2020 SPURS FREE AGENCY THREAD

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,349

2020 SPURS FREE AGENCY THREAD 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:51 pm

This thread will be for realistic options of who we can go after to fill in gaps. We don't have a lot of room (still checking the numbers) but we're potentially losing four roster players - DD, Beli, Bryn, and Jakob. Pau's contract is off the books, but Carroll's maddeningly still will be for next year.

I moved the Campazzo posts to this thread since if we do acquire him it will be through signing him not drafting.

-----------------------------------------------------

Well well well... I do recall being impressed with his hustle despite his size during FIBA WC 2019. Made impactful plays time and again. It's surely insurance should we lose some guards, or re-sign and then have as assets for a future trade. Or we just like his game and think he'd be a good fit. Or due diligence. I like him.

Anyway, gump, look away at the following:

"Multiple sources confirm that Campazzo is on the radar of the Dallas Mavericks and San Antonio Spurs."

Campazzo is 29 years old and listed at 195 pounds and 5-11. He averaged 9.9 points and 7.1 rebounds in the Euroleague games this season. In the ACB league, he averaged 10.0 points and 5.0 assists.

This is more promising:
Campazzo is known for being a staunch defender on the perimeter despite his height.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/report-spurs-eyeing-argentinian-guard-facundo-campazzo

Some highlights linked from article above:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Re: 2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD 

Post#2 » by imagump1313 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:14 am

GREY 1769 wrote:Well well well... I do recall being impressed with his hustle despite his size during FIBA WC 2019. Made impactful plays time and again. It's surely insurance should we lose some guards, or re-sign and then have as assets for a future trade. Or we just like his game and think he'd be a good fit. Or due diligence. I like him.

"Multiple sources confirm that Campazzo is on the radar of the Dallas Mavericks and San Antonio Spurs."

Campazzo is 29 years old and listed at 195 pounds and 5-11. He averaged 9.9 points and 7.1 rebounds in the Euroleague games this season. In the ACB league, he averaged 10.0 points and 5.0 assists.

This is more promising:
Campazzo is known for being a staunch defender on the perimeter despite his height.

I'm all for the little guy but 29 years old? We already have and old guard in Ledbetter who is bigger, and a better shooter and he cant even make the team. I did notice him in FIBA also, but like Pop said. Some of these guys play like heroes for their country. Its different. Metu looks like an all star in FIBA tournaments but is an fringe NBA player.

I'm all for it with a 2nd round pick though.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:29 am

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Well well well... I do recall being impressed with his hustle despite his size during FIBA WC 2019. Made impactful plays time and again. It's surely insurance should we lose some guards, or re-sign and then have as assets for a future trade. Or we just like his game and think he'd be a good fit. Or due diligence. I like him.

This is more promising:

I'm all for the little guy but 29 years old? We already have and old guard in Ledbetter who is bigger, and a better shooter and he cant even make the team. I did notice him in FIBA also, but like Pop said. Some of these guys play like heroes for their country. Its different. Metu looks like an all star in FIBA tournaments but is an fringe NBA player.

I'm all for it with a 2nd round pick though.

He went undrafted so I think we would just sign him as FA if I understand correctly (he said he has a NBA buyout clause).

It's interesting that we've so far as has reached public ears reached out to two guards. Both are great playmakers who can hit the 3. Campazzo made some unreal passes in that FIBA collection. Euro fans have stated that's just how he plays and has been able to carve a career for himself, but good point about guys playing with an extra spirit when playing for their country. Patty is another great example, and I love him. Jeff and Quinn can each make a case for themselves, but neither passes like Campazzo. Each has his strength. I am surprised because we've been trending away from smaller guards, but if a guy can play...

Anyway, it may be an indicator that we're looking to shore up at the guard position and so perhaps we're preparing should we lose at least two guards.

EDIT to add: As I'm watching 2014 Game 5 Finals (SUCH. A. CLASSIC!), it occurs to me that what we're needing are players who have that relentless, no-giving-up-no-matter what way about them. We have a lot of competitive guys, but we've played at times this season as if some guys were trying to do too much, others looking at others to do something. Campazzo just has that way about him - not only that never give up no matter what spirit, but also the crafty ability to make special plays at the right time.

NBA game is a lot faster, and like you said, he won't get any faster, but he's been playing against bigger payers his whole career, and can step in and make instant impact. His experience and willingness to pass means a steady presence in those times that need it. But I'm getting ahead of myself right now, and sort of projecting Manu / half hoping this gets Manu's juices flowing to help out on the bench. For now, interesting choices about who we've reached out to.

p.s.s. In terms of team building, he's one of those guys that could rally a team, and a team would be willing to rally around him. We were not the sum of our parts this season, and need these types of guys all the more.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by imagump1313 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:56 am

GREY 1769 wrote:He went undrafted so I think we would just sign him as FA if I understand correctly (he said he has a NBA buyout clause).

It's interesting that we've so far as has reached public ears reached out to two guards. Both are great playmakers who can hit the 3. Campazzo made some unreal passes in that FIBA collection. Euro fans have stated that's just how he plays and has been able to carve a career for himself, but good point about guys playing with an extra spirit when playing for their country. Patty is another great example, and I love him. Jeff and Quinn can each make a case for themselves, but neither passes like Campazzo. Each has his strength. I am surprised because we've been trending away from smaller guards, but if a guy can play...

Anyway, it may be an indicator that we're looking to shore up at the guard position and so perhaps we're preparing should we lose at least two guards.

EDIT to add: As I'm watching 2014 Game 5 Finals (SUCH. A. CLASSIC!), it occurs to me that what we're needing are players who have that relentless, no-giving-up-no-matter what way about them. We have a lot of competitive guys, but we've played at times this season as if some guys were trying to do too much, others looking at others to do something. Campazzo just has that way about him - not only that never give up no matter what spirit, but also the crafty ability to make special plays at the right time.

NBA game is a lot faster, and like you said, he won't get any faster, but he's been playing against bigger payers his whole career, and can step in and make instant impact. His experience and willingness to pass means a steady presence in those times that need it. But I'm getting ahead of myself right now, and sort of projecting Manu / half hoping this gets Manu's juices flowing to help out on the bench. For now, interesting choices about who we've reached out to.

p.s.s. In terms of team building, he's one of those guys that could rally a team, and a team would be willing to rally around him. We were not the sum of our parts this season, and need these types of guys all the more.

Ahh, I thought we had to use a draft pick. Im cool with him as a FA. I'm afraid he just doesn't fit what we are doing though with his age. By the time we MIGHT be good again he will be 31-32? Like I said, this year is done and next year will be a waste, The next real NBA season is going to be the year after that when all these contracts are off the books.
He might be a better fit with a team that's ready to win now. Kind of like Mills, by the time we are ready to win again he will be too old to have around.

Totally agree about that 2014 team. unfortunately for us, our 3 best and highest price players now are only competitive in a sense of getting their own numbers, not winning games. Soo much different that the 13-14 teams.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:36 am

imagump1313 wrote:
Spoiler:
GREY 1769 wrote:He went undrafted so I think we would just sign him as FA if I understand correctly (he said he has a NBA buyout clause).

Ahh, I thought we had to use a draft pick. Im cool with him as a FA. I'm afraid he just doesn't fit what we are doing though with his age. By the time we MIGHT be good again he will be 31-32? Like I said, this year is done and next year will be a waste, The next real NBA season is going to be the year after that when all these contracts are off the books.
He might be a better fit with a team that's ready to win now. Kind of like Mills, by the time we are ready to win again he will be too old to have around.

Totally agree about that 2014 team. unfortunately for us, our 3 best and highest price players now are only competitive in a sense of getting their own numbers, not winning games. Soo much different that the 13-14 teams.

Yeah someone was asking in another thread here about which teams we could trade DD to should he opt in, and looking some things up it surprised me (I don't know why) that he has had the highest usage percentage on the team this season. His assist numbers have increased, but man does he ever take his time in getting his shot off when probing, and that just allows defences to recover. SUCH a contrast to the way we played in 2014, when any number of players could have held onto the ball, but the movement off ball and crisp passing was incredible and kept defences off balance. Even when Tony held onto the ball, it was with some pace/off-pace moves, and always probing and thus purposeful - drive, P&R, pass, or shoot.

I think with Campazzo, what he does fit is not so much the timeline you've mentioned, but the presence on the team to raise the floor and absolutely not allow any head hanging. And I think he could set and maintain an example of team basketball. I have a feeling that if we sign him, he instantly becomes our best passing PG (which says something about our need in that respect). Neither Bryn nor Beli really do that for us (though Beli's the better of the two in passing). Patty and Derrick are more than willing but get secondary minutes. DJ is still learning to facilitate beyond the basic fundamental way (and even there he has some work to do ie/ P&R). My sense is that we are trying to find impactful guys that facilitate even as we transition to the younger group. I think it's always good to have experienced players who've been in various pressure situations that the young guys can be around and keep learning.

It's not like Campazzo would be taking significant minutes away from anyone's development, but would nevertheless have an important team role. I feel like DD has impacted DJ about the importance of the mid-range, for instance, and Campazzo could well do the same in terms of vision and passing. Sort of a spirit/team-first/glue/impact guy with experience. Plus the Argentina factor can only be beneficial. Just a different ethos and the more we can be infused with that the better.

Say we lose all three of Beli, Bryn, and DD. That means DJ/LWIV/maybe KJ at the 1-2-3, then Patty/DW/? at the 3 - suddenly we're not so stacked as needing players to fill roles. We do need a third PG who can step in should anything happen to any of the others as we've seen happen before. I'm more than fine with an experienced, team-first PG for that, but we REALLY need to get a true 3 very finally, be it trade or draft or both.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Draft2020
Freshman
And1: 53

Mavericks and Spurs target Facundo Campazzo - the best PG in the Eurolegue 

Post#6 » by Draft2020 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:38 pm

so a lot of rumours around Europe says that Campazzo will leave Real Madrid to the NBA this summer.
a report said that Spurs and Mavericks are both already interesting in the player.
your thoughts about it? can he be also a good player in the NBA?

Source - https://sportando.basketball/en/mavericks-and-spurs-target-facundo-campazzo-real-madrid-on-nick-calathes/
Read on Twitter
?s=20
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Mon May 4, 2020 7:08 pm

Campazzo's buyout is hefty:
According to Clarín, the exit clause in the Argentinean’s contact is estimated between 6 and 8 million dollars

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/1026626/campazzos-buyout-did-not-increase-after-copa-del-rey-door-to-the-nba-still-open/
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Mon May 4, 2020 10:56 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:Campazzo's buyout is hefty:
According to Clarín, the exit clause in the Argentinean’s contact is estimated between 6 and 8 million dollars

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/1026626/campazzos-buyout-did-not-increase-after-copa-del-rey-door-to-the-nba-still-open/

That kills it for me. If his size/age weren't deterrent enough, any other PITA detail to get him is too much
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Mon May 4, 2020 11:37 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Campazzo's buyout is hefty:

That kills it for me. If his size/age weren't deterrent enough, any other PITA detail to get him is too much

I wonder how these Euro buyouts work with respect to the cap. Haven't found the answer yet. If it doesn't count towards the cap, then I don't really care. So then the NBA contract would just be what we could fit under our cap. It would have to be a sweet spot for both sides, maybe two to three years or a 2+1?
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

2020 FREE AGENCY THREAD 

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Tue May 5, 2020 5:40 pm

One player we reportedly expressed interest in previously was Jabari Parker. He has a player option for next season at $6.5M. Rudy has been serviceable but declined this season, and our overall results came in part from players not playing to at least at their previous season's levels, which was really a baseline.

Parker is 25, 6'8", a 4, so physically comparable to Rudy. He has been through several teams already in just a few years in the league. But I do wonder whether we're willing to take on another reclamation project whose 3&D numbers are poor. He's the one who said that they don't pay players to play defense, and then lost his spot on the rotation. Tantalizing tools, but I'd like a guy who takes pride on the defensive end. Perhaps he's taken a look at his career and will consider an attitude and play adjustment. Maybe it's a question of maturity and humility over time - if not, he's got a Melo-like trajectory. Trey said some dumb things, too, was open about growing up since then, and has improved well in our system.

Also, Parker had two knee injuries to overcome - this has affected lateral movement which is important in defending, even if he started to give consistent effort.

Sounds like I'm convincing myself out of this option as soon as I'm suggesting it, but bring him up because of previous whispers of our interest and we don't have many options financially. Just not sure we'd like to take on another bad 3&D - unless he shows a willingness to engage and improve both like Trey has.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#11 » by G R E Y » Tue May 5, 2020 6:17 pm

For the record, ideally, DD opts out and we can S&T him to his new destination, Beli walks, Bryn re-signs on a team-friendly deal and does not start, Jackob re-signs and works on his FTs for the next five months.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by imagump1313 » Tue May 5, 2020 9:52 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:For the record, ideally, DD opts out and we can S&T him to his new destination, Beli walks, Bryn re-signs on a team-friendly deal and does not start, Jackob re-signs and works on his FTs for the next five months.

This is what we needs to happen for rebuilding.

A draft pick at #13 that can play right away would help also.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Re: 2020 FREE AGENCY THREAD 

Post#13 » by imagump1313 » Tue May 5, 2020 9:57 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:One player we reportedly expressed interest in previously was Jabari Parker. He has a player option for next season at $6.5M. Rudy has been serviceable but declined this season, and our overall results came in part from players not playing to at least at their previous season's levels, which was really a baseline.

Parker is 25, 6'8", a 4, so physically comparable to Rudy. He has been through several teams already in just a few years in the league. But I do wonder whether we're willing to take on another reclamation project whose 3&D numbers are poor. He's the one who said that they don't pay players to play defense, and then lost his spot on the rotation. Tantalizing tools, but I'd like a guy who takes pride on the defensive end. Perhaps he's taken a look at his career and will consider an attitude and play adjustment. Maybe it's a question of maturity and humility over time - if not, he's got a Melo-like trajectory. Trey said some dumb things, too, was open about growing up since then, and has improved well in our system.

Also, Parker had two knee injuries to overcome - this has affected lateral movement which is important in defending, even if he started to give consistent effort.

Sounds like I'm convincing myself out of this option as soon as I'm suggesting it, but bring him up because of previous whispers of our interest and we don't have many options financially. Just not sure we'd like to take on another bad 3&D - unless he shows a willingness to engage and improve both like Trey has.

I've always liked Parker, If he could ever grow out of the "I dont care about defense because Im great offensively" mentality he could be a nice role player. (Surprising from a Duke player he doesn't at least try to play defense)
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: 2020 SPURS FREE AGENCY THREAD 

Post#14 » by G R E Y » Mon May 18, 2020 3:30 am

This Air Alamo article has three prospective players we should pursue in free agency. Of course, with the current pandemic and its ripple effects on the cap going forward, there's no telling which teams will end up with what space. Nevertheless, here are the players they suggest. I think these are from most to least realistic given the fit, opportunity (in terms of the role they can play for us and whether we may be able to offer them enough of a financial incentive to come to us).

These three players are great fits for San Antonio and could slot in for the silver and black without taking away from other players in the lineup.

Christian Wood, Detroit Pistons
During 62 games with the Pistons, Wood averaged 13.1 points per game on 56.7 percent shooting from the field and a noteworthy 38.6 percent shooting from deep. He’s a skilled rebounder, averaging 14.5 boards per 100 possessions which would rank second on the Spurs of qualifying players.

What stood out the most was his sustained scoring prowess once the keys to the team were handed over to him. Wood posted 22.3 points, 9.5 rebounds and a block over his final 15 games of the season and even increased his shooting percentages in the process. He’s a versatile scorer and an even more versatile defensive player at 24-years-old.

If I were the Spurs, Wood instantly becomes my No. 1 target in free agency this year. I’d do whatever it takes to get him in San Antonio because of his upside, versatility and ability to play both big man positions alongside LaMarcus Aldridge, Jakob Poeltl and Trey Lyles.

https://airalamo.com/2020/05/16/san-antonio-spurs-three-must-sign-free-agency-targets-20-offseason/2/

Though he's bounced around the league for the first three years of his career, he looks to have put more of his game together and has had a career year:

SUMMARY G PTS TRB AST FG% FG3% FT% eFG% PER WS

2019-20 62 13.1 6.3 1.0 56.7 38.6 74.4 62.0 23.2 5.1

Career 113 9.5 4.8 0.6 54.6 36.8 73.4 59.4 22.0 6.4
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/woodch01.html#all_contracts_det

The thing is, regardless of whatever adjustments will happen to the cap, Detroit is fourth in terms of space. They'll have more money to throw at Wood. I guess it depends on the opportunity and growth and team culture he feels is best for him. I'd much rather develop under Pop and Timmy, but I'm biased. He'd have an instant starting role here, I think, slotting LMA back to his natural position and Trey could move to the bench with Jakob. OR Wood could be part of an important bench unit alongside Jakob. Christian would have to be excited about the opportunity over the money, at least initially, because we will have far more cap space in 2021. Made only $1,645,357 this season. Will be only 25 by the time next season starts.

Jerami Grant, Denver Nuggets
Everything that the San Antonio Spurs need In a frontcourt player, forward Jerami Grant can provide to them. A lengthy stretch-four who’s not afraid to play up against bigger opponents, Grant is the ideal modern frontcourt player for his floor spacing and versatile defensive imprint on every team he joins....

In 26 minutes per game, Grant averaged 11.6 points and 3.5 boards while logging 31 percent of his minutes at the small forward spot. He had some unsavory on-court/off-court number this year that would lead the Nuggets to let him walk but under the guidance of coach Popovich and the Spurs, Grant could become the high-level starter that basketball junkies have believed that he could be for years now.

Grant has a player option worth $9.3 million for next season, which is in the range of what should be expected. If he opts out, he’ll likely be looking for a raise that the Spurs would need to maneuver some contracts to make work. Moving off of Rudy Gay and replacing his minutes with Grant would be a major upgrade to the team’s defense and gives the team an added level of depth that they’re sorely lacking right now.

Plugging in a player who can defend multiple positions at a high level while draining 40 percent of his triples would be invaluable for the retooling Spurs.

https://airalamo.com/2020/05/16/san-antonio-spurs-three-must-sign-free-agency-targets-20-offseason/3/

Another player with a career year:

2019-20 64 11.6 3.5 1.2 47.1 40.0 74.4 55.0 14.2 4.0

Career 447 9.2 3.9 1.1 46.3 34.8 66.6 52.1 12.8 22.3
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/grantje01.html#all_contracts_den

As much as I appreciate Rudy's contributions and the work he put in to recover and be a solid vet, he had a big dip in PPG and efficiency in 2s and 3s - especially for $14M(!) this year and next. Yeah. We need to move on from that. The sole best part is that his contract expires for the pivotal 2021 summer. BUT, if we can make a move to free up some space (article doesn't suggest how we'd move on from Rudy's salary without bringing comparable back, so caveat there), but we need to start considering/preparing for a higher floor moving forward.

Bogdan Bogdanovic, Sacramento Kings
Bogdanovic has been open about wanting a bigger role and rightfully so. The 27-year-old is a talented three-level scorer whose shot attempts went down from his sophomore season to now. Granted the Kings will have the right to match any offer that he may accept, the Spurs could try to lure him away with an enticing contract offer and more importantly, the chance to play for a competent organization that will help him excel.

San Antonio doesn’t have a true small forward on their roster and Bogdanovic could help them fill that role, pushing DeMar DeRozan back to his natural two-guard position for his presumptive last season with the team. He’s an accurate three-point shooter and a natural scorer who can play off of teammates or command the offense by himself.

Going out and getting a player entering his prime sends the message that the Spurs are ready to compete now. If DeRozan does opt to walk, Bogdanovic is an ideal candidate to join the team because he poses a scoring threat while spacing the floor and fitting in nicely with the likes of Derrick White and Lonnie Walker at the shooting guard and small forward spots.

He’d also be a huge upgrade from starting two-guard Bryn Forbes, whose defense is abysmal despite his deadly three-point jumper.

https://airalamo.com/2020/05/16/san-antonio-spurs-three-must-sign-free-agency-targets-20-offseason/4/

2019-20 53 14.5 3.2 3.2 43.3 36.1 72.4 54.1 14.3 2.4

Career 201 13.3 3.2 3.5 43.2 37.0 80.3 52.0 13.9 8.0
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bogdabo01.html

Well, Kings can match and have said they would (pre-pandemic). Bogdanovic is a 2/3 (article says he is a 'true 3' - is he?) and the case the article makes for slotting him in either spot makes sense, but with DeMar likely opting in, I guess the argument is not paying Bryn to fit BB in? I think gump suggested BB at some point (via trade?), and I think at the time I was not for it because of the money he'd command. Who knows in the current unpredictable climate? I think BB opts in but with the Kings committed to matching, this is the least likely option.

p.s. Lonnie has a comparable FG% and better 3% (much smaller sample size), and growing as a committed defender for what it's worth. At some point, we have to give more room to the players we've been developing.

I think we've drafted really well, and though Brian Wright made some creative moves to make space for the colossal a-hole who backed out on his word, it was an epic letdown of FA last summer. Not sure which move - getting hoodwinked by MM's word of his commitment or DC's word of his game - was worse (and losing DB - who was not so classy about his time with us and perfectly happy about a bigger role even if it was on a bad team), but Wright has some pressure, I think, in following up with a solid off-season. It felt as if our floor got lower with the misses, and though the ideas were solid to compete (and some things were beyond our control and just accrued), the reality left us with Trey (a pleasant surprise overall) and the feeling of needing to come back stronger.

The first two moves suggested in the Air Alamo article are solid and desirable to raise that floor and ceiling moving forward. Good for positional need at 4/5 and 3/4 and team fit in terms of playing a two-way, movement-oriented, transitional style.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by imagump1313 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:16 pm

All great suggestions!

