China TV Releases Statement NBA Games Still Won't Be Aired

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

China TV Releases Statement NBA Games Still Won't Be Aired 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 12, 2020 4:08 pm

China's CCTV said on Tuesday it has no intention of resuming the airing of NBA games once the season resumes.

The relationship between the NBA and China remains icy following Daryl Morey's tweet in support of Hong Kong last fall.

The NBA on Monday named Michael Ma as the new CEO of NBA China. Ma's father, Ma Guoli, is regarded as the father of CCTV Sports.

The hiring of Michael Ma led to speculation that the NBA's relationship with China would improve.

CCTV shut down that speculation, releasing a statement to the Global Times, a state-backed English language newspaper in Beijing, "reiterating its consistent stance on national sovereignty."

Adam Silver said in February that the league had lost more than $300 million in revenue from China in the wake of the controversy.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 203

Re: China TV Releases Statement NBA Games Still Won't Be Aired 

Post#2 » by RipCityKJ » Tue May 12, 2020 4:24 pm

Ok then how about a ban on Chinese born players playing in the NBA and if any player who ever plays for the Chinese league can’t be reinstated into the NBA? If they want to play hostage to their market let them, two can play that game! This is a freedom of speech issue not a corporate money hungry one, I mean how stupid is all of this over a tweet that stood for human rights!
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#3 » by Elnegron » Tue May 12, 2020 4:26 pm

The NBA the slave of china. China is slowly infiltrating into NBA by forcing silver to hire the jinping yes men. Wtf is going on?
Raptors Realtor
Veteran
And1: 2,851

Post#4 » by Raptors Realtor » Tue May 12, 2020 4:44 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:Ok then how about a ban on Chinese born players playing in the NBA and if any player who ever plays for the Chinese league can’t be reinstated into the NBA? If they want to play hostage to their market let them, two can play that game! This is a freedom of speech issue not a corporate money hungry one, I mean how stupid is all of this over a tweet that stood for human rights!

Although it is petty by China to take this action over an nba executive's tweet, the nba can't ban Chinese players because that would be considered discrimination. Not to mention, it wouldn't be the player's fault that his country which is communist-led has taken these actions. Also, how many Chinese players outside of Yao Ming have had a successful and/or fairly lengthy nba career?... There are more north Americans employed in the cba, then there are Chinese players in the nba.
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#5 » by SAKURABA216 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:51 pm

You would think China would be on some sort of goodwill tour after misleading the world over the coronavirus, but instead they are unapologetically $hitty as always. I wouldn't punish Chinese born potential NBA players since there would likely be a similar retaliation against American born players in China, which there is significantly more of. NBA should stand their ground, but considering how much money the league is losing from this I would expect Morey to be fired in next year or so.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#6 » by red96 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:52 pm

CCP's lax regulations has lead to multiple viruses that have negatively impacted the entire world, and their deceitful practices has made it even worse. I wish the nba would cut all ties.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
TheAlanParsons
Junior
And1: 240

Post#7 » by TheAlanParsons » Tue May 12, 2020 5:03 pm

China can go to Hell.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,190

Post#8 » by King4Day » Tue May 12, 2020 5:14 pm

I have a feeling this will blow over come next season. The hiring is probably intended as a fresh start after this particular season.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#9 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue May 12, 2020 5:25 pm

**** China
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#10 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue May 12, 2020 5:36 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:Ok then how about a ban on Chinese born players playing in the NBA and if any player who ever plays for the Chinese league can’t be reinstated into the NBA? If they want to play hostage to their market let them, two can play that game! This is a freedom of speech issue not a corporate money hungry one, I mean how stupid is all of this over a tweet that stood for human rights!

Because sadly there's a growing number of people who side with country's like China and who support Communism and thus would cry and scream racism like they do everything else that disagrees with them. This very post will solicit a triggered response but I agree with you.
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#11 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue May 12, 2020 5:40 pm

SAKURABA216 wrote:You would think China would be on some sort of goodwill tour after misleading the world over the coronavirus, but instead they are unapologetically $hitty as always. I wouldn't punish Chinese born potential NBA players since there would likely be a similar retaliation against American born players in China, which there is significantly more of. NBA should stand their ground, but considering how much money the league is losing from this I would expect Morey to be fired in next year or so.

Its crazy how China's oppression can impact a US citizen. I don't think missing out on any Chinese players will really impact the quality of the game. When was the last time we saw an impactful Chinese player? Yao? If I were an American player Id do everything in my power to come home asap.
#2A
#Adopt
Renegade
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#12 » by Renegade » Tue May 12, 2020 6:06 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:

Because sadly there's a growing number of people who side with country's like China and who support Communism and thus would cry and scream racism like they do everything else that disagrees with them. This very post will solicit a triggered response but I agree with you.

China certainly is a dictatorship that sprung from a Marxist beginning. But their economy is so far removed from the concepts of communism it's ridiculous.
mccluskey
Pro Prospect
And1: 620

Post#13 » by mccluskey » Tue May 12, 2020 6:14 pm

funny how things work out when you put your sports league in bed with an oppressive, racist Marxist-Leninist totalitarian dictatorship in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

hey but keep on shilling hard for that Chinese viewership LeBron!
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,076

Post#14 » by CIN-C-STAR » Tue May 12, 2020 6:21 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:

Although it is petty by China to take this action over an nba executive's tweet, the nba can't ban Chinese born players because that would be considered racial discrimination. Not to mention, it wouldn't be the player's fault that his country which is communist-led has taken these actions. Also, how many Chinese born players outside of Yao Ming have had a successful and/or fairly lengthy nba career?... There are more north Americans employed in the cba, then there are Chinese born players in the nba.

Being Chinese is a nationality, not a race.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#15 » by PDXKnight » Tue May 12, 2020 6:37 pm

China really wants to exert their authority over all things American and its sickening

Ultimately China is a growing economy so they might have more say in the future but we don’t have to give them our dollars/euros..
Raptors Realtor
Veteran
And1: 2,851

Post#16 » by Raptors Realtor » Tue May 12, 2020 7:34 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:

Although it is petty by China to take this action over an nba executive's tweet, the nba can't ban Chinese born players because that would be considered racial discrimination. Not to mention, it wouldn't be the player's fault that his country which is communist-led has taken these actions. Also, how many Chinese born players outside of Yao Ming have had a successful and/or fairly lengthy nba career?... There are more north Americans employed in the cba, then there are Chinese born players in the nba.

Being Chinese is a nationality, not a race.

Yes, my bad. Fixed.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,131

Post#17 » by druggas » Tue May 12, 2020 7:57 pm

Hit China in the pocket book by not buying anything made in China.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,076

Post#18 » by CIN-C-STAR » Tue May 12, 2020 8:00 pm

druggas wrote:Hit China in the pocket book by not buying anything made in China.

We all need to be rocking New Balance for real.
Only thing China will respond to is a loss of money.
And even then it will take a lot. In fact they laugh at us and how easily controlled they believe we are by money (and they aren't wrong, sadly).
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#19 » by popfan » Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 pm

Months ago, the Rockets owner, doing his best impersonation of Donald Sterling, verbally slammed the Chinese with an unprovoked remark. Meanwhile Mark Cuban continues to publicly serve the Trump administration. Lastly Trump seems determined to spark a war with China. What a mess the Nazi elite are making.

Meanwhile China was unprovoked by the recent drum beating from the Australian+German+US governments. China's response was to mock us in a recently released video from their government; they are not confused.

A third of a billion dollars is a lot of money to toss away. Rather than hire Ma, perhaps the NBA should 1) pull the Rockets franchise from its insolvent Texan owner, 2) put a muzzle on its other Texan owner (Cuban), and 3) de-couple itself from Trump. In doing so, it could earn $300M. Then the NBA owners wouldn't suffer so much, as the commish wishes us to believe. Yet the NBA owners seems more committed to their extreme political agenda than to capitalism.
KrAzY3
Starter
And1: 2,514

Post#20 » by KrAzY3 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:16 pm

popfan wrote:Months ago, the Rockets owner, doing his best impersonation of Donald Sterling, verbally slammed the Chinese with an unprovoked remark. Meanwhile Mark Cuban continues to publicly serve the Trump administration. Lastly Trump seems determined to spark a war with China. What a mess the Nazi elite are making.

Meanwhile China was unprovoked by the recent drum beating from the Australian+German+US governments. China's response was to mock us in a recently released video from their government; they are not confused.

A third of a billion dollars is a lot of money to toss away. Rather than hire Ma, perhaps the NBA should 1) pull the Rockets franchise from its insolvent Texan owner, 2) put a muzzle on its other Texan owner (Cuban), and 3) de-couple itself from Trump. In doing so, it could earn $300M. Then the NBA owners wouldn't suffer so much, as the commish wishes us to believe. Yet the NBA owners seems more committed to their extreme political agenda than to capitalism.

Is this satire? It has to be satire right?

China looked terrible after their handling of this NBA issue, and now they look really, really bad having covered up the coronavirus and in doing so helped it spread.

Return to Wiretap Discussion