ImageImage

OT: DIY

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Re: OT: DIY 

Post#241 » by Pachinko_ » Mon May 18, 2020 2:16 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:I don't really come in this thread so I just found this, but it's so freaking cool. I wish my mind worked this way...and that my hands could also cooperate :lol:

believe it or not, until I was 35 I didn't even know how to turn a screw. I literally did not know what a screwdriver is :lol:
And then slowly all that happened... it's amazing what our brains can do, you just have to love what you're doing :D
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#242 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 9:30 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:I don't really come in this thread so I just found this, but it's so freaking cool. I wish my mind worked this way...and that my hands could also cooperate :lol:

believe it or not, until I was 35 I didn't even know how to turn a screw. I literally did not know what a screwdriver is :lol:
And then slowly all that happened... it's amazing what our brains can do, you just have to love what you're doing :D

12 years a bricklayer and I only learned how to do any other trade work after I'd thrown away my tools. People at the office "it's so handy you have the trade skills from your former career!" Me - "my man I learned that **** the day before I did it by watching youtube"
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#243 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 9:34 pm

The new window for my son's new bedroom ~100 years old or so:

emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#244 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 9:36 pm

and after installation:

emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#245 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 9:50 pm

Then I went on the spending spree through September and managed to find windows for the rest of the house other than the future kitchen and started putting them in where possible.

emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#246 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 10:00 pm

I don't have a good photo of my other son's new window but by the start of December I had 3 bedrooms, a lounge room and bathroom window in and had finished the bedrooms enough to live in comfortably. (kids had been sharing a room)

The next step of the job was to take 3 weeks off over Christmas and start the major work at the back half of the house and then I could build bathroom, kitchen, laundry, lounge and dinning rooms.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#247 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 10:08 pm

The house was built in 1942 and had rotted away and was falling into the backyard. It had a stupid ~early 90s extension added on which is this back room that was only accessible from the back bedroom I was making into a lounge.

The room was useless as is but had potential as a kitchen overlooking the backyard. I also had a plan to make it a room open to the rest of the house but the first job now I had a few days in a row to tear it apart was to put in a new window, extend out to the eave line and knock out the side wall.

Rotty McRotted out house.

emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#248 » by jute2003 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:19 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:I don't really come in this thread so I just found this, but it's so freaking cool. I wish my mind worked this way...and that my hands could also cooperate

believe it or not, until I was 35 I didn't even know how to turn a screw. I literally did not know what a screwdriver is

12 years a bricklayer and I only learned how to do any other trade work after I'd thrown away my tools. People at the office "it's so handy you have the trade skills from your former career!" Me - "my man I learned that **** the day before I did it by watching youtube"
So much of being able to do a lot of that stuff is just being willing to start. Most people are capable if they're willing to learn and take their time. It just might take 3 weeks instead of the 3 hours that a pro would take to do it.
only a fan, only an opinion
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#249 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 10:20 pm

I don't have great pics for the next parts because this is where my old phone started dying.

I had built a temp kitchen 4 years ago when we bought the place out of a friends old stuff. It needed knocking down to start opening the house up.

I found an awesome recycled timber yard and got a 200+ year old Jarrah post (12x6 inch) to hold everything up and be the centrepiece of the open plan design.

emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#250 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 10:25 pm

Then I built 2 double door width sliders to open up the extension:

I'll make my own doors one day when I get time, for now it's the cheap light weight ones but the sliders are load rated to ~500 pounds so it's a waste to only have these hollow things.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#251 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 10:29 pm

Finally I bought some beautiful Ironbark timber to dress the sliders and give the illusion of solid timber beams and posts around the door openings.

Then work got in the way for a while but I did flag with the boss that I'd need a couple of months off soon to pull down a heap of roof and finish. Covid19 came along and I took my chance mid March and took some unpaid leave to do the next section.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#252 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 18, 2020 10:38 pm

plumbing went in for the new kitchen, bathroom and laundries and I built most of the new bathroom (still waiting on electricity).

emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,904

Post#253 » by MickeyDavis » Mon May 18, 2020 10:49 pm

Good stuff. Thanks for posting pics
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,148

Post#254 » by KidA24 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:40 pm

jute2003 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:believe it or not, until I was 35 I didn't even know how to turn a screw. I literally did not know what a screwdriver is

So much of being able to do a lot of that stuff is just being willing to start. Most people are capable if they're willing to learn and take their time. It just might take 3 weeks instead of the 3 hours that a pro would take to do it.

"I didn't learn that doing..."

You learned how to learn and learned to be patient and that time (or slowing down) can often be a decent replacement for extreme skill.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#255 » by Pachinko_ » Tue May 19, 2020 12:17 am

KidA24 wrote:"I didn't learn that doing..."

You learned how to learn and learned to be patient and that time (or slowing down) can often be a decent replacement for extreme skill.

LOL true, and sometimes there is no extreme skill, just care and patience.

There's this guy on FB who constantly churns out incredible jewelry that seems impossible to make, but he doesn't share much of his processes, so people are imagining that he uses high end machines or exotic materials or whatever.
I got a chance to meet him at some point so I asked him how the **** did he make that thing. His response:
"Do you know how hedgehogs ****?"
"What? No, I don't, how?"
"Very, very, carefully." :lol:
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#256 » by Pachinko_ » Tue May 19, 2020 12:23 am

AussieBuck wrote:The new window for my son's new bedroom ~100 years old or so:

I was actually looking at some of those windows, I wanted to use the vitro glass to make a table top.
The guy is not letting them go cheaply though.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#257 » by Pachinko_ » Tue May 19, 2020 12:27 am

AussieBuck wrote:and after installation:

is this the colorbond monument colour? Can't go wrong with that :D
When you get to the point where you're wondering what lighter shade of grey goes well with it, I got the answer for you: colorbond wallaby.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#258 » by AussieBuck » Tue May 19, 2020 12:42 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:and after installation:

is this the colorbond monument colour? Can't go wrong with that :D
When you get to the point where you're wondering what lighter shade of grey goes well with it, I got the answer for you: colorbond wallaby.

That's the colour already on it. Grey outside, white inside. The weatherboards will be a grey and the windows white
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#259 » by Pachinko_ » Tue May 19, 2020 12:55 am

Nice!
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#260 » by Nowak008 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:44 am

Every time I see this thread all I can think about is this: