Bob Myers: There Was No Joy In Warriors' 2018 NBA Title

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Bob Myers: There Was No Joy In Warriors' 2018 NBA Title 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun May 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Bob Myers and Steve Kerr said they could both relate to The Last Dance, and discussed how exhausted they were after the Golden State Warriors won the 2018 NBA title.

"The second time with Kevin [in 2018] it felt like, 'Well, we just did what we were supposed to do, and great job. It wasn't joy. I'm sure a lot of people felt differently. It wasn't anybody's fault. I think there's just a weight to everything. And so I'm sure [the Bulls] felt that weight of everything, weight of relationships," said Myers.

The Warriors swept the Cavs in the NBA Finals as the team won its third title in four years.

"To be honest, [the documentary] is just confirmation of what I was saying to our team all of last year and 2018. The whole messaging for the year was based on my experience with Chicago and feeling that level of fatigue [and] emotional toll that had been over the previous four years," added Kerr.

Myers added that maintaining positive relationships was the most difficult aspect of that season.

"Winning and doing it all together is really hard. And maintaining relationships is hard. ... There's a lot more ways for it to come apart than keep it together."

Via Nick Friedell/ESPM

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: Bob Myers: There Was No Joy In Warriors' 2018 NBA Title 

Post#2 » by Spud2nique » Sun May 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Lol wanna be relaters. Ain’t nothin to relate.
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,290

Post#3 » by ciueli » Mon May 18, 2020 4:26 am

Spud2nique wrote:Lol wanna be relaters. Ain’t nothin to relate.

You're right, the Jordan Bulls played in an era with fewer playoff games and didn't go to 4 straight finals, let alone 5 like the Warriors did after 2018-19.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#4 » by Spud2nique » Mon May 18, 2020 5:26 am

ciueli wrote:

You're right, the Jordan Bulls played in an era with fewer playoff games and didn't go to 4 straight finals, let alone 5 like the Warriors did after 2018-19.

:lol: :lol: The party’ssssssss ovvvvvverrrrrr. I know it’s hard to accept it. Enjoy watching Curry squirm for the next few years. :wink:
foreigngrammar
Pro Prospect
And1: 470

Post#5 » by foreigngrammar » Mon May 18, 2020 6:47 am

Spud2nique wrote:
ciueli wrote:

:lol: :lol: The party’ssssssss ovvvvvverrrrrr. I know it’s hard to accept it. Enjoy watching Curry squirm for the next few years. :wink:

All that salt.... and smileys. Be Sugar instead!

And I am sure they, esp. Curry, couldn‘t care less
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#6 » by Spud2nique » Mon May 18, 2020 6:54 am

foreigngrammar wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
ciueli wrote:

All that salt.... and smileys. Be Sugar instead!

And I am sure they, esp. Curry, couldn‘t care less

Thanks. :roll:
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#7 » by Cookin Baskets » Mon May 18, 2020 7:05 am

I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,494

Post#8 » by GoSixersBro » Mon May 18, 2020 12:33 pm

Of course there was no joy. Add a top 3 player to any 72 win team and the whole championship thing kinda loses its luster.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#9 » by popfan » Mon May 18, 2020 4:35 pm

"I'm the Bulls felt the weight of relationships." Another smooth attempt by GSW management to associate their championship teams with greatness.

In US undergraduate marketing courses (intro-level), students are taught various strategies on how companies can succeed. For start-ups attempting to close the gap with established competition, I recall the recommended approach was to 'eliminate the differences', that is, to create the impression that the little company is just like the big company. In other words, startups are encouraged to create an illusion that their management & product are just like that of their big competition.

Q) And who owns the Warriors?
A) Silicon valley start-up stud Joe Lacob.

When the GSW org started their run in 2014-ish, Bob Myers shared with media that GSW revered the SA Spurs org and tried to emulate them. No examples were given by Bob about how GSW was achieving this. A few more stories were floated with the same message -- boy we're doing our best to use the Spurs blueprint to become successful. Except they weren't. No Spurs player would ever be so stupid as to post dick-pics on Instragram or have an assistant coach regularly out-coach the head coach. While the Spurs and the city of San Antonio certainly have their issues, you would never hear a Spurs player complain like Andre Igudala did about how his teammates are held captive like slaves or would never have a minority owner demonstrate Nazi racism towards an opposing player during the NBA finals.

Today Bob Myers wants us to believe that GSW is on par with the Bulls of the 1990s. More marketing 101 tactics. Let's make something clear -- MJ, Pip and Rodman loved one another, while Kevin Durant is a team cancer. The lack of joy in the 2018 GSW team had more to do with the supermassive black hole aka Kevin Durant and his narcissistic personality. The lack of joy certainly had nothing to do with the great Bulls teams because the GSW team of the last decade was far from remarkable. At the best the GSW team was average, as NBA champions go.

Q) How do you make Americans believe that their current generation of NBA champs are better than previous generations of champions?
A) You lie to them.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#10 » by inquisitive » Mon May 18, 2020 5:47 pm

No kidding.....took the easy way out
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Mon May 18, 2020 8:26 pm

I’m not sure if Bob Myers believes the Warriors are on par with the Bulls or not, but he absolutely should believe that.

The 2016-17 and 2017-18 Warriors were the 2 best teams I watched during my lifetime, and that includes any Jordan team. And the 2015-16 Warriors only broke the Bulls wins record. Only injuries kept them from winning another title last season (and I’m a Raps fan....)

popfan wrote:"I'm the Bulls felt the weight of relationships." Another smooth attempt by GSW management to associate their championship teams with greatness.

In US undergraduate marketing courses (intro-level), students are taught various strategies on how companies can succeed. For start-ups attempting to close the gap with established competition, I recall the recommended approach was to 'eliminate the differences', that is, to create the impression that the little company is just like the big company. In other words, startups are encouraged to create an illusion that their management & product are just like that of their big competition.

Q) And who owns the Warriors?
A) Silicon valley start-up stud Joe Lacob.

When the GSW org started their run in 2014-ish, Bob Myers shared with media that GSW revered the SA Spurs org and tried to emulate them. No examples were given by Bob about how GSW was achieving this. A few more stories were floated with the same message -- boy we're doing our best to use the Spurs blueprint to become successful. Except they weren't. No Spurs player would ever be so stupid as to post dick-pics on Instragram or have an assistant coach regularly out-coach the head coach. While the Spurs and the city of San Antonio certainly have their issues, you would never hear a Spurs player complain like Andre Igudala did about how his teammates are held captive like slaves or would never have a minority owner demonstrate Nazi racism towards an opposing player during the NBA finals.

Today Bob Myers wants us to believe that GSW is on par with the Bulls of the 1990s. More marketing 101 tactics. Let's make something clear -- MJ, Pip and Rodman loved one another, while Kevin Durant is a team cancer. The lack of joy in the 2018 GSW team had more to do with the supermassive black hole aka Kevin Durant and his narcissistic personality. The lack of joy certainly had nothing to do with the great Bulls teams because the GSW team of the last decade was far from remarkable. At the best the GSW team was average, as NBA champions go.

Q) How do you make Americans believe that their current generation of NBA champs are better than previous generations of champions?
A) You lie to them.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Wiretap Discussion