Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Re: OT: DIY 

Post#221 » by trwi7 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:37 pm

jmart762 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:
jmart762 wrote:Damn, that's inspiring! What Scandinavian designer is that?

Kay Bojesen I think
Neat, that's what I suspected. I have one of her monkeys.

Go on...
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#222 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:11 pm

trwi7 wrote:
jmart762 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:Kay Bojesen I think
Neat, that's what I suspected. I have one of her monkeys.

Go on...

It's a he actually :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kay_Bojesen
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#223 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:07 am

Stuck in the house so I decided to clean up the workshop
Found some aluminium and some coloured acrylics I had bought from an art supplies shop

Long story short I cut it all up, glued it with epoxy and skewered it with a steel tube

then there was a lot of shaping with files, and a lot of sanding, and then I fit in the mechanism from a pretty standard mechanical pencil

First time I'm doing this sort of thing and it still has some imperfections that I need to clean up, but I kinda like it. The steel tube gives it some extra weight that you don't expect when you first hold it, and it's way thicker than a normal pencil, which suits my giant hands just fine. Normally I give those things away to friends and family, but I think I'm keeping this one for myself :D
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#224 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:38 pm

^^^ great stuff
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#225 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:47 pm

After a bit of testing I decided to remove the front segment and make a slightly bigger one, it supports my fingers better

and while at it I moved the collet for the top button a little deeper for a better fit

Now to make some leather working tools, to make a leather case for it :D
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Post#226 » by midranger » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:19 pm

Sick big hand flex.

:P
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Post#227 » by midranger » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:23 pm

Re: exhaust fans

I believe back when people used to exhaust them directly into their attic space. Of course the insulation would get all moldy and wood would rot.

If she was a super old lady and it looks like a fan was hastily removed and replaced with a light to pass inspection, you do have to make sure it is actually vented outside. The longer the run, the more powerful (and expensive) the fan you need.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#228 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 12:20 am

Long overdue update time. Right around the time the Bucks season ended a year ago I finally got the green light from the wife to do a small scale renovation of our piece of **** 1940s weatherboard. We had been planning on knocking the house down put ended up deciding we didn't want that much debt. I drew up a very rough sketch of how I wanted to rearrange all but two rooms of our little house and extend out to the back verandah roof line. I wanted a small house that opened up out to our backyard for entertaining.

I started with a walk in robe in our bedroom then carved off some of the entry to add a wardrobe to our son's small room. After that there was a lot of re-stumping to do which sucked (and is still ongoing).
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#229 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 12:37 am

Will post pics once I can figure out what I'm doing wrong
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,328

Post#230 » by crkone » Mon May 18, 2020 12:52 am

AussieBuck wrote:Will post pics once I can figure out what I'm doing wrong
Imgur's pretty good for posting projects.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#231 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 12:54 am

crkone wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Will post pics once I can figure out what I'm doing wrong
Imgur's pretty good for posting projects.

I'm trying! :lol:
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#232 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 1:01 am

DIY re-stumping

emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#233 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 1:07 am

Broke up the hard labour by getting a new front door from what turned out to be the same place that Pachinko gets his windows and doors.

(ignore the shoddy architrave work it was just temporary to keep out the cold)

So the project was underway at least until early July when I broke my ankle.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#234 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 1:16 am

Once I could put enough weight on my foot to lift heavy things again, I attacked the ugly old rotten corner window on the front lounge room that would soon be split into a bedroom and bathroom.

emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,660

Post#235 » by MikeIsGood » Mon May 18, 2020 3:48 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
Spoiler:
Stuck in the house so I decided to clean up the workshop
Found some aluminium and some coloured acrylics I had bought from an art supplies shop

Long story short I cut it all up, glued it with epoxy and skewered it with a steel tube

then there was a lot of shaping with files, and a lot of sanding, and then I fit in the mechanism from a pretty standard mechanical pencil

First time I'm doing this sort of thing and it still has some imperfections that I need to clean up, but I kinda like it. The steel tube gives it some extra weight that you don't expect when you first hold it, and it's way thicker than a normal pencil, which suits my giant hands just fine. Normally I give those things away to friends and family, but I think I'm keeping this one for myself :D

I don't really come in this thread so I just found this, but it's so freaking cool. I wish my mind worked this way...and that my hands could also cooperate :lol:
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#236 » by Pachinko_ » Mon May 18, 2020 1:37 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Once I could put enough weight on my foot to lift heavy things again, I attacked the ugly old rotten corner window on the front lounge room that would soon be split into a bedroom and bathroom.

hooo boy, looks like a big job
If you need a hand (or tools) give us a shout
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#237 » by Pachinko_ » Mon May 18, 2020 1:48 pm

Sometimes I need to get away from woodworking with all the dust etc, so I started putting together a leatherworking kit.
First step was to make a toolbox for it, something presentable I can keep in Mrs Pachinko's domain, ie inside the house.
I ended up making this

I made a removable tray that I can put in the tools I'll be using and take it with me to the big table so I don't have to go back and forth

I turned this knob on the lathe, it's just some buttons cast in epoxy, a piece of solid brass and a screw.

Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#238 » by Pachinko_ » Mon May 18, 2020 2:00 pm

The shops charge leather workers some crazy prices for tools, so half the stuff I made myself. COVID really boosted my productivity :lol:

This is a stitching pony, it clamps on the table and it holds leather upright so you can lace it. That was a fair bit of work but I wanted it to look nice

underneath it is a stitching awl, very useful for both woodworking and leatherworking. I've made about 20 of those the last few days, it seems everyone who's seen it wants one.

Then I made a jeweler's maul. The handle is made of stacked leather strips (feels great in the hand) and the top is actually recycled milk cartons. I literally melted them in the oven inside a tin from Heinz beans :lol:
Came out good, it looks a bit like marble

they actually charge a 150 bucks for those things :o

Same day I think, I turned some new handles for my files

and a little burnishing tool. You use that to smoothen & shine the edges of your leather

and many more little things, like this brass hammer

turns out you need to be a woodworker before you become a leather worker
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#239 » by Pachinko_ » Mon May 18, 2020 2:04 pm

And then finally I got to cutting some leather

First I took it nice and easy, I made a simple NATO strap for my Seiko baby tuna. And because I custom made it for my wrist, it only has one hole :lol:

Single hole makes for a clean look :D
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#240 » by Pachinko_ » Mon May 18, 2020 2:11 pm

And then Mrs Pachinko noticed that I can actually stitch leather. Ah well, you gotta do what you gotta do :D

This actually wasn't as hard as it looks, same rules apply: design, measure, cut, join, finish

Return to Milwaukee Bucks