2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD - NOVEMBER 18, 2020, 7PM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,894

2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD - NOVEMBER 18, 2020, 7PM (CT) 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:13 am

So while we wait... and wait, might as well start going through some potential draft prospects, both the ones we want, and the ones that may likely fall in our range - right now projected to be 11 and 41.

EDIT to add: If things stay as they are, we have a 77.6% chance at #11, 12.6% chance of slipping to #12, and 0.4% of #13. Slim chances of moving up without a trade - 2% chance at #1, 2.2% chance at #2, 2.4% chance at #3, and 2.8% chance at #4 (http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds).

These are preliminary thoughts. More details about each prospect to follow. Mocks are all over the place in terms of who gets selected where, and it's even less clear without a true game changer that has separated himself.

First Round:

In terms of who I'd like for us to draft, Deni Avdija fits our style of play and positional need. I love his motor and competitive fight - some things you can't teach. Good size and build for SF at 6'9". Smart player. Age at 19 is a plus. Shooting percentages stand out not in a good way. Not sure about his defense / movement on that end. Unless we get a lucky bounce with the lotto balls, he'll most likely be out of our range.

gump really likes Obi Toppin, and he has a lot of tantalizing tools - a 6'9" powerful physical presence, big hops, versatile O game - inside, outside, drives. His age at 22 and noted weaknesses on defensive end work against him. He's mostly a PF, yes? (I've seen him listed as a 3 on some mocks. Grew, I've read, 4 to 6 inches in HS where he was a G). So position of need, and at 4 complementary piece to Luka's build and skill set. May not be available at our projected range.

I really like Devin Vassell (listed as 6'6" without shoes, 6'7" with shoes) as a 3+D and good in transition. Plays the 2 from what I've seen. We have a couple of 2/3 guys and he'd need to be more 3 for us. Love his outside shot - high release, and activity on D. Very smooth looking game. If he plays the 3 will need to develop more driving moves. Great at well timed blocks and crafty steals already. Good age - 19. Frame will need strengthening. Lanky, coordinated, relentless. Great motor. Smart. More polished game than Patrick Williams.

I also like Patrick Williams. Really young at 18, but has a solid, thick body and an imposing physical presence with his 6'8" frame and tree trunk legs. Projected as a 4, but I've seen him listed as a 3 as well. So 3/4. May not be quick enough as a 3, not sure of his transition game. Very solid blocker, makes each one look 'big'. Reads them well and covers ground to get to it. Lots of hustle. Vassell looks taller because of his lankier frame. Williams is a lion to Vassell's cheetah. Both are really versatile. Williams as an off the bench college player is more of a project. I wonder if both are available which we'd choose?

Second Round:

gump favours Cassius Winston. Terrific scorer, can score multiple ways, great 3 shot, good decision maker with the ball, finds pockets of space well, really good vision and passing. Smart. Always active with the ball to pressure defenders. Like gump said, a true PG. No idea about his defense, though at 6'1" is at a disadvantage physically. Same height as Patty, looks to have a smaller stature. At 22, already older than several of our younger core. But then again, so was Quinn when we drafted him.

We may potentially lose three guards in Bryn, Beli and DeMar, and even if it's likely that Bryn stays, highly likely Beli leaves, and DD I think likely, we need to fill these with 3&D at the very least. With the potential of losing two rotation players, we've reached out to Trevelin Queen:
Read on Twitter

Of course, even as each of Beli and DD are 2/3 each has a different role. We've been going for active, skilled, two-way players who can shoot the 3.

Queen is a 6-6, guard/wing player and 190 lbs. He helped New Mexico State win its second-straight regular-season title and third-straight WAC Tournament title.

In the 2018-19 season, he averaged 13.2 points per game, 2.4 assists, 47 percent shooting and 5.2 rebounds. He's described as an explosive player and capable of playing both ends of the court.

https://foxsanantonio.com/sports/spurs-contact-new-mexico-states-trevelin-queen-report

Lonnie and KJ are 2/3 as well, and with KJ surely moving up to the Spurs for next season, we're doing homework with stocking up those positions in Austin and see what he can do to move up. Hits the 3, at a decent-not-great rate with what looks like a push-motion, lower release point the farther he is away. He's 23.

I also like Leandro Bolmaro as a second round choice, but he seems to be moving his way up and may not be available with our selection. He's a 6'7" SG, 19, not a leaping athlete or possessing a standout frame (6'8" wingspan), but very crafty and assertive in scoring. Has great anticipation in seeing/reading plays, and very good vision leading to terrific passing. High IQ. Not a good 3 shooter. Solid defender.

Hunch: Whoever drafts Tyrese Haliburton will be very happy with him long-term. I think he'll end up separating himself from several others in a PG-heavy draft.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: 2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Tue May 5, 2020 6:39 pm

Say we happen to move up in the draft and the BPA is Tyrese Haliburton. Do we not take him? The more I see of him, read up about him and watch him in interviews, the more impressed I am. His physical frame is the sole concern in terms of getting through the grind of a season versus some behemoths in the league, but I find his collective skills tantalizing.

We've committed the money we have to DJ who is still working on developing his facilitating game. TH has that and and the 3 (weird shooting mechanics aside) in spades already. DJ is the better defender.

Drafting TH may ruffle some feathers, but he who shows himself as the best player should get the position. Nothing's a given, but earned.

Love his attitude, approach to the game, and confident but even keeled personality:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Thu May 7, 2020 3:53 am

So checking our actual odds of moving up (added to top of first post), we have a very slim chance without a trade. But say we either do or someone slips to us like Lonnie did.

Enter Onyeka Okongwu. If we happen to move up in the draft, I'm not sure about taking him at the 1-4 - my first choice would be Deni, but if Onyeka slips to 11, he's a solid consideration. A 4/5, though at 6'9" undersized at the latter. More a closer to the basket game right now, but at 19 and with an abundance of energy and hustle with room to grow, can develop farther out. We have Mezie the pogo stick who has developed other aspects of his game, but he's still a more slightly framed PF, and we need more beef and potential at the 4/5. Luka is more of a skilled all around player, and already has the outside tools. He's more outside-in to OO's inside-out.

OO gets to the FT line and makes them at an acceptable rate (72%), defends well, is a very good rebounder, has some solid finishing moves. Does not shoot 3 - yet, so it's a limitation to the modern shift in style, but runs well and finishes in transition. The comparison to Bam in terms of size, athleticism, and game shows he has a place in today's game. At this point, I think I'd take him over Obi because of age and defense.

Also, I like his disposition in interviews.
Read on Twitter

Here's a quick assessment of his game on both sides of the ball:

EDIT to add a full interview and breakdown of his game:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Thu May 7, 2020 4:31 am

A couple of mocks have us selecting RJ Hampton. I really hope we don't draft him if available. Something about him and Isaac Okoro that I can't put my finger on besides poor 3 and FT shooting. They have their strengths - Okoro on D, Hampton in transition, but without getting too much into it, just a vibe I'm getting from them in terms of fit with our team. Not implying they're bad guys, but I like the guys we have at the positions. Okoro and Hampton seem over-hyped for players that aren't really known for that one thing that gets you noticed at the top-5ish pick level. I'm just not that impressed. Hope they make a career for themselves in the league, just not with us.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,179

Post#5 » by imagump1313 » Thu May 7, 2020 10:58 pm

Tankathon has us taking him also now...YUCK!

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Looks like DeRozan Jr. Another guard who doesn't like to shoot outside.

Toppin has shot all the way up to 3 :banghead:

Someone try to get a photo of him with a bong or something!! :lol:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Fri May 8, 2020 1:28 am

imagump1313 wrote:Tankathon has us taking him also now...YUCK!

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Looks like DeRozan Jr. Another guard who doesn't like to shoot outside.

Toppin has shot all the way up to 3 :banghead:

Someone try to get a photo of him with a bong or something!! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah that has us taking RJ ahead of Vassell who already excels at 3&D. Amazing. I think we've learned from the DD exercise. X on RJ.

But the mocks have been all over the place. There's no consensus #1, and the mocks have changed far more with each update than I've seen in the past.

