ImageImage

Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What would you like to see the Hawks do with the #6 pick?

Trade the Pick for a vet
17%
Trade into the top 3
27%
Trade for later/future picks
13%
Draft Best Player Available
13%
Draft TYRESE HALIBURTON
10%
Draft ONYEKA OKONGWU
10%
Draft ISAAC OKORO
No votes
Draft KILLIAN HAYES
10%

Total votes: 30

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#481 » by HMFFL » Tue May 12, 2020 1:03 am

2020 NBA Mock Draft: Georgia's Anthony Edwards is top pick in tight battle with several players for No. 1

Anthony Edwards

Obi Toppin

LaMelo Ball

Onyeka Okongwu

Killian Hayes

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-georgias-anthony-edwards-is-top-pick-in-tight-battle-with-several-players-for-no-1/amp/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#482 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:02 pm

I think the Hawks should go after Edwards or a big in the first round. In the 2nd round the Hawks should go after a backup PG. Teague has been great as a vet backup but the Hawks should also look to the future for Trea's backup.

Markus Howard would be my choice for Trae's backup. He is a proven senior who is high volume but also high efficiency. His height will take him from a first round talent to a second round talent but in the new era of the NBA were height is less important and shooting is a premium, Howard can become an elite 6th man. Markus can be 2020's Chris Clemons.

Cassius Winston would be my second choice. He is not super athletic but he has a very high IQ. He is solid all around and a great floor general. He reminds me of Chris Duhon.

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#483 » by King Ken » Tue May 12, 2020 2:27 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I think the Hawks should go after Edwards or a big in the first round. In the 2nd round the Hawks should go after a backup PG. Teague has been great as a vet backup but the Hawks should also look to the future for Trea's backup.

Markus Howard would be my choice for Trae's backup. He is a proven senior who is high volume but also high efficiency. His height will take him from a first round talent to a second round talent but in the new era of the NBA were height is less important and shooting is a premium, Howard can become an elite 6th man. Markus can be 2020's Chris Clemons.

Cassius Winston would be my second choice. He is not super athletic but he has a very high IQ. He is solid all around and a great floor general. He reminds me of Chris Duhon.

Not sure about agree about going big if Edwards is gone but I 100% agree with what we should do with the 2nd rounder. I think we should move up and buy a pick to get the backup PG of the future and keep Teague for at least one more season
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#484 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 13, 2020 12:50 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#485 » by shakes0 » Wed May 13, 2020 2:01 pm

this is the craziest draft I ever remember. The lack of basketball to finish the season has caused a ridiculous amount of uncertainty. I've never seen so many prospects that have a range of 15 spots depending on who's Big Board you are looking at that day. It's not uncommon to see several players ranked very high in one poll only to see some of those same players in the late teens in a different big board.

I've seen Wiseman has high as #1 and I've seen him listed in the early 20's as well. Similar gaps exist for guys like Hayes, Anthony, Demi, Edwards, Haliburton, Okoro and pretty much everyone else. It's crazy.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#486 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 13, 2020 2:12 pm

shakes0 wrote:this is the craziest draft I ever remember. The lack of basketball to finish the season has caused a ridiculous amount of uncertainty. I've never seen so many prospects that have a range of 15 spots depending on who's Big Board you are looking at that day. It's not uncommon to see several players ranked very high in one poll only to see some of those same players in the late teens in a different big board.

It really is.

CRaziest part for me is how rankings are still changing so drastically despite no games, interviews, or workouts currently taking place.

You'd think the rankings would be pretty static. (It could just be click bait, admittedly)
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#487 » by shakes0 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:14 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
shakes0 wrote:this is the craziest draft I ever remember. The lack of basketball to finish the season has caused a ridiculous amount of uncertainty. I've never seen so many prospects that have a range of 15 spots depending on who's Big Board you are looking at that day. It's not uncommon to see several players ranked very high in one poll only to see some of those same players in the late teens in a different big board.

It really is.

CRaziest part for me is how rankings are still changing so drastically despite no games, interviews, or workouts currently taking place.

You'd think the rankings would be pretty static. (It could just be click bait, admittedly)

that's a great point. How do these rankings keep changing like this? Hayes must be kicking ass on Zoom these days or maybe he's had some nice Tik Tok videos?
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#488 » by kg01 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:40 pm

shakes0 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

It really is.

that's a great point. How do these rankings keep changing like this? Hayes must be kicking ass on Zoom these days or maybe he's had some nice Tik Tok videos?

Haha, I can hear the scouts now ... "Yeah Haliburton had some rando walking in the background during our Zoom meeting. And was that a toilet flushing? I'm grading him down a peg."
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#489 » by jayu70 » Wed May 13, 2020 6:43 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

It really is.

The 'Rankers' are searching for content hence the variations - too much idle time on their hands.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#490 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 13, 2020 10:51 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Post#491 » by HMFFL » Thu May 14, 2020 4:59 pm

LaVar Ball now has said for a second time he’d like his son, LaMelo Ball, to wind up a Knick. On the “Load Management” podcast Wednesday, Ball also stated he’s certain his youngest son will be considered for the No. 1 pick in the 2020 NBA Draft.

– via Marc Berman @ New York Post

Draft, LaVar Ball, LaMelo Ball, New York Knicks

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#492 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 14, 2020 10:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#493 » by Spud2nique » Sat May 16, 2020 3:21 pm

Some scouting reports says Wiseman is soft. Any truth to this? I watch film on him and I don’t see it. He’s one of the biggest guys in the draft and I actually see some physicality in his game.

To me he’s a hybrid of Dwight and Bosh. He’s got a nice looking (not sure if it’s effective) jumper, but some other areas of his game is Dwightish to me.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#494 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 16, 2020 5:53 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Some scouting reports says Wiseman is soft. Any truth to this? I watch film on him and I don’t see it. He’s one of the biggest guys in the draft and I actually see some physicality in his game.

What video are you watching? His HS film or the 3 NCAA games he played in?
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#495 » by Spud2nique » Sat May 16, 2020 9:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:Some scouting reports says Wiseman is soft. Any truth to this? I watch film on him and I don’t see it. He’s one of the biggest guys in the draft and I actually see some physicality in his game.

What video are you watching? His HS film or the 3 NCAA games he played in?

Mainly high school. I just keeping reading that he’s soft.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#496 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 17, 2020 1:53 pm

2020 NBA Draft: Top 3 players for Atlanta Hawks to select with 1st round pick

1. Killian Hayes- 6″5 Guard – ULM (France)

Drafting Hayes would be a home run for Atlanta.

The 6″5 can do numerous things well. He is a great ball-handler and has the size and strength to bully smaller defenders and hold his own with bigger players. He can shoot well off the dribble and while his catch and shoot numbers are questionable, it will definitely improve as he develops. He will be able to run the pick and roll well with Capela or John Collins. As Hayes has the ability to finish through traffic, make free throws at a consistent clip, has an excellent passing vision and can hit the roller rather it be Collins or Capela.

Another reason this is the perfect pick is that not only could he be a perfect backcourt mate with Young, but he can take less pressure off of Young by being able to take over ball-handling duties when Young goes out.

Hayes projects most like Manu Ginobili as he has a Ginobili-esque layup package and could be able to shoot just as well as Ginobili. If Atlanta is able to acquire Killian Hayes, both he and Young could become a nightmarish duo for years to come.
Busting Brackets
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#497 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 17, 2020 2:06 pm

Any thoughts on this kid? The 4th year Senior from Charleston seems likely to develop into a Fred Van Vleet, Devonte Graham, Jalen Brunson caliber draft steal.

The Case For Grant Riller

let’s talk about Grant Riller, who is one of the most talented offensive players in this class.

Riller is one of the most the talented offensive players in the country and is able to score in a variety of ways. He has very few flaws on the offensive end. He’s a 3 level scorer who can self-create by shooting off-the-dribble, or he can spot up on the perimeter. He’s also a really good athlete who can use his athleticism and strength to get into the lane and finish through contact with either hand. Finally, he’s an underrated passer who has shown improvements each year and his scoring gravity opens up passing lanes as well. Below is a picture of his offensive profile on Synergy.

Riller has amazing touch around the basket and has consistently been one of the best finishers in college over the last couple of years. As you can see in the graphic below, he was one of the most productive players in the country at finishing around the basket and on runners.

Something that differentiates Riller from the other top guards in this class is his ability to put pressure on the rim by getting into the paint consistently and finishing through contact. Here is how he compares to the rest of the college point guards or combo guards that are currently projected to go in the first round.

Around Basket (not Post-Ups)

Riller does a great job at using his handles, athleticism, and strength to get into the paint and finish through contact. He does a great job at absorbing contact while maintaining body control instead of shying away from the contact. He’s also comfortable finishing with both hands (left hand finishes in PnR section).

While Riller is most likely someone who will be playing on the ball a majority of the time, he has been a very good spot up shooter throughout his college career. His ability to spot up and knock down shots from the perimeter will give whichever team drafts him some lineup flexibility and it allows him to earn more minutes next to other ballhandlers.

While Riller is currently ranked #43 on ESPN’s ‘Top 100 Rankings’, I think he is comfortably a first round prospect, and probably even a lottery level prospect in this class. Riller is able to get what he wants on that end is because he’s a quick, explosive athlete with one of the best first steps in the class. He has shown the ability to blow by a defender just from his first step alone on multiple occasions.
The Stepien
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#498 » by Spud2nique » Mon May 18, 2020 5:34 pm

If we trade down to #9-14, back end of lottery, I’m liking Devin Vassell and Aaron Nesmith. Some shooting wangers! :nod: You know me and kg would sit in the cul de from time to time with a beer (light for him) and talk about Wangs all day! Look it’s the era of Wangs. Either join the want movement or eat it all like the cone says! :wink:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#499 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 18, 2020 11:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#500 » by Spud2nique » Tue May 19, 2020 5:26 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Okongwu! He could be like the Garnett of the 95 draft. Slips a bit to the 5th pick but becomes the best player. I’m not saying Obi is Joe Smith.. :o am I?

Return to Atlanta Hawks