Would you rather make to the finals every year and win 50% or half the time and win 100%

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Suprasc1
Senior
And1: 271

Re: Would you rather make to the finals every year and win 50% or half the time and win 100% 

Post#101 » by Suprasc1 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:16 pm

Alize wrote:3-6 easy, who wants to beat up old unathletic teams every year and win it without even a game 7 in the finals.
nfmos wrote:Again, the question asked is completely different than lebron and mj because its assuming the same amount of titles.

For the Lebron supporters, would you rather be 3-6 in the Finals or 6-0?

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app

:o :D
C3H6N6O6
Analyst
And1: 3,898

Re: Would you rather make to the finals every year and win 50% or half the time and win 100% 

Post#102 » by C3H6N6O6 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:As a fan of the team, I'd rather lose before the finals.

It'd be gut-punching to lose in the finals.

That is the definition of being soft.
I think MJ is the GOAT but every person who makes your argument is really soft.
nfmos
Veteran
And1: 3,540

Post#103 » by nfmos » Wed May 20, 2020 9:14 pm

Alize wrote:3-6 easy, who wants to beat up old unathletic teams every year and win it without even a game 7 in the finals.
nfmos wrote:Again, the question asked is completely different than lebron and mj because its assuming the same amount of titles.

As opposed to beating up weak Eastern Conference teams and then getting knocked out when you play actually good teams in the Finals. Yeah 3 titles and 6 participation trophies is better to you than 6 actual titles huh?
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#104 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 pm

nfmos wrote:

As opposed to beating up weak Eastern Conference teams and then getting knocked out when you play actually good teams in the Finals. Yeah 3 titles and 6 participation trophies is better to you than 6 actual titles huh?

LeBron? I'm a Cleveland sports fan, and he helped us we've got our one championship in 50+ years times 3 teams, and we're still pretty darn happy we got that one.

Nobody expected the Cavs to beat the 73-win Warriors, but that's exactly why you want the chance to probably lose, but possibly make history.

I'm sure Toronto fans are feeling pretty good about how things turned out for them too when everyone thought they were just next in line to get slaughtered.

If you prefer predictable scripted fun, why not go watch a movie?
tonyreyes123
Starter
And1: 746

Post#105 » by tonyreyes123 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:37 pm

Young gun 6 wrote:
tonyreyes123 wrote:'Losing half of all your finals means there were a few you choked in, so give me the the perfect record.

Do you realise what choking is...?

It isn't choking if you weren't even the favourite to win or faced the greatest team of all time..

scoring 8 points in a Finals you lose isn't choking?
Bucks tricked me into being a diehard in 2001, LeBron is the 2nd best player ever, and pizza is awesome.
nfmos
Veteran

Post#106 » by nfmos » Wed May 20, 2020 11:44 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
nfmos wrote:

LeBron? I'm a Cleveland sports fan, and he helped us we've got our one championship in 50+ years times 3 teams, and we're still pretty darn happy we got that one.

Nobody expected the Cavs to beat the 73-win Warriors, but that's exactly why you want the chance to probably lose, but possibly make history.

I'm sure Toronto fans are feeling pretty good about how things turned out for them too when everyone thought they were just next in line to get slaughtered.

So you would have preferred to go 3-6 in the finals instead of 6-0? Because thats what my question was.

It was 40 years since we won the championship too, but i would rather we have gotten 4 titles in 4 years instead of 3 out of 5. The number of times that you have bragging rights for a full year is definitely more important than telling people "well at least we got to the finals", as far as im concerned.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,646

Post#107 » by Vampirate » Wed May 20, 2020 11:57 pm

mixerball wrote:
bamheat wrote:
Kobe187 wrote:Win every time = flawless, clutch, winner, greatness.

Going to the finals but only winning Half means:
1. Your playing in a weak conference.
2. You have a good/great team but are considered a choker.
3. Have to live with what ifs for the rest of your days.

How can you be flawless and clutch if you lose before making it to the finals.

Makes no sense

you make no sense.

Here's a 10 year span of what your team could be like if you went with the making finals 50% and winning it 100%

Year 1. 15-67
Year 2. 25-58,
Year 3. 32-50,
Year 4. 48-37 (win finals, just caught fire at the right time)
Year 5. 56-26 (win finals)
Year 6. 50-32 (team is starting to hate each other, lose in the 2nd round as dysfunction happens)
Year 7. 54-28(win finals)
Year 8. 42-40 (win finals, injured riddled season but everyone got healthy at the same time and barely made the playoffs)
Year 9. 68-14 (chokefest in round 1 of the playoffs, players blame each other)
Year 10. 60-22 (Win finals, redeemed but team hates each other already so it completely disbands)
Vampirate
Lead Assistant

Post#108 » by Vampirate » Thu May 21, 2020 12:06 am

OdomFan wrote:I'd rather win in the Finals every time and not ever get swept in it. Yeah. Jordan is number 1. The excuses on here is comedy.

Who says you'd have Jordan's Legacy though. Are you ok with possibly having a couple of The 2006-07 Dallas Mavericks seasons thrown in where you'd win 65+ games but lose in the first round?
tonyreyes123
Starter
And1: 746

Post#109 » by tonyreyes123 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:09 am

Vampirate wrote:
OdomFan wrote:I'd rather win in the Finals every time and not ever get swept in it. Yeah. Jordan is number 1. The excuses on here is comedy.

Who says you'd have Jordan's Legacy though. Are you ok with possibly having a couple of The 2006-07 Dallas Mavericks seasons thrown in where you'd win 65+ games but lose in the first round?

Same thing if you make the Finals every year you're gonna have some 02 Nets/07 Cavs kinda series too
Bucks tricked me into being a diehard in 2001, LeBron is the 2nd best player ever, and pizza is awesome.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by Vampirate » Thu May 21, 2020 12:25 am

tonyreyes123 wrote:
Vampirate wrote:

Same thing if you make the Finals every year you're gonna have some 02 Nets/07 Cavs kinda series too

Lets go on that then.

Year 1. 45-37 (make finals but badly out matched)

Year 2. 50-32 (same as above better marginal improvements made, can't get over the hump)

Year 3. 54-28 (makes finals again, on the cusp but end upshort, lost badly in the final 2)

Year 4. 62-20 (BIG FA signing, the start of a dynasty) - chip

Year 5. 65-17 (back to back champs) - chip

Year 6. 71-11 (GOAT team, swept the playoffs) - chip

Year 7. 64-18 (the dynasty continues, but not as good as last year, still won the whole thing) - chip

Year 8. 59-23 (another chip but while the core is still extremely good it's showing it's age) - chip

Year 9. 50-32 (the FA from year 4 went to a different team, this team lost badly in the finals)

Year 10. 47-35 (old vet team now, was a shaky playoffs but managed to get to the finals, lost badly)
Vampirate
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by Vampirate » Thu May 21, 2020 12:46 am

Funnily enough both these teams could exist in the nba at the same time.

3 teams Team A Team B and Team C.

Team A is in the East while Team B and C are in the West.

Team A will always be in the finals, Team A will always beat Team B but always lose to Team C.

Team B will beat Team C 50% of the time but always lose to Team A.

team C will beat team B 50% of the time but will always beat Team A.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#112 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 21, 2020 7:31 am

nfmos wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
nfmos wrote:

So you would have preferred to go 3-6 in the finals instead of 6-0? Because thats what my question was.

It was 40 years since we won the championship too, but i would rather we have gotten 4 titles in 4 years instead of 3 out of 5. The number of times that you have bragging rights for a full year is definitely more important than telling people "well at least we got to the finals", as far as im concerned.

I can't recall ever exercising "bragging rights" as a fan, so yes I'd rather my team be as competitive as possible and as fun to watch as possible as well which extends to the regular season.

My answer is I'd rather my team be 1-3 and accused of beating up on a weak conference than not make the finals at all.
Drylick
Pro Prospect
And1: 274

Post#113 » by Drylick » Thu May 21, 2020 7:35 am

Michael Jordan.

The GOAT.
Greatest clutch performer.
Most revered and most impactful player on and off the court.

THEE GREATEST.

/thread
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#114 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 21, 2020 7:38 am

Drylick wrote:Michael Jordan.

The GOAT.

THEE GREATEST.

/thread

Sadly an unprovable statement is never gonna end the thread.
Drylick
Pro Prospect
And1: 274

Post#115 » by Drylick » Thu May 21, 2020 7:43 am

JonFromVA wrote:

The GOAT.

THEE GREATEST.

/thread

Jordan has the most total in terms of accolades and accomplishments in the NBA. Not to mention his stats/
Jordan in the clutch is 60++ points per 48 in 52% shooting. That is GODLY.
Jordan exposed the game worldwide. Players today owe the boom of the popularity of today's league to Michael.

Unfortunately, some cannot discern what facts are.
nfmos
Veteran

Post#116 » by nfmos » Thu May 21, 2020 7:46 am

JonFromVA wrote:
nfmos wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I can't recall ever exercising "bragging rights" as a fan, so yes I'd rather my team be as competitive as possible and as fun to watch as possible as well which extends to the regular season.

My answer is I'd rather my team be 1-3 and accused of beating up on a weak conference than not make the finals at all.

You should run for office with that answer :lol:

I asked 3-6 or 6-0. So you value finals appearances over actual titles?
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,639

Post#117 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu May 21, 2020 11:04 am

Poohdini1 wrote:So would you rather have more titles or less titles?

I'll take more titles
It actually equals out to the same amount of titles. Let's say the hypothetical is applied to a 10 year career. That is 10 finals appearances and 5 championshios versus versus five finals and 5 championships.

It's just a question of peak versus longevuty.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#118 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu May 21, 2020 11:10 am

I love the prevailing idea that always making the finals means your conference is weak but always winning the finals doesn't mean your opponent's conference was weak.

This actually closer to Michael vs Magic than Michael vs Lebron.

prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#119 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu May 21, 2020 11:21 am

Drylick wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The GOAT.

THEE GREATEST.

/thread

Jordan has the most total in terms of accolades and accomplishments in the NBA. Not to mention his stats/
Jordan in the clutch is 60++ points per 48 in 52% shooting. That is GODLY.
Jordan exposed the game worldwide. Players today owe the boom of the popularity of today's league to Michael.

Unfortunately, some cannot discern what facts are.
That isn't true. Wilt and Kareem exist.

Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Post#120 » by Alize » Thu May 21, 2020 12:28 pm

Didnt they beat the 73-9 Warriors, a team that is better than the 96 Bulls? Sure.

nfmos wrote:

Return to The General Board