Kyrie
CP3
Siakim

Porzingas
Simmons
Beal
Tatum/Kemba
DLo/Mitchell

So we got two wolves on my rankings with Dlo at 25 and Kat at 16. I believe the Timberwolves will make the playoffs next year.

What’s your rankings?
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Re: Current Top 25 NBA Players Rankings: 

Post#2 » by KGdaBom » Fri May 15, 2020 4:44 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:Here’s My Top 25 Best Current #NBA  Players Rankings:

Kawhi
Lebron
Giannis
KD
Curry
Harden
AD
Embiid
Jokic
PG13

Luka
Dame
Russ
Klay
Butler
Towns
Gobert
Kyrie
CP3
Siakim

Porzingas
Simmons
Beal
Tatum/Kemba
DLo/Mitchell

So we got two wolves on my rankings with Dlo at 25 and Kat at 16. I believe the Timberwolves will make the playoffs next year.

What’s your rankings?

I like your way of thinking, but D-Lo top 25 is a stretch.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#3 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:02 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

Kawhi
Lebron
Giannis
KD
Curry
Harden
AD
Embiid
Jokic
PG13

Luka
Dame
Russ
Klay
Butler
Towns
Gobert
Kyrie
CP3
Siakim

Porzingas
Simmons
Beal
Tatum/Kemba
DLo/Mitchell

What’s your rankings?

Is it really? He led the Nets to the playoffs as their lead guy and is a former all star.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#4 » by KGdaBom » Sat May 16, 2020 12:30 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Kawhi
Lebron
Giannis
KD
Curry
Harden
AD
Embiid
Jokic
PG13

Luka
Dame
Russ
Klay
Butler
Towns
Gobert
Kyrie
CP3
Siakim

Porzingas
Simmons
Beal
Tatum/Kemba
DLo/Mitchell

What’s your rankings?

Is it really? He led the Nets to the playoffs as their lead guy and is a former all star.

Led team to the playoffs barely in the east. Not much of an accomplishment. Alternate all star in the east. Only made all star because somebody else didn't want to play. IF he ever makes an All Star game as an actual all star I will consider the possibility that he is top 25. I hope he does, but I would bet against him ever being a legit all star in the west.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#5 » by andyhop » Sat May 16, 2020 1:35 am

My rule of thumb is that if your argument is based on " he was an All Star" you automatically lose
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,598

Post#6 » by shrink » Sat May 16, 2020 4:50 am

KGdaBom wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I like your way of thinking, but D-Lo top 25 is a stretch.

Led team to the playoffs barely in the east. Not much of an accomplishment. Alternate all star in the east. Only made all star because somebody else didn't want to play. IF he ever makes an All Star game as an actual all star I will consider the possibility that he is top 25. I hope he does, but I would bet against him ever being a legit all star in the west.

I agree. Nobody talks about him leading the Warriors to the playoffs, or making the All Star team in the West last year.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#7 » by Jedzz » Sat May 16, 2020 3:50 pm

What constitutes a top 25 player. Could that question ever be answered?

I'm a fan of shooters and shooters who play a team game, not just black hole personal stat builders. Defense is soft second. it's a personal opinion. The game is about getting the ball through the basket and playing with a team. Aside from that I can't answer the question of who are the top 25 because it is a team game. I'm probably a proponent of ranking players by position or role across the league. Each position/role having a top 10 or top 25. Still don't have the time to figure it out.

I look at Cleaning The Glass every now and then and am often surprised by what I see. For instance. If I filter for Point Guards this past season, then sort by Points Per Shot Attempt, I get the following:

This tells me in order that
1. Walton Jr
2. Lillard
3. McLaughlin
4. Paul
5. Simmons
- are the top point guards for points scored per 100 shot attempts. Walton jr. barely played(180 mins) so take what you will from that. Maybe he's not played enough. Maybe that's too low of minutes to assess. McLaughlin only played 30 games, so he averaged over 19 mins a game. That's nothing to snif at. He was tested and these are the results.

But Look at these other names. Three of them are not surprising. These players score or draw fouls and still score per 100 shot attempts better than all others. The other name that may surprise you is Jordan McLaughlin. Ask some people and they can't wait to bury his minutes behind someone new. They would never place him in top 25 lists. But I see Dame in those lists. I see Simmons making one of those lists. Chris Paul made the list.

Look further at that list.
JMac at 96th percentile of PSA, 96th persnetile at Assist to Usage, 63rd percentile on TOV%
Of the four players there that played decent minutes per game, the only two players with two ranks above 90% percentile are Dame and Jordan McLaughlin, and Dame's second ranking above 90% percentile is plain old Usage.

Who's shown better on this list for point guards in scoring and assists per usage? Really no one. Unless you believe Walton's 10 mins/g on 11 games is a great enough test then you must annoint the best point guard on this list as who? I'll let you answer that.

Let's look at that Usage ranking another way. McLaughlin is low on this. But to me this is more about coaching and what the coach was trying to do for a good 50% of Jordan's time played last year. He did often fill in as the second guard on the floor with others having the focus on purpose. The other half of the time due to injuries he was the sole point on the floor. I think this shows in the difference of usage numbers if we sort to the bottom percentile of Usage.

Here we see some names we know. (Walton Jr. again) Patrick Beverly, Kris Dunn, Frank Ntilikina, and McLaughlin.
Only here we see Beverley/Dunn/Ntilikina all having more than twice the minutes of JMac, but lower usage numbers. These guys all had shortened seasons as well, 38-55 games. I think this maybe shows that JMac is more involved in the offense than these types of players that frequent the low Usage stat basement and how if JMac's minutes were much higher, and his coach stopped trying experiments with others at point while he's out there, that JMac even in usage percentile would be way higher.

Just an example. How do we rate the top 25? If we go by what they recently showed us with their play, and we ranked by position or role, than I have JMac very high on my Point list.

Would we be surprised if we looked at the other roles?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves