ImageImageImage

Kelly Oubre news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

How has Oubre performed in regards to your expectations for him so far this season?

Exceeded my expectations
55%
About where I expected him to perform
41%
Subpar performance so far
5%

Total votes: 44

Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,147

Re: Kelly Oubre news and highlights 

Post#181 » by Slim Charless » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:49 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well I hope that when we trade him to Chicago or Orlando this offseason that guy gets Kelly a massive contract.
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,728

Post#182 » by darmani » Sat May 2, 2020 8:41 am

"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,155

Post#183 » by Revived » Sat May 2, 2020 12:45 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yikes. I like Oubre but paying him even half of what Tobias Harris got would be a huge mistake.

Sixers are living that mistake right now.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#184 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sat May 2, 2020 5:05 pm

Revived wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yikes. I like Oubre but paying him even half of what Tobias Harris got would be a huge mistake.

Half would be a bargain, though I'm not sure what the new contract landscape will look like next summer.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#185 » by bwgood77 » Sun May 3, 2020 2:20 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Revived wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Half would be a bargain, though I'm not sure what the new contract landscape will look like next summer.

No, that's still way too much. What he makes now is ok only because it is two years. Otherwise it would be an overpay. Can't hand out near $20 million contracts to average flashy players. Love his energy but we just need upgrades if we plan to go anywhere.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#186 » by bigfoot » Sun May 3, 2020 1:57 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Revived wrote:Yikes. I like Oubre but paying him even half of what Tobias Harris got would be a huge mistake.

No, that's still way too much. What he makes now is ok only because it is two years. Otherwise it would be an overpay. Can't hand out near $20 million contracts to average flashy players. Love his energy but we just need upgrades if we plan to go anywhere.

The NBA CBA has a "force majeure" clause that allows salaries to be adjusted if games are canceled. I don't know what type of clause there is for playing games without in-person fans. Really I don't see how existing salaries are going to hold up. There is no way in the world games with fans are going to be held within the next year, maybe two. I don't think the owners will be able to continue to pay existing salaries as-is without fans.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#187 » by lilfishi22 » Wed May 6, 2020 12:47 am

This offseason (whenever it starts) is going to be interesting. With a massive source of revenue dropping from no fans in arenas (ticket sales, food and bev etc), likely considerable drop in in-store and online merch sales and teams really only being propped up by existing TV deals, it's hard to see teams not looking to cut costs. Cutting cost would include not signing players to massive deals.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,441

Post#189 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:05 am

https://arizonasports.com/story/2307621/the-5-changes-questions-with-kelly-oubre-jr-out-for-suns-in-orlando/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Any thoughts on the potential implications of this? Would the good news be that as it limits his further exposure, In turn, it might be to our benefit somewhat in that it might suppress any further potential interest in him with respect to his impending 2021 free agency? Could this save us some money towards being able to resign him?
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#190 » by Fo-Real » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:17 pm

I want this man to play here next year and then figure things out!!!
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#191 » by bigfoot » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:50 pm

Fo-Real wrote:

I want this man to play here next year and then figure things out!!!

Off the bench, I can't imagine a better option that we could find in FA this summer. He should feast on the other team's bench players.

Payne
Carter
Oubre
Saric
Baynes

That should be a darn good bench and hold or extend leads. Even without Baynes you could run Johnson or Bridges with that unit and wreak havoc defensively.

Payne
Carter
Oubre
Bridges/Johnson
Saric
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#192 » by Qwigglez » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:53 am

Read on Twitter
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#193 » by suns12345 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:33 am

Qwigglez wrote:
Read on Twitter

Small sample size, but yeh, he does make some big shots thats for sure.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#194 » by Qwigglez » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:19 am

suns12345 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not as small of a sample size as wanting to trade Oubre because Cam Johnson's performance in the bubble.
suns12345
Starter

Post#195 » by suns12345 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:37 am

Qwigglez wrote:
suns12345 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not as small of a sample size as wanting to trade Oubre because Cam Johnson's performance in the bubble.

Haha yeah. Im not in the trade oubre camp for what its worth.

I do prefer Cam starting irrespective of his bubble play, but would probably still want to see Oubre in the lineup to finish games.

Ideally going forward I think our closing lineup at the 3&4 is whichever two are having the best game of Oubre, Cam, Bridges.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#196 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:05 pm

suns12345 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:
suns12345 wrote:

I do prefer Cam starting irrespective of his bubble play, but would probably still want to see Oubre in the lineup to finish games.

Ideally going forward I think our closing lineup at the 3&4 is whichever two are having the best game of Oubre, Cam, Bridges.

Would you guys pay him the $24 million a year like they were talking about on a recent pod? Or even $20 million a year, assuming Bridges and Cam improve quite a bit?
suns12345
Starter

Post#197 » by suns12345 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:01 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
suns12345 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

Would you guys pay him the $24 million a year like they were talking about on a recent pod? Or even $20 million a year, assuming Bridges and Cam improve quite a bit?

not 24, especially with the uncertain cap...

20 maybe, depends how many years and what else is out there.

I like oubre, he adds something to the team... but if nothing else, keeping him as an asset of value would be worthwhile (assuming the contract value wasn't so high it negated his value as a player)

I don't honestly have a view on what the best approach is. It will be interesting to see what transpires...
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#198 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:13 pm

suns12345 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
suns12345 wrote:

not 24, especially with the uncertain cap...

20 maybe, depends how many years and what else is out there.

I like oubre, he adds something to the team... but if nothing else, keeping him as an asset of value would be worthwhile (assuming the contract value wasn't so high it negated his value as a player)

I don't honestly have a view on what the best approach is. It will be interesting to see what transpires...

If I was running the team, I would keep him for a couple of reasons, unless he was causing behind the scenes problems and the contract demand was outrageous AND we had a great offer.

BUT, barring all of what I just said, which is improbable, I would hang onto him partly because I would work as an over the cap team, keep Saric, Carter and try hard to keep Baynes, and THEN use the MLE.

If Sarver decides to shave money by dealing Oubre for a lot less of a contract, and lets Baynes go, and spends around the salary floor, that will be disappointing. I am not sure how many roster spots that would leave open, but we'd then likely have a lot of minimum contracts. Though maybe we'd be further under the cap than the floor by quite a bit saving like $9 million on Oubre (if we got, say, Kennard back, and let Baynes go and signed Saric to a reasonable deal).

But I'd keep him and try to keep Baynes and work over the cap. I'd prefer keeping Baynes actually because I think he has a big impact on Ayton, but it all depends on money and what we would get for Oubre. But hopefully we can keep both.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#199 » by basketballRob » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:48 pm

I think they'll trade Aaron Gordon for Oubre and the 10th pick. Reason is who knows how Oubre's body will hold up. Kind of odd that both were held out while they appeared to be healthy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
suns12345
Starter

Post#200 » by suns12345 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:40 pm

basketballRob wrote:I think they'll trade Aaron Gordon for Oubre and the 10th pick. Reason is who knows how Oubre's body will hold up. Kind of odd that both were held out while they appeared to be healthy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Gosh I hope not. I just have no interest in Aaron Gordon.

I wouldn't even want him here for oubre straight up.

A lot of people on this board seem to like him though.

Return to Phoenix Suns