ImageImage

Prospect Spotlight -- Tyrese Haliburton

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Is Ty Haliburton worth a lottery selection for our Hawks?

No way we're spending a top-10 pick on another PG
16%
Yes! The defense, shooting & playmaking are a perfect fit
53%
Maybe. Depends on who else is still available
32%

Total votes: 19

CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Re: Prospect Spotlight -- Tyrese Haliburton 

Post#21 » by CP War Hawks » Mon May 4, 2020 11:48 pm

I'm looking for a prospect that can get anywhere on the court ala Trae. Other than shooting, that's the primary need for me. Not low on TH, but not very high on him either. Could project as a Dinwizzle some day, but I would like to shoot higher with this pick. He has a hell of a time trying to get his shot off vs. taller defenders.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 7, 2020 2:08 am

Read on Twitter

2020 NBA Draft Big Board

4. Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State | Sophomore

Height: 6’5” | Weight: 175 | Age: 20 | Last Rank: 4

Although nearly everything about Haliburton’s game is unorthodox, his advanced on-court intellect, winning-conducive skill set and rapid trajectory are noteworthy, and set him apart in some regard in a lottery where the talent gap between prospects is admittedly narrow. His actual draft range is fairly wide, given the fact his game is a bit of an acquired taste: what he lacks creating off the dribble or exploding past defenders, he’ll compensate for with a diagonal pass or narrowly-threaded drop-off that few of his peers would ever think about making. Haliburton’s real value lies in what it means for everyone else on his team, and how and when his game takes off may depend more on how long it takes for him to land in a great situation, where he’s able to accentuate, rather than anchor a team. Regardless, his floor is pretty substantive as a ball-moving facilitator who hits open shots and makes any five-man lineup more effective.
SI.com
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#23 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu May 7, 2020 12:49 pm

I'm a big fan of Hali. He is a do it all guard with no weakness and a very high IQ. I wouldn't mind getting him if Edwards and some other bigs are off the board. If the Hawks end up with like the 8th pick and Edwards, Jalen, Wise, Oturu, and Okongwu are off the board then Hali could be a good pick up for the Hawks.

Hali and Young could be a better version of CJ McCollum and Damian Lillard.

Having Trae and Ty would be a very interesting backcourt duo. Their games would compliment each other very well, but both guys would need to bulk up big time because the Hawks would have the skinniest backcourt in the whole NBA.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 7, 2020 6:44 pm

Atlanta Hawks: Tyrese Haliburton (Iowa State, PG/SG, Sophomore)

Once the higher-upside names start flying off the board, teams will put more stock in fit. And Tyrese Haliburton's fit with the Atlanta Hawks appears ideal.

During the 2019-20 season, Atlanta's offense was heavily dependent on Trae Young, who led the NBA in time of possession. The Hawks could use a secondary playmaker. Haliburton, an excellent passer and decision-maker, also ranked in the 99th percentile out of spot-ups, so he shouldn't have trouble playing off the ball.

He should be able to improve the Hawks' No. 26-ranked offense with his ability to take pressure off of Young, move the ball and shoot 49.3 percent off the catch.

While there are questions about his upside given his limited blow-by burst and pull-up game, Haliburton's tools, versatility and basketball IQ suggest he's a safe play anywhere outside the top three.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 8, 2020 11:52 pm

Best Case Comparisons For the Top 2020 NBA Draft Prospects

Tyrese Haliburton | G | Iowa State | Sophomore

Best case scenario comparison: Lonzo Ball

Haliburton is a 6’5” point guard from Wisconsin who’s the definition of a late bloomer. He was only a three-star recruit out of his high school.

At Iowa State, however, he was a factor from Day 1—and he really blossomed this season as a sophomore. After flashing promise as a freshman, he increased his averages to 15.2 PPG, 6.5 APG, 5.9 RPG, and 2.5 SPG. Haliburton has tremendous court sense, can pass with the best of them, and is a better shooter than Lonzo, hitting 41.9 percent of his threes this season.

His size and long arms are advantageous, too, though he’s somewhat limited athletically. Haliburton needs to add weight (a consistent theme among top prospects this year), but so did Lonzo. The Cyclone guard’s passing is ultimately what makes him such a tantalizing option. He’s not a playmaker on LaMelo’s level, but he has fringe All-Star potential.
Complex Sports
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 9, 2020 4:38 pm

Detroit Pistons could get steal of NBA draft with Tyrese Haliburton at No. 4 pick overall

Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State

Full disclosure — I might be a little higher on Haliburton than some. But I think he has one of the highest floors in the lottery. He averaged 15.2 points, 5.9 rebounds and 6.5 assists last season. He’s an elite, ambidextrous passer and strong ball-handler. He shot the ball efficiently despite being the lone option for a mediocre Iowa State team. He even has great size, standing 6-5 with a 7-foot wingspan. What’s not to like?

There are question makers about his athleticism and funky shooting motion, but I think they’re overblown. He can improve his form. His ball-handling and footwork can compensate for his lack of burst. You can’t teach size or feel, and Haliburton has both. The Pistons need a point guard, and a good argument can be made for Haliburton being the most talented player at this point of the draft.
Detroit Free Press
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#27 » by King Ken » Tue May 12, 2020 3:32 am

I really like him a ton. He's 6th on my Hawks big board and tied for 4th best prospect. I am a strong believer that fit is everything for him and I don't have us on that list. The teams I have that are ideal for him are:

Orlando with Fultz
New Orleans with Jrue (I know Ball is there so it's likely a no)
Philly with Simmons

I am not a believer in the fit with him and Young but I do think he would solve our backup PG issues but is it worth it for us, probably not.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 13, 2020 1:06 am

NBA Draft 2020: Big Board 2.0

8. TYRESE HALIBURTON, Guard, Iowa State

A lanky 6-foot-5 guard who can toggle between either guard spot, Tyrese Haliburton delivered on the hype and then some as a sophomore. He went from a potential first-round pick to a potential top-five pick, and someone who a lot of lottery teams on the verge of contention will value.

