ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 572

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#381 » by MasterGMer » Wed May 13, 2020 5:49 pm

Bensational wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:How do you guys think of this one: Haowen Guo from China. He is only 20 years old and has attended 2019 Nike Hoop Summit. He was the leading scorer in the U19 FIBA World Cup and he will be eligible in the Class of 2022. Dude is 6'7 and plays PG. Great ball skills and speed. Could be a first round pick.

Why isn't he eligible to be drafted now? He's old enough, right? Or still under contract in China?

Looks promising. A player of that height with those skills. But, he's also playing against boys and dominating them because he's so much physically bigger than them.

Could be a good stash prospect? Could also be good to have one of China's better players in terms of marketability for the team and putting us on the map internationally at least. But considering there's brewing tensions between the nations and the Magic's owners are staunch Republicans, I don't see them being inclined to cross the picket line, so to speak.

It is not America and China. It is just Donald Trump's administration, because he is losing this election 2020 because of Coronavirus.

Guo will be a good player. He is quick and tall. Could he be a lottery pick?
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#382 » by MagicFan101 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:07 pm

The new CBS mock draft has Orlando taking Washington C Isaiah Stewart while Devin Vassell is still on the board.

Now, reading the breakdowns it appears this mock is really a big board with current team draft projections paired alongside rather than a true mock with any fit taken into account.

Still, many people are claiming we might need to trade up to get Vassell but I keep seeing mocks claiming he very well could be available ...

Hopefully that remains the case on the draft night.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#383 » by drsd » Mon May 18, 2020 8:49 am

MagicFan101 wrote:The new CBS mock draft has Orlando taking Washington C Isaiah Stewart while Devin Vassell is still on the board.

Now, reading the breakdowns it appears this mock is really a big board with current team draft projections paired alongside rather than a true mock with any fit taken into account.

Still, many people are claiming we might need to trade up to get Vassell but I keep seeing mocks claiming he very well could be available ...

What are the tangible differences in Devin Vassell and Anthony Edwards? If their metrics are similar, then yes Vassell would be a value pick even if the Magic needed to trade-up a touch.

For example: I see more value in Orlando trading up to #11 with the Spurs for Vassell's rights by adding in the 2020 SRP and a 2022 FRP, than trading Gordon, Bamba, the 2020 FRP and the 2022 FRP to the Warriors for a bad contract and the rights to Edwards.

MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#384 » by MagicFan101 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:27 pm

drsd wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:The new CBS mock draft has Orlando taking Washington C Isaiah Stewart while Devin Vassell is still on the board.

What are the tangible differences in Devin Vassell and Anthony Edwards? If their metrics are similar, then yes Vassell would be a value pick even if the Magic needed to trade-up a touch.

For example: I see more value in Orlando trading up to #11 with the Spurs for Vassell's rights by adding in the 2020 SRP and a 2022 FRP, than trading Gordon, Bamba, the 2020 FRP and the 2022 FRP to the Warriors for a bad contract and the rights to Edwards.

First, mock drafts currently show Vassell available with the #16 pick. So we may not need to trade up at all.

Second, why are we comparing a fringe non-lottery pick to the likely #1 overall pick?

These are not the same quality prospects ... at all.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#385 » by drsd » Mon May 18, 2020 4:37 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:First, mock drafts currently show Vassell available with the #16 pick. So we may not need to trade up at all.

Second, why are we comparing a fringe non-lottery pick to the likely #1 overall pick?

To quote me:
"What are the tangible differences in Devin Vassell and Anthony Edwards? "

I do not know and I would like an informed discussion. For me the hype on Edwards seems extreme. Why?
If Vassell has a better body and has a better 3-ball than why is Edwards a better prospect?

//
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#386 » by MagicFan101 » Mon May 18, 2020 6:35 pm

drsd wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:First, mock drafts currently show Vassell available with the #16 pick. So we may not need to trade up at all.

To quote me:

I do not know and I would like an informed discussion. For me the hype on Edwards seems extreme. Why?
If Vassell has a better body and has a better 3-ball than why is Edwards a better prospect?

//

“Better prospect” is in the eye of the beholder.

- Edwards is an uber elite athlete at the combo guard spot with comparisons to Dwayne Wade.

- Vassell is a productive 3&D role player with a high floor and low ceiling.

Will Edwards make the most of his athletic gifts and translate them into basketball skills? I don’t know but I do know NBA GMs are arrogant and will draft the unteachable assets over the safe bet 9/10.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#387 » by Xatticus » Mon May 18, 2020 6:42 pm

drsd wrote:

To quote me:

//

They are polar opposites as prospects.

Vassell is a high-floor, low-ceiling prospect. He has good length and is a cerebral team defender. He is a good shooter, but he has zero facilitation. He should be a solid 3nD wing. He is good value if he is there when we pick, but I wouldn't trade up to acquire him.

Edwards is a high-ceiling prospect with significant bust potential. He is a physical specimen with an arsenal of offensive moves, but he is a questionable shooter with an even more questionable shot selection. Edwards is going to be ball dominant. That's not a good thing unless he learns to harness his physical tools. If everything clicks with Edwards, he could become a star, but I wouldn't bet on that happening. He is the consensus number one in this draft, but it is really unlikely that he would've gone in the top five of the 2018 draft. I could see the top pick getting traded this year depending on who gets it because I think there are a bunch of teams that just aren't going to value Edwards. Would GS or Atlanta want him? I'm not so sure. In the near term, I think he is going to do more harm than good to your chances of winning and he is going to impose himself at the offensive end, which might not be appealing to teams that have established centerpieces on that end.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,123

Post#388 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:01 am

Aaron Nesmith ?
Fits position and need....
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#389 » by jezzerinho » Tue May 19, 2020 1:01 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Aaron Nesmith ?

Personally I'd prefer someone with some playmaking upside and Nesmith looks a pure shooter.

Maxey had a down year with shooting in college but is both a good scoring threat and has some playmaking upside imo.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#390 » by zaymon » Wed May 20, 2020 9:25 pm

He doesnt fit our need for ball handlers and passers. I have mixed feelings about him, is he really better than Ross ?
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#391 » by Bensational » Thu May 21, 2020 12:12 am

zaymon wrote:

He doesnt fit our need for ball handlers and passers. I have mixed feelings about him, is he really better than Ross ?

If we picked him up, he wouldn't give us a playmaker, but he would give us a play-finisher and that's another element we're missing. The comparison to Ross is fair, but that's also an underrated positive comp. How many games has Ross bailed us out of over the past two seasons? Add one more of those guys to the mix, and you won't be unhappy. Ross/Duncan Robinson/Joe Harris/etc, those sorts of guys are great to have in a rotation, especially if on a cost controlled rookie scale contract.

Bamba
Okeke
Ross
Nesmith
DJ (or FA)

That's a ton of shooting potential in that lineup.

This might be a good draft to sneak back into if mid-first picks are going cheap, because there are a few good value prospects looking to still be on the board.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,662

Post#392 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 22, 2020 6:05 pm

The more I read about this draft, and next draft, the more I’m leaning toward wanting Orlando to take a look at Kira Lewis, Tyrell Terry, Tyrese Maxey, Theo Maledon, and possibly Bolmero or Mannion.

I say this because I don’t think Orlando will be great next season and they should instead take advantage of the stacked 2021 swingmen in that class. Then again, Orlando always decides to overachieve out of good position when there is actually a good draft at the top.

This assuming there isn’t a trade being made with the pick or current players.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#393 » by MagicFan101 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:43 pm

MagicMatic wrote:The more I read about this draft, and next draft, the more I’m leaning toward wanting Orlando to take a look at Kira Lewis, Tyrell Terry, Tyrese Maxey, Theo Maledon, and possibly Bolmero or Mannion.

I say this because I don’t think Orlando will be great next season and they should instead take advantage of the stacked 2021 swingmen in that class. Then again, Orlando always decides to overachieve out of good position when there is actually a good draft at the top.

I don’t disagree and would be excited about anyone from that list.

Still, I have to ask about one missing name I’m particularly excited about in the #16 range. Mr. Devin Vassell. I know we took a role player 3&D forward last year and might be spinning our wheels taking a role player 3&D SG in Vassell but I think those are the skills that can shine brighter on each end of the floor with Fultz’s vision and Isaac’s defensive presence.

We have a few high ceiling projects we have invested in. I want the surrounding skill players to let them develop ... especially if a clear star isn’t available for the taking.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#394 » by MagicMatic » Sat May 23, 2020 12:03 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:The more I read about this draft, and next draft, the more I’m leaning toward wanting Orlando to take a look at Kira Lewis, Tyrell Terry, Tyrese Maxey, Theo Maledon, and possibly Bolmero or Mannion.

Still, I have to ask about one missing name I’m particularly excited about in the #16 range. Mr. Devin Vassell. I know we took a role player 3&D forward last year and might be spinning our wheels taking a role player 3&D SG in Vassell but I think those are the skills that can shine brighter on each end of the floor with Fultz’s vision and Isaac’s defensive presence.

We have a few high ceiling projects we have invested in. I want the surrounding skill players to let them develop ... especially if a clear star isn’t available for the taking.

I’d be excited if Vassell was a possibility. I don’t think he’s on the board at #16 because this draft lacks two way wings at the top and he has the highest floor by far.

His skill set is too valuable, at a rookie rate, to last until our pick.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Post#395 » by Knightro » Sat May 23, 2020 1:48 am

The Ringer's latest mock...

1. Anthony Edwards
2. LaMelo Ball
3. James Wiseman
4. Deni Avdija
5. Isaac Okoro
6. Tyrese Haliburton
7. Obi Toppin
8. Tyrese Maxey
9. Onyeka Okongwu
10. Devin Vassell
11. Killian Hayes
12. RJ Hampton
13. Aaron Nesmith
14. Cole Anthony

The Magic, in theory, would have some interest in every guy selected 10-14 there.

Orlando currently slotted at 15 would potentially be looking at guys like Tyrell Terry, Kira Lewis Jr., Josh Green, Theo Maledon if the board shook out like this.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#396 » by MagicFan101 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:53 am

MagicMatic wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

I’d be excited if Vassell was a possibility. I don’t think he’s on the board at #16 because this draft lacks two way wings at the top and he has the highest floor by far.

His skill set is too valuable, at a rookie rate, to last until our pick.

I'm not giving up on him being available. He lacks a lot of the elite "non-teachable" skills you look for in a future all-star which is what most GMs hope to get out of a lottery pick. Sitting at #15-16 we are grabbing the next best after that crop which is exactly what Vassell is. Here are a few recently updated mocks.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/
Updated : 5/15/2020
Devin Vassell: Projected #22

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-mock-draft-30-anthony-edwards-moves-to-no-1-164633107.html
Updated: 5/21/2020
Devin Vassell: Projected #16

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/NBA-Mock-Draft-2020-first-round-projections-Anthony-Edwards-Onyeka-Okongwu-LaMelo-Ball-James-Wiseman-Obi-Toppin-Cole-Anthony-147333311/#147333311_9
Updated: 5/9/2020
Devin Vassell: Projected #9

The reports are all over the place on him right now. If he is there I hope the decision is easy.
Husky1
Senior
And1: 301

Post#397 » by Husky1 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:24 pm

Hoping for Okoro but I’m betting we take Tyler bey, best defender in draft with an ok offensive game. Free throw shooting is great, his shot is there. Seen a couple articles comparing him to Kawhi coming out of college. I’m hoping Boston want whos left at 15 and we can get 18/30 from then get Bey and stash a euro like bolmaro with 30. We’re gonna have a few decent back up PG to choose from at 46, hoping either Riller, Howard, Pritchard or Flynn. Don’t sleep on Bey I reckon he’s our guy
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#398 » by MagicMatic » Sat May 23, 2020 6:33 pm

Husky1 wrote:Hoping for Okoro but I’m betting we take Tyler bey, best defender in draft with an ok offensive game. Free throw shooting is great, his shot is there. Seen a couple articles comparing him to Kawhi coming out of college. I’m hoping Boston want whos left at 15 and we can get 18/30 from then get Bey and stash a euro like bolmaro with 30. We’re gonna have a few decent back up PG to choose from at 46, hoping either Riller, Howard, Pritchard or Flynn. Don’t sleep on Bey I reckon he’s our guy

Length, defense, and a limited game on offense.

Sounds like WeHams game of duplication for sure. Unfortunately you’re probably right.
Husky1
Senior

Post#399 » by Husky1 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:29 pm

not getting the Vassell hype? He's projected a Trevor Ariza at best. We already have (hopefully) a better version in Okeke. We should draft someone with a elite skill at something, so Bey (Defense), Nesmith/s.Bey (shooting) and ,Maledon (playmaking/iq). I would not be upset with Maledon either, he was the higher prospect than both other euros last year, he's only 18 and was playing in euro league for a better team than both Hayes and Avijda, so his role was limited compared to them. He's smooth and smart, doesn't jump off the page athletically or anything but still looks calm and composed. Might be perfect next to fultz.
Husky1
Senior

Post#400 » by Husky1 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:31 pm

(and just like that I think i'm back on the Maledon wagon hahaha) I mean add a skilled back court player with Fultz as well as Okeke and all the sudden were looking good. Lot depends on Bamba's development and Fultz's shot, but we get improvement in these then were cooking. Fultz/Maledon/Okeke/Isaac/Bamba.

Return to Orlando Magic