Bogdan Bogdanovic:
Love this guy. I did want to trade for him earlier in the season. Only way to afford getting him in free agency is if DeRozan is outta here and I don't think that's happening. Sacramento should match whatever he gets but that franchise has done dumb things before. I'm not as in love as I once was but still would want him over DeRozan.

Jerami Grant:
You're right. He is exactly what this team needs. I'm afraid he will want too much money but if we can move on from Rudy Gay before his contract ends I would replace that salary in a second for Grant.

Christian Wood:
Easily my favorite player on Detroit. Seems to have figured some things out, plays with effort and can score. Has a ton of highlight dunks as well. Bad thing is Detroit has a history of overpaying for everyone (They are still paying for Josh Smith LOL) so I doubt we will have a chance to get him. (Maybe they would bite on a sign and trade with DeRozan involved?, They are a pretty dumb franchise as well and being reunited with Casey might be an angle?)

Can we just get all three and make Aldridge, DeRozan and Gay disappear? :lol:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#16 » by G R E Y » Tue May 19, 2020 8:31 am

Thanks for the insights, gump. I think each (especially the two bigs) would bring much needed versatility to our game.

I've been looking at some of our stats this season, and Christian Wood and Jerami Grant would instantly raise our floor in 3&D and overall efficiency. We'd have to create some roster spots, and assuming Beli is one of them, with DC out, there's enough room in solely that sense.

Another player that has reportedly drawn interest from two NBA teams (which ones is a mystery) is Argetinean Gabriel Deck. He has since been listed as one of the top 10 Euros most likely to move to the NBA.

Deck, a forward, is 25, 6'8" (though some sites list him at 6'6"), 232lbs. The articles above state he has one year left with Real Madrid and has an NBA out clause (amount unstated). I really like his compete level and play vision (understands the game), but wonder the extent to which he benefits from the systems in RM and the national team. He's not the most athletic player and benefits from the slower game even as he has good awareness in transition. Sort of a confident make something out of a sliver of a chance type of player, finishing with a contorted body at times, but still making his shots go it.

He had a bigger role in FIBA WC last summer and did well to post career numbers in 13.9PPG. Surprisingly only averages 1.1 assists per game between his two seasons at RM and the NT.

Good range, slow shot release. Smart player, knows where to be without the ball and get to open spaces and do his part in the P&R; active. Confident driver, finishes well at the rim. Unpolished handles. Some decent footwork in post-up game.

I wonder if he's on our radar?
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#17 » by G R E Y » Fri Jun 5, 2020 2:51 am

Well that's that:
Read on Twitter

Also, if this is the case, it's a wonder Nikola hasn't found his way to the NBA yet:
Read on Twitter

He's more of a traditional center, and the game has changed so much so quickly that a completely non-3 shooting C - which we already have in Jakob on a rookie contract - is less a priority. I don't want to reduce his game to just 3s though. He's solid all around. Maybe the buyout is prohibitive, maybe he wants to stay where he is with the role he has there. I'm still curious about his fit and potential with us, but it's not looking likely any time soon.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#18 » by G R E Y » Fri Jun 5, 2020 3:00 am

Well this is a positive:
Read on Twitter

Not sure how we could possibly afford him. How much cap space would we have should DD, Beli, and Bryn leave, and with Pau's cap money coming off the books? I hope we can put an offer together that entices him.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#19 » by G R E Y » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:13 am

So about a couple of previously mentioned FA targets:
Read on Twitter

I don't trust this source and haven't found anything from Bobby Marks about it, but assuming it's accurate since Marks is sourced, this is a very good price for a player who made big strides in his game and fits a need.

On the other hand:
Grant and the Denver Nuggets have significant mutual interest on a new deal.

The Detroit Pistons, Phoenix Suns and Dallas Mavericks are also expected to show interest in Grant.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259901/Jerami-Grant-To-Receive-Interest-From-Nuggets-Pistons-Suns-Mavericks

We're not mentioned as suitors, and it may have something to do with a $14-$16M/yr range he's reportedly looking for (trying to find again where I read that). We have to re-sign Derrick and there's strong mutual interest between Grant and Denver, so I expect each team to concentrate on retaining their respective assets.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#20 » by G R E Y » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:16 am

So this would affect us with respect to Bryn and Beli, but now I wonder whether the dates for UFAs (Jakob, Drew, Q) and POs (DeMar) are pushed back as well?
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs