ImageImageImageImageImage

Moar COVID 19 talk.

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,957

Moar COVID 19 talk. 

Post#1 » by Capn'O » Fri May 15, 2020 4:05 pm

Other thread >>> 100pgs.

New thread arises.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Re: Moar COVID 19 talk. 

Post#2 » by Phish Tank » Fri May 15, 2020 4:20 pm

sigh, these Trumpys
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#3 » by King of Canada » Fri May 15, 2020 4:40 pm

How many times have YOU washed your hands today?
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#4 » by Blockwatcher » Fri May 15, 2020 4:44 pm

Everybody still think Cuomo is doing a good job?
1 John 2 : 15-17
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#5 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri May 15, 2020 6:51 pm

Read on Twitter
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,957

Post#6 » by Capn'O » Fri May 15, 2020 6:57 pm

King of Canada wrote:How many times have YOU washed your hands today?

Damn. A bunch...
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#7 » by DOT » Fri May 15, 2020 8:15 pm

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#8 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat May 16, 2020 5:51 am

https://www.wptv.com/news/coronavirus/jupiter-man-skeptical-of-coronavirus-gets-infected-changes-opinion

Jupiter man skeptical of coronavirus gets infected, changes opinion
Patient urges encourages people to take virus seriously

By: Chris Gilmore Posted at 10:30 AM, May 13, 2020 and last updated 10:59 AM, May 13, 2020

JUPITER, Fla. — A Jupiter man, who admits he was skeptical that the coronavirus was a real threat, has a new outlook after contracting the virus.

Around this time last month, Jupiter rideshare driver Brian Hitchens was a self-proclaimed COVID-19 skeptic.

“I thought it was maybe the government trying something, and it was kind of like they threw it out there to kinda distract us,” said Hitchens.

He made Facebook posts downplaying the seriousness and sticking to his faith, saying God is bigger than this virus will ever be.

“I'd get up in the morning and pray and trust in God for his protection, and I’d just leave it at that. There were all these masks and gloves. I thought it looks like a hysteria,” Hitchens explained.

Fast forward to this week and Hitchens has a whole new outlook from his hospital bed at Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center as a coronavirus-positive patient.

"I don’t want to see anyone go through what I went through," Hitchens said.

He recently took to social media about his experience, now encouraging people to take the virus seriously.

“This wasn’t some scare tactic that anybody was using. It wasn’t some made-up thing. This was a real virus you gotta take seriously,” Hitchens said.

This hits even closer to home for Hitchens after his wife was admitted to the same hospital at the same time for coronavirus.

"My wife’s on a ventilator. It’s been like that for three weeks, and it’s tough. It’s sad,” said Hitchens.

He and his wife are both still hospitalized at Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center.

Hitchens and his wife aren't able to see each other, and neither is sure when they’ll be discharged.

Before:
Spoiler:

After:
Spoiler:
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 327

Post#9 » by movingon » Sat May 16, 2020 7:12 am

Blockwatcher wrote:Everybody still think Cuomo is doing a good job?

Well, he is somewhat compensating for the failed "leadership" of the federal govt, so I'd say yes.

Do you still believe the Earth is flat?
Jscratch1200
Sophomore
And1: 162

Post#10 » by Jscratch1200 » Sat May 16, 2020 7:29 am

Was in Green Bay last 2 weeks for work. Yeah, I fully expect Wisconsin to get hit hard. They barely had any restrictions in place. Like 1 in 5 people used a mask in supermarkets. Had many morbidly obese people (because that's what happens when your diet consists of alchohol, meat and cheese) argue that they needed to open back up and allow for herd immunity. These people literally wanted what would possibly be the absolute worst situation for themselves.

My last day there was Wednesday, the same day the court determined that it was unconstitutional to extend the stay at home order. Within 4 hours of that ruling, the bars started to fill up. The funny thing is that work in NJ has been postponed because employees from Wisconsin say they are scared to work in NJ, yet they just opened Wisconsin back up. The situation is pretty mind blowing to me. Just for perspective when I got there, Brown County (Green Bay) had 1,300 cases and are up to 2,000 today. 700 new cases in 10 days.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#11 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun May 17, 2020 7:00 am

Welcome to my world
Won't you come on in ...

