Giannis Antetokounmpo: Giannis And The Greek Freak Are Two Different People

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Giannis Antetokounmpo: Giannis And The Greek Freak Are Two Different People 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 21, 2020 8:05 pm

Giannis Antetokounmpo has embraced the on-court moniker of Greek Freak, but he acknowledges that there's a difference between his basketball perception and his laid-back personal lifestyle.

Antetokounmpo also recently became a father for the first time.

"The most important thing is you cannot lose yourself in it. There's a lot of pressure, there's a lot of things that are going to try to pull you from 'come this way, do this.' For example, this event with Nike, or tomorrow you've got to do this event with T-Mobile," Antetokounmpo said. "Like, there's so many things that you're going to have in front of you that you've got to do, but you've just got to be able to balance your personal life with the Greek Freak life. Giannis and the Greek Freak are two different people. I hope that doesn't sound arrogant -- I'm not trying to sound arrogant -- but that's how I'm trying to think. I'm trying to think when I'm with my family, I'm with my family. Sometimes when you're the MVP, you're the leader of the team, you've got to do a photo shoot and all that, you lose yourself, and whenever I'm with my family, I'm myself."

Via Eric Woodyard/ESPN

MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo: Giannis And The Greek Freak Are Two Different People 

Post#2 » by MitchB3 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:55 pm

That doesn't come off as being arrogant, he has every right to separate the two and people just need to know he's not the Greek Freak all the time. It's more so fans that need to understand that when they see him with family not to bombard him with wanting pictures, trying to get a high five, or whatever.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,893

Post#3 » by RSP83 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:36 pm

Giannis seems like a really humble person. Everytime he speaks, he sounds like he doesn't get too way in over his head on his status.
nizaam
Sixth Man
And1: 415

Post#4 » by nizaam » Fri May 22, 2020 12:07 am

At his age lebron had already self peoclaimed himself king james. This guy iz a way better face of the league
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,618

Post#5 » by Gianstoppable » Fri May 22, 2020 4:41 am

MitchB3 wrote:That doesn't come off as being arrogant, he has every right to separate the two and people just need to know he's not the Greek Freak all the time. It's more so fans that need to understand that when they see him with family not to bombard him with wanting pictures, trying to get a high five, or whatever.

Another reason for Giannis to stay in Milwaukee. He's on record saying he wouldnt want to play in LA. I dont think he likes the whole paparazzi thing. Milwaukee is a good low key spot for him and he lives in a low key area as well.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#6 » by Elnegron » Fri May 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Miami if he bolt is the perfect spot. Best run organization that is a giannis away from running the league for the next 5 years. Toronto is another option but it doesn't have the pieces that miami has with low control value in bam, herro, nunn, Robison and Kz okpala. The are old 24 and under yikes
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,948

Post#7 » by Cassius » Fri May 22, 2020 7:16 pm

Elnegron wrote:Miami if he bolt is the perfect spot. Best run organization that is a giannis away from running the league for the next 5 years. Toronto is another option but it doesn't have the pieces that miami has with low control value in bam, herro, nunn, Robison and Kz okpala. The are old 24 and under yikes

A lot depends on what happens with this year's FA class, but I'd take the Raptors young core over the Heats' every day of the week.

Siakam, OG, Fred, Norman Powell, Terence Davis and Matt Thomas is a little older (I think 26 oldest) but is a 50-win team by themselves. Bam et al is a promising group, but they're a fringe playoff team without serious veteran support around them. Throw in the African and Greek communities in the city, and the fact that Masai helped his family migrate from Nigeria and it should be a pretty easy decision if he decides to leave Milwaukee.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.

Return to Wiretap Discussion