Image ImageImage Image

OT- The Last Dance documentary

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,888

Re: OT- The Last Dance documentary 

Post#1401 » by weneeda2guard » Thu May 21, 2020 1:31 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
troza wrote:
weneeda2guard wrote:The deal i did like for pippen

The Seattle deal for Kemp and pierce. But it was another piece to that deal. The bulls were going to get the right to swap picks with Seattle. The bulls had the 21st pick and Seattle had 11th. Krause was going to take jalen rose with the pick. So it was basically Kemp pierce and rose. Pierce was a former NBA 6th man of the year with the bucks and all star with the sonics in 91 , kemp we end up seeing in the finals a couple years later and rose we know had a really great career. Imagine Jordan coming back to that squad in 95 Jordan rose pierce kemp longley kukoc kerr and let's say krause still does that rodman deal and Ron harper.

Not only do I think that team wins the next 4 rings with jordan but they would have still had pieces in place once jordan decides to retire.

There is no way we would get Rodman if we had a starting PF that played like Kemp (if he played at the same level he did for Seatle in 95 and 96).

That is true but if you have prime Kemp and Jalen whom are both whipped into shape by MJ do you need Rodman?

I don't think you need rodman

But we still had to deal with shaq and rodman was one guy who could single cover shaq. Jordan and Phil had a relationship with rodman prior to him joining the team. Rodman was on the last nerve of the spurs so he was getting moved somewhere. So if I'm asking would krause be convinced rodman could be a good piece i think after some persuasion yes i think so..

But even without rodman you talking a core of

Harper
Jordan/rose
Pierce/kukoc
Kemp
Longley

Kerr off the bench. That is champiomship team.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Re: Game Six: The Movie - 8PM Central Time ESPN 

Post#1402 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:00 pm

Wow that was neat. HD MJ looked even better than standard def MJ.

They lacked on camera angles and I would have watched a 2 hr movie just sitting in the huddle for the time outs. I cant believe they have all that amazing footage of sideline huddles and they just choose to show us those sparse chunks of it.

Listening to Phil calmly give orders and never looked frazzled or like he's unsure.

NOW I get why he was a great coach. Great leaders are calm in the storm. Phil never seems to change his demeanor. Now I see where Kerr gets it and why he has been so successful in GSW.

and how akward was that trophy ceremony?

This kinda made me realize that yes the other players really, really didn't like MJ-
notice how NO ONE hugs him, like embraces him and discusses how hard the season was?

He basically shares a hug with Kerr, like a 5 second akward hug with Pippen, hugs Rodman and tells him something about Some having to watch over him now. After that not one role player comes NEAR him.

I think this might be the difference between MJ and LeBron were all missing here-
LeBrons teammates seem to like him. Jordans HATE him.

Think about it - after that - 3-1 comeback they bought him an Ultimate Warrior shirt and THEY declared him the GOAT.

Not one Bull has any praise for the teammate MJ.

Costas, Collins, Isiah and the John Tesh theme were great. Isiah having to call MJ's 6th title is so :lol:
troza
Junior
And1: 128

Post#1403 » by troza » Thu May 21, 2020 2:33 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:Wow that was neat. HD MJ looked even better than standard def MJ.

They lacked on camera angles and I would have watched a 2 hr movie just sitting in the huddle for the time outs. I cant believe they have all that amazing footage of sideline huddles and they just choose to show us those sparse chunks of it.

Listening to Phil calmly give orders and never looked frazzled or like he's unsure.

NOW I get why he was a great coach. Great leaders are calm in the storm. Phil never seems to change his demeanor. Now I see where Kerr gets it and why he has been so successful in GSW.

This kinda made me realize that yes the other players really, really didn't like MJ-
notice how NO ONE hugs him, like embraces him and discusses how hard the season was?

He basically shares a hug with Kerr, like a 5 second akward hug with Pippen, hugs Rodman and tells him something about Some having to watch over him now. After that not one role player comes NEAR him.

I think this might be the difference between MJ and LeBron were all missing here-

Think about it - after that - 3-1 comeback they bought him an Ultimate Warrior shirt and THEY declared him the GOAT.

Costas, Collins, Isiah and the John Tesh theme were great. Isiah having to call MJ's 6th title is so :lol:

I'm pretty sure that Randy Brown is all over MJ at that time but I'm not sure.

The cerimony... I would say that the most interesting part of that are the interviews: Jerry Reisendorf and Jordan are the only ones that say something positive or look interesting in coming back.

Krause, Phil and Pippen are on the opposite side... avoiding answers or saying that is a subject for another time. At least I got that impression when I saw the game last week.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#1404 » by Michael Jackson » Thu May 21, 2020 11:41 pm

troza wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
troza wrote:
There is no way we would get Rodman if we had a starting PF that played like Kemp (if he played at the same level he did for Seatle in 95 and 96).

That is true but if you have prime Kemp and Jalen whom are both whipped into shape by MJ do you need Rodman?

I don't know if they would be shaped. Maybe they couldn't hang with Michael or so. But Rodman... I think that we would always need him. A guy that could defend and rebound like that while being a good guy for the triangle? The thing is that it would be not worth the risk like it was at that time.

Mainly when that team would be weaker defensively that we were. In offense I can see Jordan/Rose/Kukoc being able to organize the triangle (and having Jordan there made sense with Kemp working on the post more while with our team you would want Jordan on the post more than anyone else) but on defense... we would loose too much. Pippen and Rodman out... oh my.

And the original poster told the main thing we must think about: would Jordan return without Pippen here? Probably but even so...

With Kemp's skill set I think MJ would have been perfect to whip into shape, who knows he might have been broken and devolved into an alcoholic sooner... MJ to me definitely would have made Jalen better, but young Jalen and older Jalen was pretty cocky, still it is Jordan and he did command respect. The Defense would have suffered for sure, but it can be argued that Jalen on offense would have been a better point forward than Pippen. You would have to assume that Jalen would have been forced into being a better defensive player too. Maybe they find a way to get Jayson Williams still to which was always a thing. I do see a longer run with that team where it is easier to move the pieces, but not ever as dominate.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,288

Post#1405 » by dumbell78 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:51 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:Wow that was neat. HD MJ looked even better than standard def MJ.

Nah, watch it again. Randy, Toni, Scott Burrell, Kerr, etc. all embrace him. Randy even thanks him in the middle of the hug, you can sort of hear it.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#1406 » by erlim » Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
troza wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

I don't know if they would be shaped. Maybe they couldn't hang with Michael or so. But Rodman... I think that we would always need him. A guy that could defend and rebound like that while being a good guy for the triangle? The thing is that it would be not worth the risk like it was at that time.

Mainly when that team would be weaker defensively that we were. In offense I can see Jordan/Rose/Kukoc being able to organize the triangle (and having Jordan there made sense with Kemp working on the post more while with our team you would want Jordan on the post more than anyone else) but on defense... we would loose too much. Pippen and Rodman out... oh my.

And the original poster told the main thing we must think about: would Jordan return without Pippen here? Probably but even so...

With Kemp's skill set I think MJ would have been perfect to whip into shape, who knows he might have been broken and devolved into an alcoholic sooner... MJ to me definitely would have made Jalen better, but young Jalen and older Jalen was pretty cocky, still it is Jordan and he did command respect. The Defense would have suffered for sure, but it can be argued that Jalen on offense would have been a better point forward than Pippen. You would have to assume that Jalen would have been forced into being a better defensive player too. Maybe they find a way to get Jayson Williams still to which was always a thing. I do see a longer run with that team where it is easier to move the pieces, but not ever as dominate.

We got a real close look at Jalen Rose for years and it was so awful.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,161

Post#1407 » by _txchilibowl_ » Fri May 22, 2020 2:03 am

I will never love another sports team like I did the 90's Bulls....
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,893

Post#1408 » by RSP83 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:14 am

erlim wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
troza wrote:

We got a real close look at Jalen Rose for years and it was so awful.

I think Jalen with a better structure is a different player. His stint with the Pacers showed that. That Pacers team was a really good team, very disciplined, and had a lot of maturity. And Jalen thrived. Larry Bird, Rick Carlisle, Reggie Miller, the Davises, Mark Jackson, Derrick McKey, Rik Smits. That Bulls team offer a similar environment with Phil and MJ alone. Although we don't know without Pippen in the locker room how different the chemistry will be. He's sort of the guy that the role players lean on when MJ got on them.

With Kemp and Jalen, I do wonder what our defense would look like. They're not known as a plus defenders. And with Kemp who knows if we're still going to pick up Rodman. I like Jalen's fit with that team, he's a versatile big guard, who fits the triangle. Kemp though don't fit the typical enforcer PF that were key role in that dynasty team (Grant and Rodman). The Jayson Williams scenario maybe the better option.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,187

Post#1409 » by Dan Z » Fri May 22, 2020 6:36 am

"All you needed was one little match to start that whole fire" - Michael Jordan

I just finished "The Last Dance" and it made me miss the days when the Bulls were a competitive basketball team. Hopefully AK and the new front office are able to turn things around.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,494

Post#1410 » by dice » Fri May 22, 2020 6:59 am

the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
RSP83
Head Coach

Post#1411 » by RSP83 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:05 am

Dan Z wrote:"All you needed was one little match to start that whole fire" - Michael Jordan

I just finished "The Last Dance" and it made me miss the days when the Bulls were a competitive basketball team. Hopefully AK and the new front office are able to turn things around.

I guess MJ see himself as that little match, that starts the fire and kept it lit. But just saying that situation can also burn themselves if the right people did not present around MJ. Kobe was similar in that he's really hard on his teammates. The common denominator in both situation was Phil. I really do think Phil is a special talent when it comes building team chemistry involving talent with different character complex.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#1412 » by Dan Z » Fri May 22, 2020 8:32 am

dice wrote:

It's funny that they keep saying that MJ called Pippen selfish (Horace says it a few times). Did they not watch the documentary? MJ called Pippen selfish because he elected not to have surgery in the offseason (instead he had surgery during the season and did so because he was upset about his contract). Jordan never calls him selfish during the Utah game when Pippen had a back injury. Doesn't he even praise him for going out there and playing?
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#1413 » by Dan Z » Fri May 22, 2020 8:38 am

RSP83 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:"All you needed was one little match to start that whole fire" - Michael Jordan

I guess MJ see himself as that little match, that starts the fire and kept it lit. But just saying that situation can also burn themselves if the right people did not present around MJ. Kobe was similar in that he's really hard on his teammates. The common denominator in both situation was Phil. I really do think Phil is a special talent when it comes building team chemistry involving talent with different character complex.

You should watch the video that Dice posted above. They talk a bit about Jordan and how he was with teammates.

As for the match comment Jordan was talking about how he wanted to build the Bulls up so the franchise would be remembered in a similar way to the Lakers or Celtics. That's why I wrote about how I miss having a competitive team in Chicago.

I agree with you about Phil. He knew how to handle all those personalities. I bet his assistant coaches also helped.
RSP83
Head Coach

Post#1414 » by RSP83 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:50 am

Dan Z wrote:
RSP83 wrote:

You should watch the video that Dice posted above. They talk a bit about Jordan and how he was with teammates.

As for the match comment Jordan was talking about how he wanted to build the Bulls up so the franchise would be remembered in a similar way to the Lakers or Celtics. That's why I wrote about how I miss having a competitive team in Chicago.

I agree with you about Phil. He knew how to handle all those personalities. I bet his assistant coaches also helped.

Yeah, I watched it. Interesting comments from Hodge, Bill, Horace, and Harp. It was really clear that Bill and Hodge didn't take MJ's bullying too seriously, the way I see it MJ was more like a young star that get on their nerve here and there. They're also from 1 generation before MJ. They have their own opinion on who's the GOAT, Russell and Kareem is about right, it's more admiration and appreciation. Everybody, including Horace, I get the sense that, MJ was like this elephant in the room as far as a "character" on the team. They just had to live with it because they know he's the best player in the game and basically give them their best chance to win. Harp seems like he didn't care, and just kinda embrace MJ. Bottom line hats off to all of them, shows how professional they were during their time. Like Horace said with strong character like MJ, it could've gone differently for that team. But they remained focus with their goals and accomplished it. Again, I think kudos to veteran guys like Bill and Hodge. This actually shows how important veterans and elder statesman in maintaining balance and locker room leadership.

On Phil, having Tex next to him certainly helped him throughout his career.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#1415 » by Dan Z » Fri May 22, 2020 5:28 pm

RSP83 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
RSP83 wrote:

Yeah, I watched it. Interesting comments from Hodge, Bill, Horace, and Harp. It was really clear that Bill and Hodge didn't take MJ's bullying too seriously, the way I see it MJ was more like a young star that get on their nerve here and there. They're also from 1 generation before MJ. They have their own opinion on who's the GOAT, Russell and Kareem is about right, it's more admiration and appreciation. Everybody, including Horace, I get the sense that, MJ was like this elephant in the room as far as a "character" on the team. They just had to live with it because they know he's the best player in the game and basically give them their best chance to win. Harp seems like he didn't care, and just kinda embrace MJ. Bottom line hats off to all of them, shows how professional they were during their time. Like Horace said with strong character like MJ, it could've gone differently for that team. But they remained focus with their goals and accomplished it. Again, I think kudos to veteran guys like Bill and Hodge. This actually shows how important veterans and elder statesman in maintaining balance and locker room leadership.

It also makes me think that Jordan's bullying might be a bit overstated. If you watch the documentary he jokes around with Scott Burrell and Scott seems okay with it. At times Randy Brown hugs Jordan. Some of those players were with him for a long time, such as Pippen, so on certain level they must've got along with him. Wasn't Harper seen playing cards with Jordan? It makes me think that they got along. Who else?

Then there are guys like Kerr who clashed with Jordan early on, but they got through it and Jordan respected Kerr after that (and even praised him for his shot in 97). Kerr understood his role on that team and stepped up.
wickywack
Junior
And1: 293

Post#1416 » by wickywack » Fri May 22, 2020 6:31 pm

weneeda2guard wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
troza wrote:

I don't think you need rodman

But we still had to deal with shaq and rodman was one guy who could single cover shaq. Jordan and Phil had a relationship with rodman prior to him joining the team. Rodman was on the last nerve of the spurs so he was getting moved somewhere. So if I'm asking would krause be convinced rodman could be a good piece i think after some persuasion yes i think so..

But even without rodman you talking a core of

Harper
Jordan/rose
Pierce/kukoc
Kemp
Longley

Kerr off the bench. That is champiomship team.

I think that's a championship team in 96 though maybe not a 72 win one. Maybe not a championship team in 98. Pierce wasn't really a contributor by then. Kemp's game fell off significantly. Like Pippen, he let his low pay get in his head. Unlike Pippen, he also seemed to let it affect his play on the court.

IMO, Rose was a slightly lesser Toni Kukoc. High skill point forwards with so so defense. Statistically, they're surprisingly similar. Kukoc grades just a little better - e.g., a much better offensive rebounder.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#1417 » by Michael Jackson » Fri May 22, 2020 10:08 pm

Dan Z wrote:
RSP83 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

It also makes me think that Jordan's bullying might be a bit overstated. If you watch the documentary he jokes around with Scott Burrell and Scott seems okay with it. At times Randy Brown hugs Jordan. Some of those players were with him for a long time, such as Pippen, so on certain level they must've got along with him. Wasn't Harper seen playing cards with Jordan? It makes me think that they got along. Who else?

Then there are guys like Kerr who clashed with Jordan early on, but they got through it and Jordan respected Kerr after that (and even praised him for his shot in 97). Kerr understood his role on that team and stepped up.

I don’t know that it is overstated, but I don’t think it was horrible as people make it out to be. Magic rode his guys hard in practice too. In championship teams who wants a weak link? Jordan was cocky and tough but not unlikable, tough for sure. Burrell seemed to get that just fine. Ie kicking back at MJ about getting a hug from his kids. Yeah MJ was tough but he also took him aside after he had a good game and said Scott that’s why I ride you. Granted there was some humiliation but it was more big brother ball busting than it was a tyrant imho.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,755

Post#1418 » by Jcool0 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:30 pm

Most random celebrity talking about the last dance

Read on Twitter
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,885

Post#1419 » by MAQ » Sun May 24, 2020 12:02 am

Dan Z wrote:
dice wrote:

It's funny that they keep saying that MJ called Pippen selfish (Horace says it a few times). Did they not watch the documentary? MJ called Pippen selfish because he elected not to have surgery in the offseason (instead he had surgery during the season and did so because he was upset about his contract). Jordan never calls him selfish during the Utah game when Pippen had a back injury. Doesn't he even praise him for going out there and playing?

The fact that people are implying Pippen wasnt selfish for his decision to delay surgery is mind boggling. Look at the reason he provided. He wasnt going to **** up his summer. What exactly would he have to say to get these folks to agree that it was a selfish decision?
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,005

Post#1420 » by MrSparkle » Sun May 24, 2020 12:12 am

It really was all so absurd. I missed most of that behind-the-scenes stuff as a young teenager, but of course getting close cameras next to Krause kinda stumbling around wondering whether he should bother approaching Phil, MJ, Pippen. It was certainly absurd and awkward, yet at the same time, kind of impressive how... professional, cool and collected everyone was despite the awkwardness? These days guys get emotional about sentence fragment tweets. Here you have a group of guys with years of pent up personal issues.

I certainly didn't get the vibe that his teammates weren't happy for MJ. That Pippen hug seemed genuine and emotional; I think MJ was really grateful that Scottie toughed it out. Pretty sure Randy, Kerr and Kukoc all gave MJ hugs. Pretty sure MJ kept ragging on Burrell. But I hear you; Lebron is all about his teammates being his best friends. That documentary about his HS team told it all. I think that's why there were mutual issues with Love and Bosh who didn't 100% gel with him. MJ is like the Guru-Ji/Sensei-Master who makes sure you know your place. The dude hung out with his security guard crew before and after games, not his teammates.

MJ also seemed big on superstition. More into mysticism. Interestingly though, he did very little "GMing" - he kind of embraced whatever Jud Buechler or Burrell that Krause threw his way, but as a teacher/leader not as a friend. Old-school tough love. Sure makes for a better story. 8-)

Return to Chicago Bulls