Here on Long Island:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-ken-vesey-maskless-covid-19-protester_n_5ebf4aa4c5b62a1e133bf1e6

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=20
POSTING POLICIES:
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#12 » by thebuzzardman » Mon May 18, 2020 1:40 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:https://www.wptv.com/news/coronavirus/jupiter-man-skeptical-of-coronavirus-gets-infected-changes-opinion

Jupiter man skeptical of coronavirus gets infected, changes opinion
Patient urges encourages people to take virus seriously

By: Chris Gilmore Posted at 10:30 AM, May 13, 2020 and last updated 10:59 AM, May 13, 2020

JUPITER, Fla. — A Jupiter man, who admits he was skeptical that the coronavirus was a real threat, has a new outlook after contracting the virus.

Around this time last month, Jupiter rideshare driver Brian Hitchens was a self-proclaimed COVID-19 skeptic.

“I thought it was maybe the government trying something, and it was kind of like they threw it out there to kinda distract us,” said Hitchens.

He made Facebook posts downplaying the seriousness and sticking to his faith, saying God is bigger than this virus will ever be.

“I'd get up in the morning and pray and trust in God for his protection, and I’d just leave it at that. There were all these masks and gloves. I thought it looks like a hysteria,” Hitchens explained.

Fast forward to this week and Hitchens has a whole new outlook from his hospital bed at Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center as a coronavirus-positive patient.

"I don’t want to see anyone go through what I went through," Hitchens said.

He recently took to social media about his experience, now encouraging people to take the virus seriously.

“This wasn’t some scare tactic that anybody was using. It wasn’t some made-up thing. This was a real virus you gotta take seriously,” Hitchens said.

This hits even closer to home for Hitchens after his wife was admitted to the same hospital at the same time for coronavirus.

"My wife’s on a ventilator. It’s been like that for three weeks, and it’s tough. It’s sad,” said Hitchens.

He and his wife are both still hospitalized at Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center.

Hitchens and his wife aren't able to see each other, and neither is sure when they’ll be discharged.

Before:
Spoiler:

After:
Spoiler:

aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,167

Post#13 » by aq_ua » Mon May 18, 2020 3:16 am

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/15/fda-says-abbotts-5-minute-covid-19-test-may-miss-infected-patients/

In a statement, Abbott said that it is seeing studies that use the ID Now test “in ways it was not designed to be used.” The company pointed to recent studies that have had false negative rates of 20%, 10%, and one as low as 6%. In previous statements to news outlets, Abbott has said that the false positive rate of the test was only 0.02%. More than 1.8 million Abbott ID Now tests for the novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, have been distributed, and the test is reportedly in use at the White House.

I have heard 15% is the false negative rate, and in reality the number of infected is likely 10x of published figures. The good news is that it also means the mortality rate is 1/10th of published figures.
Phish Tank
RealGM

Post#14 » by Phish Tank » Mon May 18, 2020 3:16 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Welcome to my world
Won't you come on in ...

Here on Long Island:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-ken-vesey-maskless-covid-19-protester_n_5ebf4aa4c5b62a1e133bf1e6

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=20

some small pee pee energy over there.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#15 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon May 18, 2020 6:08 am

Phish Tank wrote:
Won't you come on in ...

Here on Long Island:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Do you live here? They’re all over the place. I can’t seem to avoid them. I’m like a fcking magnet.
POSTING POLICIES:
Phish Tank
RealGM

Post#16 » by Phish Tank » Mon May 18, 2020 1:57 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:
Won't you come on in ...

Here on Long Island:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Do you live here? They’re all over the place. I can’t seem to avoid them. I’m like a fcking magnet.

I don't, but take some pepper spray and use it to full advantage.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#17 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon May 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Phish Tank wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:

I don't, but take some pepper spray and use it to full advantage.

