NBA - The Re-Open: - Connaughton has Covid-19, pg. 94

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

NBA - The Re-Open: - Connaughton has Covid-19, pg. 94 

Post#1 » by paulpressey25 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:45 pm

Creating a new thread for the NBA re-open discussion. We'll keep the ATL thread for stuff like Jordan discussion, Jerry Sloan death, etc.

It seems like the owners and Silver are moving ahead. And with the top players on board, Bucks will have a shot at a title finally. 8-)

This is a good article on what the NBA is looking at for testing. Seems they'll be doing a lot of anti-body testing, which should help national research. Good job on the NBA for figuring out how to loop their need for testing in with being able to contribute to the national database.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5/20/21264742/nba-coronavirus-testing-covid-19

NBPA executive director Michele Roberts told The Ringer that players were fully on board with providing samples. “Our players have embraced the opportunity to contribute to this important public health study that will help researchers better understand the prevalence of COVID-19, potentially improve care for patients, and promote long-term efforts to develop a vaccine and treatment for the virus,” Roberts said.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,226

Re: NBA - The Re-Open: Discussion Thread 

Post#2 » by MickeyDavis » Fri May 22, 2020 3:00 pm

Ita been 74 days since the Bucks played but it seems like

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,569

Post#3 » by JayMKE » Fri May 22, 2020 3:07 pm

I caught a bit of game from earlier this year and it legitimately made me sad, can't wait to see Bucks basketball again. Lets get that ring with the whole world watching!
FREE GIANNIS
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,009

Post#4 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri May 22, 2020 3:13 pm

I am so pumped for this. If there is an asterisk, it will be to note we were the champions of the craziest NBA playoffs ever. Neutral site, no-travel, condensed and intense pure basketball. I've seen accountant's league basketball games get intense, anyone saying Lebron Vs Giannis in a best of 7 to decide a ring wouldn't bring out intense competition is a liar.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by MickeyDavis » Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm

Win a title. Sign Giannis.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#6 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri May 22, 2020 3:28 pm

I assume Giannis has rested his case and will warm up against the Magic? Worst case scenario is he's rusty and it takes 6 games instead of 4.

Hopefully there aren't any changes to seeding. Might come down to Philly/Pacers for the 5th. Any word on how they will do the final five games?
Our path right now looks pretty damn good: Magic/Heat/Toronto?
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#7 » by Bucksfan28 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:37 pm

There has always been too much money at stake for me to believe the NBA wouldn't finish this season. I'm glad it seems like we won't have to wonder what could've been.

I can't wait to see what Mids' conditioning is like coming outta lockdown.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#8 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri May 22, 2020 3:45 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:There has always been too much money at stake for me to believe the NBA wouldn't finish this season. I'm glad it seems like we won't have to wonder what could've been.

I can't wait to see what Mids' conditioning is like coming outta lockdown.

He's got 9 weeks or so before we have playoff games. He should be in decent shape by the playoffs considering he wasn't in the clubs for the past 2 months.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#9 » by MickeyDavis » Fri May 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Read on Twitter
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,122

Post#10 » by DingleJerry » Fri May 22, 2020 6:19 pm

The ratings on this should be astronomical if it happens. MAybe the whole country will finally realize how ridiculous Giannis is to watch and they've been missing out.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#11 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri May 22, 2020 7:39 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wonder if you see fringe players cut/left home to have more room for coaches/scouts. Have Horst and Mason flip a coin for the last spot in the bubble
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#12 » by Nowak008 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:54 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I am so pumped for this. If there is an asterisk, it will be to note we were the champions of the craziest NBA playoffs ever. Neutral site, no-travel, condensed and intense pure basketball. I've seen accountant's league basketball games get intense, anyone saying Lebron Vs Giannis in a best of 7 to decide a ring wouldn't bring out intense competition is a liar.

The only way an asterisk will be apply is if a major player contracts covid and misses the playoffs. If everyone plays, no one one will say there should be an asterisk.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#13 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 pm

Nowak008 wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I am so pumped for this. If there is an asterisk, it will be to note we were the champions of the craziest NBA playoffs ever. Neutral site, no-travel, condensed and intense pure basketball. I've seen accountant's league basketball games get intense, anyone saying Lebron Vs Giannis in a best of 7 to decide a ring wouldn't bring out intense competition is a liar.

The only way an asterisk will be apply is if a major player contracts covid and misses the playoffs.

Definite possibility. What about if Bud or another head coach gets it? Also a distinct disadvantage.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,043

Post#14 » by MVP2110 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Nowak008 wrote:

The only way an asterisk will be apply is if a major player contracts covid and misses the playoffs. If everyone plays, no one one will say there should be an asterisk.

I would limit that even further to specifically Kawhi, LeBron, AD, Giannis, & MAYBE PG & Khris
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,122

Post#15 » by DingleJerry » Fri May 22, 2020 11:13 pm

Nowak008 wrote:

Asterisk on your no asterisk: Raptors fans
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,256

Post#16 » by FlagsFlyForever » Sat May 23, 2020 1:59 am

Nowak008 wrote:

Even then there won't be an asterisk. The 2015 Warriors don't have an asterisk from beating the Cavs in 6 with Love and Kyrie injured.
Read on Twitter
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,934

Post#17 » by soxperry » Sat May 23, 2020 3:50 am

ElPeregrino wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:

Even then there won't be an asterisk. The 2015 Warriors don't have an asterisk from beating the Cavs in 6 with Love and Kyrie injured.

I would say that list of players is short: Giannis, Lebron, AD, Kawhi, PG (kinda). That's pretty much it.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,989

Post#18 » by midranger » Sat May 23, 2020 3:54 pm

The thing about this is if one player tests positive, he would have exposed dozens of other participants. You’re telling me that after that guy plays 40 minutes with like 18 other guys touching the same ball and swapping sweat, the nba is going to let those two teams play two more teams and expose dozens more guys?

I’d place the odds of this completely blowing up in the nba’s face and ending professional sports for the year at like 33%.

Sad to say but they would have been better off doing this a month ago before people started getting “back to normal”. The odds of one of the players, wives, kids, coaches, refs, food servers, hostesses, cleaning staff, etc... bringing this virus into the “bubble” has to be around 100%.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#19 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat May 23, 2020 4:32 pm

midranger wrote:The thing about this is if one player tests positive, he would have exposed dozens of other participants. You’re telling me that after that guy plays 40 minutes with like 18 other guys touching the same ball and swapping sweat, the nba is going to let those two teams play two more teams and expose dozens more guys?

I’d place the odds of this completely blowing up in the nba’s face and ending professional sports for the year at like 33%.

Sad to say but they would have been better off doing this a month ago before people started getting “back to normal”. The odds of one of the players, wives, kids, coaches, refs, food servers, hostesses, cleaning staff, etc... bringing this virus into the “bubble” has to be around 100%.

It's unlikely the virus spreads through sweat. But your point stands since unless you are guarded by Harden someone is breathing in your face. Playing out the season makes less sense. More exposure to multiple teams.

ETA: optics on tests would've been bad a month ago and we also didn't know as much how it spreads. We will be in a better position by July.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#20 » by jakecronus8 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:08 pm

I’ve done a 180 (or a 360 according to Jason Kidd). Shut it down.
Do it for Chuck

Return to Milwaukee Bucks