Where does Rasheed Wallace rank in all time greats for the PF position?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,203

Re: Where does Rasheed Wallace rank in all time greats for the PF position? 

Post#61 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:16 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote: Sheed was rocking a legit beer belly by the end of his career. Sheed wasn't stronger because sheed didn't care.
He might've extended his carer by taking better care of his body but he wasn't super strong because he didn't have a super strong frame. My comparison was to Webber, who was just a bigger dude than Sheed in his upper body. Sheed with bigger muscles doesn't become Shaq--he just becomes himself with a little more strength, which means he's still not going to bully good defenders in the paint or shove people aside for boards. For the same reason that anyone who's his size/frame isn't.

dhsilv2 wrote: Sheed likely is never a great ball handler, but that didn't really stop Dirk.

Dirk is the greatest midrange shooter of his generation (if not ever) who had a crazy knack for shooting off-balanced and in weird angles. No logic in thinking that Sheed could've gotten there with a little more practice. Most NBA players have been working insanely hard everyday from the time they're like 9 years old on, and only one of them became Dirk. And Sheed clearly practiced shooting plenty, and had a great smooth stroke that got him most of his NBA points. Unless you honestly think that every stretch 4 with solid form could become Dirk if they put in more gym time, I think it's much safer to conclude that Sheed was a good not great NBA shooter who made good use of his jumper but didn't have the extremely rare ability to ride a jumper (without a driving game) to superstardom.

Upper body isn't nearly as important as lower body in the post and Sheed was well suited to back people up, he didn't workout and yeah he could have been 20% stronger than he was.

I don't think any good stretch 4 could become dirk because most of them really have practiced that hard. I don't think sheed did. I honestly don't think he really liked basketball all that much. Everything just came to him THAT easily. And no while he wouldn't be Dirk, he was more athletic, more explosive, and should have been a better post player. He just also could have had a mid range jumper close enough to dirk's. Remember this is a guy who was better at mid range shooting from 22-25 years old. Guys don't have these kinds of early career peaks like he did, unless...they just didn't keep trying.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,035

Post#62 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:33 pm

Rasheed is just as talented as anyone, he just really cared more about team success than about being "the guy". He was so extra passive, especially for a guy who was talking so much trash on the court.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,595

Post#63 » by NCHeels2008 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:11 pm

Spice Melange wrote:I dont think Sheed ranks very high. Sheed was like a poor mans KG with the mentality of DeMarcus Cousins and the overall impact of ZBo.

his teammates actually liked him and was beloved as a locker room leader
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#64 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:40 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:Rasheed is just as talented as anyone, he just really cared more about team success than about being "the guy". He was so extra passive, especially for a guy who was talking so much trash on the court.

No...he was a good teammate from what I've seen, and was fine filling in and doing dirty work. But no, if he wanted more success he should have worked harder on his game and been better. He didn't and it hurt his teams.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,005

Post#65 » by MrSparkle » Sat May 23, 2020 2:28 am

Kinda like Artest and Rodman... I think Sheed would easily be a top-50 all-time player if he didn't have his many technical foul moments and lapses. But hey maybe the anger was what drove him to play better, cause sometimes his in-game motor wasn't great. He did get a chip and no way in hell the Pistons win it without him, and maybe he probably would've never been available for trade if he was a good soldier. He was absolutely a trade deadline coup.
Zerostatic
General Manager
And1: 537

Post#66 » by Zerostatic » Sat May 23, 2020 4:05 am

When I Think Rasheed Wallace I think of fantasy basketball success. I remember my strategy was to go after 2-3 of Duncan, Webber, Garnett and Wallace. Since Wallace dropped a little later than the other 3 guys, I'd usually have him on my team and I won a lot.
Eric Millegan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,304

Post#67 » by Eric Millegan » Sat May 23, 2020 4:13 am

With Rasheed on your team, you could beat any team on any night. He led the Blazers to back to back WCFs (and almost an NBA Finals) and other successful regular seasons. He could outplay Duncan and KG whenever he wanted to. His defense was elite and his BBIQ was as high as anyone else in the NBA. When the Pistons won the title in 2004, they asked both Larry Brown and Billups separately what was the #1 reason they won and they both answered "Rasheed Wallace." He was so good defensively, was unstoppable in the post, and could shoot from outside. His teammates always loved him. And little known fact- in the 2004 NBA Finals, he had the most blocks of any player in the series. Big Rasheed fan here.
Check out "Around the NBA with Chris & Eric” on Underdog Podcasts.
Eric Millegan
Bench Warmer

Post#68 » by Eric Millegan » Sat May 23, 2020 4:16 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:Rasheed is just as talented as anyone, he just really cared more about team success than about being "the guy". He was so extra passive, especially for a guy who was talking so much trash on the court.

No...he was a good teammate from what I've seen, and was fine filling in and doing dirty work. But no, if he wanted more success he should have worked harder on his game and been better. He didn't and it hurt his teams.

He was ahead of his time. Everyone would bitch about him when he shot threes, that he shoot get his butt into the post. Nowadays, you'd want him shooting the threes. He knew a hard fought 2 was much less efficient and tiring than an easy step in 3. Also- he was suspended 7 games for going after an official in a parking garage. But guesss who that official was? Tim Donaghy. Sheed knew what was up. No wonder he got so many technicals.
Eric Millegan
Bench Warmer

Post#69 » by Eric Millegan » Sat May 23, 2020 4:17 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote: Sheed was rocking a legit beer belly by the end of his career. Sheed wasn't stronger because sheed didn't care.
He might've extended his carer by taking better care of his body but he wasn't super strong because he didn't have a super strong frame. My comparison was to Webber, who was just a bigger dude than Sheed in his upper body. Sheed with bigger muscles doesn't become Shaq--he just becomes himself with a little more strength, which means he's still not going to bully good defenders in the paint or shove people aside for boards. For the same reason that anyone who's his size/frame isn't.

dhsilv2 wrote: Sheed likely is never a great ball handler, but that didn't really stop Dirk.

Dirk is the greatest midrange shooter of his generation (if not ever) who had a crazy knack for shooting off-balanced and in weird angles. No logic in thinking that Sheed could've gotten there with a little more practice. Most NBA players have been working insanely hard everyday from the time they're like 9 years old on, and only one of them became Dirk. And Sheed clearly practiced shooting plenty, and had a great smooth stroke that got him most of his NBA points. Unless you honestly think that every stretch 4 with solid form could become Dirk if they put in more gym time, I think it's much safer to conclude that Sheed was a good not great NBA shooter who made good use of his jumper but didn't have the extremely rare ability to ride a jumper (without a driving game) to superstardom.

Upper body isn't nearly as important as lower body in the post and Sheed was well suited to back people up, he didn't workout and yeah he could have been 20% stronger than he was.

I don't think any good stretch 4 could become dirk because most of them really have practiced that hard. I don't think sheed did. I honestly don't think he really liked basketball all that much. Everything just came to him THAT easily. And no while he wouldn't be Dirk, he was more athletic, more explosive, and should have been a better post player. He just also could have had a mid range jumper close enough to dirk's. Remember this is a guy who was better at mid range shooting from 22-25 years old. Guys don't have these kinds of early career peaks like he did, unless...they just didn't keep trying.

If Rasheed didn't like basketball, why is he coaching it at the high school level?
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#70 » by Leslie Forman » Sat May 23, 2020 5:39 am

Superstar talent, role player mentality.

HotelVitale wrote:And Sheed clearly practiced shooting plenty

I would contend that he didn't. I would in fact say that he didn't really do enough of anything outside of the games and just didn't really care that much about reaching his maximum potential. I never saw Duncan do anything Sheed couldn't do. And hell, for all the attention Ben got for his defense, Sheed was actually the better man defender.

Sheed just happened to be cool with being a very good player and nothing more. Which is fine. He never had to deal with the pressure and fame of being a superstar yet still made superstar money and won a title. He did about as well as a guy who didn't take the game all that seriously could ever do.
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,261

Post#71 » by picc » Sat May 23, 2020 5:50 am

He left Horry.
Yinwest
Rookie
And1: 1,467

Post#72 » by Yinwest » Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 am

I remember even old man Sheed routinely made Dwight looked clueless.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#73 » by dhsilv2 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:09 am

Eric Millegan wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: He might've extended his carer by taking better care of his body but he wasn't super strong because he didn't have a super strong frame. My comparison was to Webber, who was just a bigger dude than Sheed in his upper body. Sheed with bigger muscles doesn't become Shaq--he just becomes himself with a little more strength, which means he's still not going to bully good defenders in the paint or shove people aside for boards. For the same reason that anyone who's his size/frame isn't.

If Rasheed didn't like basketball, why is he coaching it at the high school level?

Cause you're the same person at 25 and 45?
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 920

Post#74 » by dk1115 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:57 am

I can't imagine him even cracking the top 50.

On the other hand I think Brad daugherty was extremely underrated on the all time centers conversation.
HurdyGurdyMan
Sophomore
And1: 386

Post#75 » by HurdyGurdyMan » Sat May 23, 2020 9:57 am

would have been there with Duncan if he actually tried
the times, they are a-changing
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,877
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#76 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat May 23, 2020 10:13 am

He's not an all time great. He wasn't even a standout at the position in his own era, or even close to it, granted, it was the most stacked era of 4's.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
dennythedino
Senior
And1: 612

Post#77 » by dennythedino » Sat May 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Probably in the same tier as LaMarcus Aldridge and Paul Millsap. Whereas Millsap was an overachiever and Sheed was an underachiever (although he did win a ring).
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#78 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sat May 23, 2020 1:33 pm

dennythedino wrote:Probably in the same tier as LaMarcus Aldridge and Paul Millsap. Whereas Millsap was an overachiever and Sheed was an underachiever (although he did win a ring).

Thing is, LaMarcus has been productive for so long that he's very likely headed to the HOF. Puts him in a different class really.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#79 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sat May 23, 2020 1:37 pm

dk1115 wrote:I can't imagine him even cracking the top 50.

On the other hand I think Brad daugherty was extremely underrated on the all time centers conversation.

Yes and no. I think when you put together a Top 25 list of centers, Brad has generally squeezed in, although you might have to extend that to 30 with the modern centers edging in. He was talented, but never truly dominant/franchise level. He had defensive issues. And then of course he had a short career because of the injuries. Certainly doesn't deserve to be forgotten about by people with some history of the game, but he only got to 10kpts 5kreb before things broke down for him.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Post#80 » by HMFFL » Sat May 23, 2020 2:13 pm

I enjoyed watching his entire career. He probably among the all-time in win/loss percentages. The only losing seasons he has was his rookie season with Washington and the 2008-09 Detroit team.

Imagine if Washington had they kept Rasheed and developed this front court.

Juwan Howard 22yrs old (Drafted by Washington)

Chris Webber 22yrs old (Forced trade to Washington after ROY season)

Rasheed Wallace 21yrs old (Traded to Portland after rookie season)

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to The General Board