POSTING POLICIES:
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,189

Post#18 » by gavran » Mon May 18, 2020 6:39 pm

They have just finished a representative testing study in Hungary, with over 10 thousand participants (17 thousand was chosen, so out of them around 60% volunteered, which is great), and found that at worst 1.1% of the population might have been infected. I don't think you can interpolate these numbers for all countries, but this is extremely low. So long herd immunity.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#19 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon May 18, 2020 7:50 pm

POSTING POLICIES:
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#20 » by thebuzzardman » Mon May 18, 2020 8:04 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/18/key-tool-safe-opening-is-not-social-distancing/

(It's contact tracing and isolation)

Around the world, covid-19 lockdowns are ending — in some cases before the virus has been defeated, meaning that the risk of a second wave of infection is high.

But it is not inevitable. Many places, including South Korea and Hong Kong, have avoided lockdowns entirely and are now returning to something like normal conditions. Even when Hong Kong, where I live, got a second wave, we never went into lockdown, and now new cases are at nearly zero.

The key tool in these places’ safe reopening is not social distancing. Rather, it is contact isolation.

Full coverage of the coronavirus pandemic

This policy, employed to various degrees in China, Israel and elsewhere, is a modern rendition of a strategy dating back to biblical and medieval approaches to leprosy and plague. Contact isolation is more effective than lockdowns and also less economically disruptive.

This is how it works: Most adults are permitted to return to work and routine activities, though masks, for now, should continue to be required. Anytime someone tests positive — regardless of symptoms — their close contacts are identified. The person with the positive test result and all of those contacts are then required to move temporarily into a government-run, hygienic, isolated environment — probably in a hotel or similar setting — until they can be ruled out as infectious. This process may involve testing if tests are available, or spending two or three weeks in isolation if the tests are not. For anyone who tests positive, the tracing program would extend to their close contacts, and so on.

n Hong Kong, many people get out of isolation in just a few days, thanks to the availability of tests. Daily tests per capita in America today are higher than in most countries with contact isolation programs, so it is likely that a similar pattern would occur among Americans.

This strategy is highly effective at breaking the chain of transmission, not least because contacts are presumptively isolated. Thus, contact isolation does not depend on mass testing but, rather, reduces the load on the testing infrastructure.

This system also encourages compliance because the centralized facilities would provide isolated individuals with all their basic needs (plus daily supervision so they would get treatment if they become sick). Food and medication can be delivered, WiFi would be free, and governments should provide financial compensation for lost work time. And, since covid-19 is much less dangerous to kids, families could choose for their children to be quarantined with them or separately, whichever they prefer. All of this would require legislation by state governments, but none of it is infeasible.

Alas, contact isolation sounds scary to many people. It conjures images of internment, stigmatization or family separation. But the truth is that the curtailment of our liberties would be minuscule compared with the society-wide lockdowns Americans have been enduring.

Contact isolation should be mandatory, but individuals who resist should simply be ticketed an amount sufficient to motivate compliance — not hauled off at gunpoint! Failure to pay tickets would trigger the kind of legal procedures we have for serious traffic violations. Some people would refuse, but the threat of fines and the promise of compensatory wages would work for most.

Notably, contact isolation does not require near-total compliance to be effective. Israel has pushed the spread of covid-19 to low levels with very modest amounts of centralized quarantining (just three main sites), alongside a stringent program for tracking carriers.

It’s hard to estimate how much isolation would be enough, but some basic math may be illustrative. Before social distancing measures, a person infected by covid-19 in America could be expected to infect an average of 1.5 to 2 other people. But that’s just an average: A “superspreader” might infect 100 other people, while many infected people might not infect anyone else, so tracking data indicates that more than half of coronavirus transmission is driven by fewer than half of infectious people. Even if this skew is quite moderate, average new infections per case fall to 0.7 to 1 (the level at which the disease will gradually vanish on its own, and the current level in most states) by isolating just 20 to 40 percent of infectious people.

With a few other measures, such as mask requirements — and given the fact that as summer begins, schools definitely won’t reopen soon — I estimate that contact isolation could enable the near-total reopening of businesses and moderate-size assemblies within six weeks. The better the isolation program, the sooner, and the fewer other measures will be needed.

Return to New York Knicks