Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part II] Ja v Zion

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Ja vs Zion, Who Ya Got?

Ja
74%
Zion
22%
Other
4%

Total votes: 193

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,406

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part II] Ja v Zion 

Post#41 » by ILOVEIT » Fri May 8, 2020 6:59 pm

This reminds me a lot of Curry or Griffin. I think the smaller Ja has the best chance of having a longer and sustainable impact to a championship type scenario. Zion, like Griffin, will have the more hype and highlights, but will VERY likely break down within 3-4 years. It's a fact: The body can not continue to sustain that level of athletic activity in such a heavy body. He needs to drop 20 lb's or he's in trouble. IMO
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#42 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:52 am

ILOVEIT wrote:This reminds me a lot of Curry or Griffin. I think the smaller Ja has the best chance of having a longer and sustainable impact to a championship type scenario. Zion, like Griffin, will have the more hype and highlights, but will VERY likely break down within 3-4 years. It's a fact: The body can not continue to sustain that level of athletic activity in such a heavy body. He needs to drop 20 lb's or he's in trouble. IMO

Ja is a guard. he's going to be more of a difference maker long term since he's probably going to handling the ball way more than Zion ever will.

Zion will have some great years but i think his physical dominance will take a toll on his body long term.

barring any injuries though, Ja is more likely a difference maker based on the guard-oriented league where you need elite guards to win the game.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,260

Post#43 » by sfernald » Sat May 16, 2020 3:47 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:This reminds me a lot of Curry or Griffin. I think the smaller Ja has the best chance of having a longer and sustainable impact to a championship type scenario. Zion, like Griffin, will have the more hype and highlights, but will VERY likely break down within 3-4 years. It's a fact: The body can not continue to sustain that level of athletic activity in such a heavy body. He needs to drop 20 lb's or he's in trouble. IMO

Or it could be more like the 2008 draft where Derrick Rose breaks himself down to a shadow of himself cause he's a guard and Brook Lopez a 7 footer is still playing strong.
Smirk
Starter
And1: 1,594

Post#44 » by Smirk » Mon May 18, 2020 4:02 pm

I truly feel like if the season had finished completely, Zion would have stolen it. He was just that good. On another level.

But he simply didn't play enough games. It is Ja's. And that's cool. Both are going to be great.

I think Zion will be on another level from everyone in the long run though.
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#45 » by lordjeff05 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 am

With the season stopped now I’m fine with Ja getting it, but Zion was a better playing in both advanced stats and old school counting stats.

The Pels were waaaaay better with him on the floor.

What I will say is that Jah was better in the clutch which backs up the idea that because he’s a ball handler he can affect the game in major ways.

However, I will say that it’s important to note that the Warriors are the only team since the Pistons to win a chip when their best player was the point guard and Jay’s size will be an impediment his entire career.

Granted he’s just a rook but Jrue shut him down as a bigger more aggressive defender and there will be more of that Type of defense in the playoffs.
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#46 » by Crizzle » Sat May 23, 2020 2:00 am

lordjeff05 wrote:With the season stopped now I’m fine with Ja getting it, but Zion was a better playing in both advanced stats and old school counting stats.

What I will say is that Jah was better in the clutch which backs up the idea that because he’s a ball handler he can affect the game in major ways.

However, I will say that it’s important to note that the Warriors are the only team since the Pistons to win a chip when their best player was the point guard and Jay’s size will be an impediment his entire career.

Granted he’s just a rook but Jrue shut him down as a bigger more aggressive defender and there will be more of that Type of defense in the playoffs.

I feel JJJ has to max his potential and end up being the best of the two
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,074
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#47 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 am

I wish the Grizz weren't such a good organization and we could have coaxed them into a trade for #2.

Or if the Lakers had gotten the #2 pick... I know I'm just being greedy :lol:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#48 » by Spens1 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:22 pm

Ja just based on the fact that he played the full season, Zion was injured for a fair bit and Ja led the Grizzlies to be a playoff contender, that in itself is very impressive.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#49 » by MemphisX » Mon May 25, 2020 12:19 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I wish the Grizz weren't such a good organization and we could have coaxed them into a trade for #2.

Or if the Lakers had gotten the #2 pick... I know I'm just being greedy :lol:

If Chris Wallace was still there, you might have had a chance.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#50 » by lordjeff05 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:39 am

Crizzle wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:With the season stopped now I’m fine with Ja getting it, but Zion was a better playing in both advanced stats and old school counting stats.

JJJ is a prototype big and I am as excited as anyone about his potential. Are you saying he has a chance to be better than Jah or Zion? I don’t see that but you never know. He gives me a Rasheed Wallace vibe in so far as he has the potential to be able to do everything on both ends of the court but I don’t know if I see him consistently taking over games like Jah and Zion.

I don’t think people realize how dominant Zion was this year. Go look up how many rooks had his average points per game . Not impressed because of the short year? Go look at how many games he got over 25 points a game and compare it to any rookie of the last 30 years. Don’t care about counting stats? Look at his net rating.

At every level of competition Zion has been doubted and has dominated.
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#51 » by Crizzle » Wed May 27, 2020 6:48 pm

lordjeff05 wrote:
Crizzle wrote:

JJJ is a prototype big and I am as excited as anyone about his potential. Are you saying he has a chance to be better than Jah or Zion? I don’t see that but you never know. He gives me a Rasheed Wallace vibe in so far as he has the potential to be able to do everything on both ends of the court but I don’t know if I see him consistently taking over games like Jah and Zion.

I don’t think people realize how dominant Zion was this year. Go look up how many rooks had his average points per game . Not impressed because of the short year? Go look at how many games he got over 25 points a game and compare it to any rookie of the last 30 years. Don’t care about counting stats? Look at his net rating.

I think that if the grizzlies end up becoming true contenders, JJJ is gonna have to be the best player on the team. I think with his potential he will end up having more impact on winning than Ja. But thats just personal opinion
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#52 » by MemphisX » Thu May 28, 2020 5:00 am

lordjeff05 wrote:
Crizzle wrote:

My running comp for JJJ is Dirk. I see him blossoming into an elite scorer.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#53 » by Soulyss » Sat May 30, 2020 4:22 pm

Zion's peak is higher, but the body breaks down... Ja wins ROY and has the better, longer career.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#54 » by HotelVitale » Sun Jun 7, 2020 4:27 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Ja is a guard. he's going to be more of a difference maker long term since he's probably going to handling the ball way more than Zion ever will. Zion will have some great years but i think his physical dominance will take a toll on his body long term. barring any injuries though, Ja is more likely a difference maker based on the guard-oriented league where you need elite guards to win the game.

This seems incredibly prescriptive. The difference between a lower level star and a superstar are clear and generally have little to do with some differences of size or position or anything else. One of these players will end up simply being better and obviously more impactful at what they do, and that's what we're trying to talk about here.

Ja may have a little leg up because of position, but I actually think by far Ja's biggest limiting factor is volume--and volume is the only thing that guards/lead initiators have the big advantage with now. I won't elaborate now but I could very easily see Zion being able to carry much more volume than Ja.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#55 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:29 am

sfernald wrote:Or it could be more like the 2008 draft where Derrick Rose breaks himself down to a shadow of himself cause he's a guard and Brook Lopez a 7 footer is still playing strong.

I'm not Derrick Rose's biggest fan by any stretch but at a shadow of his former just had a significantly more productive season than Lopez did. Granted, Lopez got to play with Giannis and coach Bud which helped the total in the win category.
Bucket! Bucket!
Boarman1
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#56 » by Boarman1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:35 pm

Zion is a different breed

The point guard position overflows with talent every year, it's easier to find a good/star level point guard than a star level power forward

Zion also has more potential than Ja

I love Ja Morant and he's going to be a great player, but if we're talking about the next face of the league, Zion is up there for discussion.
J___Av
Junior
And1: 454

Post#57 » by J___Av » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:25 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

Ja is a guard. he's going to be more of a difference maker long term since he's probably going to handling the ball way more than Zion ever will.

Have you ever seen Zion play? Just him being out there doing nothing has a massive positive impact on his team because the other team is always focused on stopping him. His gravity is ridiculous and he is only going to be a bigger impact when his ball handling gets better (right now when he puts the ball on the floor he either blows by everyone or loses it lol). Zion is bringing back old school bully ball and if he stays healthy he will be the better player. Ja being a PG doesn't mean he will be better. I would take prime Shaq over prime Nash any day of the week
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#58 » by drosereturn » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:12 am

Boarman1 wrote:Zion is a different breed

The point guard position overflows with talent every year, it's easier to find a good/star level point guard than a star level power forward

I love Ja Morant and he's going to be a great player, but if we're talking about the next face of the league, Zion is up there for discussion.

Health is 50% of the equation you missed out. Zion could be Griffin 2.0 as impressive as he is.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
ADMVP
Rookie
And1: 817

Post#59 » by ADMVP » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:23 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
Boarman1 wrote:Zion is a different breed

Health is 50% of the equation you missed out. Zion could be Griffin 2.0 as impressive as he is.
Ja could just as easily be Derrick Rose.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
BIGJ1ER
Rookie
And1: 535

Post#60 » by BIGJ1ER » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:53 am

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
sfernald wrote:Or it could be more like the 2008 draft where Derrick Rose breaks himself down to a shadow of himself cause he's a guard and Brook Lopez a 7 footer is still playing strong.

I'm not Derrick Rose's biggest fan by any stretch but at a shadow of his former just had a significantly more productive season than Lopez did. Granted, Lopez got to play with Giannis and coach Bud which helped the total in the win category.

I disagree strongly here, Lopez is in the discussion for DPOY (or atleast should be) and rose is scoring 18ppg on 55%TS with bad defence on a +0.9 on/off while playing against bench units alot.

I'm not high on 2020 rose at all, or really any post injury rose for that matter.
Big Fan of / and (

Return to The General Board