nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#61 » by nolang1 » Thu May 7, 2020 10:34 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
A person can change their frame with a combination of hard work in the weight room and a high calorie diet. You are going based on stats. PoliSci 101 stats are another way to lie. I am going based on the eye test of actually watching him play. Jaden is only 19 years old and will maximize his talents as he can now concentrate on basketball 100% of his time with no classes to worry about. His skill level (passing, dribbling, shooting) for a player his size is elite. Plus he is a very good shot blocker/shot alterer as well as deflects, steals a lot of passes on defense with his length. Not to mention that he runs the floor like a gazelle at 6'10.

Lol what exercises do you do to make your wingspan 4 inches longer? Just because someone is skinny doesnā€™t mean they automatically have a long wingspan, and you continually misrepresent his size by comparing him to someone like Giannis or Durant.

Wow, you have really gone off of the edge. Who said anything about increasing his wingspan? I'm talking about increasing his muscle mass in the weight room and with his diet. Comprehension is a mental extension. :sleep:

Others have compared McDaniels to KD.

I donā€™t expect everyone that posts here to be particularly smart, and you have failed to clear a very low bar. If getting compared to KD in a high school mixtape means anything, you should check out Thon Maker.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
And1: 499

Post#62 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 10:50 pm

nolang1 wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Lol what exercises do you do to make your wingspan 4 inches longer? Just because someone is skinny doesnā€™t mean they automatically have a long wingspan, and you continually misrepresent his size by comparing him to someone like Giannis or Durant.

Wow, you have really gone off of the edge. Who said anything about increasing his wingspan? I'm talking about increasing his muscle mass in the weight room and with his diet. Comprehension is a mental extension. :sleep:

Others have compared McDaniels to KD.

I donā€™t expect everyone that posts here to be particularly smart, and you have failed to clear a very low bar. If getting compared to KD in a high school mixtape means anything, you should check out Thon Maker.

I said that other people have been comparing Jaden to KD and proceeded to show that fact...comprehension is a mental extension and you have failed to clear than bar, buddy.

MarsReel https://www.marsreel.com/jaden-mcdaniels-the-6-foot-10-senior-compared-to-kd/

D3ko
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#63 » by D3ko » Thu May 7, 2020 10:53 pm

How bad would be the draft if McDaniels is the best player of the draft in 5 years?

For me he is the best project in this years draft.

As a super 3&D player, 3Āŗ best player in a winning team.

Pros
Size, Shooting, Attack Closeouts nicely, can be an above average defender.
Cons
My biggest knock on him is the lack of P&R plays that he runs, so the lack of power forward development and lack of Passing skills will force him to be a Role Player

His floor is Kelly Oubre/Ariza

Ceiling: Short KD/Tatum.

Probable; Harrison Barnes,Worse PG
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#64 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 7, 2020 11:06 pm

D3ko wrote:How bad would be the draft if McDaniels is the best player of the draft in 5 years?

Pros
Cons
My biggest knock on him is the lack of P&R plays that he runs, so the lack of power forward development and lack of Passing skills will force him to be a Role Player

Jaden is a very good passer, though. Jaden is a SF not a PF. Jaden has the potential to be a point forward.

nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#65 » by nolang1 » Fri May 8, 2020 4:40 am

D3ko wrote:How bad would be the draft if McDaniels is the best player of the draft in 5 years?

Pros
Cons

Heā€™s not really a super three-point shooter or passer and his defensive numbers are juiced by playing in for a team that almost exclusively plays zone. Like the major issue with him as a prospect is that heā€™s closer to being a 4 skillwise but is a long, long ways from having that kind of strength; itā€™s very possible that his choice of school could have prevented him from being exposed as unable to guard post players, which takes away from his theoretical versatility oj the defensive end. If he were to gain 30 pounds that would put him at about Gallinariā€™s dimensions, and Gallinari (who has had multiple bad injuries that have robbed him of lots of his athleticism) is a much better shooter and passer. So he can definitely be an NBA player, but like you said there just really isnā€™t any superstar type of upside with him even though he superficially resembles Giannis or KD as a prospect due to being tall and skinny.

