ImageImageImage

The Return of Sports Leagues, Around the World

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,839

Re: What happens when the NBA Returns? ~ And Other Sports Leagues 

Post#81 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue May 12, 2020 8:17 pm

Read on Twitter

If YOU were an NBA player, would you still want to try and finish the season?? I would have opened a new thread for a POLL, but there are like six people active on this board right now lol.

NEVER MIND.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,208

Post#82 » by Parliament10 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:15 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

If YOU were an NBA player, would you still want to try and finish the season?? I would have opened a new thread for a POLL, but there are like six people active on this board right now lol.

NEVER MIND.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Kool that Jayson Tatum is in on the Decision making.

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#83 » by Parliament10 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:19 pm

Read on Twitter

I found this a bit interesting.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#84 » by Parliament10 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:41 am

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#85 » by Parliament10 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:23 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,722

Post#86 » by Slax » Wed May 13, 2020 4:56 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:If YOU were an NBA player, would you still want to try and finish the season?? I would have opened a new thread for a POLL, but there are like six people active on this board right now lol.

If I were a player, absolutely. NBA players are young, in excellent shape, have very short careers, can afford to quarantine themselves from their families for a bit, and will lose out on at least hundreds of thousands of not millions of dollars. If players were the only people being put at risk, I think it would be a no-brainer to play out the season. The three question to me are:

1. Is this also worth it for coaches, trainers, media, and gameday staff? How can you protect these people who are older, less healthy, aren't being paid millions of dollars to take risks, can't afford a second household to quarantine from their families, and don't have such a short career that it's urgent to squeeze in as much work as possible to get a comfortable retirement at 35?

2. What measures can you take to prevent a super spreader event? I assume this is going to involve a couple thousand people coming into close contact with each other for a couple months. This is basically a ground zero for seeding an infectious disease. You would need some really strict testing, distancing, and isolation protocols to avoid spreading the virus between people involved and then out into the community. You also need a plan to re-suspend or cancel the season if there is an outbreak.

3. What happens if/when someone does get really sick, or even dies? This is something you need to plan for, because it's really likely. What do you do? Who gets blamed? What effect does it have on the possibility of playing *next* season?

I don't think these questions are unanswerable, but they're much bigger challenges than just motivating players to want to play again.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#87 » by jmr07019 » Wed May 13, 2020 6:06 pm

I was becoming pessimistic about the season returning but there seems to be some positive momentum! :pray:
Show Love Spread Love
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,405

Post#88 » by theman » Wed May 13, 2020 6:26 pm

I think cutting bait on this season is probably the best idea and this is from someone looking to reopen the economy. Games in empty stadiums is not appealing to me. At this point this season would end when next season is scheduled to start. Even if they cancel this season next season may not start until Christmas.

I was wondering about social distancing within the stadium.

What would people think of this idea. The teams only sell tickets in every other row and they only sell the four outside seat in those rows. This way people are not walking over one another to get to middle seats and people are not spitting on the people in front of them. Also allow people to bring in their own food to avoid concession lines.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Slax
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by Slax » Thu May 14, 2020 3:32 am

theman wrote:I think cutting bait on this season is probably the best idea and this is from someone looking to reopen the economy. Games in empty stadiums is not appealing to me. At this point this season would end when next season is scheduled to start. Even if they cancel this season next season may not start until Christmas.

What would people think of this idea. The teams only sell tickets in every other row and they only sell the four outside seat in those rows. This way people are not walking over one another to get to middle seats and people are not spitting on the people in front of them. Also allow people to bring in their own food to avoid concession lines.

To satisfy recommended social distancing of 6+ feet, you can only have people sitting in one out of every 3 or 4 seats in a row, and then go at least every other row. That would only allow a couple thousand fans into each game. I think if you tried to fit too many more people than that, you risk NBA games becoming super spreader events. Even with those really strict restrictions, it's still an event with 2000+ fans taking the subway to the same stop at the same time, lining up to get in, getting to their seats, sitting in the same giant room indoors, getting concessions at the same break times, spreading saliva by eating/drinking/yelling, and then leaving together at the same time. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but you probably at least need to be in a situation where a low percentage of Americans are infected and it's possible to do contact tracing and quarantine to control outbreaks. South Korea is pretty much already in that situation, which has allowed them to start doing athletic events again, and even they aren't allowing fans in yet.

I will say this: I'm not really planning to attend any events until there's a vaccine. And I'm a die-hard sports fanatic who used to work for a professional sports league, so that's saying a lot. So I'm curious how big the demand will be to attend sporting events in a few months.
theman
RealGM

Post#90 » by theman » Thu May 14, 2020 8:16 pm

Slax wrote:
theman wrote:I think cutting bait on this season is probably the best idea and this is from someone looking to reopen the economy. Games in empty stadiums is not appealing to me. At this point this season would end when next season is scheduled to start. Even if they cancel this season next season may not start until Christmas.

To satisfy recommended social distancing of 6+ feet, you can only have people sitting in one out of every 3 or 4 seats in a row, and then go at least every other row. That would only allow a couple thousand fans into each game. I think if you tried to fit too many more people than that, you risk NBA games becoming super spreader events. Even with those really strict restrictions, it's still an event with 2000+ fans taking the subway to the same stop at the same time, lining up to get in, getting to their seats, sitting in the same giant room indoors, getting concessions at the same break times, spreading saliva by eating/drinking/yelling, and then leaving together at the same time. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but you probably at least need to be in a situation where a low percentage of Americans are infected and it's possible to do contact tracing and quarantine to control outbreaks. South Korea is pretty much already in that situation, which has allowed them to start doing athletic events again, and even they aren't allowing fans in yet.

I will say this: I'm not really planning to attend any events until there's a vaccine. And I'm a die-hard sports fanatic who used to work for a professional sports league, so that's saying a lot. So I'm curious how big the demand will be to attend sporting events in a few months.

I agree that sporting events and concerts are probably the worst places to go (outside of hospitals and nursing homes). My idea on four seat together was a family could attend together. I don't think most people are social distancing within their homes.

No one answered before but I will ask again. If the games are played with no fans, do you think fake crowd noise is a good idea?
Slax
Assistant Coach

Post#91 » by Slax » Thu May 14, 2020 10:37 pm

theman wrote:
Slax wrote:

I agree that sporting events and concerts are probably the worst places to go (outside of hospitals and nursing homes). My idea on four seat together was a family could attend together. I don't think most people are social distancing within their homes.

No one answered before but I will ask again. If the games are played with no fans, do you think fake crowd noise is a good idea?

Sure why not. In South Korea they're putting up pictures of fans in the stands, you could probably do that too.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,463

Post#92 » by KGtabake » Sat May 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#93 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:00 am

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
theman
RealGM

Post#94 » by theman » Mon May 18, 2020 3:42 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Does this put certain teams at a competitive disadvantage? Should the Celtics rent a practice facility in Georgia?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#95 » by Parliament10 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:02 am

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,430

Post#96 » by celtxman » Wed May 20, 2020 1:17 pm

theman wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Does this put certain teams at a competitive disadvantage? Should the Celtics rent a practice facility in Georgia?

When you consider things like players not even picking up a basketball for two months, this certainly needs to be addressed by the NBA. Regardless of politics, think about it. Every sport has guidelines during normal times when teams can do anything. Now in a time where safety is an issue teams can gain an advantage from this?
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#97 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed May 20, 2020 4:02 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#98 » by Parliament10 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:42 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#99 » by Parliament10 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Well.
Let's get it Started.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#100 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed May 20, 2020 7:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Anyone else NOT excited/looking forward to the season resuming/finishing considering the current circumstances? Has COVID broken me?

Maybe once the games are actually aired, I could get back into it. But right now? Meh.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Return to Boston Celtics