ImageImage

OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1721 » by M-C-G » Fri May 15, 2020 6:05 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:ACB is up 60% today. I'm back to even :)

Haha, I sold today and took a 10% gain, after a wild short term ride. I just looked at the Short% on Schwab and ACB was 207%, so lots of people covering their short position. It would appear when they did the Reverse Split, the Short% went nuts and at least for now they were able to recover the recent losses in share price.

I suspect once the shorts cover, they will start dogging it again BUT CGC has an earnings report coming out, I think next week, and if that has good news too, might spark the sector for some upward momentum for a while, at least enough to keep the short dogs off for a bit.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1722 » by Ruzious » Fri May 15, 2020 6:21 pm

M-C-G wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:ACB is up 60% today. I'm back to even :)

Haha, I sold today and took a 10% gain, after a wild short term ride. I just looked at the Short% on Schwab and ACB was 207%, so lots of people covering their short position. It would appear when they did the Reverse Split, the Short% went nuts and at least for now they were able to recover the recent losses in share price.

I suspect once the shorts cover, they will start dogging it again BUT CGC has an earnings report coming out, I think next week, and if that has good news too, might spark the sector for some upward momentum for a while, at least enough to keep the short dogs off for a bit.

I'm looking at the volume of shares trade on ACB today - it's crazy. 74 million and climbing. It's average daily volume is less than 3 million. That's pure trading; not investing. I'm just sticking with my slow and boring JNJ - and mostly index funds.

Edit - now ACB is up 70% on volume over 80 million shares. I can't stop watching it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,772

Post#1723 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri May 15, 2020 7:52 pm

I jumped out when it was up 73%. I will probably jump in again later on when it inevitably dips. Weed stocks look good long term.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1724 » by M-C-G » Fri May 15, 2020 8:05 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:I jumped out when it was up 73%. I will probably jump in again later on when it inevitably dips. Weed stocks look good long term.

Yeah, good for you...I might go back in on Aurora in the future, but I am pretty content with having my eggs in the CGC basket as the long term play.

At this point, I'm holding my Aurora cash until I decide to get into airlines, unless I find something interesting as a short term.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1725 » by M-C-G » Mon May 18, 2020 1:48 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:I jumped out when it was up 73%. I will probably jump in again later on when it inevitably dips. Weed stocks look good long term.

Looks like we left meat on the bone! Up another 45% at the moment, ****!
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1726 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon May 18, 2020 2:06 pm

M-C-G wrote:

Ha! Yeah was just coming here to post that. Oh well. I fail to see how ACB is the same valuation as CGC but what do I know.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#1727 » by MickeyDavis » Mon May 18, 2020 2:45 pm

Market is up an insane amount so far today. No way do I think this is a V, it's a W. Probably multiple W's.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1728 » by M-C-G » Mon May 18, 2020 4:38 pm

United up 18% right now and I haven't seen any news to support it. Airlines are trippy. Wondering if institutional bought back in today? Or maybe a short squeeze?
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#1729 » by BucksFanSD » Mon May 18, 2020 7:56 pm

Moderna posting great news that all 45 participants using their vaccine produced antibodies against COVID-19. Travel stocks doing particularly well in response.

Go science!
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1730 » by MickeyDavis » Mon May 18, 2020 8:15 pm

We've had similar vaccine/treatment bumps before (albeit not this much) so I won't get too excited. Still preparing for WWWWW
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1731 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed May 20, 2020 3:01 pm

M-C-G wrote:

And now down double digits two days in a row. Real roller coaster on this one.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1732 » by M-C-G » Wed May 20, 2020 3:16 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

And now down double digits two days in a row. Real roller coaster on this one.

I went out at 10% up, sold my wife's shares at nearly 18, which sounds fantastic, until you undo the reverse split and it was the equivalent of selling at $1.50.

