ImageImageImageImage

Jonathan Isaac ran for the first time since Jan. 1 this week

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Jonathan Isaac ran for the first time since Jan. 1 this week 

Post#1 » by Knightro » Fri May 22, 2020 5:17 pm

First time running his injury on January 1st.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

If the NBA is going to resume in mid-July like some people expect, then Isaac has another 7.5 weeks or so to ramp up and get ready to play basketball.

Would be shocked if the Magic pushed for him to return unless he's 1000000000% unequivocally ready to go, but I'd selfishly love to see him out there for the last few games.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,088

Re: Jonathan Isaac ran for the first time since Jan. 1 this week 

Post#2 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri May 22, 2020 5:44 pm

There’s no way he didn’t tear something in his knee. The whole timeline doesn’t add up. Dude was in a HUGE brace and crutches for months, then kept the brace for a few more months and now just running.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,199

Post#3 » by J-Mezzy » Fri May 22, 2020 7:28 pm

Hmm running in an anti G suit. Has about 8 weeks beforenthe proposed timeline fot the season. Don't see him being ready for fill contact and playoff basketball by then
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Post#4 » by Knightro » Fri May 22, 2020 8:01 pm

More from Isaac himself...

Read on Twitter

In addition to getting up shots on an almost daily basis, Isaac has stepped up his work on his legs of late. On Wednesday and Thursday, he ran on a machine that keeps some of the pressure off the knees and ankles and did weighted squats – and he reported no lingering pain or swelling afterward.

"Just with the arena opened again, I’ve been coming in and getting rehab pretty much every day," Isaac said. "I ran in the Alter-G for the first time two or three days ago, so I’m feeling good and getting there. I’m just taking it one day at a time.

"Leg feels good," Isaac added later. "Yesterday or the day before, I squatted the most (weight) that I’ve done so far. So, it’s just taking it one day at a time. The Alter-G (running machine) was a big step forward and I’m glad that I got through it without any swelling."

https://www.nba.com/magic/jonathan-isaac-teams-project-life-pepsis-stronger-together-campaign-and-papa-johns-provide-food-20200522
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,120

Post#5 » by pepe1991 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:23 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:There’s no way he didn’t tear something in his knee. The whole timeline doesn’t add up. Dude was in a HUGE brace and crutches for months, then kept the brace for a few more months and now just running.

Just like during last year's playoffs our front office refused to rule out Bamba and Fultz for rest of a season...
But with media that don't care about Magic, it's not hard to act a fool and get away with it.

Didn't they say they expect him back in like 8 weeks? Guy didn't run for 21 weeks straight...
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#6 » by Def Swami » Sat May 23, 2020 2:10 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:There’s no way he didn’t tear something in his knee. The whole timeline doesn’t add up. Dude was in a HUGE brace and crutches for months, then kept the brace for a few more months and now just running.

Just like during last year's playoffs our front office refused to rule out Bamba and Fultz for rest of a season...
But with media that don't care about Magic, it's not hard to act a fool and get away with it.

Didn't they say they expect him back in like 8 weeks? Guy didn't run for 21 weeks straight...

They said his re-evaluation period would be 8 weeks. But Josh Robbins was consistently saying that Isaac was going to be out the season and playoffs.

I remember the night Isaac had that injury. I legit thought he tore his ACL and was done for the season. I actually think he's lucky it wasn't that bad. Even if Isaac is ready, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Magic hold him out until next season. The injury risk for a lot of these players coming back into basketball form, let alone playoff form, is going to be high. This is the same reason the Nets would never bring Kevin Durant back in this context.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#7 » by Bensational » Sun May 24, 2020 3:51 am

Def Swami wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

They said his re-evaluation period would be 8 weeks. But Josh Robbins was consistently saying that Isaac was going to be out the season and playoffs.

I remember the night Isaac had that injury. I legit thought he tore his ACL and was done for the season. I actually think he's lucky it wasn't that bad. Even if Isaac is ready, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Magic hold him out until next season. The injury risk for a lot of these players coming back into basketball form, let alone playoff form, is going to be high. This is the same reason the Nets would never bring Kevin Durant back in this context.

Really doesn't seem like enough time for Isaac to get back for the playoffs unless he particularly wants to and fights for it. I'd like to see him get some more minutes in that environment, but not at the expense of long term health.

That said, one more injury of a similar nature and I'm looking to move Isaac. Only because it's impossible to build around someone who's injury plagued.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#8 » by drsd » Sun May 24, 2020 7:40 am

At the time of the injury, it was declared as an extreme sprain. Most interpret that as an abbonlal stretching of ligaments. Those are not "tears" and are more like over stretching a rubberband. PLUS: there was probably internal bone bruising.

i) the bruising and swelling needed to heal = 6 weeks
ii) there was a lot of physio = 6 weeks
iii) no basic tone and fitness is lost = unknown rehab time.

Isaac's knee as reported in injured in a way that a future injury is most-probable without appropriate interventions *. That is what the Magic trainers are tackling.

* overstretch a rubber band and then see how much easier it is to break later. That is the issue.

drsd
RealGM

Post#9 » by drsd » Sun May 24, 2020 7:42 am

Bensational wrote:Really doesn't seem like enough time for Isaac to get back for the playoffs unless he particularly wants to and fights for it. I'd like to see him get some more minutes in that environment, but not at the expense of long term health.

That said, one more injury of a similar nature and I'm looking to move Isaac. Only because it's impossible to build around someone who's injury plagued.

I am convincid now with the new Tweets that Isaac is not in "game-shape". As such, there was never a plan for him to play this year.

As next season looks to start around Christmas, I would expect Isaac to start on opening night AND not play in another game this season / playoffs included. Look: if Isaac as a late-July injury, he will not get in the summer reps that all players need for the forthcoming season.

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed Jun 3, 2020 3:39 pm

Bensational wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Really doesn't seem like enough time for Isaac to get back for the playoffs unless he particularly wants to and fights for it. I'd like to see him get some more minutes in that environment, but not at the expense of long term health.

would be such an unfortunate Magic thing to trade AG then Isaac tears his knee and is out again for anther year. Depending on who you ask/talk to Isaac already is getting that Injury Prone tag. His types on injuries are also not helping because they're not very common and there's no real surgery to "fix" them. It's just stay off, rest and strengthen.
drsd
RealGM

Post#11 » by drsd » Thu Jun 4, 2020 12:19 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
would be such an unfortunate Magic thing to sign Giannis Antetokounmpo and then he tears his knee and is out .....

Orlando cannot make decisions on the roster for injury considerations because of such a narrative.

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Jun 4, 2020 1:03 pm

drsd wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
would be such an unfortunate Magic thing to sign Giannis Antetokounmpo and then he tears his knee and is out .....

Orlando cannot make decisions on the roster for injury considerations because of such a narrative.

Apples and oranges my dude. One is pretty close/already injury prone the other is pretty healthy dude. Dudes barely gotten through a full season in 3 years with random weird injuries.

I’m not saying FO would look at injuries as a reason not to trade AG. Was more of a blanket statement saying I could see if happening because it’s Orlando lol
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#13 » by 3ddman23 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:20 am

How much can we bet that a lot of these other teams will bring back players that where injured during the season but are healthy now, but the magic will still hold isaac out even though he is most likely healthy( its been what 6 months now)?? Its almost guaranteed right
GO MAGIC
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#14 » by RookieStar » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:45 am

IF JI is fully healthy and ready to contribute i see no reason for him to play. However, if there is even a little doubt that the injury persist.. then yeah let him sit down. After all the next season will start December
drsd
RealGM

Post#15 » by drsd » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:18 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Apples and oranges my dude. One is pretty close/already injury prone the other is pretty healthy dude. Dudes barely gotten through a full season in 3 years with random weird injuries.

I’m not saying FO would look at injuries as a reason not to trade AG. Was more of a blanket statement saying I could see if happening because it’s Orlando lol

Respectfully, Antetokounmpo has had knee and ankle injuries.

And something like this is always an issue for these Very tall players:
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#16 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Jun 5, 2020 8:40 pm

good to be back...
The last thing I'd want is for Isaac to be rushed back early.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#17 » by The Effect » Fri Jun 5, 2020 11:05 pm

Jesus, how fragile is this guy? So far in 3 years hes almost missed more games than hes played (would of missed more than played if the season wasnt suspended), and now that the season is restarting, he likely wont play then either, a good 7-8 months later?

God this is going to suck when we max him out just to watch him end up like grant hill and earn max money while playing 20 games a year
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,067

Post#18 » by SOUL » Sat Jun 6, 2020 12:47 am

The Effect wrote:Jesus, how fragile is this guy? So far in 3 years hes almost missed more games than hes played (would of missed more than played if the season wasnt suspended), and now that the season is restarting, he likely wont play then either, a good 7-8 months later?

God this is going to suck when we max him out just to watch him end up like grant hill and earn max money while playing 20 games a year

I mean, it looked like he tore something in his knee. Wouldn't call that fragile. Rookie year yeah but last year and up until a freak injury like that it wasn't like he was missing a bunch of games.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#19 » by cedric76 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 7:40 am

WELTMAN: “Nothing’s changed and nothing will ever change with the way that we’re going to approach injuries. Jonathan’s timetable will kind of dictate itself as his rehab unfolds and we’ll see how he responds to his treatment. He’s ramping up his workload. That being said, there’s a difference between healthy and being ready to play basketball and Jonathan hasn’t played since January 1. We’re not going to throw him out there just because his knee is healthy if it indeed would have a chance to be healthy by then. We’re not counting on Jonathan being a part of this postseason and we’re just going to proceed as we were before the hiatus began. We don’t expect him to be back and with that we’re going to prepare the same way before the hiatus began.”
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#20 » by Def Swami » Sat Jun 6, 2020 2:13 pm

So no Isaac lol

Return to Orlando Magic