CJ Elleby (Washington State)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
And1: 499

CJ Elleby (Washington State) 

Post#1 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Wed May 6, 2020 8:19 pm

CJ Elleby 18.4 pts, 7.8 rpg, 1.9 ast, 1.8 stls. FG 39%, 3FG 33%, FT 82%. CJ shot 43% from the field and 41% from 3 point range as a Freshman but due to the lack of talent on his team as a Sophomore he had to become a volume shooter thus the dip in his shooting numbers from Freshman to Sophomore season. Also, CJ average 3 apg as a Freshman.

NBADraft.net currently has CJ at #37 overall and had him as a late 1st rounder before that. CJ tested the draft waters last season as well and got feedback from GMs/scouts that his defense needed work so he worked on that aspect of his game. CJ led the Pac-12 in total steals and steals per game this past season.

Elleby is a two player that can guard 1-4 on defense effectively. He can create for others on offense as well as score off the bounce or in catch and shoot situations. A really underrated prospect (6'6 in bare feet/6'7 in shoes) with a high basketball IQ that is a gym rat whose game should improve over time as he puts in the work behind the scenes.

Ex NBA coach/player Earl Watson has recently said that CJ is a first round pick in this 2020 draft and is his pre draft pick for the steal of this draft. Klay Thompson has spoken in very positive terms concernng CJ's skill level and draft readiness saying that he sees a lot of himself in CJ thus Klay is mentoring CJ Elleby through this draft process. Not saying CJ will be as good a player as Klay in the NBA but he has a lot of similar characteristics in his game.

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Re: G/F CJ Elleby (Washington State Sophomore) 

Post#2 » by EvanZ » Wed May 6, 2020 11:17 pm

I'm one of the few that really like Elleby. Doesn't quite have the physical tools or the shooting that Klay has but has a similar dog mentality.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#3 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 12:35 am

EvanZ wrote:I'm one of the few that really like Elleby. Doesn't quite have the physical tools or the shooting that Klay has but has a similar dog mentality.

I think that CJ is a little bit more athletic than Klay. He is definitely an inch or two bigger than Klay. CJ doesn't shoot like Klay but he has nice form on his jumper, and who knows with being able to focus on basketball without any classes to worry about he will improve his entire skill set being that he's a gym rat with a chip on his shoulder. Earl Watson called CJ his projected steal of the draft. I want the Raptors to draft him at #28.

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#4 » by getrichordie » Thu May 7, 2020 1:49 am

I think Elleby probably falls to the 35-40 range. His shot is still a question mark because he’s been changing his mechanics. Sometimes it looks fluid, sometimes it doesn’t. His shot really reminds me of Waiters because of the fall away and gather which kind of scares me.

Haven’t seen enough tape of him playing defense on the perimeter but he has the size to do so. My concern is that he’s going to be a 6’6 SF at the next level.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#5 » by EvanZ » Thu May 7, 2020 4:39 am

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
EvanZ wrote:I'm one of the few that really like Elleby. Doesn't quite have the physical tools or the shooting that Klay has but has a similar dog mentality.

I think that CJ is a little bit more athletic than Klay. He is definitely an inch or two bigger than Klay. CJ doesn't shoot like Klay but he has nice form on his jumper, and who knows with being able to focus on basketball without any classes to worry about he will improve his entire skill set being that he's a gym rat with a chip on his shoulder. Earl Watson called CJ his projected steal of the draft. I want the Raptors to draft him at #28.

He's definitely not an inch or two bigger than Klay. His wingspan is 6'7" compared to 6'9" for Klay. They're about the same height.

https://gleague.nba.com/news/2019-nba-g-league-elite-camp-player-measurements-and-testing-results-draft-eligible/

Drafting him at 28 would probably be a mistake because there will be much better prospects available. But to each his own!
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#6 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 6:00 am

EvanZ wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:

He's definitely not an inch or two bigger than Klay. His wingspan is 6'7" compared to 6'9" for Klay. They're about the same height.

https://gleague.nba.com/news/2019-nba-g-league-elite-camp-player-measurements-and-testing-results-draft-eligible/

Drafting him at 28 would probably be a mistake because there will be much better prospects available. But to each his own!

I seen them standing next to each other when Klay had his jersey retirement ceremony at Washington State. Klay is 6'5 without shoes, CJ is 6'6 without shoes.

So, the rest of your comment is as inaccurate as you initial statement. But to each his own!
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#7 » by No-Man » Thu May 7, 2020 8:04 am

Dude, Klay is 6'6 without shoes and close to 6'8 really when playing, Elleby if anything is as tall, and I think not even really

Maye the hair is confusing you (?)

Also, lol @ using NBADraft.net as a source for anything
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#8 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 4:18 pm

Fischella wrote:Dude, Klay is 6'6 without shoes and close to 6'8 really when playing, Elleby if anything is as tall, and I think not even really

Klay was measured at 6'5 without shoes https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/?SeasonYear=2011-12

CJ measured 6'6 without shoes https://gleague.nba.com/news/2019-nba-g-league-elite-camp-player-measurements-and-testing-results-draft-eligible/

Maybe the facts are confusing you...
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#9 » by EvanZ » Thu May 7, 2020 4:37 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
Fischella wrote:Dude, Klay is 6'6 without shoes and close to 6'8 really when playing, Elleby if anything is as tall, and I think not even really

Klay was measured at 6'5 without shoes https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/?SeasonYear=2011-12

CJ measured 6'6 without shoes https://gleague.nba.com/news/2019-nba-g-league-elite-camp-player-measurements-and-testing-results-draft-eligible/

Wow. I literally gave you the site that shows Elleby's wingspan is 2" less than Klay and you are denying it. Not a great way to make friends here buddy. :lol:

You also apparently don't know basic math. Klay measured 6'5.75" in the very link you gave to the combine. That is 6'6" with rounding not 6'5". But OK!! They are the same height, but Klay has a 2" advantage in wingspan and standing reach.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Thu May 7, 2020 5:22 pm

i can't take this dude seriously until he cuts his hair
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#11 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 5:43 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:

Wow. I literally gave you the site that shows Elleby's wingspan is 2" less than Klay and you are denying it. Not a great way to make friends here buddy. :lol:

You also apparently don't know basic math. Klay measured 6'5.75" in the very link you gave to the combine. That is 6'6" with rounding not 6'5". But OK!! They are the same height, but Klay has a 2" advantage in wingspan and standing reach.

I'm talking about height not wingspan, standing reach- Einstein. We don't round anything up around here we go by facts, Sherlock. Klay is not 6'6 barefoot- fact. CJ is taller than Klay- fact.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#12 » by EvanZ » Thu May 7, 2020 6:25 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:Klay was measured at 6'5 without shoes https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/?SeasonYear=2011-12

I'm talking about height not wingspan, standing reach- Einstein. We don't round anything up around here we go by facts, Sherlock. Klay is not 6'6 barefoot- fact. CJ is taller than Klay- fact.

Klay is literally 0.25" shorter than Elleby. They are the same height buddy. :crazy:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#13 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 6:33 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Klay is literally 0.25" shorter than Elleby. They are the same height buddy. :crazy:

Shorter is shorter. They are not the same height. You just posted that Klay is shorter. :crazy: :noway: :nonono:
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#14 » by EvanZ » Thu May 7, 2020 6:41 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:I'm talking about height not wingspan, standing reach- Einstein. We don't round anything up around here we go by facts, Sherlock. Klay is not 6'6 barefoot- fact. CJ is taller than Klay- fact.

Shorter is shorter. They are not the same height. You just posted that Klay is shorter. :crazy: :noway: :nonono:

Oh my god man. Take the L and go home. These measurements always have some error. CJ's hair alone could inflate his height. :lol:

At this point, you realize nobody will take you seriously right? Just admit you were wrong and move on.

He is definitely an inch or two bigger than Klay.

Those were your words buddy.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#15 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 7:11 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Oh my god man. Take the L and go home. These measurements always have some error. CJ's hair alone could inflate his height. :lol:

At this point, you realize nobody will take you seriously right? Just admit you were wrong and move on.

You said that they were both the same height by rounding up Klay's height and they are not, buddy. Point blank CJ is taller than Klay. In the new NBA height reports done this past season Klay is in at 6'5 which is a full inch shorter than CJ measured during his NBA pre draft workouts last season. :D

The new NBA height measurements (Klay Thompson from 6’7 to 6’5) https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2858694-lebron-james-kevin-durant-klay-thompson-more-official-nba-heights-reported
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#16 » by EvanZ » Thu May 7, 2020 9:15 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:Shorter is shorter. They are not the same height. You just posted that Klay is shorter. :crazy: :noway: :nonono:

You said that they were both the same height by rounding up Klay's height and they are not, buddy. Point blank CJ is taller than Klay. In the new NBA height reports done this past season Klay is in at 6'5 which is a full inch shorter than CJ measured during his NBA pre draft workouts last season. :D

The new NBA height measurements (Klay Thompson from 6’7 to 6’5) https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2858694-lebron-james-kevin-durant-klay-thompson-more-official-nba-heights-reported

You do you man. Good luck. I'm done with you though.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#17 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 9:43 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

You do you man. Good luck. I'm done with you though.

You should be done, buddy and I don't have to round that up either... :wink:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Re: CJ Elleby (Washington State) 

Post#19 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Tue May 12, 2020 1:11 am

The BTST guys are back! They start their quarantined interview series with WSU wing and NBA Draft Prospect CJ Elleby. They talk about his experiences at Cleveland HS, Rotary, WSU & his future opportunities with the NBA.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Re: CJ Elleby (Washington State) 

Post#20 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Fri May 15, 2020 5:19 am

The Most Underrated Prospect In The NBA Draft

Return to NBA Draft