I feel like I escaped this one somewhat, but I will now forever be monitoring the short position on stocks before I buy. I really underestimated the power of short positions. I will also say, there is nothing more exciting then riding a massive short squeeze.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#1733 » by BuckHole » Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 pm

BuckHole wrote:
BuckHole wrote:
BuckHole wrote:11/20/18 Gold spot price at $1221 oz. Remind me in a year if this was a good time to buy.

Gold at $1279/oz on 12/26/18. Let’s watch how high it’ll get.

Gold took a nice jump up today. It’s at $1391/oz on 5/20/19.

Physical gold at $1720/oz on 5/21/20.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#1734 » by BuckHole » Thu May 21, 2020 3:45 pm

I’m waiting for the Bitcoin halving to occur to see how it affects price. Can anyone simply explain the halving to a dummy? Is it removing half the bitcoins from the supply? Is the bitcoin price halved? Are the blockchains halved? Is it about unmined bitcoin?
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1735 » by M-C-G » Thu May 21, 2020 4:06 pm

BuckHole wrote:
BuckHole wrote:
BuckHole wrote:Gold at $1279/oz on 12/26/18. Let’s watch how high it’ll get.

My Gold investments have been pleasant. My Mining investments not so much.

Getting to the point where I am going to take my gains on the gold and put into something else, likely airlines, but that all depends one if the price craters based on Q2 earnings, which I suspect it will. If it doesn't, will probably throw a chunk into retail like Kohl's as I suspect there is a large pent up demand just chomping at the bit this next quarter. My retail play won't be long term, but probably until I see a return to historical norms.

Not sure if that is helpful, but interested in any comments or thoughts anyone has on the idea!
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#1736 » by crkone » Thu May 21, 2020 4:45 pm

I don't know about retail right now. There are quite a few unemployed people out there right now and poor consumer confidence. https://www.conference-board.org/data/consumerconfidence.cfm

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1737 » by M-C-G » Thu May 21, 2020 5:03 pm

crkone wrote:I don't know about retail right now. There are quite a few unemployed people out there right now and poor consumer confidence. https://www.conference-board.org/data/consumerconfidence.cfm

Might be early, but again, that is a fairly short term play, that I can keep until it rebounds. I might be off, but I can say at least in my household, people are ready to shop. If open bars and restaurants are in indicator of 'pent up demand', I would guess Kohl's isn't too far behind. Just my 2 cents.

My thought, is that airlines aren't going to recover at the same time as retail, so I will put some money into retail to try and ride that wave back to 'normal' and somewhere along that timeline, get out of retail and buy low into airlines. I have hashed this discussion out with a buddy over quite a few conversations. It certainly has risk, but that's my play. And then I will hang on to airline until it is back to 'normal'...wish me luck!
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1738 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 21, 2020 6:14 pm

Everyone I know and work with is in no hurry to shop when they can buy virtually everything/anything online. Retail numbers will go up since partially open vs completely closed will increase sales, something is better than nothing. I rarely do sector investing but I'd be wary about retail. Obviously some retailers do robust online sales.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1739 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 21, 2020 6:59 pm

BuckHole wrote:
BuckHole wrote:
BuckHole wrote:Gold at $1279/oz on 12/26/18. Let’s watch how high it’ll get.

I've dabbled in silver over the years. Physical, not mining, streaming or ETFs. But it's a very small part of my portfolio.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#1740 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 21, 2020 7:58 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Everyone I know and work with is in no hurry to shop when they can buy virtually everything/anything online. Retail numbers will go up since partially open vs completely closed will increase sales, something is better than nothing. I rarely do sector investing but I'd be wary about retail. Obviously some retailers do robust online sales.

I"m odd so its hard to understand the average consumer, but all the activities in quarantine make me not want to shop: re-looking at finances/spend based on pay-cuts/layoffs potential, cleaning out tons of unused clothes from closets while stuck at home cleaning, wearing the same few comfy clothes regularly making life easier, etc. I just have zero desire to go cloth shopping right now.

On the other hand, flying and seeing other people is something I can't wait to do. Hopefully promise with the Fall vaccines.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks