Vic's Contract Situation

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

pacerfan1984
Ballboy
And1: 16

Vic's Contract Situation 

Post#1 » by pacerfan1984 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:53 pm

Does anyone have any insight on Vic's contract situation Read a report that I didn't believe that stated the Pacers offered Vic 4 years at $80 million. I do know the Pacers can only give him a 25% raise.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Re: Vic's Contract Situation 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 11, 2020 8:27 pm

pacerfan1984 wrote:Does anyone have any insight on Vic's contract situation Read a report that I didn't believe that stated the Pacers offered Vic 4 years at $80 million. I do know the Pacers can only give him a 25% raise.

Yes. At this point, without hitting free agency, any extension is limited to only a 20% raise on the final year salary, and then the maximum raise from year to year is 7.5% (based on the first year of the new deal). This would be the same restriction for us now, or any other team he would hypothetically be traded to.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,302

Post#3 » by boomershadow » Mon May 11, 2020 9:15 pm

It's a tough issue from a non basketball standpoint just because of how much VO has meant to the team the last few years.

But coming off such a bad injury, how much more than 20 per year do you really want to offer him? Does it make sense to give him a max contract? It might, but the injury history combined with his career that has only really had one tremendous year along with a number of mediocre years in his career gives me some amount of pause.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Mon May 11, 2020 9:32 pm

boomershadow wrote:It's a tough issue from a non basketball standpoint just because of how much VO has meant to the team the last few years.

But coming off such a bad injury, how much more than 20 per year do you really want to offer him? Does it make sense to give him a max contract? It might, but the injury history combined with his career that has only really had one tremendous year along with a number of mediocre years in his career gives me some amount of pause.

Yeah it's a tough situation all around. Odds seem to be he will bet on himself and we will get (hopefully) a year to evaluate.

Obviously it would be awful for a multitude of reasons if he just never is the same and has lingering injury concerns, but at the very least we know he will still bring some good to the team as a leader. It's the same reason I'm fine with the Brogdon gamble even with his health as well. At least both bring things off the court as opposed to a lot of the guys we've handed money to in the past (Hibbert, PG, Lance, Monta, Stuckey, etc.).
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 12, 2020 1:17 am

I’d feel comfortable offering him a maximum extension with no fears, which would be a 4 year extension of just under $113m total. Yearly, $25.2m, $27.2m, $29.2m, and $31.2m. Vic’s the kind of competitive worker that I’m quite comfortable he’ll do everything possible to rebuild himself back to what he was, and better, as we started to see before the season was delayed. He’s a perfect fit for the team we’ve started assembling, and one of the best ticket sales tools we’ll possibly find anywhere around the league (realistically) at this time.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 12, 2020 6:39 pm

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2020/05/11/pacers-victor-oladipo-isnt-going-anywhere-anytime-soon/3110569001/

There's a LOT packed into this article.

Based on the reporting and the insistence that Oladipo was only eligible for a 3 year extension, we can infer that if an offer was to have been made, it would have been before the league year rolled over, so, before June 30 (the moratorium runs from July 1 until the books are audited), when Oladipo was still fully in his rehab with no idea how he'd recover.

The Indiana Pacers are ready to do whatever it takes to work out a new contract with their All-Star guard when his current deal expires after the 2020-21 season, though Oladipo could also choose to become an unrestricted free agent.

Oladipo will not be shopped in the trade market, according to the source.

Another league source told IndyStar that the a key player from the Wizards had a sit-down with someone close to Turner to express their interest directly in the rim-protecting, 3-point shooting big man.

Turner’s representation, another league source told IndyStar, didn’t take any of the overtures seriously because the Pacers weren’t looking to move the center.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#7 » by Wizop » Wed May 13, 2020 1:26 pm

I have the sense that the Pacers have offered the highest extension possible and Vic has turned it down thinking he will get more negotiating later when the extension limits do not apply. If so, I think he is taking a Covid-19 cap risk that he may not realize. A max contract down the road could be much lower than it is today if the league revenue falls significantly. A player opt on clause could be his best approach.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 13, 2020 6:01 pm

Wizop wrote:I have the sense that the Pacers have offered the highest extension possible and Vic has turned it down thinking he will get more negotiating later when the extension limits do not apply. If so, I think he is taking a Covid-19 cap risk that he may not realize. A max contract down the road could be much lower than it is today if the league revenue falls significantly. A player opt on clause could be his best approach.

Most likely a max contract when he hits free agency would still be more than the 4/$113m~ maximum extension we could offer, even with some cap drop, as he'd be eligible for a larger percentage of the cap than his extension would offer.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 14, 2020 4:56 pm

https://t.co/8Y8JV2jdy0?amp=1

J.Michael from the IndyStar killing it lately. This newest post has all the possible contractual details of extension versus waiting for free agency, and then this bombshell:

Oladipo not only likes being here, but he has what’s been characterized as a solid, “open door” relationship with president Kevin Pritchard and GM Chad Buchanan. There are no mysteries. No confusion. This is true on both sides.

>> The Pacers already made it clear that they’re willing to give him a max contract when his current deal expires in 2021. Oladipo isn’t just a player, but a brand that owner Herb Simon covets for a franchise that has trouble attractive big-name free agents. There aren’t too many players out there who could be better fits in terms of talent, demeanor and connection with this fan base, which is uniquely Indiana.

Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#10 » by Tom White » Thu May 14, 2020 8:51 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:https://t.co/8Y8JV2jdy0?amp=1

J.Michael from the IndyStar killing it lately. This newest post has all the possible contractual details of extension versus waiting for free agency, and then this bombshell:

Oladipo not only likes being here, but he has what’s been characterized as a solid, “open door” relationship with president Kevin Pritchard and GM Chad Buchanan. There are no mysteries. No confusion. This is true on both sides.

>> The Pacers already made it clear that they’re willing to give him a max contract when his current deal expires in 2021. Oladipo isn’t just a player, but a brand that owner Herb Simon covets for a franchise that has trouble attractive big-name free agents. There aren’t too many players out there who could be better fits in terms of talent, demeanor and connection with this fan base, which is uniquely Indiana.

I think we get more out of those two, short paragraphs than we get from many much longer articles.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#11 » by Wizop » Fri May 15, 2020 12:56 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Most likely a max contract when he hits free agency would still be more than the 4/$113m~ maximum extension we could offer, even with some cap drop, as he'd be eligible for a larger percentage of the cap than his extension would offer.

if you were he, would you take the risk that the cap wouldn't lower so much that the extension would be a better deal? say the cap is cut in half - I doubt his percentage would more than double. obviously the details are unknown but he should think about this risk.

saving a slot, JMichael is a good person to follow on twitter although he doesn't reply to comments.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 15, 2020 12:59 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Most likely a max contract when he hits free agency would still be more than the 4/$113m~ maximum extension we could offer, even with some cap drop, as he'd be eligible for a larger percentage of the cap than his extension would offer.

if you were he, would you take the risk that the cap wouldn't lower so much that the extension would be a better deal? say the cap is cut in half - I doubt his percentage would more than double. obviously the details are unknown but he should think about this risk.

saving a slot, JMichael is a good person to follow on twitter although he doesn't reply to comments.

We’re nowhere near the cap cutting in half next year, and for the cap to be half when Oladipo hits free agency, , we’d have to lose roughly 3/4 of next season in addition.

Otherwise, if the extension is the better deal, he can sign it up until the day before his contract expires, so June 30th of 2021. We’ll all have a good idea where we’re at fiscally by then.

As for J Michael on Twitter, he doesn’t quite interact like a Stephen Holder, but I have direct messages with him before and he was quite kind. He does strike me as someone that does his job and then is off the clock. A bit old school if you will.

Return to Indiana Pacers