RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#601 » by Prokorov » Thu May 7, 2020 10:42 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:thibs seems extremely unlikely. he is not a star friendly coach

D'antoni is more that, but he wants too much input on offensive style

ty lue or mike brown make much more sense

I like D'Antoni more, but why is Thibs not a star friendly coach? He had very good relationships with Butler & Rose. He was an assistant coach on Team USA. What makes him not star friendly?

he wants guys to defend and he wants things done his way. the nets need a manager, not a coach
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#602 » by TheNetsFan » Fri May 8, 2020 2:33 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Do you guys think we're kind of at a disadvantage here in terms of the season restarting? I doubt Cuomo is going to allow the Nets and Knicks to open up training facilities (nor should he, it's still too soon). The Nets will need to relocate the team and training staff to an isolated location.

I need to see what the NBA's plan is. One player getting sick will derail everything. Personally, on the human side, I feel like pushing players back out to play while the infection numbers and deaths are still climbing is a horrific idea. I would have cancelled the season.

Also, if we do get the season resumption, do we see KD and Kyrie suit up? Both are 100% now. I see no reason for them not to play if the conditions are safe enough for play to resume.

I don't think so. It's going to be similar to teams getting in pre-season work in elsewhere. That's a normal occurrence. Plus, given the rehab loophole that Harris mentioned, where players that were rehabbing were still able to go to the training facility to work 1 on 1 with trainers, we can assume that KD, Kyrie & Harris have all been able to workout with a trainer at HSS. It may also be safer to be isolated away from home while working back into shape.

I also don't think it's an issue of the NBA pushing players back. Players get 50% of BRI. The more BRI falls, the less money they will get this year, and the lower the cap will be next year. In a point of time where there's an abundance of streaming entertainment options, you also run the risk of interest of casual fans in the league waning after an extended absence.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#603 » by MGrand15 » Fri May 8, 2020 8:45 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Do you guys think we're kind of at a disadvantage here in terms of the season restarting? I doubt Cuomo is going to allow the Nets and Knicks to open up training facilities (nor should he, it's still too soon). The Nets will need to relocate the team and training staff to an isolated location.

I need to see what the NBA's plan is. One player getting sick will derail everything. Personally, on the human side, I feel like pushing players back out to play while the infection numbers and deaths are still climbing is a horrific idea. I would have cancelled the season.

Also, if we do get the season resumption, do we see KD and Kyrie suit up? Both are 100% now. I see no reason for them not to play if the conditions are safe enough for play to resume.

I feel like they're going to play if we return. Teams are going to get at least a 4 week training camp to get back in shape. Then some regular season games. I would guess at least 10. Then playoffs. That's a lot of time to get back and get adjusted to full games.

If we were just jumping into games, Id say no chance.

I thought Kyrie's injury was going to have him out until August or September but everyone seems to think he's good already.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,545

Post#604 » by MrDollarBills » Sat May 9, 2020 1:05 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#605 » by MrDollarBills » Sun May 10, 2020 6:23 pm

Well, if the season does resume, Durant will not be playing per Woj

Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#606 » by Stone » Sun May 10, 2020 9:11 pm

If Woj is right and next season starts in January, that makes it almost two years off for KD.

At this point though it almost seems inevitable.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#607 » by MrDollarBills » Mon May 11, 2020 10:58 am

Stone wrote:If Woj is right and next season starts in January, that makes it almost two years off for KD.

At this point though it almost seems inevitable.

I would be shocked if the season we are in now actually resumes tbh

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#608 » by MrDollarBills » Mon May 11, 2020 1:39 pm

I would advise reading the whole thread, but here is Spencer musing on a return to play and what it would entail:

Read on Twitter

Spencer does mention the questionable morality of forcing players to return during the apex of a pandemic. It would not shock me if there are players that balk at a return unless safety is guaranteed. Unless players are isolated under strict conditions I do not see how logistically possible it is for the league to play.

UFC managed to pull of what will probably be the first of many cards during the pandemic. I think it's easier to run an MMA show because you have about 12-14 fighters at most plus whoever is involved with training, medical staff and television production. I can see non team sports like boxing, tennis, and golf following suit and returning sooner than later.

MAYBE you can get MLB back, because contact between players on field is minimal outside of plays at the plate. Guys could possibly wear masks while in the dug out or even on the field (but that would probably make things difficult during live plays). South Korea has baseball up and running but they are way ahead of where we are. We aren't even 1/10th of what we need to be to reach SK's level. I still think it's risky.

NBA, NFL, and NHL will be impossible to run unless everyone is heavily isolated from the outside world, which will be impossible IMO. the human element is way too unpredictable, someone will break quarantine. I cannot fathom the NFL suiting up if we don't have considerable drops in the infection rate and a reliable treatment to curb deaths. Imagine being an offensive lineman having to engage a DT or DE? Dudes are breathing in droplets like crazy. Players can play with facemasks under their helmets like they do in the winter, and visors can be put on all helmets, but still will that be enough?

I think Shaq is right. Just shut it down, see where we are in November and December. If we have a viable treatment that turns this thing into something that isn't a death sentence for a majority of the population, i can see things opening up but with sensible conditions in place to prevent spread.

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#609 » by MGrand15 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:41 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I would advise reading the whole thread, but here is Spencer musing on a return to play and what it would entail:

Read on Twitter

Spencer does mention the questionable morality of forcing players to return during the apex of a pandemic. It would not shock me if there are players that balk at a return unless safety is guaranteed. Unless players are isolated under strict conditions I do not see how logistically possible it is for the league to play.

UFC managed to pull of what will probably be the first of many cards during the pandemic. I think it's easier to run an MMA show because you have about 12-14 fighters at most plus whoever is involved with training, medical staff and television production. I can see non team sports like boxing, tennis, and golf following suit and returning sooner than later.

MAYBE you can get MLB back, because contact between players on field is minimal outside of plays at the plate. Guys could possibly wear masks while in the dug out or even on the field (but that would probably make things difficult during live plays). South Korea has baseball up and running but they are way ahead of where we are. We aren't even 1/10th of what we need to be to reach SK's level. I still think it's risky.

NBA, NFL, and NHL will be impossible to run unless everyone is heavily isolated from the outside world, which will be impossible IMO. the human element is way too unpredictable, someone will break quarantine. I cannot fathom the NFL suiting up if we don't have considerable drops in the infection rate and a reliable treatment to curb deaths. Imagine being an offensive lineman having to engage a DT or DE? Dudes are breathing in droplets like crazy. Players can play with facemasks under their helmets like they do in the winter, and visors can be put on all helmets, but still will that be enough?

I think Shaq is right. Just shut it down, see where we are in November and December. If we have a viable treatment that turns this thing into something that isn't a death sentence for a majority of the population, i can see things opening up but with sensible conditions in place to prevent spread.

UFC and Boxing is a whole different world. Outside of the fact that there's less people needed to put on an event, these guys only fight 2-3 times a year. And they're used to isolating for camps. It's easier to put logistics in place.

Just to add to what you're saying - all of this becomes way more complicated when you consider the coaching staffs and the referees. These are guys in the danger zone age wise. Imagine the disaster if a prominent coach got really sick from this? The UFC fighter that tested positive was asymptomatic and 2 of his corner men got it too.

I wish the bubble / total isolation concept was something the players were more willing to do. I get it's a big sacrifice and we're talking about millionaires. None of these guys want to live in hotels for 30+ days at a time with no where to go. But man, if the NBA is going to wait until the government gets it together or we have a vaccine, we're going to be waiting a LONG time. Like 2021 to even start the discussion. Fine by me but it'll completely shake up the league in so many ways.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#610 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 15, 2020 10:19 am

The NBA most recently projected a salary cap of $115 million and $139 million luxury tax for the 20-21 season. According to one team's front office, the cap could decline by as much as $25 million to $30 million.

The initial cap projections were based on an expected $8 billion in basketball-related income (BRI), which is now expected to decrease by at least $1 billion and potentially as much as $2 billion.

Using the standard salary-cap formula with $6 billion in BRI would have massive implications throughout the league, with the salary cap and tax line for 2020-21 plummeting to $95 million and $115 million, respectively.

Under that scenario, there would be at least 25 teams in the luxury tax, which would be the most of any season in NBA history.

The Golden State Warriors' projected tax penalty of $45 million would increase to $160 million even before the start of free agency.

One executive told ESPN that the league could solve the luxury tax issue by leaving the line at $139 million and letting the cap fall.

Well, I don't know about you guys but I don't see how we will be able to improve the roster now.

Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#611 » by Stone » Fri May 15, 2020 3:12 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:The NBA most recently projected a salary cap of $115 million and $139 million luxury tax for the 20-21 season. According to one team's front office, the cap could decline by as much as $25 million to $30 million.

The initial cap projections were based on an expected $8 billion in basketball-related income (BRI), which is now expected to decrease by at least $1 billion and potentially as much as $2 billion.

Using the standard salary-cap formula with $6 billion in BRI would have massive implications throughout the league, with the salary cap and tax line for 2020-21 plummeting to $95 million and $115 million, respectively.

Under that scenario, there would be at least 25 teams in the luxury tax, which would be the most of any season in NBA history.

The Golden State Warriors' projected tax penalty of $45 million would increase to $160 million even before the start of free agency.

One executive told ESPN that the league could solve the luxury tax issue by leaving the line at $139 million and letting the cap fall.

Well, I don't know about you guys but I don't see how we will be able to improve the roster now.

I don't understand what is meant by "letting the cap fall"...?
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#612 » by Trader_Joe » Fri May 15, 2020 3:43 pm

Stone wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:The NBA most recently projected a salary cap of $115 million and $139 million luxury tax for the 20-21 season. According to one team's front office, the cap could decline by as much as $25 million to $30 million.

I don't understand what is meant by "letting the cap fall"...?

Instead of $115m it would be closer to $85m
Then teams are limited to minimum contracts and exceptions, no real cap space.
Tax teams would at least be somewhat protected from monster bills if they leave the tax line alone.

Doesn't bode well for us keeping Harris and Temple's $5m Team Option might be a luxury.

I also can't see many moves after this as there won't be ways to lower salary without cap space and no one wanting to spend.

So...

Irving / Dinwiddie / Chiozza
LeVert / TLC
Prince / Musa
Durant / Kurucs
Jordan / Allen / Claxton
+
Philly 1st
Minimum contracts?

$137m in salary including the Philly 1st but not minimum contracts

Still a contender when healthy.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#613 » by Trader_Joe » Fri May 15, 2020 3:45 pm

I'd expected and Amnesty Clause re-introduced.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#614 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 15, 2020 4:31 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:I'd expected and Amnesty Clause re-introduced.

Wouldn't that require a CBA renegotiation?

Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#615 » by Trader_Joe » Fri May 15, 2020 4:36 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:I'd expected and Amnesty Clause re-introduced.

Wouldn't that require a CBA renegotiation?

Feel like there's gonna have to be changes made regardless.
I'm sure there are emergency provisions in the current CBA.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#616 » by NyCeEvO » Tue May 19, 2020 4:10 pm

Obviously there are many things more important than basketball. With that said, it would be very bittersweet if the Nets fielded a championship-caliber team next season and won the title, but fans couldn't be in attendance for the Finals series or participate in a championship parade.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#617 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed May 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Yeah, I've been picturing a parade down flatbush ever since the Nets moved to BK. Will be an absolute shame if that'll be impossible due to social distancing regulations. Would be bitter sweet.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#618 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 21, 2020 2:00 am

I'll just be happy if we win.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#619 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 21, 2020 8:37 pm

https://clutchpoints.com/nets-rumors-brooklyn-eyeing-trade-bradley-beal-form-big-3-with-kevin-durant-kyrie-irving/

Bondy is saying that the Nets are internally discussing a trade for Bradley Beal.

I don't know how a trade for Beal will work if the salary cap contracts significantly this offseason

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#620 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu May 21, 2020 8:49 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:https://clutchpoints.com/nets-rumors-brooklyn-eyeing-trade-bradley-beal-form-big-3-with-kevin-durant-kyrie-irving/

Bondy is saying that the Nets are internally discussing a trade for Bradley Beal.

I don't know how a trade for Beal will work if the salary cap contracts significantly this offseason

Beal makes way too much money for a third star.

I'm not really sure he works with KD and Kyrie or would be willing to take on a Chris Bosh like role.

Would probably cost us most of our depth too.

I would rather we use our assets to make a move for a stretch 4.

Return to Brooklyn Nets