The other thing you brought up in your pros and cons reminds me of an anecdote I once heard from my uncle whoā€™s been an NBA scout for a while. On one of the teams he worked for there was a player named Jon Koncak who not only got overdrafted but got overpaid so much that his nickname was ā€˜Jon Contract.ā€™ When I asked him what the whole deal with that was, he said (to paraphrase) that one of the things the front office really liked from him out of college was his ability to pass out of double teams, but who was going to be double-teaming him in the NBA? Thatā€™s the same feeling I got when seeing that one of McDanielsā€™s (a 33% three-point shooter on moderate volume from the college line) biggest strengths is supposed to be attacking closeouts: whoā€™s going to be aggressively closing out to him?
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#66 » by Stillwater » Fri May 8, 2020 6:52 pm

Sounds like SSAL has a man crush too me. Posting countless videos anyone can google on their own and then reverting to pathetic name calling and attempting to question others intelligence when said individuals opinion doesn't agree with them is overall about as irrational as I have seen on these forums.
Jaden McDaniels is a questionable IQ, questionable motor, average at best stats across the board, no clear skill to hang his hat on fringe lottery prospect at best and on top of that because he is a 3-4 hybrid forward in a weak draft dominated by guard prospects.
If this draft had more boom bust forwards he would be a fringe 1st rounder.
His season at Washington was overall a major disappointment because he was one of the few prospects who looked like he could dominate coming out of HS but of course failed on all levels even when given the keys.If you can't dominate in college how you going to do it in the NBA? He needs to get a lot fn stronger and he needs to get his head on straight or he will be out of the league before his rookie deal is up.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
D3ko
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#67 » by D3ko » Fri May 8, 2020 7:49 pm

nolang1 wrote:

Pros
Cons

Heā€™s not really a super three-point shooter or passer and his defensive numbers are juiced by playing in for a team that almost exclusively plays zone. Like the major issue with him as a prospect is that heā€™s closer to being a 4 skillwise but is a long, long ways from having that kind of strength; itā€™s very possible that his choice of school could have prevented him from being exposed as unable to guard post players, which takes away from his theoretical versatility oj the defensive end. If he were to gain 30 pounds that would put him at about Gallinariā€™s dimensions, and Gallinari (who has had multiple bad injuries that have robbed him of lots of his athleticism) is a much better shooter and passer. So he can definitely be an NBA player, but like you said there just really isnā€™t any superstar type of upside with him even though he superficially resembles Giannis or KD as a prospect due to being tall and skinny.

The other thing you brought up in your pros and cons reminds me of an anecdote I once heard from my uncle whoā€™s been an NBA scout for a while. On one of the teams he worked for there was a player named Jon Koncak who not only got overdrafted but got overpaid so much that his nickname was ā€˜Jin Contract.ā€™ When I asked him what the whole deal with that was, he said (to paraphrase) that one of the things the front office really liked from him out of college was his ability to pass out of double teams, but who was going to be double-teaming him in the NBA? Thatā€™s the same feeling I got when seeing that one of McDanielsā€™s (a 33% three-point shooter on moderate volume from the college line) biggest strengths is supposed to be attacking closeouts: whoā€™s going to be aggressively closing out to him?

Great point!

My guessing is that he will improve his % shooting the 3, with a faster pace, and being open to shoot due to ball movement/ corner 3.

I didnt mention Gallinari, but yeah, fits my criteria, Gallo for me is a underrated player due to injuries, easily an All Star player , a tier below the tops, but in Tier 2 , no question.

I were OKC i would look to trade up and select him

Learning from Gallo until the trade line, when you trade Gallo.

Paul,Shai, McDaniels,Gallo,Adams .
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#68 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Mon May 11, 2020 1:41 am

Jaden McDaniels https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2020/05/jaden-mcdaniels-nba-draft-2020-profile-stats-bio-video-of-the-washington-guard.html

Following one season with the University of Washington, forward Jaden McDaniels is headed to the 2020 NBA Draft.

McDaniels declared in mid-April after his one year with the Huskies, staying in state after playing his high school basketball in Seattle.

Here is a look at McDaniels with stats, biographical information and video. The draft is scheduled for Thursday, June 25, but teams are reportedly encouraging the NBA to push it back to August or later. The lottery and combine have already been indefinitely postponed by the league.

Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#69 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Tue May 12, 2020 1:08 am

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels
Evan Daniels@EvanDaniels
Washington forward Jaden McDaniels is bypassing his remaining college eligibility and signing with Nima Namakian of BDA Sports for his professional representation, a source tells @247Sports Averaged 13 PPG and 5.8 RPG this past season.

Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#71 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Sun May 17, 2020 8:07 pm

Jaden McDaniels Scouting Video vs #16 Baylor

In this video, we look at the offensive performance of Jaden McDaniels in Washington's first game of the season against No. 16-ranked Baylor. McDaniels showed the skills and scoring ability that he has at 6'10". Could an NBA team to a chance on McDaniels in the top 5 come next June's draft?
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#72 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Tue May 19, 2020 10:35 pm

SI https://www.si.com/college/washington/basketball/mcdaniels-slips-to-back-half-of-first-round

Five weeks to the NBA draft, Jaden McDaniels is being talked about as a late-round steal.

Which is fine, except the former University of Washington forward has probably dropped 10-12 picks over the course of last season while giving pro scouts a college sample of what he can do.

Once considered a surefire top 10 pick, the mock drafts rate him no higher than No. 16 now -- with NBAdraft.net offering him this generous assessment by projecting that he goes to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#73 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Sat May 23, 2020 6:42 pm

When it comes right down to it Jaden will most likely go Lottery and it wouldn't surprise me to see him go somewhere in the top 10. Jaden's skill level and ceiling potential rivals any prospect in this draft. His skill set is tailor made for today's wide open up and down style of play in the NBA.

Stillwater
RealGM

Post#74 » by Stillwater » Sat May 23, 2020 6:59 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:When it comes right down to it Jaden will most likely go Lottery and it wouldn't surprise me to see him go somewhere in the top 10. Jaden's skill level and ceiling potential rivals any prospect in this draft. His skill set is tailor made for today's wide open up and down style of play in the NBA.

I see you have location listed as Earth you may want to change that "somewhere in the clouds"
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#75 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Sat May 23, 2020 7:25 pm

big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#76 » by big-shot-ROB » Sat May 23, 2020 7:46 pm

We get it, you like Jaden.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#77 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat May 23, 2020 8:10 pm

King Ken wrote:The biggest thing I don't like about him is feel for the game. He will eventually add the strength needed to play in this league effectively but that feel for the game is bad.

He's not Durant or J. Issac but he's not Perry Jones and Anthony "Magic" Randolph either.

He's closer to Issac and Durant but not close to them in feel for the game. The talent and skill is higher than Issac but worse than Durant.

I don't know where he falls on the spectrum but he's likely going to end up in that same range with someone like former Hawk legend, Josh Smith. Not the same player obviously.

Any video you watch of him making a ton of spectacular shots over length, which makes me feel good about his chances of scoring while defended while worrying why he seemingly only takes contested shots. Is that him or the coaching?
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#78 » by King Ken » Sat May 23, 2020 8:32 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
King Ken wrote:The biggest thing I don't like about him is feel for the game. He will eventually add the strength needed to play in this league effectively but that feel for the game is bad.

He's not Durant or J. Issac but he's not Perry Jones and Anthony "Magic" Randolph either.

He's closer to Issac and Durant but not close to them in feel for the game. The talent and skill is higher than Issac but worse than Durant.

I don't know where he falls on the spectrum but he's likely going to end up in that same range with someone like former Hawk legend, Josh Smith. Not the same player obviously.

Any video you watch of him making a ton of spectacular shots over length, which makes me feel good about his chances of scoring while defended while worrying why he seemingly only takes contested shots. Is that him or the coaching?

I didn't stop to think about it honestly.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#79 » by Stillwater » Sat May 23, 2020 10:46 pm

King Ken wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

I didn't stop to think about it honestly.

yeah I see a push over coach handing him the keys ,him forcing the issue with bad shot selection and the teams overall record sufferring for it. He had no business being a 1st or even 2nd option scorer in college
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,244

Post#80 » by Catchall » Mon May 25, 2020 4:36 pm

McDaniels was a sure-fire one-and-done player who was hyped up as a lottery pick and playing on a bad team in Washington. Teams are going to ask themselves if this is why his effort level was uneven and why he made careless plays. Interviews and background checks are going to be critical for him.

As for who he compares to, I think teams will look at Brandon Ingram's development curve and ask themselves if they think McDaniels can replicate it.

It's still possible that McDaniels could go in the 10 - 15 range if a team believes in him. It seems that nearly every player has question marks. Someone might decide they like him over Nesmith or Hampton.

Based on what little film I saw, Washington didn't exactly run plays that put McDaniels in a great position. I don't see guys setting screens for him. I don't see him running off pin downs. He's doing a lot of his own creation one-on-one or by spotting up and attacking closeouts. Coaching could have been a factor with his limited production.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to NBA Draft