There are actually several mocks that have us taking a PG or combo guard, and I find it mystifying. What are we going to do, play a five-guard lineup?! We already have four in the system, not even counting Lonnie. Jesus.

si.com has us taking Theo Maledon because... French PG, right? (he's a good prospect, but I like who we have better).

espn.com has ustaking PG Cole Anthony.

nbcsports.com has us taking super ginger PG Nico Mannion.

Our own realgm mock draft has us taking Killian Hayes (another Frenchman).

The only PG I'd consider taking if he dropped is Tyrese Haliburton and then let the best guys rise to the top over time.

You'll be pleased to read that nbadraft.theringer.com has us taking Obi at #11. But that's actually the lowest I've seen him. Seems to be climbing, and in the uncertainty of this draft and his certain skill set (even with D deficiencies), teams will take it. So most mocks have him at top seven at worst (several top-5 now).

Vassell who I think is our most realistic selection is rated as high at #6 in nbadraft.theringer.com but #34 on nbadraft.net. Go figure.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Fri May 8, 2020 2:43 am

If we do happen to move up, I keep hoping we get a shot at Devi within the top 4.

Say we get #1. Do we take Wiseman? He has a big boom-bust range. Raw with exceptional physical tools. Perhaps trade down if we know we can get the guy we want a little farther back? But these are BIG IFs to begin with. Still, you never know. It's fun to explore what I'm sure PATFO are doing due diligence on.

I just want someone who is mentally tough and team-oriented who is a 3&D. I'm not yet sure of Vassell's mental makeup. I do think Patrick Williams and Tyrese Haliburton and Onyeka Okonongwu have 'it'.

Here's a video of Deni's strengths/weaknesses and interview:

I like his smarts and fire. A lot.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Fri May 8, 2020 9:40 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:Here's a video of Deni's strengths/weaknesses and interview:

I like this guy's game. Plays with his head up. Can drive with both hands. Plays defense and can shoot a contested three.
Could you imagine Murray making any of the passes they show in the video? I think not :lol:

I'm afraid he is long gone at 11 though. (unless we get a bong pic)
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#9 » by youngWizzy » Sat May 9, 2020 2:12 am

Hello everybody,

Tool: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com

I recently developed an NBA Draft Comparison tool that has gained a good amount of popularity on Twitter by several draft analysts

The tool retrieves similar physical, statistical (per40), and advanced stat comparisons for any player dating back to the 2000 NBA Draft based on their position

Note: Advanced stats only go back to the 2011 Draft and there are currently only limited physical comparisons for some of the 2020 prospects as the combine hasn't reported official measurements. Additionally, if you cannot find a player in the stats, visuals, or advanced pages you can enter their sports-reference url and the site will generate the comparisons then.

If you end up seeing this, any feedback/comments/suggestions that you have or would like me to add a feature to the website is something that I'd appreciate a whole lot. You can dm me here but preferable on twitter:youngwizzydfs and I will respond asap.

The experience is a lot better on desktop/laptop than mobile which is something I am working on right now

If you don't mind sharing the tool with your friends and people that would mean a whole lot as it could lead to potential donations to my site that will help keep it up! Been working on this for a few years now so it's been one hell of a roller coaster ride!

Per 40 stat comparison can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/stats

Advanced stat comparisons can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/advanced

​
Physical comparisons can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/measurements

​A visualizations page which visualizes how a player compares to their position can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/visuals

​
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Sat May 9, 2020 4:29 am

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Here's a video of Deni's strengths/weaknesses and interview:

I like this guy's game. Plays with his head up. Can drive with both hands. Plays defense and can shoot a contested three.
Could you imagine Murray making any of the passes they show in the video? I think not :lol:

I'm afraid he is long gone at 11 though. (unless we get a bong pic)

:rofl:

How are your photoshop skills?

Good assessment of Deni's abilities. What I like too is he keeps pushing forward - confident without that a-hole arrogance which is the worst - and so he wants to improve but knows that it's important to do so within the team concept. My sole hesitation is his poor FT shooting which has usually been an accurate predictor of efficiency (extreme example is Jakob).

Yeah praying for a jump up or get Vassell at #11 (realistic option with ready skills).

I've looked into some more interviews of Vassell and am settling into his just being a more introverted guy - and it's fine if that's who he is, and doesn't try to be something else. I may be projecting a more demure persona in interviews into doubt about his fire on the court.

How great would it be for us to get back to a true defense-first team again without gaping holes to fill in for guys who didn't commit to developing important aspects of the game? SO great, right?

Love his high release (though it has that slight hitch or pause at the top - works in college, but may need to smooth it out. Sometimes that one minute pause is the difference between a shot or a block), his positioning and activity on D, and his making impactful plays. Obviously needs to get stronger, work on his handle and get more crafty beating guys to the basket. Athletic, but not really possessing twitch athleticism. Will need to work on quickening his first step. Not sure how much of an untapped ceiling he has. I can see him fitting so easily with our system and our young group right now.

But if it's about BPA and fit in terms of temperament / personality / values, would we take on a bigger project who has a bigger long-term upside and room to grow? Hard draft to predict.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by imagump1313 » Sat May 9, 2020 10:44 am

GREY 1769 wrote:Yeah praying for a jump up or get Vassell at #11 (realistic option with ready skills).

I've looked into some more interviews of Vassell and am settling into his just being a more introverted guy - and it's fine if that's who he is, and doesn't try to be something else. I may be projecting a more demure persona in interviews into doubt about his fire on the court.

How great would it be for us to get back to a true defense-first team again without gaping holes to fill in for guys who didn't commit to developing important aspects of the game? SO great, right?

Love his high release (though it has that slight hitch or pause at the top - works in college, but may need to smooth it out. Sometimes that one minute pause is the difference between a shot or a block), his positioning and activity on D, and his making impactful plays. Obviously needs to get stronger, work on his handle and get more crafty beating guys to the basket. Athletic, but not really possessing twitch athleticism. Will need to work on quickening his first step. Not sure how much of an untapped ceiling he has. I can see him fitting so easily with our system and our young group right now.

But if it's about BPA and fit in terms of temperament / personality / values, would we take on a bigger project who has a bigger long-term upside and room to grow? Hard draft to predict.

Vassell reminds me of a slightly bigger Keldon Johnson which isn't a bad thing. Probably would be on the Austin shuttle for a year but I guess that is fine if he shows some upside. I'd prefer someone who is a better scorer but wouldn't everyone? At 11 we cant ask for too much.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by imagump1313 » Sat May 9, 2020 10:52 am

Now if we decide to let Poetl walk, I wouldn't mind taking a look at Vernon Carey Jr. from Duke.
He can do everything that Poetl can but is a much better scorer. And he can shoot a three which Poetl cannot do at all. Plus I'm partial to Duke guys.
He is also projected to go a bit lower(in the 20's) so maybe we could gain an asset by trading down? If we aren't in love with someone at 11 it might be worth considering. The only scary thing is, why is he rated soo low?

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Sun May 10, 2020 12:26 am

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Yeah praying for a jump up or get Vassell at #11 (realistic option with ready skills).

Vassell reminds me of a slightly bigger Keldon Johnson which isn't a bad thing. Probably would be on the Austin shuttle for a year but I guess that is fine if he shows some upside. I'd prefer someone who is a better scorer but wouldn't everyone? At 11 we cant ask for too much.

The funny thing is that we really lucked out with KJ falling as he was projected as a late lotto to mid-first pick. It's tricky not only because of the talent available in this draft (no sure consensus first pick), but also because it's harder to judge talent without in-person evaluations right now.

McDaniels has more intriguing physical tools, for instance, but his interviews really turn me off (as does info found here posted by Stillwater on the Draft Forum).

We have a higher overall skillset and height at the 1-2 now, Luka developing at the 4, KJ at the 3 (was he a 2 or 3 in college?) with Lonnie subbing in for DD this season so we could slot him at the 2-3, but the point is that we don't have more bruising talent.

I think your choices - Obi and Vernon - address that, and we need it.

I've been looking at bigs for our second round (ie/ Killian Tillie, and that we should stay away from Maker - has some talent, but also some shady people around him uugh hell no) and somehow haven't looked into Vernon yet.

That said, I have never come close to whoever we've chosen in the second round. Ever! Honestly, I don't know why I bother :lol: other than it's fun to speculate and play GM.

imagump1313 wrote:Now if we decide to let Poetl walk, I wouldn't mind taking a look at Vernon Carey Jr. from Duke.
He can do everything that Poetl can but is a much better scorer. And he can shoot a three which Poetl cannot do at all. Plus I'm partial to Duke guys.
He is also projected to go a bit lower(in the 20's) so maybe we could gain an asset by trading down? If we aren't in love with someone at 11 it might be worth considering. The only scary thing is, why is he rated soo low?

I like his build, ability to seal his man, run the P&R well, finish with both hands, run the floor, finish with fundamentals around the basket. Solid blocker and rebounder. Good footwork and body control. My sense for his dropping right now is that he is a touch undersized (height, wingspan) for the C and doesn't have that modern game that is being touted nearly everywhere now; it's all about spreading the floor and Cs with wing skills. But there is surely room in the right situation for a guy with Vernon's skill set. I like what he brings and he has a complementary game and physical presence to our 1-2-3-4 roster.

The highest I've seen him in a mock is #13, but most mocks have him around #18 to late first round. Maybe we can acquire another first round pick as he tends to fall outside of our range, high or low. We do need to shore up the position and he's a solid option.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#14 » by G R E Y » Tue May 12, 2020 5:11 am

Say we stay at #11 and each of the players we want - Deni, Obi, Onyeka, Tyrese, Devin - are off the board. I wouldn't be shocked if we drafted Patrick Williams. I'm really coming around to his overall potential. He's comparable in size to Obi, can guard multiple positions already and has a burgeoning game. At four years younger than Obi, I'm not sure I'd take Obi at this stage all things considered. Think what he could be in that time of development with us. He could be nearing the end of his first contract by the time he reaches Obi's current age. It's all about the extent of his potential - what we think it is and working with him to maximize it.

One of the youngest (if not youngest) players in the draft. Like Luka, if he had a more polished game already, he'd be on more teams' radars. I believe in our development. I like the prospect of his overall contribution. Maybe has a slightly more mechanical look and I'm not sure of his lateral movement to guard quicker 3s, but he can be a bruising inside-out presence. Very solid 83% FT which bodes well for other scoring efficiency and range. Does a lot of things well even as there are many parts to still develop.

Will he be able to stay with more agile, quick players? Develop a handle with which to drive by defenders? Foot speed and body adjustments mid-movement? Combo forward. I like him as a 3 if he can get there with his game but versatility for a 4 when needed. Not twitchy athleticism, but smooth, sneaky, and springy for his build. Slower release (has a habit of doing that one hop before release), but has a smooth, high release and nice arc. Has what looks to be a big center of gravity (anchored by his big booty) if you know what I mean - hard to get him off balance no matter the play. Makes quick smart passes and plays within the team concept, and is ever engaged - makes a lot of right plays (positioning, spacing, timing - court/situation awareness, using glass, finishing with either hand) for a player with his experience. I like how he comes across in interviews - balanced and mature for his age. A reach at #11 unless we believe he has high upside. Lots of smarts and versatility and as yet untapped abilities.

Highlights:

Interview from last year at the Jordan Brand Classic:

Feature:

EDIT to add:
Vecenie wrote in his Mock Draft 3.0:

"[Williams'] athleticism is readily apparent every time he's out on the floor, and he makes an impact on defense and as a rebounder. He's active and energetic, and regularly makes the kind of 'wow' flash plays that executives look for. And yet, he's playing an extremely limited role, to the point that it's tough to tell where exactly his ball skills and offensive feel for the game currently sit. And at 6'8" with a 7'-plus wingspan, there is a lot of positional size for him to be a useful combo forward at some point."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2876043-fsus-patrick-williams-declares-for-2020-nba-draft
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#15 » by G R E Y » Tue May 12, 2020 6:06 am

As for the second round, would Isaiah Stewart* drop to us? Hulk-sized, but with a more traditional C game - undersized at 6'9" but has a 7'4" wingspan. Shoots FTs at a decent rate (77.4%), which is good because he gets fouled for 6FTAs per game. Not sure how well his game will translate to the modern one and its pace (hardly shot 3s and when he did, he connected at a poor rate). Can he expand his game? (Is certainly aware of the need to do so). Still, a bruising presence with some good post moves and between him and Patrick Williams, it would make for a formidable physical presence to punish opponents.

Strengths:

Some interviews. Loves to "rip guys' heads off" and compete lol. Also appreciates a family atmosphere where it's about more than just the player but also the person:

* I'm sure now that I've mentioned him we're not drafting him. It'll for sure be a player I've never looked at or heard of.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#16 » by G R E Y » Sun May 17, 2020 3:41 am

tankathon.com's mock draft has been updated and it now has us selecting Vassell at #11 (yes!) and C Zeke Nnaji at #41. Decent post footwork and finishing around basket, rolls and runs the floor well, uses his physicality and agility to gain position inside, bouncy for his size. I like his activity and awareness. Work in progress on D.

Details: 6'11", 230 lbs, 7'1" wingspan, just over 19 years old. Averaged a double double in college (18.9/10.1), 76% FT at over 6 attempts per game, only shot 17 3s this season at 29.4%.

Named PAC-12 Freshman of the Year.

Highlights:

Interview:

Several mocks have him going somewhere in the last third of the first round, others in the first third of the second - again, many players are all over the place in this draft. Good youth, physique and upside, even as his rim protection and passing could expand. There's room for it.

EDIT to add pre-draft analysis from ESPN's Mike Schmitz:
Strengths
- Physical big man who makes his presence felt on the offensive glass with his strength. Mobile for his size. Versatile athlete. Can step out and hedge ball screens. Solid laterally for a center prospect. Embraces contact on both ends.
- Has touch on jump hooks. Shows potential as a mid-range shooter. Historically a good free throw shooter who should continue to expand his range. Shoots 3s fairly comfortably in practice.
- Noted for his impressive approach to the game. Knows his role and consistently brings energy and intensity to the floor. Type of project you bet on improving every year.

Improvement areas
- Still a work in progress offensively despite his numbers. Not a comfortable ball-handler or facilitator. Lack of reach hurts him around the rim against length at times. Functions as a center offensively but isn't quite dangerous enough of a lob-catcher/finisher or skilled enough as a post scorer. Does a lot of his damage on put-backs.
- Not much of a rim protector. Plays hard but instincts are still developing and lack of elite length hurts him as a defensive anchor. Not the most instinctual defensive rebounder, either. Bobbles boards at times.
- Good feet overall but discipline can improve in 1-on-1 perimeter defense situations. Can be a little bit handsy. Will bite on fakes. You bet on him improving, but can he be more than an energy guy in the NBA?

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/2
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by imagump1313 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:10 pm

Spoiler:
GREY 1769 wrote:tankathon.com's mock draft has been updated and it now has us selecting Vassell at #11 (yes!) and C Zeke Nnaji at #41. Decent post footwork and finishing around basket, rolls and runs the floor well, uses his physicality and agility to gain position inside, bouncy for his size. I like his activity and awareness. Work in progress on D.

Details: 6'11", 230 lbs, 7'1" wingspan, just over 19 years old. Averaged a double double in college (18.9/10.1), 76% FT at over 6 attempts per game, only shot 17 3s this season at 29.4%.

Highlights:

Interview:

Several mocks have him going somewhere in the last third of the first round, others in the first third of the second - again, many players are all over the place in this draft. Good youth, physique and upside, even as his rim protection and passing could expand. There's room for it.

Strengths
- Physical big man who makes his presence felt on the offensive glass with his strength. Mobile for his size. Versatile athlete. Can step out and hedge ball screens. Solid laterally for a center prospect. Embraces contact on both ends.
- Has touch on jump hooks. Shows potential as a mid-range shooter. Historically a good free throw shooter who should continue to expand his range. Shoots 3s fairly comfortably in practice.
- Noted for his impressive approach to the game. Knows his role and consistently brings energy and intensity to the floor. Type of project you bet on improving every year.

Improvement areas
- Still a work in progress offensively despite his numbers. Not a comfortable ball-handler or facilitator. Lack of reach hurts him around the rim against length at times. Functions as a center offensively but isn't quite dangerous enough of a lob-catcher/finisher or skilled enough as a post scorer. Does a lot of his damage on put-backs.
- Not much of a rim protector. Plays hard but instincts are still developing and lack of elite length hurts him as a defensive anchor. Not the most instinctual defensive rebounder, either. Bobbles boards at times.
- Good feet overall but discipline can improve in 1-on-1 perimeter defense situations. Can be a little bit handsy. Will bite on fakes. You bet on him improving, but can he be more than an energy guy in the NBA?

I have to admit I don't know very much about Nnaji at all. He looks pretty raw but has good size. I did like from watching the video that showed that he can shoot with either hand. Seems like a good guy with his head on straight also.

In related news:I did the Tankathon lottery sim only 3 times today before we got the number 1 pick and took Anthony Edwards 8-)
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#18 » by G R E Y » Sun May 17, 2020 11:14 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
Spoiler:
GREY 1769 wrote:tankathon.com's mock draft has been updated and it now has us selecting Vassell at #11 (yes!) and C Zeke Nnaji at #41. Decent post footwork and finishing around basket, rolls and runs the floor well, uses his physicality and agility to gain position inside, bouncy for his size. I like his activity and awareness. Work in progress on D.

Highlights:

Interview:

Strengths

Improvement areas

I have to admit I don't know very much about Nnaji at all. He looks pretty raw but has good size. I did like from watching the video that showed that he can shoot with either hand. Seems like a good guy with his head on straight also.

In related news:I did the Tankathon lottery sim only 3 times today before we got the number 1 pick and took Anthony Edwards 8-)

Holy, I just did it and got the same result! First try!

I like the first pick (do we do the lottery any other way? :D ), but taking Edwards with it? ...?? He's a #1 contender because there's no true sure pick in this draft, but is he THAT much better from what we're seeing in the videos than Lonnie? LWIV is the better athlete, Edwards I think has better handles right now. LWIV improved on D (Pop even trusting/testing him in late-game situations), has the 3, the mid-range, the first step, and getting better at finding the open man.

If I knew for sure we could get Deni at, say, #3, I'd trade down for him. Wiseman is a high risk-high reward player. A 7'1" height and 7'6" (!) wingspan, coordination, and assertive physicality are tantalizing, but the small sample size, not shooting 3s, and with passing and lateral movement works in progress, there's some doubt as to how much he can stretch or properly defend the floor. Solid worker and good character are big pluses.

It's really hard to find that Jokic diamond, and though we've had some second round gems, we've also had great luck with #1 center selections. *Fingers crossed* three time's the charm.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by imagump1313 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:47 pm

Yeah, I would try to trade the pick if we actually got that lucky. Move down for Obi is my new slogan!
It wouldn't be a bad thing to be "stuck" with Edwards either but i think we could trade down for that also.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#20 » by G R E Y » Mon May 18, 2020 12:26 am

I was perusing RealGM's Draft Forum, and in the mock draft section one poster had us selecting Aleksej Pokusevski. Most of the mocks are all over the place, #1 included, but Pokusevski's placement has actually been pretty consistent - mostly latter third of the first round.

He's really young at 18, 7', 7'3" wingspan, solid coordination. His tendencies to overplay or not follow through on some defensive assignments I attribute more to youth and maturity. But his level of competition has been slower and far less physical. These are aspects to the NBA game that most Euros find the need to adjust to, but I'm concerned about his actual frame (same thing about Vassell, and whether he could withstand the physicality even over time). There's a chance Pokusevski can develop that wiry strength, but in terms of putting on more bulk with such a slight frame? In which case, his inside presence and defense against stronger or faster guys will be a big question mark.

He has a nice outside shot so can spread the floor, has shown flashes of good vision and passing (interspersed with some wild flashy turnovers, comes with the youth territory).

I think he's a big reach at #11 (no mock has him in the lottery), but you can't teach height, and there are aspects of his game that fit the modern style. I don't anything about his character or work ethic or compete level. But assuming these check out, I guess he'd be a combo forward even with having made a commitment to Luka at the 4. He'd be a BIG project. We're great at development, but the pandemic has curtailed a lot of the deep dive process so every team has more blind spots than they'd normally have.

I don't know, I think we need a balance of some physicality with the playmaking finesse. We've been great at drafting, so if we select him, I believe in our development, but it would also mean we believe in his ceiling. At this point, an even bigger reach than Luka was.

ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs