ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers Might Relocate... To Inglewood (UPDATE: And A New Logo To Go With It)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Re: Clippers Might Relocate... To Inglewood 

Post#281 » by esqtvd » Tue May 5, 2020 1:27 am

it's official

MSG ripped him off but Ballmer's not getting any younger
not gonna fight about about a lousy hundred million or two lol

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
WC NBA Fan
Junior
And1: 187

Post#282 » by WC NBA Fan » Thu May 7, 2020 6:20 pm

esqtvd wrote:it's official

Read on Twitter

It does make you wonder. Ballmer was going to get this arena done regardless of whether he bought the Forum or not. Knowing that, you have to wonder why he would pay such a top dollar amount if he didn't have to.

Another thing to consider is that Ballmer isn't just throwing around Monopoly money. Despite his wealth, he has said over and over that he is treating this as a business. Knowing that, you conclude that he wouldn't overpay for the Forum if he doesn't have to.

So where does that leave us? I say that the Forum financials are a probably a lot more lucrative then we've been lead to believe.

Either that or Ballmer has long term plans for that location that he isn't letting us in on now...
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#283 » by wco81 » Thu May 7, 2020 7:03 pm

So is he going to use the Forum to hold concerts or just tear it down?

I thought the plan was to use the new stadium for concerts, which will be key because he wouldn't have to share those revenues with the league.

Well he wouldn't have to share revenues from the Forum either, assuming we get to have concerts and other events again some day.

But new stadium would command higher ticket prices than the Forum, probably?
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#284 » by WC NBA Fan » Thu May 7, 2020 7:16 pm

wco81 wrote:So is he going to use the Forum to hold concerts or just tear it down?

I thought the plan was to use the new stadium for concerts, which will be key because he wouldn't have to share those revenues with the league.

Well he wouldn't have to share revenues from the Forum either, assuming we get to have concerts and other events again some day.

But new stadium would command higher ticket prices than the Forum, probably?

That's what I'm wondering about in my post. He'll either keep the Forum and have concerts at both the Forum and the new arena due to the Forum being more lucrative than we have been led on to believe or he'll tear it down and use the land for something more valuable. We just don't know yet.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#285 » by esqtvd » Thu May 7, 2020 11:01 pm

WC NBA Fan wrote:

Read on Twitter

It does make you wonder. Ballmer was going to get this arena done regardless of whether he bought the Forum or not. Knowing that, you have to wonder why he would pay such a top dollar amount if he didn't have to.

Another thing to consider is that Ballmer isn't just throwing around Monopoly money. Despite his wealth, he has said over and over that he is treating this as a business. Knowing that, you conclude that he wouldn't overpay for the Forum if he doesn't have to.

So where does that leave us? I say that the Forum financials are a probably a lot more lucrative then we've been lead to believe.

Either that or Ballmer has long term plans for that location that he isn't letting us in on now...

Dolan extorted Ballmer with every dirty legal and political trick in the book. He did it once before with the Jets, and got away with it. Ballmer would have won eventually, but at age 64, putting off your dream a few years to save money you could never possibly spend anyway is to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Ballmer's no fool. Dolan cheated him fair and square, lol, and Ballmer paid up.

October 2019:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-steve-ballmer-warns-james-dolan-inglewood-arena-20191004-wepeblzz3vh23mbzi4pvwp4z5u-story.html

Steve Ballmer sent a public warning to James Dolan as the two continue their billionaire Battle Royale over land in California.

"You want to hit us in the nose? OK! We'll keep moving,” Ballmer told reporters Thursday. “You can't knock us down! I'm not sure they understand what they've gotten themselves into, from my perspective in the sense that we'll just keep going.”

Ballmer is determined to build his new Clippers arena in Inglewood despite the opposition from Dolan, who wants to avoid the venue competition with his Forum just a mile away from the proposed construction site. Dolan has levied lawsuits and bankrolled a failed mayoral candidacy in Inglewood to block the project, despite the new Clippers arena being supported by NBA commissioner Adam Silver.

It has led to an uncomfortable business relationship and Ballmer alluded to it when Dolan’s name was mentioned Thursday.

"My partner in the NBA! It's a weird form of partnership," Ballmer said.

Several years ago, through smear campaigns and other tactics, Dolan successfully blocked the construction of a new Jets arena in Manhattan. Dolan acknowledged in court to spending between $12 million and $14 million on that campaign. He’s taking a similar approach in Inglewood but Ballmer — one of the world’s wealthiest men as a co-owner and co-founder of Microsoft — has vowed success.

Ballmer’s proposed arena would be entirely privately funded.

“[MSG] did really participate in blocking that Jets stadium in New York. They did. It was supposed to be there some place on the west side of town,” Ballmer said. “We’re going to keep patient. We have plenty of time. Keep patient, keep going."

The Clippers hope to move to Inglewood in 2024 when their lease expires at Staples Center. But they’re dealing with a lawsuit from MSG that doesn’t have a trial date until 2020. Ballmer can break ground after an agreement with the City of Inglewood, but with lawsuits pending, he risks sinking money into a project that a court forces him to abandon. MSG can also file a lawsuit asking for a preliminary injunction, which is meant to maintain status quo and keep Ballmer from even starting construction.

Donald Sterling was a more disgusting character, but he never stole from his partners. It's hard to be a bigger swine than Sterling, but Dolan is the biggest.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NickRider44
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#286 » by NickRider44 » Fri May 8, 2020 9:12 am

esqtvd wrote:
WC NBA Fan wrote:

Read on Twitter

Dolan extorted Ballmer with every dirty legal and political trick in the book. He did it once before with the Jets, and got away with it. Ballmer would have won eventually, but at age 64, putting off your dream a few years to save money you could never possibly spend anyway is to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Ballmer's no fool. Dolan cheated him fair and square, lol, and Ballmer paid up.

October 2019:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-steve-ballmer-warns-james-dolan-inglewood-arena-20191004-wepeblzz3vh23mbzi4pvwp4z5u-story.html

Steve Ballmer sent a public warning to James Dolan as the two continue their billionaire Battle Royale over land in California.

"You want to hit us in the nose? OK! We'll keep moving,” Ballmer told reporters Thursday. “You can't knock us down! I'm not sure they understand what they've gotten themselves into, from my perspective in the sense that we'll just keep going.”

Ballmer is determined to build his new Clippers arena in Inglewood despite the opposition from Dolan, who wants to avoid the venue competition with his Forum just a mile away from the proposed construction site. Dolan has levied lawsuits and bankrolled a failed mayoral candidacy in Inglewood to block the project, despite the new Clippers arena being supported by NBA commissioner Adam Silver.

It has led to an uncomfortable business relationship and Ballmer alluded to it when Dolan’s name was mentioned Thursday.

"My partner in the NBA! It's a weird form of partnership," Ballmer said.

Several years ago, through smear campaigns and other tactics, Dolan successfully blocked the construction of a new Jets arena in Manhattan. Dolan acknowledged in court to spending between $12 million and $14 million on that campaign. He’s taking a similar approach in Inglewood but Ballmer — one of the world’s wealthiest men as a co-owner and co-founder of Microsoft — has vowed success.

Ballmer’s proposed arena would be entirely privately funded.

“[MSG] did really participate in blocking that Jets stadium in New York. They did. It was supposed to be there some place on the west side of town,” Ballmer said. “We’re going to keep patient. We have plenty of time. Keep patient, keep going."

The Clippers hope to move to Inglewood in 2024 when their lease expires at Staples Center. But they’re dealing with a lawsuit from MSG that doesn’t have a trial date until 2020. Ballmer can break ground after an agreement with the City of Inglewood, but with lawsuits pending, he risks sinking money into a project that a court forces him to abandon. MSG can also file a lawsuit asking for a preliminary injunction, which is meant to maintain status quo and keep Ballmer from even starting construction.

Donald Sterling was a more disgusting character, but he never stole from his partners. It's hard to be a bigger swine than Sterling, but Dolan is the biggest.

Totally agree!
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#287 » by Quake Griffin » Wed May 13, 2020 2:52 am

Ballmer is changing the culture here in Clipper country. If he can help it, he is not going to give Clipper fans lame moments, work/ barbershop fodder for Laker fans to tease us, etc. etc. He understands what this fan base is about and he understands the suffering we went through under Donald T., so he is determined to never let that happen again if possible.

There wasnt an ice cube's chance in hell he was letting a squirt like Dolan get in the way of building the Clippers a state of the art basketball arena.

The losers will count his (and Dolan's) money.
The smart people know that you can't calculate the ROI on the Clippers having their own state of the art stadium (the best one in Los Angeles) and being a winning first class NBA organization.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 146

Post#288 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Mon Jun 8, 2020 1:14 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Ballmer is changing the culture here in Clipper country. If he can help it, he is not going to give Clipper fans lame moments, work/ barbershop fodder for Laker fans to tease us, etc. etc. He understands what this fan base is about and he understands the suffering we went through under Donald T., so he is determined to never let that happen again if possible.
There wasn't an Ice Cube's chance in hell he was letting a squirt like Dolan get in the way of building the Clippers a state of the art basketball arena.
The losers will count his (and Dolan's) money.
The smart people know that you can't calculate the ROI on the Clippers having their own state of the art stadium (the best one in Los Angeles) and being a winning first class NBA organization.

That's for sure!! 8-)

Btw, I got an official e-mail confirmation today: Clipper Nation, Welcome the Forum to Our Family

Recently formed CAPSS LLC, led by LA Clippers Chairman Steve Ballmer and Vice Chairman Dennis Wong, completed the purchase of the Forum in Inglewood from the Madison Square Garden Entertainment Corp, and plans for a new, fan-focused NBA arena in Inglewood near the Forum continue to move forward. “Having the Forum just a short distance from the LA Clippers’ new arena will give us the opportunity to provide the City of Inglewood with a number of benefits, including a collaborative approach to managing traffic and community activities,” said Gillian Zucker, Clippers President of Business Operations.
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#289 » by WC NBA Fan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Transit connector update. Looks like it won't go all the way to Century but it's still just a 5 minute walk so no big deal. My guess is that Ballmer has no interest in filling the funding gap. He's already invested enough in the community and wants to profit off the parking structures he's building. More people on the connector means less potential parking revenue. Just a hunch on my part.

Read on Twitter
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 763

Post#290 » by donemilio21 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:07 am

WC NBA Fan wrote:Transit connector update. Looks like it won't go all the way to Century but it's still just a 5 minute walk so no big deal. My guess is that Ballmer has no interest in filling the funding gap. He's already invested enough in the community and wants to profit off the parking structures he's building. More people on the connector means less potential parking revenue. Just a hunch on my part.

Read on Twitter

that would have a limit of few thousand people. Transporting 5k people after a game has ended on a monorail would take over an hour.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#291 » by Clemenza » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:55 am

Things are looking good but I don't think a shovel is going into the ground or a fleck of dirt is moved until this Covid-19 is under control
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#292 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Sep 8, 2020 10:39 pm

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#293 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Sep 8, 2020 11:14 pm

Cannot wait for this.

God Bless you Ballmer.

Remember....he's gonna move the team to Seattle Brehs... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#294 » by Clemenza » Wed Sep 9, 2020 12:19 am

Wow, that's big news!
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#295 » by BillTheGOAT » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:54 am

Congrats Clippers, finally a Clipper owner trying to get out of the Lakers' shadow...

Any chance the Forum might be used for next season as home venue if there wont be any fans there?

Assuming there's no bubble/s...
NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Post#296 » by NickP » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:13 pm

Speaking of Arenas, how many of you have attended games in the Sports Arena?
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#297 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:24 pm

NickP wrote:Speaking of Arenas, how many of you have attended games in the Sports Arena?

Several.

And a few at the Pond.
NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Post#298 » by NickP » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:24 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
NickP wrote:Speaking of Arenas, how many of you have attended games in the Sports Arena?

Several.

And a few at the Pond.

My last memory is Zo and the Heat completely tearing us down. :)
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#299 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:14 pm

NickP wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:

Several.

And a few at the Pond.

My last memory is Zo and the Heat completely tearing us down. :)

LMAO.

There were plenty of those.
Crazy to me (because I dont live in LA anymore and don't pass by it enough) that that place is gone and has been gone for some time.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 524

Post#300 » by Kelphus » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:26 pm

Started as a season ticket holder there.many seasons til Staples.... what a dump it was
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers