ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NBA General Discussion 2019-20 V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,216

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2019-20 V2.0 

Post#321 » by Dalek » Tue May 5, 2020 11:58 pm

Looks like progress is being made to bring sports back. John Tory was interviewed and there was one interesting nugget that dropped:

The majority of players on the Blue Jays and Raptors are currently outside Canada and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said non-residents entering the country would "at a strict minimum" need to follow quarantine protocols.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/toronto-john-tory-blue-jays-raptors-1.5556857

Whether its Raptors or other teams, how do you meet any minimum quarantine requirements. Normally it is 14 days. And even with returning Raptors that will mean at least 14 days to start. However does this even work with other teams visiting Toronto or Toronto playing away in the US. I feel like the Raptors being in Canada will make this thing impossible.
megalison
Freshman
And1: 71

Post#322 » by megalison » Sun May 10, 2020 4:56 pm

ash_k wrote:
megalison wrote:
The only way this works is if either of the two proposed states (Florida & Nevada) can drastically curb the existing spread of COVID-19. At this point, neither have been successful, and in Florida's case, I only see it getting worse given their premature lifting of shelter-in-place.

May 2 (# of new confirmed cases):
Nevada - 229
Florida - 735

The concept of 'Bubble City' sounds like a great idea, but in practice will be very difficult to manage. It hinges on widespread rapid testing, extensive contact tracing, ridiculously stringent sanitization, and even then, if even one player or staff member contracts the virus, what happens? Do you immediately run another set of tests for every single person involved? Do you shut down the league for 2 weeks? What if it happens again?

This is not even taking into account the existing supply & demand of testing. The US are not even close to where they need to be when it comes to testing capacity. There are major supply chain issues. You know it's bad when Maryland needs to secretly import test kits from South Korea, and then employ the national guard to ensure those kits aren't seized/stolen. From a PR perspective, inevitably you're going to have mainstream media absolutely **** on the NBA for taking a large chunk of testing capacity, given the NBA being a non-essential business.

The only way I see the NBA restarting its season, is if America as a whole gets its together. Based on what we're seeing right now, that is not happening.

The only way this works is if either of the two proposed states (Florida & Nevada) can drastically curb the existing spread of COVID-19. At this point, neither have been successful, and in Florida's case, I only see it getting worse given their premature lifting of shelter-in-place.

Why? The players will have no contact with either Floridians or Nevadans.

Another key point of that bubble city concept is to remove the need of constant testing (in Germany, to resume their soccer league, their players would get tested every 3 days – that’s way too much work due to not enough isolation (i.e Bubble city)

One of the key goals of the bubble city is to remove the need of testing.

The way it would go:
Teams have already been tested. but for the bubble city access, teams/rest will be tested again:
Team/Staff/Rest land in a Transitory location. They all get tested.
All gets tested negative then they have access to B-City. They will have the best testing capabilities to ensure the results (it is NBA, it is pro-sports). The rich and powerful can get tested whenever they like.

Having the NBA on TV will help society as well. I think some are neglecting how important sport is to society. There is a reason why in Italy, Spain and England, despite all the cases and deaths; they want their soccer league back early June.

Bubble city/one highly protected location is much easier to manage than what England and others are proposing to resume their sport leagues.

The act of completely isolating over 1,000 people all within one secluded space and expect not a single soul (inside or out) to interact with the other is idealistic but bound to fail.

Unless they're thinking of enforcing authoritarian-style containment, it isn't happening.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#323 » by Alfred » Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 am

Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#324 » by Alfred » Mon May 11, 2020 5:21 am

I laughed out loud like 5 times during that video, and I love how DeMarcus Cousins has not one, but two of the worst plays of the past 10 years for 2 separate franchises.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#325 » by Kabookalu » Tue May 12, 2020 11:10 am

I'm usually attuned to most of the crazy plays that happens within the league. That's the first time I'm seeing a lot of them, particularly the PJ Tucker, Hassan Whiteside inbounds, and that Wes Matthews lay up. That PJ Tucker one is especially incredible, wtf was that? :lol:
Read on Twitter
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#326 » by lolwut » Wed May 13, 2020 9:54 pm

The Lance Stephenson flex got me :lol:
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#327 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:42 pm

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/is-og-anunoby-the-best-isolation-defender-in-the-nba

The question was first brought up a few months ago on a mailbag episode of Duncan's Dunc'd on Podcast when Duncan said he'd take Anunoby over anyone else in the league. On Wednesday's episode, Bontemps was asked the same question and he agreed.

"He's a mountain of a human being," Bontemps said of Anunoby. "He's 6-(foot)-9 and just a block of granite, I agree with your sentiment... I would say the same thing, he is both big enough and fast enough to guard any wing player in the league. That goes for guys like Kawhi, who are super strong, or LeBron, and he can also guard guys like Jason Tatum, who are quicker. He has just really become a terrific player for them this year. ... To go back to your original (question), if I'm picking one guy to guard in an isolation in the league, I think I'm with you, I'd pick OG because he's so big and strong and quick that I think he can handle just about anything that's thrown his way."
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#328 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:42 pm

Alfred wrote:I laughed out loud like 5 times during that video, and I love how DeMarcus Cousins has not one, but two of the worst plays of the past 10 years for 2 separate franchises.

same with McGee :lol:
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,790

Post#329 » by Johnny Bball » Thu May 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Slam Magazine: Gilbert on partying, and on Nick Young falling in love with the wrong girls and what he would do. This is definitely NSFW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=453&v=ZdoAAAvh4LM&feature=emb_logo

https://brobible.com/sports/article/gilbert-arenas-nick-young-wizards-sleep-with-thot/
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#330 » by Kevin Willis » Sat May 16, 2020 7:19 pm

Never understood how great this guy was.

Ska needs to make a comeback.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#331 » by Psubs » Fri May 22, 2020 11:47 pm

Is Danny Ainge overrated as a GM?

Has he hit on any picks outside of the top 10? He got Kemba but let go of Horford, Rozier and Baynes. Their bench isn't great.
The Warrior
Head Coach
And1: 10,106

Post#332 » by The Warrior » Tue May 26, 2020 4:51 pm

This is ludicrous.

Read on Twitter
The Warrior
Head Coach
And1: 10,106

Post#333 » by The Warrior » Tue May 26, 2020 5:03 pm

Psubs wrote:Is Danny Ainge overrated as a GM?

Has he hit on any picks outside of the top 10? He got Kemba but let go of Horford, Rozier and Baynes. Their bench isn't great.

I would say he's good at stockpiling assets (some that are above average), but he overvalues what he has and doesn't cash it in when he has the chance which causes his assets to devalue. So yes he's overrated lol.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Post#334 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 29, 2020 3:37 am

I feel like Ainge went all in on Kyrie and just got burned by his massive ego and health problems. For a few years my theory was Ainge's whole plan was built around getting Davis, hence stocking all the assets to outbid everyone. After the Warriors were done the balance of power was going to shift to players like Davis so getting him would have been significant. Kyrie on paper would've been one of the best superfriend matches for Davis as he is an ultra popular player with his peers, drafted a year before, Nike/Team USA/etc. But Kyrie ruined it by being the most toxic player in the league, plus bad knees.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#335 » by Psubs » Mon Jun 8, 2020 3:12 am

The Warrior wrote:

I would say he's good at stockpiling assets (some that are above average), but he overvalues what he has and doesn't cash it in when he has the chance which causes his assets to devalue. So yes he's overrated lol.

Anyone can throw out 3 1st round picks for a star. But Ainge hasn't been able to draft well for a supporting bench.

Langford, Grant Williams, Robert Williams, Semi Ojeleye, Guerschon Yabusele and Carsen Edwards. None are any better than TD, McCaw and Boucher.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#336 » by Psubs » Mon Jun 8, 2020 8:04 pm

The Warrior wrote:This is ludicrous.

Read on Twitter

That backyard backing on the ravine! :reporter:
Psubs
RealGM

Post#337 » by Psubs » Tue Jun 9, 2020 2:34 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:

I feel like Ainge went all in on Kyrie and just got burned by his massive ego and health problems. For a few years my theory was Ainge's whole plan was built around getting Davis, hence stocking all the assets to outbid everyone. After the Warriors were done the balance of power was going to shift to players like Davis so getting him would have been significant. Kyrie on paper would've been one of the best superfriend matches for Davis as he is an ultra popular player with his peers, drafted a year before, Nike/Team USA/etc. But Kyrie ruined it by being the most toxic player in the league, plus bad knees.

The Celtics will have #17, 26 and 30 in this draft. Lets see if he whiffs on these. :lol:
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,875

Post#338 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:54 am

Read on Twitter

Such a desperate franchise loool
Giannis leaving for sure
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#339 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:03 pm

Sad that we never got to see him play his full career and that he never had a chance to shine in the playoffs on a good team. My friend was talking about how much he liked him. He could have made the 50-40-90 club. We lost two real ones in him and Bias.

Kevin Willis wrote:
Spoiler:

edit: my post not formatting right so I put my comments first.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,216

Post#340 » by niQ » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:53 pm

bballsparkin wrote:Sad that we never got to see him play his full career and that he never had a chance to shine in the playoffs on a good team. My friend was talking about how much he liked him. He could have made the 50-40-90 club. We lost two real ones in him and Bias.

Kevin Willis wrote:
Spoiler:

edit: my post not formatting right so I put my comments first.

I think it's fixed now. Looks like the spoiler tag was placed after the quote tag and it messed up the site formatting.

Return to Toronto Raptors