bringing in a player who tends to shoot more won't solve anything, it will just offer a different flavor of a guy who's hard to fit and whose game suffers because he's not getting the ball/shots as much as he's used to.

Josh got lots of hype because he developed better than most 2nd rounders, which made him feel valuable. But he has NEVER been a great shooter, with a true shooting pct in the 53% range or so, which is kinda meh. IOW even in Miami, he wasn't as accurate as Wright has been with Dallas. And he's no better in Philly. Every evaluation says he's really nothing more than an average-to-mediocre player (PER in the 12-14 range, basically, and 15 is league average).

Based on numbers , 4,4 attempts on 36,% , counting this one that really is not great situation.
Delon has good % like Rondo has good 3FG% , when nobody guards you on 2 attempts per game.

He was 3rd shooting guard by RAMP last year(after Jimmy Butler,Danny Green) We can all cherry pick stats that we like but there is few of them that show Josh having real impact and not every evaluation say he´s average-to mediocre player.

Luka for sure is ball dominant but Delon was passive dude for 250 NBA games,long before he came to Dallas.He only showed little more on that bad Memphis team for 2 weeks,and even then his offensive efficiency was average.Hes not your leading guard,he always play better with one more initiator along side him like Lowry.And i dont think that nobody was making J Rich look like Klay Thompson,just considering the options,the role he could play and the age group,he fits pretty well,bether then Delon in my opinion.Not really sure how it became Delon vs Richardson because i like Wright.
deb
Senior

Post#56 » by deb » Mon May 4, 2020 7:22 pm

Yeah, Wright doesn't shoot threes a lot, he attempted 481 in his entire career, Richardson 1352. Even per minute Richardson attempts almost twice as many threes. And Wright a lot of times just won't take the open three. I think Wright's biggest problem is that he's a counterattacking/slashing combo guard. He has problems running halfocourt offense and at the same time isn't good enough as an off the ball player. Brunson and JJB are both better playmakers and Curry and THJ are much better shooters. That makes him an awkward fit in either the first or the second unit. He averaged less than 22 mins a game this year. That's just not good enough for a guy getting paid as much as he is. Carlisle should either find a way to use him more or trade him. Richardson on the other hand is a much more natural fit imo. However, I don't think the mavs have what it'd take to trade for Richardson.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#57 » by arkuo » Mon May 4, 2020 7:26 pm

When you have a player like Luka or Lebron initiating the offense, I think having a player like J-Rich would fit better.

Who would you guys prefer if it came down to that, Josh Richardson or Victor Oladipo? Heard New York is making a hard push to trade for Oladipo too.
deb
Senior

Post#58 » by deb » Mon May 4, 2020 7:30 pm

Additionally, if we were to discount the 19/20 season, which was an outlier for both Wright and Richardson when it comes to 3pt shooting, then Wright's career % is .334 and Richardson's .368.

I agree with Don7 though, it isn't Wright vs/or Richardson...
deb
Senior

Post#59 » by deb » Mon May 4, 2020 7:34 pm

arkuo wrote:When you have a player like Luka or Lebron initiating the offense, I think having a player like J-Rich would fit better.

Who would you guys prefer if it came down to that, Josh Richardson or Victor Oladipo? Heard New York is making a hard push to trade for Oladipo too.

Oladipo hands down. Always take the two time all-star over good to great player with little chance to ever be an all-star. Only question in my mind is health. It's a pipe dream though.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,061

Post#60 » by Hoopz Afrik » Tue May 5, 2020 12:43 pm

How do you all feel about Montrezl Harrell? I think he'd be the perfect complementary guy for your two young studs, Kristaps particularly.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Return to Dallas Mavericks