Haliburton plays a mistake-free brand of basketball. He limits turnovers, he’s highly efficient, and he plays smart. He doesn’t overextend himself or force the issue, and he has tremendous poise for a college guard. He should adjust nicely to the pace of NBA basketball.

Where Haliburton’s issues come to light is his athletic profile. He’s a slender 175 pounds, and he’s not terribly explosive. His jumper is effective, yes, but he’s not a bonafide pull-up threat due to some strange mechanical quirks. He’s too smart, too efficient, and too well-rounded not to find a role in the NBA, but his ceiling may not reach as high as his other lottery counterparts.
76ers Fansided
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#29 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 15, 2020 5:15 pm

2020 NBA Draft Big Board: Scouting Pros and Cons for Top 50 Players

13. Tyrese Haliburton (Iowa State, PG/SG, Sophomore)

Pros
Pros: High-IQ passing is Haliburton's bankable skill, but he also shot over 41.0 percent from three in consecutive seasons. He ranked in the 99th percentile out of spot-ups, and with 6'5" size, he should be capable of playing both guard positions.

Cons: Lacking blow-by burst, he converted just 23 baskets at the rim (22 games) and averaged 2.2 free-throw attempts per 40 minutes. With awkward form on his jumper, he shot 28.1 percent on pull-ups, another concern when projecting his scoring potential.
Bleacher Report
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#30 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Thu Jun 4, 2020 2:42 pm

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#31 » by kg01 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 6:40 pm

I think that's a smokescreen, honestly.
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,869

Post#32 » by jayu70 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 7:09 pm

kg01 wrote:I think that's a smokescreen, honestly.

Exactly, everyone of the top 6 prospects have been their guy so far.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#33 » by Spud2nique » Thu Jun 4, 2020 10:01 pm

Lol fckin parrot :box:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#34 » by Spud2nique » Thu Jun 4, 2020 10:04 pm

Hey bro somebody’s copying ur stuff. Cover your paper. :nod:

It’s like the same thing said ...again... :roll:

Red light green light.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#35 » by kg01 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 1:58 pm

Spud2nique wrote:

Red light green light.

You know you luv burd.

Also, see the "report" that the Warriors would take Edwards if they get the #1 pick. Blah, blah, blah .. I'm already tired of the smoke.

*gasp* Does that mean I don't want the smoke?! :o
king01 :king:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#36 » by Spud2nique » Tue Jun 9, 2020 12:57 am

kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

Red light green light.

You know you luv burd.

Also, see the "report" that the Warriors would take Edwards if they get the #1 pick. Blah, blah, blah .. I'm already tired of the smoke.

*gasp* Does that mean I don't want the smoke?! :o

Ya I do. :)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#37 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:46 am

Tyrese Haliburton

Tyrese Haliburton made a substantial jump in his level of play between his freshman and sophomore seasons.

As the lead guard for Iowa State, Haliburton displayed his dynamic playmaking, versatile defense, and lights out shooting as he scored 1.095 points per possession (PPP) on all jump shots (86th percentile), per Synergy.

Haliburton is one of the most well-rounded guards in this draft, and given Haliburton's size and shooting ability, he is more than capable of playing as an off-guard. When Haliburton was in spot-up situations this season, he scored an exorbitant 1.431 PPP (99th percentile) and 1.493 PPP in catch-and-shoot cases (98th percentile).

After shooting just under 42 percent on almost six threes per game with absurd efficiency, Haliburton's shooting has become underrated. This [skepticism] stems from his unorthodox shooting mechanics. His low release push shot makes it easier for defenders to contest as Haliburton scored just 0.684 PPP on jumper shots off the dribble (35th percentile).

While there is some validity to these concerns, the outright dismissal has gotten out of hand. With a team consisting of Trae Young, Kevin Huerter, and John Collins, Haliburton would not be expected to create his shot frequently. Instead, he would be allowed to find open spaces to launch from when he wasn't creating for others.
dunkingwithwolves.com
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#38 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:39 pm

Read on Twitter
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#39 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:11 pm

In such a well-regarded PG draft, and such a less glamorous bigs draft... and given that I suspect that any additional wings we would add would be through FA if only because we're best stocked with youth there already... and given what a beautiful thing in my mind it would be to see us replicate the Curry/Livingston PG rotation with our own Young/Haliburton one (not immediately, but soon enough)... I just can't imagine the basketball gods being that kind to me to see Schlenk add my much-preferred players two years in a row.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#40 » by Spud2nique » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:19 am

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:In such a well-regarded PG draft, and such a less glamorous bigs draft... and given that I suspect that any additional wings we would add would be through FA if only because we're best stocked with youth there already... and given what a beautiful thing in my mind it would be to see us replicate the Curry/Livingston PG rotation with our own Young/Haliburton one (not immediately, but soon enough)... I just can't imagine the basketball gods being that kind to me to see Schlenk add my much-preferred players two years in a row.

I remember you had Hunter but Cam also on your list last year? There’s a guy, maybe you’ve heard of him by the name of Buzz, you and him love that Trae/Haliburton thing. I personally hope we go Okongwu, Vassell or Siddiq Bey if we don’t land #1 for Edwards.

Return to Atlanta Hawks